Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

sector_corrector posted:

Someone should change the name of the thread to "Of course I didn't call the police!"

The Police are the real villains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Vodos posted:

The snow in front of the shed's door was pristine, immersion ruined.

You don't think an OCDer like the wife wouldn't clean up and then shovel clean snow over the blood stains?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

homo punching bag posted:

I know this is not a new thing, but The Strain is so unapologetic about shooting in Toronto it adds a bit of extra fun to watching.

I've never seen a production company apologizing for its shoot location, though? :shrug:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

TV shows try to hide the fact that they are shooting in one city but calling it another.

Ahhh, in movie, you mean? Gotcha. I thought it meant to the fans or something. Oops.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Okay, I just finished watching the episode. it's cool how it's starting to really spread now. The old people's home carnage was a nice start.

But man, this show feels like it moves so GLACIALLY slow. It kinda drains the fun out of things.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Did the next episode leak or something? I don't remember some of this stuff happening last night.

I think we're just getting ahead of the show.

It moves pretty slowly.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The problem with the show is it creates this reflection of standard realism by giving us an organization and government services and whatnot and then doesn't allow them to function realistically. An entire building of police forensics goes offline for a day and no one goes there? The police don't have responsibilities that require their services?

So it comes across as stupid, rather than tension building. This show has literally one (two) things going for it, crazy worm vampires tearing poo poo up and the Russian rat-catcher dude. I'm going to fold the old vampire hunter into the same place as the rat-catcher. Otherwise it's a dumb as poo poo show. I like the worm/vampire parts a lot, though. But let's not pretend it's anything other than a bad show.

life is killing me posted:

They probably don't call a doctor because the loving CDC doctors who kept them quarantined had no idea what the gently caress, what the poo poo can Doctor McFamilyPractice do to help them?

I'd trust my family practitioner more than I'd trust a stranger. I mean, gently caress, if somebody kept me in a quarantine not telling me anything I'd be super inclined to not trust them.

That said, a lot of people would work through a few days of pain simply because in all their past experience it'll go away. And maybe those worms are loving poo poo up in your head quick, making you drunk and hallucinate or whatever. I mean, they're literally killing and replacing your organs, it'd be easy to think they're also filling your brain with chemicals while that's happening...before they kill your brain, too.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 12, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Welp, TV and stuff. You know.

That's a bad excuse when you have well-written shows on a lot these days.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I thought somebody said there was a cabal of masters and this one ran away to the States to go rogue.

The other masters realized that it probably wasn't for the best to try to gently caress with their food population.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

GreenNight posted:

A lot of that makes sense and explains my complaint. Hopefully that's not all glossed over.

They'll get to that in Season 3.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Phenotype posted:

Also, if Rudy was enough of a bro to help Eph get out of the CDC, why on earth didn't he help back up Eph's story to Shithead Boss? "Yeah boss, that guy attacked us with a giant worm from his mouth, he totally wasn't human. Would have killed me if not for Eph. And hey, this video on Eph's phone is the exact same thing we saw! Ask hottie doctor lady, she saw it too."

"Oh, cool, where's the body?"

"...well, you know, here's the thing about that..."

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dragonshirt posted:

Thanks for the spoiler warning, dickhead!

Where exactly was the spoiler?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Grin and Tonic posted:

there's vampires :ssh:

Spoil that poo poo! C'mon, man!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
"This plane. This is a dead plane."

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Basebf555 posted:

I didn't really understand the hate for that line. I took it to mean everything the guy knows as an air traffic controller is telling him that everyone on the plane is dead. It pulled into the runway and just sat there, the pilots not responding to calls. I dunno, maybe the guy's thought process is explained better in the book but he knows that nobody has tried to get off the plane, no cell phone calls have come from inside it, and the pilots are not responding, hence its a "dead plane".

It was the words and also them rubbing it that made it funny. The delivery of those words just made it stupid.

