Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

I just couldn't look at your old avatar anymore
Fucking nauseating!

sector_corrector posted:

*2 days later* Hey, we never heard back from the morgue guy and apparently nobody went to the morgue or like tried to call him in that time. Well, time to check that out!

This show, like all infection based pandemic shows, requires the initial response to be mind numbingly stupid for the disease to spread. Yeah, the two medical docs who've examined the corpses personally from the CDC clearly know that it wasn't a CO poisoning incident but better get uppity lawyer woman to call her high political-office friend to override their ruling.

Sec of Health "Do you really want to do devastating damage to the NY economy on a hunch?"

NTSB guy "Oh, your personal problems are affecting your work, let it go"

Isn't the whole point of the CDC quarantine to prevent mass pandemics, like Bird flu, SARS, etc. I'm pretty sure any government official over riding disease protocol to score points with her buddy would get absolutely destroyed by the political opposition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fucking nauseating!

Sucrose posted:

I though it was weird they didn't mention that the doctor was an alcoholic until now.

This show is pretty dumb but I'll keep watching.

The old guy's face after he saw the unhooded Master is enough to keep me hooked for the season. Things are going to get gruesome.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fucking nauseating!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, the way and reason they ditched the quarantine is just completely idiotic. Someone doesn't want to be in it, calls his high up friends and the whole population is being put at risk because said someone feels irked by it.

The old man mentioned in a comment to vampire aide that he'd simply overwhelm the public with misinformation and force them to release the survivors. That explains why there's a comprehensive "This was CO poisoning" report that the Secretary can toss down and say "Your authority is revoked"

I think it's still stupid, but at least the show gives us a plausible explanation for it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fucking nauseating!

So, this is shaping up real good. By episode 4 they are outright hunting the vampires, and it can only escalates from there. I assume the smug NTSB guy and Health secretary will continue to try and stop them in some convoluted way, but I hope that ends soon.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fucking nauseating!

"I'd rather die from this epidemic then kill people!"

...uh, historically that is categorically untrue. Especially when said epidemic is army of monsters killing and eating shitloads of people.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fucking nauseating!

Fellwenner posted:

The CDC boss guy is dumb as poo poo. Literal video of this, but ehhh, I think we're fine.

CDC Boss is owned by corporate entities, would rather look the other way and hope its not as bad as he is literally shown. Arrest the main guy, surely his paranoia is bullshit. Just look at female doc. "Oh, a guy is eating and killing people in front of me, shame I can't treat and cure him, going to pretend what I was told earlier doesn't apply."

Hipster Occultist posted:

This trope of "oh (insert supernatural thing here) can't possibly real, so I'm going to ignore overwhelming evidence until it's far too late to do anything" is so loving dumb and needs to die.

Given how aggressively people deny the moon landing and the Holocaust, it's not insane to think that someone in a high level position would want to deny the evidence and pass the buck given the responsibility they have. CDC Boss' big thing has been "Can you imagine how this will affect the market?" So of course he'll avoid and deny responsibility so his career stays intact once everything turns out fine(but it won't), that's how the vast majority of bureaucracy and management works. Don't rock the boat, keep things level, hope problems go away.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Aug 11, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fucking nauseating!

Hipster Occultist posted:

CDC Boss literally just watched a chained-up dude with a throat worm lashing out like a starving badger. A smart person may have taken the time to consider how (or why) it was faked, and might realize that Eph faking such an event in such a short timespan is nigh-impossible. A smart person, while perhaps not totally believing vampires are real, may at least order a closer look into the situation. CDC boss does not because he is incapable of actually doing his loving job.

Alternatively, he could be on the rich dying guy's payroll and told these are isolated incidents being contained but not to spread panic. The problem with all "virus spreads insanely vast, can't be stopped" plots is it requires a malicious level of ignorance and refusal to act at all major levels of bureaucracy.

The show can't last another episode with authority figures rejecting that there is a problem. We've already seen at least one vampire roaming and attacking groups of people, there must be others, even if the internet "is down" the sheer panic would draw the cops, and ensuring gun battles.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fucking nauseating!

Yeah, of course the cops beat the poo poo out of the first Hispanic guy they see when there's a corpse on the ground the color of lima beans oozing a mass of white gunk from his body, oh and the body will start vaporizing in the sunlight. Nope BOOK EM' NOTHING ELSE TO SEE HERE.

