Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?

Basebf555 posted:

You'll eat those words.

But seriously, give him a few episodes.

This. Fet (who doesn't look anything like I pictured) and Gus become way more badass.

I liked Joan's (bitchy lawyer) creepy ebola eyes and bleeding gums in the bar scene. I'm excited to see more crazy makeup sfx on the transitioning to vampires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

matrocious posted:

Daniel Day Lewis couldn't overshadow that hairpiece. It's all I stare at when that guy is on the screen unless something gross is happening. It's the most captivating inanimate object I've ever seen.

:v:

I don't THINK this is considered spoilery, but just in case: As the books go on, I felt they shifted focus from Eph to Gus and Fet quite a bit more. Eph is always a manchild though. You just notice it a bit less when Fet and Gus are doing crazy poo poo.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

It looks like they're speeding things up a lot this episode. In the books, I seem to recall the nanny taking the kids and leaving without any sort of confrontation; Fet encountering like 1-2 vampires in a basement; and Nora's mother being way more far gone and no vampires at the nursing home.

I want to like this show because the books were fun and ridiculous, but it's just bad. And I don't even have really high standards for horror :v:

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Whoa the ancients and Mr. Quinlan already?! That's awesome. Their makeup looks great.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

This show is ridiculous but after watching people with no noses because syphilis on Friday nights and then dangerous railroad explosion things on Saturday nights I need this poo poo on Sunday.

If anyone wants REALLY BIG SPOILERS to help decide whether to continue watching or just wait until it's all on netflix or just... give up, here's what I remember from the books, with the caveat that 1. they weren't amazing books so I didn't exactly store everything away in my brain exactly 2. alcohol 3. show might deviate more from this:

SPOILERS SPOILERS

The ancients existance goes back to Sodom and Gomorrah and Azrael.
Mr. Quinlan I don't think is an ancient, but was sired by the Master (and his family was killed? idk) so he is very old and very angry. And awesome. Setrakian dies in book 2. His death results in the master being poisoned and switching to the body of Marilyn Manson guy.
There is an old, retired luchador turned vampire slayer. And the big finale: if you've read/seen The Stand. You know how the hand of God literally reaches down and detonates the nuke? Similar thing, except it's more just blinding light. And I think maybe angels.

I think that's mostly somewhat correct. I missed Fet this week :(

v The Knick has syphilis (and typhoid, and cocaine) and Hell on Wheels has things exploding. And also horses.

Whispering Machines fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Aug 26, 2014

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

If I recall correctly (minorly, vaguely spoilerish only because I'm not gonna go into detail of where this happens unless asked), to be made into one of the smart vampires, you drink some of the blood and don't get the worms in you. A character at one point gets some of the wormless blood and experiences healing, so I'd imagine it's similar to traditional vampire stories in that they drink the blood of an elder vampire (with or without being brought to near death first) and gain their powers.

Ya know who Vampire Swat Leader Mr. Quinlan reminds me of in a way? A cenobite. The pasty skin, black eyes and weird teeth. But mostly the black eyes. I hope they keep his backstory and go into that in the later seasons, because it's kinda nuts and awesome- his mother was a slave, infected by the master while pregnant sometime during Caligula's reign. He can't infect others, and can withstand some sunlight. He was trained as a gladiator, then a soldier, and refused to join the ancients because he wanted to destroy the Master. He met a woman and her daughter and they became a family, but the Master turned them so for like 2000 years he's been hoping to kill the Master. Thank you Kindle search feature.

Apologies if this is too many spoilers, let me know if I should stop :v:

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

He is comically angsty.

WHERE WAS OUR AWESOME VAMPIRE SWAT TEAM :mad:

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

That was Rick Baker? Haha that's awesome. I thought he looked familiar.