In my opinion.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

BlackJosh posted:

Like seriously. SHE WAS A BROKEN PERSON, SHE WAS INSANELY CLINGY AND loving HUNG HERSELF LITERALLY AN EPISODE LATER. But yeah, what dumb plot hole, a human being not responding 100% logically to a situation.

Now the dialogue in the first episode, and the incredibly ham-handed exposition of some of the characters is totally legit. But jesus people actually pay attention if you're going to complain about this poo poo. Stop trying to show how much smarter you are than a fake person on TV. "Tactical realism" and "What I would do!" nerds are ruining any sort of interesting discussion on any show.

Hahaha.

Hahahahaha.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

BlackJosh posted:

What evidence besides the video of the box for a little do they even have of the box? How is that hard evidence? How is a dead dude that happened before anyone, including eph, knew what was going on, evidence of anything besides a dude being dead? How have they not been totally trying to tell people about the pathogen, only to have their CDC boss slam the door in their face, so totally convincingly like he's totally not evil and involved? You sound like a guy looking for things to complain about.

I think you REALLY liked the books and are pretending that the show is adequately and effectively explaining all those things in some fashion.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

savinhill posted:

I like this show. Sure, its not highbrow or a serious drama, but its not trying to be. It's a fun, gory monster show. I find it entertaining enough that I'm not bothered by most of the stuff people are complaining about. The only real thing I don't like is the Puerto Rican gangster character, I wish they could have given all his screentime to Russian exterminator.

But his hermano's a heroin addict!!!!!

And he loves his MOTHER!!!!!!! I'll kill you trashman!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

radical meme posted:

And on top of everything, now people can get infected from slobber worms?

Uhh, worms are worms, they've been pretty clear about how if you get a worm on you you'll get infected. It was stuff after its head got bashed open. Brain juice. Not just saliva.

Everything else, though, for the most part, yeah. :sigh:

But this episode at least had some stuff going on.

The cool rat-dude visiting his dad had some of the worst acting/dialog in the known universe. I don't think there'd be anything redeemable about this show if it didn't have the million-dollar budget vampire CGI stuff. This would have dramatically improved had HBO made it an 8-episode season...and made it only one season

Drifter fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Aug 18, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Once the cops hear that black people are also vampires and can be killshot they're going to gear up and save the day.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The main CDC guy was literally just standing over a dude he met two hours ago, watching him bleed out and dying from being eaten in the loving neck and he stares him down and says "Hey, bud. I warned you. Welp."

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Xoidanor posted:

At least the sun thing provides a plausible explanation for why this thing wasn't discovered when the mourge went to poo poo all the way back in episode 1. Everyone who's bitten gets converted and then hides.

I want to say that it's because the master vampire is mind controlling them not to attack until now, but then there's nothing in the lovely tv show that explains that fact.

Haha.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Basebf555 posted:

I posted about this last week. So we're only about halfway through season 1 and the show is lovely because it hasn't "explained this fact". You, based probably on basic knowledge of vampire mythology, figured out the answer for yourself, but the show is lovely because it hasn't spelled it out by now?

I don't even think this show is very good but some of these specific complaints are aggravating.

They spend a total of, like, 5 minutes with the infected experiencing tinnitus or something, but nothing along the lines of even suggesting communication with the master or even urges beyond 'Hmm, I guess I maybe want to eat something.'

And I only know because someone else posted about it earlier from the books. To my mind I haven't seen anything regarding mind control or communication in the show. Which again, doesn't explain why everyone's hiding in the sewer waiting for some eclipse that lasts an hour to rush into the streets.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 18, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Basebf555 posted:

is it really that big a deal?

Not a big deal, just funnily bad.

The pacing is just so glacially slow that it's frustrating to see a potentially interesting idea be put into practice so poorly. There's no tension. There's no horror - aside from the gross-out kind from the cool effects. The characters are mostly boring or otherwise unbelievable with nothing to connect them to people - tried and failed.

It's just sad. :saddowns:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 18, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

etalian posted:

Yeah he's a interesting character since Setrakian is basically past his prime and it helps that David Bradley is a good actor.

