Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Welcome to Disney XD Everyone!

Basebf555 posted:

It sounds like I'm the only one in here that read the books, and of course I won't spoil anything, but yea the story stays plenty dark and the vampires stay pretty scary and never veer into Twilight/Anne Rice territory.

The books had a ton of great ideas in them, but the quality of the writing wasn't great, so I expect it will make a drat good T.V. show. In fact at the time the book covers featured Del Toro's name on them very prominently, so I remember thinking that he probably got involved with the project because he knew it was a great premise for a movie or t.v. show.

It was originally written as a TV series but Del Toro and Chuck Hogan couldn't find a network that would pay for it, so they did some rewrites to make it work as a book series and after getting on a few bestseller lists it became a safer bet to make into a TV show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

sector_corrector posted:

That's... not the reaction I would have if my dick fell off.

I think the implication is that by the time that happens all you care about is blood, blood and more blood

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Drifter posted:

He's still in prison.

No he got out in April last year

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

etalian posted:

Don't complain about the show or you will make robocop cry

He owes me one:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

CVagts posted:

Book spoiler: I haven't read the books yet, but I have come to understand that the Master kills Palmer, and does not, in fact, make him one of his own. Is there a stated reason for this, since Palmer has done everything they've wanted?

Well he certainly could keep up his end of the bargain, but then again, what's really stopping him from welching on any deal made with a normal human?

There's certainly shades of this when he turned Eichorst, the Master seemed to do it more out of personal amusement than seeing any value in him

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

frgildan posted:

Also the brother was standing in what looked like direct sunlight.

A window probably stopped that but yeah you could get the plague from standing that close to a rat and that's just a common flea, we've seen the worms jump farther than that

EDIT: Are we really wasting time on this?

DarklyDreaming fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Sep 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

CODChimera posted:

Yeah agreed. Helix was way more entertaining than this.

I think of The Strain as the kind of show that could be saved by just one more re-write or slightly stricter editorial control, which makes watching it frustrating, because its flaws have relatively easy fixes but the writers don't do anything to make those changes.

Helix however, is a clusterfuck of epic proportions in every conceivable way, which makes for great hatewatching because no part of me is wondering how to fix this, it is blatantly unfixable.

• Locked thread