Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

SO I watched the pilot and thought it looked kinda neat. It was pretty fun.

Would I be doing a disservice to myself if I were to read the books before the show itself is finished, or should I do the show first, and then the books? If the books are just that much better than the show then I'd probably just read 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

Darko posted:

The books are making the show more boring for me, but it's mostly because the more interesting stuff happens towards the end of the first book, in comparison.

Perhaps I'll just watch the show once it's completely aired if I enjoy the books. I'll watch one more episode tonight before I make any rash decisions.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

The Master's voice was pretty cool, as well.

The show's fun. I'm going to keep watching it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

SouthLAnd posted:

Terriers had a way better drunk, but oh well.

Man, that was a REALLY good show. I liked it a lot.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

Basebf555 posted:

Yea, the worms use personal connections between people as the mechanism for spreading the infection as fast as possible. Something to do with brain chemicals. The idea is people will hesitate when they see a loved one and won't fight back.

Thanksgiving and the inlaws visiting are the vampires only weaknesses.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

CODChimera posted:

I just really love how poorly everyone is handling this situation.

TO me, the funniest part is how apparently the master vampire shits over all the people he kills.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

The season finale will have him facing off against the master vampire and as they stand beside each other he'll go "here, buddy" and put the wig onto the vampire's bald head and says more, "You know, that's the problem with you vampires", and then the sun comes up and the vampire poofs into ashes and the camera shot cuts to a pile of ash with a wig and then the CDC guy takes off his sunglasses and tosses them on the ashes such that it looks like the ashes is wearing them as well and then he says to Van Helsing or whomever he was "You're hair today, but gone tomorrow." Van Helsing looks at CDC guy and says "I did nazi that coming." And then they both laugh and walk down the street.

As the old dude and the CDC guy walk into the sunrise, and as it all fades to black for the credits, instead of a tooth sparkle a sunbeam makes his newly bald head sparkle.

After the credits a worm crawls from out of the ashes and wriggles away wearing the sunglasses and hairpiece.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

HIS HAIR JUST HAS VOLUME IT'S NOT A WIG

Leave Corey Stolls alone!!!

Speaking of wigs and nipples and whatnot, are there wigs for chests? Like, what if some stylish manscapers thought "You know what would look fabulous alongside my stars and stripes paid speedos? A little Tom Selleck chestache."

Drifter fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 22, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

The first 15 minutes were loving terrible.

"That plane is dead. It's a dead plane."
*feels belly of the plane*
"Yup, it's cold."

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

VVVVV Fringe did it better, explained how the plane landed without pilots. Though everyone was dead on that one and instead of JFK/Berlin it was Boston/Heathrow I believe.

Wasn't it a giant hedgehog were-monster that made the plane crash, not 'land' in Fringe? Or am I misremembering?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

Boogaleeboo posted:

There have been multiple plane incidents in Fringe, and indeed more than one incident involving a giant hedgehog were-monster on a plane, but the one from the pilot involved a biological agent that causes their bodies to crystallize.

Fringe became such a great show.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

Why did the vampire crush the gently caress out of the dude's head? Was it to hide the sucky marks? In the plane he didn't actually feed on anyone, then, did he? Just infected them all with worms, right?

And I kinda like the idea that one worm in your body grows large enough to become the 'master worm' and come out to feed. At least I'm assuming it's a worm, and not a sudden new appendage you somehow grow in your mouth. It's very similar to the giant hyper intelligent/evil immortal squid in your body Vamphyri in the Necroscope books. Kind of. Sorta, in a way.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 26, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

Edwardian posted:

In the book,

Huh, okay. So do the worms not turn people into vampires as well, then? I thought those worms made you be a vampire?

Or is this just a watch the show and see type of question?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

^^^ - I think clearly it was demonstrated that vampires use a rather brutal form of MMA.

Edwardian posted:

I think they do -- but if the brain/spine are destroyed, there's no way to reanimate. No CNS = no transformation.

If enough of the body is traumatically injured, the worms go looking for another host.

