Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Yeah this past monday my only job was 'start trucks', 3 of them started right away and 3 of them took a combined 10 hours. The Chinook rolling in yesterday afternoon was so loving welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They've been filming season 5 of Fargo in didsbury for the last few days.

Unfortunately it's set in 2019, so no cool cars left over when they're done.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I mean, you wouldn't want to have anything particularly cool rolling around Didsbury anyway. Town that size and half of it is unpaved, just lmao

And one of the biggest operations in town is a goddamn asphalt company, you'd think it would be easy.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So is the use like truck market and Toyota's in particular still stupid high?

I've got an option to buy out a 2010 Tacoma fleet vehicle from my company. Fair to good condition 212k. Paint chips for sure, but I'll replace the windshield and any dents through a microdent place. Extended cab. Not double cab, but it is an auto 4x4 and a TRD sticker on the box. Whether that means something or not, I don't know. .

Mechanically solid.

Trying to get a rough idea for market price. Think it's 20k?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Used fleet spec SuperCab F150's from 2015-2016 are $16-18k, so with the Toyota tax that's about right.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

OK - thanks. Just mulling over whether it's worth my time. Might be.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

These are similar results from Regal to get an idea of the low end.

I've been F5ing on this for the last 2 days hoping it's not a total rustheap.

https://regalauctions.com/inventory.php?a=details&contract=61411

The Besta was Korean built based on the Mazda Bongo and only sold in Canada in Vancouver and Calgary.

e: right after i posted they updated it and it looks pretty dang rough and a lot higher mileage than showing.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 3, 2023

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Hmmm. My fleet buyout is in the low teens. By the time I put some time and a couple K into it, might be a little close.

It does run really well though, but has a lot of paint chips which are old so there is surface rust starting to show on the chip. No bubbling underneath, just literally at the chip itself.

It's close... but might not be worthwhile.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

The Besta was Korean built based on the Mazda Bongo and only sold in Canada in Vancouver and Calgary.

e: right after i posted they updated it and it looks pretty dang rough and a lot higher mileage than showing.

Buy the Besta

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I looked into it, but a new windshield is $600 usd before shipping and the speedometer probably stopped working 200,000kms ago.

it went for $1,250 because where else are you going to find a RWD manual minivan, but there was nothing there for me.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

If any of us wanted to swap an F motor into a Miata it woulda been a useful donor but otherwise, yeah hard meh

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah. The mileage was very wrong and a windshield is $600usd before shipping.

Most of it is Mazda b2200 parts but it was just way too deep of a hole to fall into.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Are there any online tools to calculate the increase in premiums if you make a claim? I was in a minor fender-bender - my fault unfortunately - and I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to go through insurance. I can get a quote, but I don't particularly want to put my name down with an insurer given that I'm debating whether to make a claim or not.

I would probably go through insurance (drat expensive plastic bumpers), but it would be my second claim within two years.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I don't think there is a calculator as every insurance company is probably going to be a little different.

I've outright asked my insurance company before. If it's not on record (or on your drivers abstract) I really don't think they care. If you deal with a broker (as opposed to directly with the insurance co) I'd just ask them for sure.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Albino Squirrel posted:

Are there any online tools to calculate the increase in premiums if you make a claim? I was in a minor fender-bender - my fault unfortunately - and I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to go through insurance. I can get a quote, but I don't particularly want to put my name down with an insurer given that I'm debating whether to make a claim or not.

I would probably go through insurance (drat expensive plastic bumpers), but it would be my second claim within two years.

ICBC would actually tell you and show you how much you would pay over time, vs paying for the claim yourself.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ImplicitAssembler posted:

ICBC would actually tell you and show you how much you would pay over time, vs paying for the claim yourself.

You don't make poo poo tons of profit by telling people the cheaper way to do things.

Alberta's average car insurance rates are over double BCs.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

And IIRC SGI is even better.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Turbo Fondant posted:

And IIRC SGI is even better.

SGI also operates a bunch of wrecking yards with good, upfront prices. When i was fixing up that Mark LT, it was literally cheaper to rent a car and drive to saskatoon and back overnight than pay local prices.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Powershift posted:

You don't make poo poo tons of profit by telling people the cheaper way to do things.

Alberta's average car insurance rates are over double BCs.

