Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Bling Bling posted:

Wanted to like it but the writing and cliches...

It's a bad show, but it's not an un-fun show. Good creature effects, some scary moments, and Corey Stoll's hairpiece is nearly comic relief in some scenes. Also Mia Maestro isn't as good as most of the actors in Sharknado.

The bit in last night's episode where they referenced one of the coolest scenes from Cronos (licking the blood off the floor) was a kick in the teeth though. Don't remind me that the show COULD HAVE been great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

CODChimera posted:

I just really love how poorly everyone is handling this situation.

YES, the end of the world will probably rely on people being stupid and apathetic.

Similarly, Dario Argento's Mother of Tears is not a good movie at all, but the fact that the world is ending and people just fail to notice or care until it's too late was a really great idea. The new Dawn of the Dead did this pretty well too, but on a smaller scale.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Well, I guess the rock star guy can enjoy a career starring in productions of Hedwig and the Angry Inch now.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Fellwenner posted:

The CDC boss guy is dumb as poo poo. Literal video of this, but ehhh, I think we're fine.

He's this show's version of Vaughn from Jaws.

Sure, we've got bits of chomped up girl in a bucket, but we don't have to go closing up the beach or anything.

He's a basic horror movie character, just like the old man who gives a freakishly prescient warning.

I was mad at this show at first, but now that I understand that it's just pulpy fun that knows horror, I'm starting to really enjoy it. It's a slowburn for fans of this kind of genre stuff.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

This show is worth watching because it is making spergs lose their poo poo because it is taking its time explaining the "rules" of the show and explaining why certain things are happening the way they are.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

hcreight posted:

Edit: And do we need the Christoph Waltz impression?

I understand the comparison, but he really just sounds Austrian. I had Austrian friends growing up and their parents and relatives sounded exactly like that.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

He makes no real effort to tell anyone else in his department, contact any other authorities, or do anything beyond gear himself up for extermination.

Didn't he actually go back to his office and everybody was dead/infected?

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Speaking as a well-known fan of horror, if you get easily hung up on questionable character motivation, question why characters sometimes "do dumb things" and obsess over issues of "tactical realism", you should probably stop watching horror stuff and become a civil war reenactor or something.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Whispering Machines posted:

It's the worlds most boring apocalypse.

I think that Argento's Mother of Tears still wins that one. It's not nearly as exciting as The Strain's NYC apocalypse (think about that one), but it still drives women to despondently throw their babies into the Tiber.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

I still really enjoy this show, but it is frustrating on some levels. One of the main problems is that the pace of the show makes some of the characters seem out of place and you don't know why they're around until much later, so many viewers just get frustrated by all of the apparently useless build up for those characters.

For example:

Perestroika posted:

Now only the kid needs to bite it as well and we might actually have a somewhat enjoyable cast.

The kid serves a very specific purpose in the books but I can't tell if they're even going to make a point of it, because one event he was a part of happened without his part in it being explained.

Also, remember when everybody said "oh the rat catcher guy is totally useless" and more recently when people didn't think Gus had a point? That all changed.

That's not really the fault of the viewers for feeling that way. The pacing of the show is its own worst enemy. You shouldn't have to read the books to enjoy the show on its own.

Finally: I did not understand the choice of actor for Setrakian in the 60's scenes. It was a young guy wearing hilarious age makeup. Was it the same actor from the concentration camp scenes? I couldn't tell. The makeup job on him looked like Peter Sellers in disguise in a Pink Panther movie.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Holy poo poo you guys weren't kidding about the $30 handcarts. That's incredible.

After they finished wheeling in the kegs of Heineken, they wheeled in the ancients as well.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Del Toro is somebody who is constantly getting apologists for his bad and badly-written movies because his monster designs and practical effects so good yet crap like The Strain comes along and it's like he's not even trying anymore.

You can say whatever you want about Del Toro's recent film output, but his knowledge of film and his ability to discuss it is way up there. He did a series of lectures and discussions around Hitchcock films in Toronto and he would say more interesting stuff about film in five minutes than Smith has in his life.

Does this give "The Strain" a free pass? Of course not, but comparing Smith and Del Toro is a stretch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Phenotype posted:

So now that the season's over and we know for sure there won't be another one (on my TV), can someone spoil Eph's "transformation" that required him to wear an awful wig all season?

Season 2 starts in the summer. They've been shooting in Toronto.

• Locked thread