This is 6 loving hours, halfway into the entire season, and its still the most idiotic "people in charge do stupid things" imaginable. Does the FBI honestly believe this one doctor from the CDC was somehow able to smuggle 200+ bodies out of a hospital in a night and no one saw anything? Were they just smacking him around and threatening him expecting him to go "yeah I stole and stashed the bodies, you got me".

Oh, and does no one in the FBI/DOJ/White House know anything about that spate of attacks the night people where feral people attacked and ate people? That an entire clip of bullets can't stop? And this doctor is telling them about it?

Just abandon the whole "govt is sooooo incompetent" angle and focus on the small scale of people getting wrecked by vampires and the city falling into chaos. We don't need to keep seeing the bs family drama between ex-wife and new rear end in a top hat husband, no one cares about the stupid kid, and the side cast of characters who are going to become the core of the anti-vampire army is taking forever to hook up and start killing poo poo.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fucking nauseating!

B.H. Facials posted:

I was really looking forward to this thread but it seems to be filled with ADD'd bellyachers. If you geniuses can do TV better then why aren't you making it? Y'all need to just disappear up your own assholes and gently caress off. It's sad make believe isn't "real" enough for you.

If you can talk poo poo on posters why aren't you a professional TV/media reviewer for a major publication?

Are you reading any actual posts? The biggest complaints are how incredibly slow the show is moving, the medicore talents of most of the cast, the lack of vampire gore, and how heavily the show is leaning on "authority people act incompetent" to allow for contrived situations to push the plot in the direction the writers want.

From the pilot it seemed like this show was being pitched as gore-fest with vampires attacking NYC. Instead things are being brought into the plot as important then suddenly dropped, some of the actors are objectively terrible, they're shoe-horning in all of Eph's family drama, and major events that happen publicly are just ignored.

I know news doesn't spread at lightning speed but after the first few cops were killed by people eating them every single cop in NY should have heard and been on the lookout. Instead when they come up on the vampire assaulting the two Hispanic guys they just club the bald one and arrest him not even bothering with the inhuman shape on the ground.

Debating over whether or not people act rationally in the event of a fantasy disaster is a lost cause, but arguing over whether or not they act believably is not. Crazy emotionally damaged wife feeding rude neighbor to her husband then hanging herself: believable. rear end in a top hat CDC head guy seeing a cell phone video of Eph confronting a horrific and grotesque monster then calling the FBI and telling them Eph stole 200+ corpses: not believable.

Even then, it would take a few short lines of dialogue to explain it. Have CDC guy call the dying billionaire and tell him, rich guy says he'll take care of it and to alert the FBI about Eph. Instead we get people freaking out about what will happen to the stock market if the enact a quarantine/do their job. Plus the FBI guys seeing a crazed man attacking a car and saying "gently caress it not our problem" is just really lovely writing. I could tolerate all the terrible characters and drastic decisions changes (female CDC doc suddenly deciding Eph is right because she sees a vampire attack) if the show's plot wasn't moving at a snails pace and half the episodes are focusing on the side cast and boring as poo poo.

I really thought that by the 4/5th episode Eph, Serkanian, the bald guy, and maybe the other 2 docs would be spending the episodes trying to hunt down the missing passengers, killing them, trying to contain the situation as chaos reigns around them. Instead I expect another 2-3 episodes of "people interfere with Eph, Eph's family drama, police/FBI/CDC cause trouble because they're ignoring a vampire epidemic" before they finally take the fight to the vampires.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fucking nauseating!

Avasculous posted:

There's still way too many side characters with their own side characters, but at least now they're dying as fast as they're getting added. Hopefully the next episode will be a massacre and the show can finally focus on the 4-5 characters that anyone gives a gently caress about.

It seemed fairly obvious from the introductions of random characters in the city and the show spending a ton of time focusing on their lives and circumstances that they're going to be joining Eph to fight vampires. It's just dragging on so much and they are still completely disconnected from each other. Rat guy is running around asking questions and not being interesting, hispanic guy has been regretting his life of crime and is now jammed in a NYC cell for the inevitable "vampires overrun cops" scenario, Eph's female assistant looks like she's come around, Sean Astin is working for the vampires but might switch if his wife dies.