Also in the books Fet uses the blacklights a lot to find rat urine so it's not surprising he knows about UV lamps. Plus he's the best character so he can do whatever he wants and know everything.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

It's probably because at one point they end up in actual vampire-run concentration camps and need to blend in with the other baldies

Or they actually just turn him into a vampire who knows at this point

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

You have no idea.

If we're lucky, we'll get:

-Horribly creepy spider-like black eyed children vampires (defective sunglasses for the eclipse blinded like 100 kids so Stoneheart opens the Stoneheart Foundation For Children Who Can't See Good and has the Master turn them into little crawly eyes/ears for the Master. I'm actually excited for that because they were really creepy in the books.
-A 60 year old former luchador who fights vampires
-Gus and Mr. Quinlan kinda being the weirdest BFFs
-References to Sodom and Gomorrah and the creation of vampires as a result of a fallen angel
-More pooping, so much pooping
-Eph being a whiny rear end in a top hat because Nora doesn't want to date him anymore
-Fet working with Russians to obtain a nuke (which doesn't have a detonator)
-Beam of light/angels detonate the bomb (The Stand, anyone?)

I'm wondering where they're gonna go with hacker chick, though. She's a new addition (there was still the hacking/takedown of networks in the books, but it's hardly brought up in more than passing), so I'm wondering if she'll just be part of their misfit group of vampire hunters and sometimes come in handy (presumably while she hacks the planet from her iphone or something equally silly) or just die in the next few episodes.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

God Eph you are just the worst

I like the design of The Master, but his movement looks goofy as hell. It's too skittery and frantic.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Psyker posted:

They haven't skipped that. In the books, you don't really learn the origin of the Master and his current situation until like halfway through book 2.

They explain his huge body in the first chapter of the first book and then the batshit angels and demons origins poo poo in the third.

What did you guys think of the Masters Nosferatu meets Voldemort face?

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

I did laugh a bit when manbaby Eph was given the opportunity to say something about Matt and he's just like NOPE gently caress THAT GUY.

Yes! Batboy! I was thinking the overall look was something like that but couldn't remember the name.

Eph's kid has asthma and the Master later gives him some wormless blood to heal him, and gives him more over time to sort of bind Zach to him. And yeah he's a bad actor.

Speaking of child actors, I THINK the little girl vampire from the first couple of episodes was one of the kids in Mama, which GdT produced. I wish the Master's movements were a bit more like this- maybe not quite so exaggerated, but there's something really unnerving and wrong about that jerky, broken movement.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Pretty much all of that has been posted throughout the thread. OP should probably just add a spoiler section to the first post at this point since it seems to come up a lot.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Yeah, don't try and figure how the biology and mythology work together. Science!

Edit: Okay yeah that was a lot of blacked out text. Not sure if there's anything in the rules about book spoilers in tv show threads but probably better on the safe side

Whispering Machines fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 10, 2014

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Next seasons hairstyle.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

It's the worlds most boring apocalypse.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

They could at least set some things on fire!

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Modus Operandi posted:

If people were hearing windows breaking and looting noises everywhere then there would be mass panic and not this surreal dream like calm.

I liked when the couple was walking down the street when a huge dude with blood all over his face was creeping behind them. Even people in the shittiest, most regularly dangerous parts of any city are gonna stay inside/not wander around with their heads in the clouds when they hear screaming, glass breaking, and all sorts of mayhem going on.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Yeah sorry guys but we're gonna be hearing about Eph, Kelly, and Zack through book 3. Congrats!

And Kevin Durand is pretty goofy looking and like seven feet tall but then

:stare:

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

He's just as annoying in the books. But not in a, I dunno, Mary Sue-ish idealistic kind of way? Like, it's made pretty clear that he's annoying and that Fet is the dude we should be pinning our hopes on to save the day.

I haven't seen Stoll in anything else and didn't know who he was until I saw this show, but I've heard good things about him in House of Cards and other things, so I'm guessing Eph's awfulness on screen is just a mix of a poorly written character in the books/show, awful dialogue, and possibly Corey Stoll hating himself a little every time Eph his character has to speak.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Erethizon_dorsatum posted:

Kevin Durand is hot as hell, you guys calling him goofy looking are the real weirdos

One can be hot AND kind of goofy looking! I dig Stoll too. Minus the wig.

