Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Popelmon posted:

Are there any other good last day on earth movies?
I don't know about other good ones, but seeking a friend for the end of the world might be the absolute worst, I mean jaw-droppingly inept and bad, no-hope-everyone-dies movie ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Meowbot posted:

It is billed as a comedy/romance - are you saying this movie is inept and bad or it really is a good example of this is the last day and there is no joke to change that? If so that sounds kinda cool!

seeking a friend for the end of the world is never funny, Steve Carell is a mopey patsy and Keira Knightly reaches what may be the actual final form of Manic Pixie Dream Girl. It's clumsy and bad in all the wrong ways, and while it has a strong first act, it comes off the rails quickly and gets several things deeply wrong on a fundamental level, both in interpersonal relationships ("oh, by the way, I accidentally ruined your attempts to reconcile with the people in your life and am completely unrepentant but I listen to The Smiths on vinyl so you will just helplessly fall in love with me") and in basic physics ("surely this Cessna can make multiple transatlantic flights without the assistance of working airports or even fuel stations in a single night!")

The over-the-top maudlin ending is the film version of a Guy Fieri menu. Just putting saccharine-sweet things together because people like them until the mess is some sort of mongrel mutant begging for death.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 21, 2014

• Locked thread