Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
okay
Jan 28, 2009
This is my first NICSA and and I'm not that great of a food photographer, but being a NOLA goon I figured it wouldn't be right if I didn't give this a go.

To keep with the southern theme, what could be more appropriate than shrimp and grits!

First the ingredients:

We'll start off by sauteing a couple of cloves of garlic and some onion in butter. Once the house smells really good, add in some flour, cream, BEER (I used the blonde form Tin Roof), your corn and your tomatoes. The store didn't have fresh corn. I was disappointed.

Looking good.

While that's simmering let's chop up some Andouille Sausage.

Brown it in a separate skillet and then toss it into the Bisque. If you want to make your cardiologist happy, you can drain beforehand.

While that's simmering some more go ahead and peel your shrimp. Don't forget to remove the poop chute, unless you're into that kind of thing... Once our shrimp are skinned and flailed, toss them up in some crab boil.

Toss 'em into the bisque. We're going to let them stew for about eight minutes. Don't overcook the shrimp. As soon as they turn opaque, stick a fork in them because they are done!

Meanwhile, let's start the grits.

Ingredients:

Grits

The other stuff

Bring your beer/ water combo to a boil (I used a 1:1 ratio). Cook your grits. When most of the water had been absorbed, I added another splash of our blonde. When all the liquid has been absorbed, add your Parmesan cheese, a splash of cream, butter, salt and pepper to the grits. Our bisque should be off the heat by now.

Serve with some toasted bread and your favorite beer of choice.

Yum.

But wait, that's not all folks. A NOLA style boozy meal wouldn't be the same without some bread pudding!

Ingredients

(not shown - vanilla and cream); Pro-tip, day old french bread works best.

Start off by shredding up your french bread.

Add your cream, milk, vanilla, sugar, raisins, butter, cinnamon and nutmeg. Bonus pictures of cat measuring cup.

Let's bring that to a boil and then simmer for about five minutes. Pour the sauce over the bread. Add four beaten eggs to the bread and gently mix. Time for the oven!

Now for the sauce:

Mix a bunch or cream, a bit of milk, and some sugar in a saucepan. While this is warming up, mix together some rum (I used Old New Orleans, which is delicious) and cornstarch. Add to the saucepan along with a tiny pinch of salt and some butter. We'll also bring this to a boil and then simmer for a few minutes. After we take it off the heat, we'll add a splash more rum (we have to replace the alcohol we just burnt off).

Forty five minutes after putting the bread pudding in the over, it's time for the money shot:

With sauce!

Served with a cocktail of rum, milk, a splash of Kahlua and cinnamon. Yum.

All in all I'm pretty happy with how this came out. If I could change a few things, I would probably use a bit less crab boil on the shrimp (the bisque has a pretty strong heat which I think a lot of folk would like but can be too much for me), thicken up the bread pudding sauce with some corn starch and make a lighter cocktail to go with dessert. I'm still thoroughly happy with the results, though.

I hope you guys enjoyed this rendition of NICSA. Ya'll come back now!

(Mods, would you please change my tag. My finger slipped on the submit post when I was previewing. I would appreciate it).

okay fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

That bread pudding looks amazing.

okay
Jan 28, 2009

Drink and Fight posted:

That bread pudding looks amazing.

Thank you Drink and Fight! Seems like your kind of meal :) It was a pretty easy dessert all in all. I'm of the opinion that the rum sauce makes it.

okay fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 15, 2014

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Bam! And I'm not just saying this because I'm posting from Nola, but I would eat the poo poo out of that.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Holy hell this looks fantastic! Now I need shrimp and grits.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

All of that looks delicious, even the bread pudding and I'm not overly fond of sweets/desserts.

I was going to give you poo poo for using pre-ground black pepper, but then I saw the kitty measuring cup and it won me over.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
This all looks good, but that pudding especially so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

okay
Jan 28, 2009
Thanks everyone for the nice words! I am ashamed that the pepper wasn't fresh. I ran out of the good stuff earlier this week and forgot to replenish my stocks.

okay fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 16, 2014

• Locked thread