As far as wussing out on showing the kids death, that's still pretty taboo so I'm not entirely surprised. On TWD, did they show the actual shot in the first episode with the little girl? I don't remember. Not super important book spoiler but just in case: The Master makes like 30 school-age vampires (who were blinded by the eclipse and thus their other senses become much stronger) in book 2 or 3 and the team kills a bunch of those, so, there's that. Still, I don't think this is gonna be the show to try and push boundaries.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

^This. I'm fine with it that they didn't want a super perfect flawless protagonist, but they went too far in the troubled rear end in a top hat antihero direction and ended up with Eph. Fet is much more even-tempered and likeable and doesn't have crazy mood swings.

Drifter posted:

it's pushing the boundaries of viewer patience and poor storytelling.

I just want my vampire SWAT team to come back and start murdering vampires :(

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

If it goes by the books, we MIGHT be seeing our friends soon! Based on where we are with Gus right now.

Also, I started watching House of Cards, which makes the terrible wig even worse. I'd trust Russo on a coke and booze bender to handle the strigoi better than Eph at this point

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

I can't un-see Batboy now that someone has mentioned it. So bad.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

LET ME GO
LET ME GO RUN INTO THIS PIT OF HUNDREDS OF VAMPIRES
LET ME GIJAHSFJKASHFAHSAAARGHHHH

At least SWAT/The Ancients are back next week

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Not sure what the necklace is but it reminds me of the collars by Macabre Gadgets, which are pretty interesting creepy costumey pieces.

I think the worst thing about the masters face is the mouth. It's very comic book Joker.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

omg whatever about bad russian accents LOOK AT THE KEITH THOMPSON (at least I think it's KT) CONCEPT ART FOR THE MASTER

I love his art but it seems like he never updates his portfolio :(

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

My grandfather died of Alzheimers last year so I felt sort of horrible thinking it, but yeah, I'm glad the mother is not on the show anymore. She lasts into like book 3 I think.

Every monday my coworker asks me how my "dumb show" was :smith:

And sorry everyone but miniEph is with us for a whole lot longer

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

PriorMarcus posted:

I have no loving idea what they were going for with those but it ended up looking loving ridiculous.

Maybe Quinlan couldn't get to Ancient Vampire Homegoods/IKEA before our dumb protagonists arrived and was stuck using those!

"wet fart of a finale" is the most accurate description I've seen.

The ancients makeup isn't bad, I think, especially compared to the Master- although overall most of the character design on this show has been pretty disappointing considering some of the seriously creepy poo poo GdT has done in the past. That little dead kid in Devil's Backbone, hand guy in Pan's Labyrinth, etc were all creepy as gently caress but the stuff on this show has been a letdown. Also, I think in the books the ancients were more smooth and marble-like. I was imagining more along the lines of Voldemort or those smooth guys in Prometheus than wrinkly and old looking.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

I'm not sure where this lies on the spectrum of awesome/terrible in regards to this show.

An ice sculpture of the masters head with shrimp pouring out of it.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

PriorMarcus posted:

Pacific Rim's monster designs were loving awful too.

They were?

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Helix is amazing. It's goofy as gently caress but much more enjoyable than The Strain. It's about a virus outbreak at a massive underground science lab in the arctic, and the CDC goes to investigate. It's like if 28 Days Later were written by Michael Bay and then that movie had a big dumb baby with Resident Evil.

It starts off like a scientific sci-fi drama and then sort of just becomes more manic until by the last episode you're pretty much at Fringe levels of insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

I'm guessing its for blending in, eg when the vampires take over everything, and all the humans in their concentration camps/cattle farms have shaved heads IIRC

• Locked thread