Avasculous posted:

I think readers have hinted that he's corrupt, but they've definitely overplayed him seeming like a dumbass to make that "twist" happen.

Except the only influence dying billionaire has been shown to have on the CDC/NTSB has been to get the confidential report, release it on the web, and let public pressure force the Sec. of Health to release the live passengers.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fucking nauseating!

Avasculous posted:

I phrased that badly. What I meant is that Eph's boss has been willfully dumb and antagonistic to the main characters so many times now that we're long past the point where revealing that he's part of the conspiracy would be a surprising or interesting twist.

I thought that someone who's read the books has said he was in on it, but the show has given no indication other then "this rear end in a top hat CDC doc is trying to ruin my career better get him banged up by the FBI"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fucking nauseating!

Who on Earth after seeming the savage looking monsters outside attacking people and being set on fire by UV lights would still be an rear end in a top hat to the vampire hunters trying to collect supplies and draw a gun on them.

Why is CDC doc still trying to doubt Setrakian? Vassily is the smartest person on the show by far. The first thing he does is ask Setrakian the "rules". Doesn't bother quibbling or arguing just "How do I kill them".

loving finally, this is the show I've wanted to watch. After 7 episodes of terrible pacing, constantly forcing in stupid unnecessary drama (don't take my son waaaaaah!)finally we get to see vampire fighting action.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fucking nauseating!

Red Mundus posted:

Vasiliy is hands down the protagonist in both books and show. Even if both source materials refuse to really come out and say it. The rest are just there to move the plot along but Vasiliy is really really the driving force for everything. So glad to see the show FINALLY get to the point where he's front and centre.

The constant "This is a disease that causes a transformation" from Eph is infuriating by this point, and his "I don't believe you" face whenever the guy who's been hunting these creatures for 40+ years says something like "The Master can see all they see" is past the point of believability even for this show.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fucking nauseating!

Drifter posted:

"I know I just met you but you need to follow me and kill whomever I tell you to."

The success rate for people just saved from being eaten by their loved one is probably 1/2 at worst. With the CDC docs, people already aware of the problem, Eph was fully ready to join up and kill them, and all it took for the female doc was seeing another vampire savaging some random people.

After the initial "oh my god whats happening" and reality sets in, the wise old man promising revenge on whoever did this to your wife/daughter/son/husband probably seems like the sanest person in crazytown.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fucking nauseating!

I love the casual anarchy of the city. The doc heads out to find his wife, general disorder and chaos is represented by one guy running past him with a box and glass breaking in the background.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fucking nauseating!

Vassily continues to be the best. The smirk on his face after the UV light bomb scared off the master was hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fucking nauseating!

Esroc posted:

I don't see why, really. It's certainly not redefining the genre, the people in it are remarkably stupid (80% of the problems they run into could have been avoided by anyone with an IQ over double digits)

This was by far the biggest complaint. The level of stupidity and moronic decisions passed the point of acceptable for a TV sci-fi drama and just got worse and worse. Even if the whole point was that the old billionaire had people in power making sure things went his way tons of stuff was ignored by otherwise sane people and especially female doctor who freaked out and was horrified by the killing of the vampires because it was 'wrong'.

One of my favorite moments of stupidity was when the Hispanic guy and his friend were getting attacked by a vampire, they fight back and bash in its head, then a bunch of cops run over and rough up the 2 Hispanic guys and arrest them while there is a horrifically modified corpse nearby that the cops just ignore and assume the Hispanic guys were thugs.

And the FBI turning into total assholes, smacking around head doc, and honestly believing that he somehow stole and hid a few dozen bodies for some reason.

Really, almost everything up until the last 2-3 episodes was the plot forcing people to act beyond any sense of reason or common sense to stretch out the plot. Did they really need 3-4 episodes where head CDC doc is 'on the run' and gets narc'd out by his ex-wifes new beau, or the way too many scenes where he's in a courtroom/office trying to fight to keep his kid? None of that was good storytelling in any way and just served to pad out the episodes where nothing happened of any significance.

edit: Going back though my old posts, the show was really bad up until episode 7 when we finally started seeing some action. Myself and almost everyone in the thread was complaining about the slow pace of the show and the constant 'human drama' being dragged into the show.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 1, 2014

• Locked thread