Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

watching it now and walder frey is too intense

One the few good things about the show

Not to mention it's hard not to enjoy Toro's barf bag worthy designs

The vampire premise is somewhat eclectic too since they seem familiar to Stroker vampire such as having the special coffin/soil from the home land but the actual biology is due to scientific reasons not supernatural ones.

etalian fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

sector_corrector posted:

It's a self aware horror genre piece. I think the sloppy writing fits that perfectly.

Yeah it has some strange tone changes going from lame divorce fight drama over to body horror worm busting goodness.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Frackie Robinson posted:

The protagonists shrugging off the gigantic coffin engraved with skulls and filled with dirt was a pretty good tone setter for the series I think. If the show can consistently deliver stuff like the autopsy scene, then I'm in.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

I think Corey Stoll's wig is loving awesome, personally. It is as much of a character as Ephraim is. I dunno, I think it works perfectly for the type of character he's playing. The cocky CDC agent who drinks milk has to have obnoxious looking hair.

the best mass media big wig since Trump's

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Skyl3lazer posted:

I'll probably keep watching it along with The Last Ship and Dominion as time fillers till something worth watching comes back on air vv

Dominion is so horrible it's does a 360 to being a amazing show.

Plus there's not another show that has angels being blown out the sky by a minigun.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Yea, the worms use personal connections between people as the mechanism for spreading the infection as fast as possible. Something to do with brain chemicals. The idea is people will hesitate when they see a loved one and won't fight back.

I saw it as the old zombie trope

Basically the newly risen vampires still have memories of their past and use it to return home

Also pretty much any sort of vampire or zombie takeover plot needs lots of horrible plot crutches since in reality they really wouldn't have much chance against a technologically advanced apex predator that also starts out with a big advantage in numbers.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

the boss vampire never read the evil overlord guide.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

smg77 posted:

Apparently there are ~legitimate~ reasons for the hairpiece. Very mild spoilers in that article I guess.

So basically Patrick Stewart's funny one man two roles funny story?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Whispering Machines posted:

This. Fet (who doesn't look anything like I pictured) and Gus become way more badass.

I liked Joan's (bitchy lawyer) creepy ebola eyes and bleeding gums in the bar scene. I'm excited to see more crazy makeup sfx on the transitioning to vampires.

the recent episode also sort of gave us sexposition

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Holyshoot posted:

Ya fx is getting way more skin showing friendly. Just waiting for the day we get to see tits.

had plenty of boobage during the rock star groupie scene

I guess the other side effect of transformation is getting a bad case of crotch rot.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pron on VHS posted:

Just started reading the first book. It's startling how poor the writing is at times but there is something addictive about the story and my lovely attention span is digging the 3 paragraph chapters

it's a drunk and bored at the airport tier book.

The TV show pretty much is dull for all the forced human elements like family infighting but gets back to being awesome during the horror scenes.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Awesome so this show turns into another Blade?

well the premise is sort of if the reapers won in Blade II given how the show has gross apex predator vampires not the Twilight dreamboat vampire.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

MentholsNBeer posted:

I dunno. I've read the books and the story is pretty cool overall. It just takes a bit for all the plot engines to start going full speed. Of course now everyone says they love The Wire. But I bet back in the day there was a lot of complaining that nothing was happening in the first couple of episodes. (This show definitely won't be as good as The Wire, that's not what I'm saying.)

I am just waiting for the part where Ephraim has to shave his head for plot reasons and we can all put the hairpiece behind us.

I also imagine there will be less AA and custody battle moping once the vampire infestation goes full swing.

The show is strongest during the barf bag and vampires ruining people scenes.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Ok this episode was dope.

The show is realistic since the tech hacker wanted a pawned PS4 instead of Xbox.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

-Blackadder- posted:

I actually liked the most recent episode better than the first two. Things feel like they are starting to get a bit more momentum. Especially with the protagonists finally getting a real idea of what they're dealing with, instead of wandering around in the dark like a bunch of idiots.

it's a slow boil more than anything else, I imagine that there will be more gross creature feature goodness instead of exciting court room scenes as vampires start to really take over the city.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Frackie Robinson posted:

Our CDC friends were so stupid over these first few episodes that I feel like they're past the point of ever being credible protagonists.

