Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010
I like how they had to dub in "apocalypse in the streets" sound effects to give you the impression that poo poo is actually going down in every yawn inducing scene.

I really hope Eph dies and rat man or jewish Blade takes over. Eph is by far the dullest main character in any tv show and he's kind of a shithead too.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

She's a 90's movie-style exotic and dangerous hacker woman.

She's honestly really terrible and an eye rolling caricature to force some half-assed empowered woman role onto the audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

Justin Credible posted:

Yeah seriously I've been noticing the ADR 'streets in chaos' stuff since before the gas station episode and it doesn't seem to be noticed by the characters at all. I really have a feeling when this was filmed it was dialed back a good bit, like how they were directed to act, as if the plague hadn't taken such a hold. Then they watched it, and realized how loving boring it was, probably re-edited it and dropped in all those sound effects. So in my opinion this is a LESS boring version that originally filmed which is saying a lot.

The editing and tone is just very off in this series. You have regular people holding hands and walking in the streets, going to work, etc.. as looters and the infected are running around everywhere. It doesn't make a lick of sense.

If people were hearing windows breaking and looting noises everywhere then there would be mass panic and not this surreal dream like calm.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

Whispering Machines posted:

I liked when the couple was walking down the street when a huge dude with blood all over his face was creeping behind them. Even people in the shittiest, most regularly dangerous parts of any city are gonna stay inside/not wander around with their heads in the clouds when they hear screaming, glass breaking, and all sorts of mayhem going on.

The problems are purely bad creative decisions. Which seems to indicate there's a lot of hacks on board. This does not bode well for the future of this series. Maybe Del Toro needs to start jerking on the reins.

They didn't even have to blow their budget by constantly showing a city under siege. There's all sorts of other ways to get the point across that manhattan is seriously hosed. It's like the creative team has never heard of H.G. Wells or something. Implied apocalypse is much scarier than long shots of placid looking NYC city streets with a single goofy vamp running around which is so silly it just breaks any atmosphere and tension.

The idea that people go about their day as if nothing is happening is plain bizarre. It's kind of like in Grand Theft Auto where you can pummel a pedestrian to death and people run around freaked out for awhile but when you go back everything is cool again.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010
Is Eph supposed to be this big of an rear end in a top hat in the book or is it just the script/actor portraying him? He's like anti-charisma on screen. Everything he does and says makes me wish death upon him.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010
Anyone else remember Full Moon Entertainment the studio that churned out such masterpieces as the Puppet Master series and Demonic Toys?

I'll keep watching Strain because I get a 90's full moon vibe from the series. The sad thing is I don't think that was intentional.

The worst character is still hacker chick. She's just such a lame token empowerment character that does ridiculous poo poo.

Little boy is very bad too. Hollywood is full of fame hungry parents pushing their kids to become actors and this is the best they could come up with?

Eph..he's an rear end in a top hat and nearly a non entity so it's easier to deal with his screen time.

• Locked thread