Okay. It just seems weird then that if nobody knows they exist as well as them wanting to keep their numbers down that they'd unleash some randomly large amount of newly made vampires out free roaming around the city.

One, their species'll be discovered right quick by the military/governments/people who can study them and gently caress them up. Two, what if one of the newly infected goes on a business trip or something or infects someone else who then leaves the state/country? It just seems kinda loose.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

Well poo poo, I have no more issues with it so far, then.

Bring on episode 3!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

lilspooky posted:

The first episode held a lot of promise. These last two however have been snore fests. I understand they're trying to set things up for some hopeful explosion of vampire-fuckery but it's taking way too drat long.

What are you expecting? fight scenes and poo poo?

I wasn't bored with Ep 2 at all. Sure it may not have had the Hulk rampaging around, but it was pretty interesting with the information and mood it was imparting. I haven't sen this airing episode yet, but so far it's been a really fun show.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

I always felt that one movie that had vampires up in the alaska or wahtever, 30 days of night(?) seemed like it hinted at some really cool vampire history and civilization, but then it went nowhere.

I had fun with the movie however.

I'm going to check out your recc. I always enjoyed the necroscope versions of vampires. Those were kinda cool.

THere was a really brutal vampire book I read a long while ago that had them as some sort of scorpion-tongued ant-like civilization or something and it was super violent and they were pretty alien. It was pretty neat and bloody. I totally forget the title, but I will check when I'm back home in a week.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

Oh poo poo, the little kid straight up bitchslapped his dad. Ahahaha.

"What's best for my dad." OWNED

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

Hot drat, that was some Irreversible poo poo right there at the end (not the tunnel rape).

This seems to be escalating pretty quickly. We get a little more backstory and plot next week, and a little more vampires eating people. I can dig it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

rootphreak posted:

when his dong fell off I lmbo

I think you mean lmdo, thankyouverymuch.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

wormil posted:

Most of this episode was just retreading plot points from eps 1 & 2. By the time it got vaguely interesting I was playing on my phone and almost missed the Ken doll scene. Almost Human did it much better.

Whose dick fell off in Almost Human?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

Codependent Poster posted:

The thread title makes me wish Blade would show up and makes me sad each time.

He's still in prison.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

DarklyDreaming posted:

No he got out in April last year

Just in time to not pay his taxes again.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

Slamhound posted:

I'm still not sure how annoying I find the family drama. Stoll's character is not remotely sympathetic, but I'm not sure they realize that.

He's painted as an unsympathetic character. Or maybe as one of the millions who find worth through their job rather than in their personal lives.

I don't think they're petting the dog here, I think they're just establishing the backstory for the main character.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

LeJackal posted:

Hold on a second....an irate no-nonsense Russian and a victimized Polish Jew team up to stop a Nazi-vampire?

That is too crazy.

He's not a victim, he's holding a grudge.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

etalian posted:

best human scene so far was when the Nazi vampire was trolling the pawn shop owner.

"Man, these vampires are DICKS."

punpunpunpunnypunabout not having dicks yes haha very funny

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

LeJackal posted:

There is no shortage of supply in a variety of medical and recreational artificial dicks. They even have fun fantasy colors and shapes these days!

"Hmmm. DO I feel like Engorged Dragon today, or Tsexy Tsigani? Nah, I'll just go with the ol' standby, Black - 11 inch. Tomorrow I'll do Soviet Powerhouse."

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

Hey guys, that mexican banger's pretty hardcore, right? Loves his mom, went to jail, afraid to go back, a petty criminal with honor. Oh boy.

That whole episode, aside from the gruesome effects, was pretty fuckin' lame. Just poor motivations all around.

Why would they burn the pilot's body? Wouldn't they want to show, like, the rest of their office that worm thing and stuff? Or maybe even just the doctors who were working on the case? You'd also think an Xray would pick up all sorts of slight changes even early on. Or the ridiculous amounts of heat given off from the physical transformation.