Loved him in games of thrones as Walder Frey.

That dude could be in a romcom and he's still find a way to cut off someone's head. :ese:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm not sure I see how this show being about zombies is better than it being about vampires.

I was pretty stoked when I thought this was in part about an immortal leech king at odd against his fellow cabal immortal leech king friends, who was trying to set up a splinter kingdom of his own in America.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
God dammit. I'm gonna have to watch this episode then, aren't I?

:mad:

...Or do one of you have a screenshot of the elder vamps I can look at so I don't have to deal with the rest of the show?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Pinwiz11 posted:

It's in the last five minutes.

I'll look it up. Danke.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

maxidious posted:

This show's pacing is way off, I am hoping it will get better.

I guess it depends whether or not you enjoy Agents of Shield.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The Blade 2 rejects' boss looked so cute with his pointy little rabbit teefies.

:3:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

e: Do the books ever explain why some of the vampires keep their human minds and why the rest of them are basically vampire zombies or have I missed something important in the show?

No matter what, you have not missed anything in the show.

And these vampires weren't growling at them and had just saved their lives. And it's not like they trusted them, more like they just did what they were told because of the guns and them not trying to eat them.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Anticheese posted:

Those guys at the end of the episode look like they're straight out of a GI Joe catalogue, but with fangs painted on.

I like that these elder vampires have some sort of established vampire Vatican where they train vampire shocktroops.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Fleve posted:

The default vampire state of mind seems to be to behave menacingly, growl, pose for the camera, and if possible suck blood.

Didn't we finally see one use a tool - the bat to break the window? Maybe they have to eat a few times for the worms to make the brains work after all that energy is lost from the transformation.

Lord Sexatron posted:

I wish Quinlan was a bit more half-breed like he should be. Instead he's a vamp with a swat team.

How the hell is that spoiler supposed to work?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Darko posted:

It works pretty much the same way Blade works. Pregnant woman, turned, the baby gets some of the vampirism. The spoiler guy is pretty much literally Blade.

No, but...It's not viral, it's ... an infestation.

Seeing as how the worms absolutely destroy the internal organs of the person they've infested, a baby would either die, or turn and eat its way out of a womb.

There can't be some weird half measure. Not to mention the fact that the child's body wouldn't grow even if it lived through that transformation process.

...goddammit.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

HATEPOSTING posted:

are you serious

I'm as serious as this show is good.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

So joking then?

For serious though, it's not awesome but it's fun to watch for sure.

The idea of this show is interesting. But then it just goes all...meh.

I did like the last second addition of those vampire police. And I thought it was hilarious when the guy was talking to the kids.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

MariusLecter posted:

A lot of "meh" things will make sense once more background of The Master comes out.

No no, the 'meh' is in the REALLY poor pacing, dialog and characterization. Like, you know, the show itself. It's not that stuff doesn't make sense. I'm generally inclined to roll with a bunch of stuff and goings ons.

The cool stuff is the ideas of all the vampires.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Caryna posted:

Are you referring to the scene where they did not keep shooting in the direction of a subway train? Just give it a tiny bit more thought and you'll figure out why they didn't shoot more.

I can't even say I barely enjoy the show and I'm not even complaining about that.

That guy REALLY wants to hate the show.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - What the hell shows are you watching about syphilis and train explosions?

LeJackal posted:

I feel a little bad about it, but that smug little nurse/daughter got her comeuppance. "Stupid, superstitious mom saying there are some evil spirits and bad poo poo going on up there! What an ignorant old biddy! I will prove her wrong and OH GOD MONSTER!" *gets headshot*

EVERYONE would have done what the daughter did though.

"gently caress, mom is trying to steal her employers kids. I better nip this in the bud."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Damiya posted:

The former is The Knick which is real good and worth a watch. (I would not recommend the thread).

Donno about the other one

Well, I haven't seen a thread with more disappointment than this one, so I'm sure the Knick thread would be tolerable (not that I'll ever go).

• Locked thread