Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Poison Mushroom posted:

Girl Student is definitely the Key Person, that's proven.

Let's lay this out, then, rather than assuming we each get what we mean. You're saying that you think that card on the Girl Student was Move Vertical, that it moved her to the Serial Killer, who then killed her because she was alone, and that it can't be horizontal, because she wouldn't have been alone in the city?

If so, you're neglecting the possibility that the card on the Office Worker was also a move, which would have left her alone with the Police Officer.

Well, considering that the card on the Girl was a Move Vertical and the card on the Office Worker was a Paranoia +1...yeah, I'd say that's the most likely scenario?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Wait, never mind.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Okay, yeah. Looking over everything again, I misread something, never mind.

Okay. So we know the subplot, then. Incoming speculation about what this means for the Main Plot.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

We don't know who her Misleader is, yet. I suspect that the +1 Intrigue on the School was Genuine, but I can't be sure. If so, that would mean that if we stopped the Serial Kill unexpectedly, it'd mean she'd still have a back-up Surprise Win in dropping Brain Intrigue on the School.

The other possibility is that it was a feint, and that the school is not an important location. I don't like this possibility, because it feels too fragile to me. The more days we get, the more information we get. So, right now, I suspect that our Main Plot is one of the latter two.

The best way to find this out would actually be to find out the alignment of the Boy Student. Unfortunately, the only person we have who could do that will stab him to death if they're alone together. So, right now, I think our best bet is to actually focus entirely on preventing a subplot loss, and see what happens with Intrigue.

Edit gently caress, accidentally made a real edit. Sorry.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jul 17, 2014

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I agree. I think our first order of business has to be keeping the Girl Student alive and seeing what Gutter Owl does.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Well, that was a nice way to start the day.

Some Numbers posted:

Looks like the Girl Student is the Key Person and the Shrine Maiden is the Serial Killer? I don't see anything else that would let this happen.

Completely agree with that. It seems we're playing cat and mouse with those two for the duration. Note that the Shrine Maiden cannot move to the city, so that spot should be safe..

Poison Mushroom posted:

Okay. So we know the subplot, then. Incoming speculation about what this means for the Main Plot.

Regarding the Main Plot, we know it isn't Light of the Avenger, because that's the only one without a Key Person. The Subplot is Shadow of the Killer, for pretty much the same reasons. With that:

Plots in this set posted:

[MAIN] Murder Plan
Characters: Key Person (1), Killer (1), Brain (1)
Special Rules: None (see Key Person).

[MAIN] Light of the Avenger
Characters: Brain (1)
Special Rules: [LOOP END] If 2 Intrigue on Brain's starting location, Protagonists lose!

Impossible, because Turn 1 results require a Key Person.

[MAIN] A Place to Protect
Characters: Key Person (1), Cultist (1)
Special Rules [LOOP END] If 2 Intrigue on the School location, Protagonists lose!

---

[SUB] Shadow of the Ripper
Characters: Misleader (1), Serial Killer (1)
Special Rules: None.

[SUB]An Unsettling Rumor
Characters: Misleader (1)
Special Rules: [Mastermind Ability] Once per loop, place 1 Intrigue on any character or location.

[SUB]A Hideous Script
Characters: Misleader (1), Friend (1), Red Herring (0-2)
Special Rules: May use 0-2 Red Herrings

Both of these are impossible, because Turn 1 results require a Serial Killer.

Possible Hidden Roles posted:

Key Person: If this character dies, the loop ends immediately and the Protagonists lose! - The female student
Killer: May refuse to reveal. [Day End] If the Key Person is in this location and has 2+ Intrigue, you may kill the Key Person. [Day End] If this character has 4+ Intrigue, you may kill the Protagonists! - Possible if the main Plot is Murder Plan
Brain: May refuse to reveal. [Mastermind Ability] You may place 1 Intrigue on this location or a character in this location. - Possible if the main Plot is Murder Plan
Cultist: MUST refuse to reveal. You may ignore Forbid Intrigue cards on this location or on characters in this location. - Possible if the main Plot is a Place to Protect.
Misleader: [Mastermind Ability] Place 1 Paranoia on a character in this location. Possible through the subplot
Serial Killer: [Day End] If alone in a location with one other character, MUST kill that character. - This is the Shrine Maiden
Friend: [Loop End] If this character is dead, you MUST reveal this role. The Protagonists lose! [Loop Start] Starts with 1 Goodwill if previously revealed by any effect. We have no friends :ohdear:
Red Herring: May refuse to reveal. (No other ability.) There are no Red Herrings. It would require a [SUB]A Hideous Script Subplot.

