Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Are your HDs doing curbside pickup? I can order online at the local Rona building supply store (funny name at this point in history) and call them when I get there and they'll come out and put it on the curb and leave, then I pick it up and also leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geese
May 29, 2007

This goose is cooked.
Hi folks. Looking for some help/advice from some other Albertans.

I’m trying to sell a 2002 Mazda Tribute with about 98000 km. It was my grandmothers car in Ontario and I inherited it and brought it out to Alberta 2 years ago. She rarely drove it except groceries and stuff. Had to put $1800 into it to pass the out of province inspection, but since then it’s been fairly reliable.

I’ve been preparing it for sale and brought it to my local Fountain Tire for an oil change and to change over the winter tires. I’ve been going to this FT for 4 years and I trust the guys there. A couple day’s before my appointment I took it out for a spin and it just wasn’t accelerating. Turns out the throttle accelerator cable got stretch out and needed replacement, which isn’t a big repair.

They did that repair, and took it out and it was still acting up. They did some investigations and the whole catalytic converter system is apparently hosed and they estimated $3000 repair (with new parts, tax, labour).

Like I said, I’m trying to sell this car. I had it listed on kijiji for $5k and had a lot of interest, but now I don’t know what to do. Nobody would buy it as-is (i think). My wife has a crappy 2012 Versa so I’m considering trading in both cars to a dealership, if a dealership would take them.

UPDATE: just sold it as-is.

geese fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 15, 2020

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I thought emissions had a federally mandated 180k km warranty, no?

I'm glad you sold it, but I think any dealership should have fixed it for free.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

First full blown tornado warning this year. Touchdown about 25km due south of me, moving NE so towards the Town of Taber.

Weather radar was pretty colorful this afternoon/evening.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I guess NE calgary got totally hosed by hail too. 2 inch hailstones in some places, houses and cars pretty messed up.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yuck. Some car dealerships near here have started putting netting over their entire lots to stop hail damage. Guess is they probably can't get insurance anymore so it's cheaper to do that.

Other radar of the storms

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Haha holy poo poo

gently caress vinyl siding forever

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Happy Canada Day goons!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

:toot: :canada:

I need to go to Edmonton for a few days next week. Has anyone been through the mountain parks lately? Mrs. and I are thinking of taking advantage of the lack of tourists to hit Jasper/Banff/LL on the way back.

Are they as quiet as I hope the would be? Or have the masses of foreign invaders just been replaced by masses of fellow albortions?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
No idea what the traffic is like, but my brother did tell me they just finished repaving the 1A west of Castle Junction, so that's open again. (east of is still closed.) He also said it was quiet for him. I was thinking about running up the icefields parkway this weekend...

geese
May 29, 2007

This goose is cooked.
Posting from Jasper right now...the weather is kind of lovely with rain but it’s pretty quiet for a Canada day weekend. I’ve been here on Canada day before and it’s crazy packed. Mostly Alberta and BC plates here. No traffic at all.

We’re heading down the ice fields parkway tomorrow for a night in Lake Louise.

We were also in Canmore/Banff at the beginning on June when things just opened up and it was completely dead. All the hotels are discounted significantly so it’s a good time to go.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So whats better do you think.... book online or do a walkup?

geese
May 29, 2007

This goose is cooked.
We drove down the parkway to lake Louise from jasper today and there was no traffic at all. Lots of hotels with vacancies. We’re actually staying at deer lodge in lake Louise tonight for $300 and they’re usually $500+ under normal circumstances. And they have a vacancy!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Non-clapped out SC400 coming up for auction next week
https://www.maauctions.com/details/autolistingyeg_1_2019.aspx

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If you mean the tan one, it was repaired very poorly quite a while ago. the right rear quarter is off-color and rusty.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

lovely. I dig the Volvo more anyhow :3:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yesssssss

:supaburn:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

nooooooooooooo.

I was dead at 19 degrees doing yard work. only supposed to be 31*c here but that's still way too much for me.