Why isn't that rich sick ceo dude a vampire yet? Wasn't that the deal? But he's getting a liver transplant. Whatevs.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

Basebf555 posted:

I suppose I can't argue that Gus is kind of a cliché, but your second two complaints are actual plot points. They didn't burn the body because at this point Eph believes something is seriously Wrong, and Setrakian told them that all the bodies need to be burned. The rich ceo guy hasn't been turned into a vampire because of reasons to be explained fairly soon, so you're just being impatient on that one.

I'm an impatient person. Just, wouldn't the doctors report their stage 5 diseased airline pilot escaping?

Pron on VHS posted:

I thought it was interesting that none of the scenes from this episode (besides the neighbor feeding) were in the books.

Gotta have the woman flip out.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

Basebf555 posted:

I'm with you. I can't say for sure if I'd still be watching if I hadn't read the books. There's only so long you can tell people "just wait a little longer, poo poo gets crazy soon".

Season 2 guys!!!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

So is Samwise out of the show now that he was bitchslapped by Ephraim? Or is he going to be redeemed somehow?

Eph was being a little oval office, to be fair. "You're dead to me." Hahaha.

The ratcatcher dude needs to start chewing through scenes, because everyone else on the non vampire side is REALLY annoying - except the old guy.

I was also amazed that the CDC people were doing an autopsy. That seems so far beyond the scope and ability of a virus detective. it's silly that all sorts of weird things are bothering me about a giant tapeworm/leech vampire show.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 5, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, that's really like the least unbelievable and out of place thing I can think of in this show. I'm pretty sure Eph is a doctor anyway, and basically any trained medical professional is going to be capable of making the "poo poo be hosed up" sort of analysis that they were doing in that scene. It's not like they were making a detailed assessment of the state of his internal organs.

All I really know about Eph is that he's a recovering alcoholic divorcee who pretends to want his kid more than he'd actually take him.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

The book I mentioned a while back was called The Unblemished, by Conrad Williams.

Untraditional mindcontrol vampires and whatnot. It was pretty good from what I remember. They didn't try to fit in to society or use the tools of civilization to control it, more than to just destroy and dominate or whatever.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

wormil posted:

What would redeem this show is turning down the dialog because they lack a lead actor who makes it interesting and cranking up the weirdness and gross out stuff.

I think it's the writing not the acting. The dude was fine in the Kevin Spacey series.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

He needs to become infected quick so it goes away.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

thexerox123 posted:

Really? Cause I've only watched the show, and I wasn't under the impression that she's a douche at all. I mean, even the kid is skeptical about Eph's claims of change.

Can you give some examples of the show framing her as a douche?

Yeah, it seems she's cut him as much slack as she possibly could, but he keeps reneging on his responsibilities.

People are funny calling her a passive aggressive or whatever bitch. She's just tired of his same old poo poo and can't give a gently caress anymore.

As for what led up to now, maybe she was a horrible human being and Eph's actions are more understandable as someone who's retreated into other aspects of his life - although we literally don't know what came before -, but her actions that we can see don't paint her in a bad light.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

Pendergast posted:

Just finished book two. I am curious to see if the show is going down that route. I hope they do but it is a pretty big ending. i like the book characters more so than the TV ones although I think that is just because you get to know more about them in the book.

How would you rate the books to the series so far?

Is one more entertaining than the other?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

Senjuro posted:

I read the first book and the buildup was even slower than in the show. Can someone link a plot summary for books 2 and 3 please? I just want to know what happens next without waiting for years until the show gets there.

How the gently caress can the buildup be slower than a show? Do you read three pages a day?

Holy poo poo.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

muscles like this? posted:

Eh, I wouldn't really call those guys vampires. They were more like ghouls.

They're at least as vampire as the weird fuckers from The Strain.

But maybe, whatever. It's still an interesting-ish premise and plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soiled Meat

Whispering Machines posted:

It looks like they're speeding things up a lot this episode. In the books, I seem to recall the nanny taking the kids and leaving without any sort of confrontation; Fet encountering like 1-2 vampires in a basement; and Nora's mother being way more far gone and no vampires at the nursing home.

I want to like this show because the books were fun and ridiculous, but it's just bad. And I don't even have really high standards for horror

They've said that they're not necessarily following the books for the show.

• Locked thread