Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Joshlemagne posted:

Not sure what you mean. The anime has followed the manga pretty closely so far.

That face is amazing. I'm loving the silliness of this series and the characters acknowledgement of said silliness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Blhue posted:

Someone said earlier that the actual manga hewed closer to the shoujo-ey cliches that the show seems to be mocking. Looks like that might not be entirely accurate though.

i read a few issues and it's definitely shoujo, dress up competitions instead of shooting each other for example but it was still pretty crazy

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Davincie posted:

i read a few issues and it's definitely shoujo, dress up competitions instead of shooting each other for example but it was still pretty crazy

In the earliest chapters Momoka is a lot more normal, though still very violent, especially for a shoujo protagonist. For example, in the manga when she's in the train car she's in the process of turning around to punch the molester in the face when Miou intervenes. It takes a few chapters for her to get to where she's at personality-wise in the anime from the start, but she does get there. They just made her more consistent in the anime.

The anime has been tweaking the source material but it's more about recognizing what made the manga funny and kicking it up a notch rather than fundamentally reimagining it like c3bu apparently was.

Edit: Basically what I'm saying is manga Momoka will still totally club a nerd over the head to win at a videogame.

Joshlemagne fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 9, 2014

Thurm
Nov 11, 2008
I've only seen the first couple of chapters but manga Sonokawa doesn't seem to be as sociopathic at the start. For example she doesn't take her revenge on the two girls who bullied her.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Joshlemagne posted:

Not sure what you mean. The anime has followed the manga pretty closely so far.

Yeah, but does she kick him while he is lying unconscious on the floor? This is important.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
The manga itself has a lot of the things that makes the anime funny but it's still a shoujo manga and has quite a bit of shoujou cliche which the anime has taken out in favour of making the protagonist more of a terrible person.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
I used to think the "transformation sequence" whenever momoka pulls out a gun was stupid but i'm starting to love it :allears:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Wallrod posted:

I used to think the "transformation sequence" whenever momoka pulls out a gun was stupid but i'm starting to love it :allears:

This is how it always goes with transformation sequences: First you wonder why they're so long and like, who cares? And then you get really bored seeing them multiple times. However, past a certain point you get the pavlovs dog thing where you start to get really pumped seeing them, and finally you actually start to get mad if they ever cut the sequence down for some reason. Anime is terrifying.

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

The Yakuza shootout at the end was gold. I love how every episode ends with a fight that's more over the top than the last.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Remember, there's nothing a masochist hates more than a fake sadist.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Widdiful posted:

The Yakuza shootout at the end was gold. I love how every episode ends with a fight that's more over the top than the last.

The best part about that segment was the fact that they all had men's bodies

And the line about swimsuits being impractical for airsoft in the preview feels like it was a shot at C3-bu.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Wasn't a fan about the President part, but the ending was great.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I liked the President part because it highlighted how insane all the club members are.
And Momoka learned not to do the James Bond villain thing from the Yakuza movie :v:

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
You would think by this point all of the club members would have learned to never go into a truce with each other, or at least if someone offers to go into a truce make that the first person you shoot.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
After last week's Nozaki-kun, I have to assume that Sabagebu's editor told the author to include a platypus.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
The post-intro bits with student council girl were a bit weak, but then holy poo poo yakuza outfits out of nowhere.

edit: WHY ARE YOU FILMING ME?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

InspectorCarbonara posted:

You would think by this point all of the club members would have learned to never go into a truce with each other, or at least if someone offers to go into a truce make that the first person you shoot.
Or at least not make a truce with the one who really enjoys stepping over allied corpses.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Poil posted:

Or at least not make a truce with the one who really enjoys stepping over allied corpses.

To be fair, Urara loves it when Momoka steps all over her.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Will Momoka ever conquer her most fearsome and bloody nemesis? The bane of her existence? The humble yet deadly Small Rock?

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

She is already a being that transcends good and evil, give it time.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

StandardVC10 posted:

The post-intro bits with student council girl were a bit weak

What

I thought that was one of the best parts.

"We have two members attending a tournament"
"One of our members set a new record!"
"We have 13 counts of property damage, 2 injuries, and four warnings from the police."

Edit: Wait you said post-intro. NEVERMIND.

khy fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Aug 11, 2014

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
At the end, I expected Kamo/Platy to pop out and beak Momoka in the noggin.

God this show rocks.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Note that you can skip the first nine minutes of the episode, it's literally written by the president of some kind of hunting organization and it's all about getting a hunting licence. I kind of love that it's there but it isn't funny, except in a kind of meta way.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

What's wrong with putting up a fence? Morons.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I have a small fence around my garden. A gopher was eating all of my vegetables. No longer.

The gun gave away who the "stalker" was in the final segment. She is by far the best character in the series.

It's far better to wear one of these to your child's school than embarrass her by visiting as yourself, right?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

The Devil Tesla posted:

Note that you can skip the first nine minutes of the episode, it's literally written by the president of some kind of hunting organization and it's all about getting a hunting licence. I kind of love that it's there but it isn't funny, except in a kind of meta way.
The sudden 'blood' vomit was hilarious and why would you want to skip what is basically a pro-gun ad from Japan in a show all about being evil?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The Devil Tesla posted:

The end of that skit made me laugh, the old guy just sat there, laughing at them for trying it when under-age.

Plus, a bit of seriousness can be good in between the constant jokes.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It makes no sense to put an ad like that in this show and I am extremely glad it's in there :v:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

The Devil Tesla posted:

I thought the over-dramatization of the villagers' plight was hilarious.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I assume the joke was that it was such blatant propaganda that it wraps around and displays their ulterior motive. Like some village fed some excess harvest to the wildlife to make them out as the victims, the old guy spits out tomato juice, and why doesn't the granddaughter call any more?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I knew something was wrong with the first segment when Momoka didn't delight in massacring cute animals.

Fortunately the last segment more than made up for it.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Oh and apparently this is actually a Thing.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

AnacondaHL posted:

I thought the over-dramatization of the villagers' plight was hilarious.

If I remember correctly the script alone was from the hunting club. Everything else is probably the sabagebu team's doing, including the :swoon: vermin and the coughing up tomato juice.

I want to believe that's how it is.

e: vvv My immersion. :sigh: vvv

Alpha Kenny Juan fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 19, 2014

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

If I remember correctly the script alone was from the hunting club. Everything else is probably the sabagebu team's doing, including the :swoon: vermin and the coughing up tomato juice.

I want to believe that's how it is.

The writer is listed as "Takamitsu Kono, Member of Tokyo Hunting Association," but it just so happens that there is a Takamitsu Kono who wrote episode scripts for Love Lab, Minami-ke, YuruYuri, and Mitsudomoe. I don't think that's a coincidence.

duvel
Dec 13, 2008
The main thing that amazed me was how much harder getting a hunting license is in Japan. I guess it being one of the only ways to legally own a firearm is part of it, and also I'm used to the southern US' way of handling things, where hunting is rather celebrated.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Well, at least the special snow mountain outfits were a little funny.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

RIP Maya and the lady team. They all died of hypothermia

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yuru Yuri did it better. :colbert:
And less creepy.

Poil fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Poil posted:

Yuru yuri did it better. :colbert:
And less creepy.

This. They turned up the creep factor to uncomfortable this episode. Geez.

• Locked thread