ICBC used to be very bad, but it's improved a lot and having a one-stop shop for license, registration and insurance was super handy. I ended up signing up with AMA here, as it was getting silly running around getting this and that document done in 3 different places ('importing' a car from a difference province is difficult, you know...)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ImplicitAssembler posted:

ICBC used to be very bad, but it's improved a lot and having a one-stop shop for license, registration and insurance was super handy. I ended up signing up with AMA here, as it was getting silly running around getting this and that document done in 3 different places ('importing' a car from a difference province is difficult, you know...)

Alberta made the car registration stuff available online, but they charge a $5 service charge and you have to chose a local registry to give the commission to even though they don't touch the process at all and have absolutely no ability to help you or correct things if they go wrong.

At Michener Allen on auction weekends there used to be people that would charge $150 for 3 days insurance and sell transit stickers right there. Now i can add stuff to my insurance online and transit stickers are $24 online. What's wild to me is that you can get transit stickers for salvage vehicles which seems nuts.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Powershift posted:

SGI also operates a bunch of wrecking yards with good, upfront prices. When i was fixing up that Mark LT, it was literally cheaper to rent a car and drive to saskatoon and back overnight than pay local prices.

Yeah when our pilot car ('14 f150) got rear ended we grabbed a box and some other bits from an SGI yard, they were super cheap and easy to deal with (although they did wreck the taillight harness unnecessarily on the way out so I had to gently caress around pulling the OG truck's harness through the new box, including back up camera). They're also using car-part's software for lookup now which is nice (if a little tedious at times)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Fired up the 996. Forgot never bothered to put it on the quick jack this winter so tires were flat spotted pretty bad lol.

But, was nice to go for a rip, Even with bug guts still on it from last year.

I still grin a bit opening it up in 2nd and 3rd, just sounds great.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

On one hand i can't believe it's almost April already, on the other hand this winter felt super loving long.

I only took the car out once this winter when the batteries in my truck finally died completely and it's amazing that -10 after sitting for months it just works like a modern car. Having sat though it is leaking like a bastard.

I'm going to try to take my nephew to World of Wheels at the stampede grounds in Calgary next saturday.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Glad this thread still exists.

I have to do a drive in a few weeks to Southern Ontario and back from Calgary. I have the obligatory windshield crack, its low so not obstructing my view at all but its long and just in the area swept by the windshield wipers. What are the odds my red license plate will be waving a red flag to attract fines in Sask, Man, and Ont?

I ask in part because to get it replaced will require some rust work (there is a leak into the driver's side), which I was just quoted as costing $1800 all in. Or I just slap some more silicone onto the areas where a leak is occurring and hope for the best since this is a 16 year old car and it seems insane to put that much more into it. OTOH, car prices these days.

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 29, 2023

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Is it a commercial vehicle? Then cops/scales care.

If not, then you caught a stone on your cross province drive yesterday and will replace it once at destination/home.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

iv46vi posted:

Is it a commercial vehicle? Then cops/scales care.

If not, then you caught a stone on your cross province drive yesterday and will replace it once at destination/home.

That's excellent advice, thanks

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It would have to be one hell of an rear end in a top hat cop.

A few years ago asked a cop I knew if he could give me a written warning because a twit from my company was balking at replacing the windshield in my work truck. He said sure but it took him a few minutes to find the appropriate section in the code :lol: He said he's literally never given anyone a ticket for a windshield before.

Also, good morning Alberta. Say hi to the new boss, same as the old boss.

Fuller9x
Feb 15, 2005

Gimme Milk

slidebite posted:

It would have to be one hell of an rear end in a top hat cop.

Also, good morning Alberta. Say hi to the new boss, same as the old boss.

Looking forward to the sovereign nation of Edmonton separating from the independant state of Alberta.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

folks know of decent used car lots in Calgary that are not run by scammers and have some selection (knowing what the car market is like of course)

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Going to have to go winter tire shopping (plus rims) at some point before snow falls. There good times for sales out there?

Last time I asked ITT I was recommended the General Altimax Arctics, this still reliable or is there another tire I should be considering? For an AWD compact SUV

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

Going to have to go winter tire shopping (plus rims) at some point before snow falls. There good times for sales out there?

Last time I asked ITT I was recommended the General Altimax Arctics, this still reliable or is there another tire I should be considering? For an AWD compact SUV

Costco mounts+balances for half the price of anybody else at this point which is an $80 savings and more than pays for a membership if you don't have and often has 50-300 off sets of different manufacturers at different points in time.