And of course being Red Deer, there's also a risk of thunderstorms.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

JFC
Welcome to November

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Welcome back to slidebite's Alberta weather channel where one of us celebrates hot weather and the other resignings himself to more torture

It's OK buddy - it's short lived. :)

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
+32 in Three Hills today. hardly any cloud. Too hot to wear my watch.

Absolutely rude. Work suuuuuucked.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I get the sense we're in for a nasty storm season this year.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Definitely a lot of energy being built up in the atmosphere. Could be a little sporty. We skirted the storms yesterday but I could see an absolutely wicked thunderhead east of me at sunset which was gorgeous.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Based on the amount of lightning (that a failed to get pictures of) dancing around in the clouds over my house last night, yeah this is probably the beginning of a good storm season for the province.

Which means fire season is going to suuuuuuck this year as well.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Stay safe Alberta goons :ohdear:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Currently, I think it's more likely to be the prison scene with Rorschach. It's the rest of the country that should be staying safe because you're now locked in with us.

I would like to offer my condolences for our provincial government.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I listened to an interesting interview on CBC with a harvard immunologist and she says it's a reasonable to relax, but I can't help but think rolling back quarantine and *testing* of all things is bizarre. It's smells of a Trump method of getting lower numbers by not testing :downs:

It's almost like Kenney is trying to get thrown out next election.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Somebody tell Hinshaw to blink twice if she issued that directive under duress

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Haha no poo poo.

Find out of her kids are at home or on "vacation" with Uncle Shandro

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Haha no poo poo.

Find out of her kids are at home or on "vacation" with Uncle Shandro

Shandro is the one who had that weird story about getting harassed by some anti-masker chuds and having to throw his kids over a fence to get them away from the hee-haw murder squad. You'd think out of all the people in the government, he'd want to stick it back to 'em.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I remember burger baron being mentioned a few times, just came across this on CBC. Looks like a documentary will be coming out next month.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/burger-baron-documentary-1.6142205

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

slidebite posted:

I remember burger baron being mentioned a few times, just came across this on CBC. Looks like a documentary will be coming out next month.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/burger-baron-documentary-1.6142205

Yeah I'm looking forward to that one. Looks interesting.

I also really, really want a mushroom burger.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yeah I would like very much to do that cross province burger baron TM2TW.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yeah I would like very much to do that cross province burger baron TM2TW.

Not an empty quote.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

:lol: That would be awesome. :burger:

I had no idea there were so many :eyepop:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burger_Baron#Locations

quote:

Caroline
Carstairs
Bonnyville
Drayton Valley
Edmonton (4)
Hanna
High Prairie
Kelowna, BC
Lac La Biche
Lacombe
Lamont
Leduc
Maskwacis
Mayerthorpe
Onoway
Raymond
Redwater
Rocky Mountain House
St. Paul
Sundre
Swan Hills
Tofield
Valleyview
Wabasca
Wainwright
Whitecourt
Assuming you must eat at each one, that might take a bit... Hell, the ones within a couple of hours of Edmonton might take a while on their own.

Kelowna BC is surprising to me and easily the outlier with Raymond (ironically the closest one to me) being the runner up for remoteness?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/racetrack-alberta-carstairs-motorsports-1.6218964
So, this seems to be further along than I thought. Appears to be all asphalted and planing for a spring opening as long as winter isn't too harsh.

I did not realize it was right off the intersection of Secondary 581 & QE2. That is super easy to access.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Yeah the OG site was off the beaten path a bit but the one that actually got county approval is super convenient. I meant to go take a look while they were grading it but ugh, summers always end up being just a little too busy.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm real excited to be able to put in some track time without trailering or riding up to Edmonton (which I never bothered to do)

Was at dinner with my brother tonight and he was really impressed by Area 27 out by Penticton too

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Where should I be looking for black Friday / Cyber Monday deals on clutches? TDot Performance has a 10% off coupon.

Unfortunately, even after that discount it's still more expensive than ordering an ACT from Togue Tuning out of Ontario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It's not much, but autopartsway.ca has a 10% code

BLK2021