Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

What is this? The Strain is new series on FX based on a horror trilogy by Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth, Pacific Rim, Blade II) and Chuck Hogan (Prince of Thieves, which became the movie The Town). Initially developed as a TV series, when del Toro couldn't get any buyers he went to Hogan to develop his ideas into a series of novels. Once those became a hit, FX decided to pick it up to series. Current discussion among the producers is for the series to span 35-70 episodes, with season one covering the first book, season two the second and seasons three and four covering book three. However, they've noted they might expand on things when new concepts and ideas hit them as the series develops.

What's it about? A plane lands at John F. Kennedy International Airport with the lights off and doors sealed. Epidemiologist Dr. Ephraim Goodweather and his team are sent to investigate. On board they find two hundred corpses and four survivors. The situation deteriorates when the bodies begin disappearing from morgues. Goodweather and a small group of helpers find themselves battling to protect not only their own loved ones, but the entire city, from an ancient threat to humanity. Elsewhere in a pawnshop in Spanish Harlem, a former professor and survivor of the Holocaust named Abraham Setrakian knows something is happening. And he knows the time has come, that a war is brewing.

Spoiler alert, they're vampires caused by a gross parasitic infection. Ever seen the del Toro directed Blade II? Imagine the political and vampire gene ideas from Blade II, except instead of Blade, it's Whistler as one of the leads.

The cast features Corey Stoll, David Bradley and Sean Astin.

Why should I watch? Good question, reaction to the pilot has been mixed but I've heard good things about the novels. The series is filmed in Toronto (filling in for New York) and it gave me a similar gothic vibe to the Blade series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I'm not sure why no one is picking up that his hair is made out of those worm things. I mean it's fairly obvious guys.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Yeah that was ridiculous. No one in the city went to the city morgue all day?

But was it two days? I thought it seemed from one night to the next.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Drifter posted:

Also, I was kinda laughing at the whole hacker chick being in the gas station with them.

Yeah, this episode really played up the absurdity of the characters bumping into each other all the time. We already got that earlier this season with the clock robbery. I'm not sure if that is a thing in the books too, or if it's ever even explained if so. It's playing out like Lost, but I have yet to get the sense there was some over-arching mythology in control of these coincidences.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

That was a pretty boring way to end a season. After this mess of a run though, I guess it's to be expected.

I think my largest problem with the story, and that's after accepting a lot of vampire physiology weirdness and dumb character choices, comes with the world not immediately knowing poo poo is going down and quarantining NYC half way through the season. I'm sorry, even if you "kill" the internet and cell phones, you can still transmit news, photographs and video without your smartphone. Plus if you're going to "kill" the internet and cell phones, make it a blanket death, don't let them work half the time in the show. There was no reason for the show not to do that either, you still essentially can reach the same point you are now with it getting made public, and not treat society as completely brain dead to do so.

And if the show begins next season with the CDC guy being a puppet and promoting that NYC is fine...

Teek fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Oct 6, 2014

• Locked thread