Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
It probably helps that (1) I'm a Del Toro fanboy, and (2) I watched this immediately following the absolute shitheap that is Under The Dome, but I thought the pilot was excellent. Not the best ever, but I like the leads, and it's got plenty of spooky weird poo poo going on. I think it's got promise. I'm in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I think Corey Stoll's wig is loving awesome, personally. It is as much of a character as Ephraim is. I dunno, I think it works perfectly for the type of character he's playing. The cocky CDC agent who drinks milk has to have obnoxious looking hair.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 16, 2014

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

tadashi posted:

My biggest problem with Stephen King

But Stephen King has nothing to do with this show?

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
That episode was the best one yet. Still lawing some groundwork, but based on the preview for next week, things are going to pick up REALLY fast. The rat catcher and Setrakian are definitely my favorite characters, but Corey Stoll's wig is still in the running.

I'm just really digging the overall vibe of this show. It's got a good mixture of camp and creepiness.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Aside from the stupid "THERE MUST BE ANOTHER WAY" stuff, that episode loving owned. I can't wait to see where this goes.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

etalian posted:

It's almost hilarious how the show tries to sell CDC crew as experts in the field but makes them so irrational.

Drifter posted:

I was also amazed that the CDC people were doing an autopsy. That seems so far beyond the scope and ability of a virus detective. it's silly that all sorts of weird things are bothering me about a giant tapeworm/leech vampire show.

I actually think this kind of thing is why this show succeeds, though. Despite the seriousness of the situation, it's not taking itself very seriously at all. One of my favorite moments from this episode was when they're in the car, and Eph totally comes out of his funk defend the car not starting by saying that he traded his Rolex for it. That kind of camp characterization fits so well with how dark the horror is. Eph and his ridiculous cool-guy haircut, and his loose cannon CDC attitude, and his car that he traded his expensive watch for. He's reminding me of a slightly less self-aware Evil Dead 2 Ash right now, and it's really working for me.

Maybe it's because I keep watching Under The Dome either right before, or right after this show, and there is zero self-awareness in UTD, but The Strain is really knocking it out of the park as far as summer shows go these days. I love how much setup we got, and now that things have finally started happening, I don't see it slowing down at all. If it goes in the direction I think it's going to go, we should be in for a real treat.

:black101:

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Aug 5, 2014

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Drifter posted:

The last five minutes of the show is entertaining as hell, you mean.

It's true, but this goes for so many shows like this. Gotta get those surprising cliffhanger endings or people will be like, "this show is boring." Or maybe they will do that anyway!

But I'm actually really digging the slow pace. It's definitely picking up more and more, but I don't mind seeing 37 minutes of fairly interesting story stuff and 5 minutes of :tviv: Especially when it's always awesome. That last episode... goddamn. I don't care, this show loving owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Senjuro posted:

Requesting a gif of the bit where Vasiliy looks at the gas options and chooses premium. Never mind, found it.

Yes. This kind of thing is why this show works. People in serious situations taking brief moments to crack wise or think about something completely irrelevant. In a bad show, he would have just slapped randomly at the pump and it would start running immediately. That slight pause for Vasiliy to decide to use premium, not because it's better for burning, but because he's using Eph's credit card so gently caress it, is some great characterization.

I definitely agree that the show needs to switch the focus from Eph to Vasiliy and Setrakian, though. Those dudes are awesome. I look forward to them running into the vampire SWAT team.

• Locked thread