So, Gutter Owl, do we have to save everyone?. Feeding annoying characters (Brain, Cultist, Misleader) to the Shrine Maiden looks like an strategy. Also, do you have to use ALL the Hidden Roles or can you just put normal people if you don't have enough/don't want to use them?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

Completely agree with that. It seems we're playing cat and mouse with those two for the duration. Note that the Shrine Maiden cannot move to the city, so that spot should be safe..
The Mastermind gets a Move Diagonally card.

quote:

Regarding the Main Plot, we know it isn't Light of the Avenger, because that's the only one without a Key Person
Good catch.

quote:

So, Gutter Owl, do we have to save everyone?. Feeding annoying characters (Brain, Cultist, Misleader) to the Shrine Maiden looks like an strategy. Also, do you have to use ALL the Hidden Roles or can you just put normal people if you don't have enough/don't want to use them?
I think we just have to prevent GO from getting any win conditions, but I'm not 100% sure. And the bottom Subplot saying "0-2 Red Herrings" is kind of the exception that proves the rule on everything else being mandatory.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Fat Samurai posted:

Well, that was a nice way to start the day.

Regarding the Main Plot, we know it isn't Light of the Avenger, because that's the only one without a Key Person. The Subplot is Shadow of the Killer, for pretty much the same reasons. With that:

1) No. Only the Key Person and the Friend create a loss condition if they die.

2) I must use all the Hidden Roles called for in the plots, and only those Hidden Roles. (With an exception: There is a Character called the Mysterious Boy, who has a special passive ability: He must be assigned a Hidden Role not specified by any of the plots.)

EDIT:

Poison Mushroom posted:

That's not the issue. Each character card has a symbol in the upper right, corresponding to the four locations. The white location is the character's starting location. The blacked-out locations are forbidden for the character to move to. In this case, the Shrine Maiden cannot move to the City, and the Office Worker cannot move to the school. Any movement effect which would attempt to move them into this location fails.

(This is also what the Doctor's second goodwill ability refers to. The Patient character card cannot move anywhere but the Hospital.)

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jul 17, 2014

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

^^^^^^^
Thanks for the clarification.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Yeah, but the Shrine Maiden cannot go to the city under any circumstance. Look at the top right of her card. Same with the Office worker and the School.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oh, okay, I see. Then yeah, get Girlstudent into the City, lock it down as best we can, and wait to see what Gutter Owl does with Intrigue.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

(Sorry for the delay. Loop 2 Day 1 will be up this evening.)

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

THE LOOP RESETS! CAN YOU PREVENT THE TRAGEDY?

LOOP 2/3, DAY 1/4
LEADER: SOME NUMBERS

Day Start: Nothing happens.

Mastermind Cards: Mastermind plays cards on the Girl Student, the Boy Student, and the School location!

Protagonist Cards: :siren: Protagonists, how will you respond? :siren:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Should we play our Forbid Movements now? Force her to show what she's doing by locking down each and every one of her cards (hopefully)? That is, two Forbid Movements, and a Forbid Intrigue on the School?

I've been thinking about the possibility of just moving Horizontal, but if she expected that, she might have put a Move Diagonally card on one of them, which would put them right in the killer's line of fire again.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

We could move the doctor into the Shrine as well. As long as there are more than two people in a location, the Serial Killer cannot strike, right?

Forbid influence in the School looks like a good move.

Finally, regarding goodwill, I think the Cop isn't useful any more unless we go all in and push him to +5 goodwill. The Shrine Maiden is too risky to use and requires 5 goodwill as well. I think our best bets are Girl Student (in case the Boy Student is a Killer, we can push his Paranoia down) and Office Man (to reveal him).

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Not hugely fond of blowing two OPLs on the first day. I agree with playing Forbid Movement on the Girl Student, but I'm not sure what playing one on the Boy accomplishes.

Moving the Shrine Maiden into the Hospital is fine, because even if the Girl Student moves there, the Doctor is also there, so the Maiden won't be able to kill the Girl and if the Girl doesn't go to the Hospital, then the Maiden kills the Doctor, which is...fine? Do we care?

I like Forbid Influence on the School, if we're expecting that it's the important location.

Moving the Doctor to the Shrine is also good. I think we don't really care about the Cop and the Office Worker unless we really want to know who he is.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The possibility that one of them is the Brain still exists. Plus, it's something to do with our third card without literally feeding GO a free kill by moving the Maiden to the Doctor.

One of us will play Forbid Movement on Girl Student, obviously.

Then we Forbid Intrigue the School and... Maybe +2 Goodwill the Office Worker?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Also the Doctor can't leave.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

Moving the Shrine Maiden into the Hospital is fine, because even if the Girl Student moves there, the Doctor is also there, so the Maiden won't be able to kill the Girl and if the Girl doesn't go to the Hospital, then the Maiden kills the Doctor, which is...fine? Do we care?