Stock for new tires everywhere is a bit fucky right now, so go there, plug in yhour model, and see what's available.

https://tires.costco.ca/

Right now pretty much every big brand is $200 off under $1500 which is a pretty deep discount.

e: apparently It's a canada day thing only for orders placed today, but each of these brands will rotate similar discounts throughout the year before winter.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 1, 2023

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Powershift posted:

Costco mounts+balances for half the price of anybody else at this point which is an $80 savings and more than pays for a membership if you don't have and often has 50-300 off sets of different manufacturers at different points in time.

Stock for new tires everywhere is a bit fucky right now, so go there, plug in yhour model, and see what's available.

https://tires.costco.ca/

Right now pretty much every big brand is $200 off under $1500 which is a pretty deep discount.

e: apparently It's a canada day thing only for orders placed today, but each of these brands will rotate similar discounts throughout the year before winter.

Awesome thanks! Too bad its a Canada Day thing as I am a little cash poor after having just bought a car but will keep refreshing the site as winter approaches. I do not have a Costco membership but its probably time to do so as it will also save huge on lift tickets for skiing season!

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Dark horse option is an online retailer I have used twice now with great success.

Black Circles

I have only purchased tires from them but they also offer complete wheel and tires packages with everything balanced.

Date codes on the tires on sale have both been 6 months at the absolute oldest.

Edit: Both times the tires have shown up at my door within 72 hours of hitting the purchase button.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 1, 2023

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Again, appreciated. I am not a car guy so one can assume I don't know the obvious.

Like, where should I be selling my old winter tires on steel rims? Is Kijiji the go to place or are there better, more car specific places (Calgary)?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

online I am seeing the usual recommendations for Blizzaks, Michelin X-Ice, plus a rotating cast of Nokians, Continentals, etc.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Bilirubin posted:

Again, appreciated. I am not a car guy so one can assume I don't know the obvious.

Like, where should I be selling my old winter tires on steel rims? Is Kijiji the go to place or are there better, more car specific places (Calgary)?

Kijiji or Facebook Marketplace works. The latter usually gets more low-info buyers and sellers. The former will probably get you a faster sale but with a lowball.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Bilirubin posted:

online I am seeing the usual recommendations for Blizzaks, Michelin X-Ice, plus a rotating cast of Nokians, Continentals, etc.

X-Ice are fantastic. Current Blizzaks are ok. I wasn't able to chase Nokians in the states, they simply weren't available in the sizes I needed.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

If I scrap the car that is currently east of Regina with my Alberta plate still on it, will this cause issues with cancelling the registration? I don't want to drive all the way back out there just to get it.

The scrapper didn't think it would be a problem but all of the information I can find online seem to expect I will physically hand over the plate. Unfortunately when I went to the registry to ask I was confronted by a queue of like 50 people and a sign notifying of a province wide outage :toot:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Our vehicle title system is straight out of 1947.

You should have signed a bill of sale to the scrapper and gotten a copy for yourself. That's pretty much it. You can use the bill of sale at the DMV to register a transfer of ownership so if the car is used in a crime or found abandoned they don't come after you for it, but it'll probably be cubed and in a container to India by August.

You only need to cancel it if there's enough value left in it to get a refund after the fees, otherwise it just ends when the registration expires. If you bought a new car, you can just transfer the registration plate when you're registering the new one to move the remaining time the registration is valid for over it it.

Your license plate is yours, it's tied to you, not the car. You keep it. I have the plate that was on my first truck on one of my cars now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Powershift posted:

Our vehicle title system is straight out of 1947.

You should have signed a bill of sale to the scrapper and gotten a copy for yourself. That's pretty much it. You can use the bill of sale at the DMV to register a transfer of ownership so if the car is used in a crime or found abandoned they don't come after you for it, but it'll probably be cubed and in a container to India by August.

You only need to cancel it if there's enough value left in it to get a refund after the fees, otherwise it just ends when the registration expires. If you bought a new car, you can just transfer the registration plate when you're registering the new one to move the remaining time the registration is valid for over it it.

Your license plate is yours, it's tied to you, not the car. You keep it. I have the plate that was on my first truck on one of my cars now.

Right. But the plate is physically very distant from me, and I really don't wish to drive all the way there just to get it. The scrapper says "he can get rid of it" but because of what you say I'm trying to figure out if its even possible.