The show pretty much needs the plot crutch to allow the vampire takeover.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Frackie Robinson posted:

That's okay if all of these characters die next week and the show goes, "alright just kidding, here's the real cast".

vasili fet and Abraham are top tier, CDC staff hopefully becomes worm food.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

A lost opportunity to play the detachable penis one hit wonder song

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Drifter posted:

He's not a victim, he's holding a grudge.

best human scene so far was when the Nazi vampire was trolling the pawn shop owner.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Drifter posted:

"Man, these vampires are DICKS."

punpunpunpunnypunabout not having dicks yes haha very funny

if wonder if the nazi vampire puts on a fake penis as part of the disguise.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

cochise posted:

Also feeding the shithead neighbor to your vampire husband is hilariously awesome.

It was the vampire version of the just ahead of the bear joke.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mom finds clever secret trick to get rid of annoying neighbors.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Aside from the stupid "THERE MUST BE ANOTHER WAY" stuff, that episode loving owned. I can't wait to see where this goes.

It's almost hilarious how the show tries to sell CDC crew as experts in the field but makes them so irrational.

I imagine the goodness of the show is proportional to how many future scenes will have Van Hesling and also that health inspector/rat catcher guy.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Xoidanor posted:

Keep on watching. You'll be in love when the first dick falls off.

You'll be in love when a crazy white woman tricks her annoying nosy neighbor into checking out the shed.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zeronos posted:

Really digging the show so far, but Christ. Yeah, Eph and his family drama is the weak link. Hoping poo poo smooths out, there's serious potential here.

As the show progresses I imagine we'll get more of the good stuff and less boring court scenes.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Basically a guy who kills rats for a living in more likabable like Eph.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Don't complain about the show or you will make robocop cry:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Plus what happened in Europe, why wasn't it completely overrun with vamps?

Probably because the Master stayed low key instead of gunning for the whole world domination idea.

He killed the prisoners during the holocaust flashback scene since it didn't want piles of vampires running amok.

On a random note 30 Days of Night and Daybreakers are worth checking out.

etalian fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 13, 2014

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Avasculous posted:

Especially in the last episode, there were so many scenes that did absolutely nothing to advance the plot.

Similar to the Walking Dead the show seems to do so little in the hour runtime.

Also sort of abruptly halts cool scenes such as Fett finding the vampire nest in the sewers.

etalian fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 13, 2014

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sean Austin got hired just because he's always typecast as the good guy.

etalian fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 13, 2014

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

CODChimera posted:

Haha, I forgot about all that stuff.

The writing is pretty drat terrible but the show overall is entertaining so eh.

It's somewhat funny how the pilot showed how the humans would actually be pretty good at stopping a vampire takeover using things such as modern forensics but then the story had to throw in lots of unlikely trump cards to make the vampire breakout possible like the Feds suddenly not caring about the incident.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ruddiger posted:

Is there any legal way to watch this show from the beginning? I have U-Verse and they have Eps 2-the current up, but not episode 1, which is pretty loving stupid.

You can buy the whole season on Amazon streaming.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The show will get much better once it gets to the vampire hunting goodness and also having the vampires go to town on NYC.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Is Toronto smelly enough to be a good stand in city for NYC?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Avasculous posted:

His
Setrakian going into the basement was a genuinely tense scene and seemed to finally make him realize what the audience figured out 4 episodes ago: that 95-year-old Van Helsing personally tracking down and murdering 200 infected families before the worms spread is a pretty idiotic plan.

Yeah he's a interesting character since Setrakian is basically past his prime and it helps that David Bradley is a good actor.

Loved him in games of thrones as Walder Frey.

etalian fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 20, 2014

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Aaron Douglas can never seem to be a break.

He went from cabbage wife to crazy vampire wife.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

fletcher posted:

This show is entertaining as hell. Vampire kill squad was badass as gently caress. Every time the credits roll I'm just like nooooo I want more.

Makes you wish that the show was 40 minutes of badass cool poo poo with 5 minutes of boring scenes.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Doltos posted:

This show being cliche as hell is half the fun.

You just have to hang in for the cool monster moments.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Drifter posted:

He must've read the instructions on the back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rurea posted:

In addition to this, not much of spoiler I suppose but Eichorst does not play as prominent of a role in the books and only appears in flashbacks.

Eichorst is basically the other only good well acted character due to his creepy otherworldly nature.

Liked him in the flashbacks how he does all the awkward buddy up scenes while setrakian is working on the coffin but then sends setrakian off to the useless prisoner firing line after his hands get messed up by the master.

• Locked thread