OF COURSE WE CARE, YOU MON... wait, the rest of the hidden roles are bad for us. We don't care. Actually, it could even help us.

Some Numbers posted:

I like Forbid Influence on the School, if we're expecting that it's the important location.

Agreed.

Some Numbers posted:

Office Worker unless we really want to know who he is.

Knowing who the office worker is could give us a hint on the Main Plot. In the first loop GO played a Paranoia card on him, which only has any meaning if he's the Killer. Or if it was a bluff.

5 people on the board and there is a good chance of 2 of them being killers. ANIME!

Poison Mushroom posted:

Also the Doctor can't leave.

Why not?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'm now imagining a group of Japanese kids sitting in a room, discussing the best way to keep the psychotic Shrine Maiden away from random Girl Student.

"Well, as long as the girl is alive, does it matter who the priestess kills?"
"Of course it matters you psychopath!"
"I'm not a psychopath, I'm being pragmatic. We have to stop the Mastermind. That requires some sacrifice."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Sorry, I misread the doctor's thing. I'll let you guys decide on what to do with the third card, since I've been kinda trying (and failing) to quarterback a lot already.

##play Forbid Intrigue on the School (again)

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

"Well, as long as the girl is alive, does it matter who the priestess kills?"
"Of course it matters you psychopath!"
"I'm not a psychopath, I'm being pragmatic. We have to stop the Mastermind. That requires some sacrifice."

This is what I was thinking about when making that post.

Anyway, unless someone comes and shouts at me, I'm ##playing Forbid Movement on the Girl Student.

Rules question: What happens when we mix a Move Diagonal with a Move Horizontal/Vertical? Also, what's the difference between Intrigue and Paranoia? I swear I've seen both applied to a character.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Goodwill +2 on the Office Worker?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Works for me.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

##Goodwill +2 on the Office Worker

This.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

This is what I was thinking about when making that post.

Anyway, unless someone comes and shouts at me, I'm ##playing Forbid Movement on the Girl Student.

Rules question: What happens when we mix a Move Diagonal with a Move Horizontal/Vertical? Also, what's the difference between Intrigue and Paranoia? I swear I've seen both applied to a character.

Move Diagonal + Move Horizontal = Move Vertical, and vice versa.

Also, note that movement cards always "melt" into a single movement. So if the Office Worker is told to move Vertically and Diagonally (and thus move horizontally into the school), he does not partially resolve the effect. He stays put entirely.

As for counters:
  • Intrigue counters (black) may be placed on characters or locations. These counters usually enable loss conditions or mastermind abilities. They represent methodical action on the part of the mastermind and the characters, and are almost always good for the mastermind.
  • Paranoia counters (purple) may only be placed on characters. These counters usually enable the Incidents. They represent unpredictable action based on the characters' emotional instability, and can be good or bad for the mastermind (since her subterfuge can suddenly go off the rails).

Basically, they're a tension mechanic--I have to choose whether to enable my roles/plots or my incidents.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Will update with actual board images tonight, sorry.

LOOP 2/3, DAY 1/4
LEADER: SOME NUMBERS

Mastermind Cards: Mastermind plays cards on the Girl Student, the Boy Student, and the School location!

Protagonist Cards and Resolution
  • Some Numbers plays Goodwill +2* on the Office Worker.
  • Fat Samurai plays Forbid Movement* on the Girl Student.
  • Poison Mushroom plays Forbid Intrigue on the School.
  • Mastermind reveals +1 Paranoia on the Girl Student
  • Mastermind reveals Move Vertical on the Boy Student. Boy Student moves to the Shrine.
  • Mastermind reveals +1 Intrigue on the School FORBIDDEN!

Goodwill +2 (Some Numbers) and Forbid Movement (Fat Samurai) are discarded.

Mastermind Abilities: Nothing happens.

Goodwill Abilities: Not enough goodwill!

Incident: No incident for today.

End of day: ...

...?!

The Boy Student dies!

No other events occur. Fat Samurai is now the Leader.

---

The news reports came in the next morning. Unidentified high school student found dead on grounds of local shrine. Your heart leaps into your chest for the better part of an hour, but you breathe a sigh of relief when you spot your classmate on the way to school.

Her usual cheer is replaced with a deep despondency, however. When you wave hello to her, she eyes you suspiciously, and runs ahead without otherwise acknowledging you. You wonder if she knows last night's victim, or worries that she does. Either way, she likely didn't appreciate your attempts to curtail her movements yesterday. You'll have to be careful in the future, if you don't want to drive her straight into the waiting clutches of your tormentor.

Your heart hardens with resolve. You will not fail this time.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Interesting that she killed him. Is she just giving us false leads because she has nothing better to do, or does she not want us to have access to his role or power?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

LOOP 2/3, DAY 2/4 - DAY OF THE MURDER
LEADER: FAT SAMURAI

Discards: Goodwill +2 (Some Numbers), Forbid Movement (Fat Samurai)

Mastermind Cards: Mastermind plays cards on the Girl Student, the Shrine Maiden, and the Office Worker.

Protagonist Cards: :siren: Protagonists, how will you respond? :siren:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Cop is fairly expendable; do we want to move him into the school?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'd be willing to bet money the card on the Office Worker is a Prevent Goodwill. If we Prevent Movement on the Maiden and try to move the Girl Student Horizontally, then it doesn't matter what the card on the Maiden is, Girl Student will be safe.

We could also take a gamble with only one card, either just trying to move the Girl Student, or just trying to move the Shrine Maiden, but I feel like that could blow up in our faces.

That's two cards, what do we do with the third? We could try a +1 Good Will on the office worker, but I don't see it doing anything. Maybe +2 on the Cop? That five ability is really nice, and we'd be able to get it in time for Day 4.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Is it one card per side per character then?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yep.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Poison Mushroom posted:

If we Prevent Movement on the Maiden and try to move the Girl Student Horizontally, then it doesn't matter what the card on the Maiden is, Girl Student will be safe.
Good idea. I'd rather not take a gamble to save just one card. If we manage to get the Student to the City it will be huge.

Gutter Owl posted:

• Intrigue counters (black) may be placed on characters or locations. These counters usually enable loss conditions or mastermind abilities. They represent methodical action on the part of the mastermind and the characters, and are almost always good for the mastermind.
  • Paranoia counters (purple) may only be placed on characters. These counters usually enable the Incidents. They represent unpredictable action based on the characters' emotional instability, and can be good or bad for the mastermind (since her subterfuge can suddenly go off the rails).

Then placing Paranoia on the Girl Student gives you jack poo poo? The only character that can act through Paranoia is the Serial Killer, who we know is the Shrine Maiden. Everyone else needs Intrigue.

It has just hit me. The Key Person could also be the culprit in the Events. Which means that another way to kill her is to pile Paranoia on her and just wait for the third day. AND we have a Misleader running around who can drop an extra Paranoia on her.

I say we kill the Doctor by moving him with the Serial Killer and remove him from the picture, just in case he's a Killer or a Misleader. Yes, I am a horrible person. Ok, this is gaming the system and I'm not happy about it. Either Goodwill +1 the Office Worker or Goodwill +2 the Cop?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

It has just hit me. The Key Person could also be the culprit in the Events. Which means that another way to kill her is to pile Paranoia on her and just wait for the third day. AND we have a Misleader running around who can drop an extra Paranoia on her.
Actually, that's good, because if she's dropping Paranoia onto the Girl Student, and she hits 2, then we'll know she's the culprit because someone in the same location as her will keel over at the end of today (day 2). So we shouldn't kill the Doctor, that way he can act as a possible litmus test for if Girl Student is the Culprit.

+1 on the Office Worker is the unlikely-but-safe plan that saves us a +2, but the +2 on the Cop forces Gutter Owl to split her attention between two possible Good Will targets, which is very good, since she only gets one Forbid Goodwill at a time.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Poison Mushroom posted:

Actually, that's good, because if she's dropping Paranoia onto the Girl Student, and she hits 2, then we'll know she's the culprit because someone in the same location as her will keel over at the end of today (day 2). So we shouldn't kill the Doctor, that way he can act as a possible litmus test for if Girl Student is the Culprit.

Nah, the move would be to put one paranoia on her and add another from the Misleader on turn 3 so she kills herself.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

I say we kill the Doctor by moving him with the Serial Killer and remove him from the picture, just in case he's a Killer or a Misleader. Yes, I am a horrible person. Ok, this is gaming the system and I'm not happy about it. Either Goodwill +1 the Office Worker or Goodwill +2 the Cop?

Like hell it is. If you've ever played one of the games that inspired Tragedy Looper (like Higurashi and Corpse Party), it's perfectly on theme for the protagonists to kill someone on pure paranoid speculation. :getin:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Gutter Owl posted:

Like hell it is. If you've ever played one of the games that inspired Tragedy Looper (like Higurashi and Corpse Party), it's perfectly on theme for the protagonists to kill someone on pure paranoid speculation. :getin:

Let's kill people on pure paranoid speculation! :neckbeard:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

We are trying to stop some time traveling puppetmaster who calls itself the Mastermind. We can't afford to be empathetic right now.

I'm okay with Goodwill +1 on the Office Worker. If GO played Forbid Goodwill, it's not a huge loss.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

I'm okay with Goodwill +1 on the Office Worker. If GO played Forbid Goodwill, it's not a huge loss.
It's not this turn I'm worried about. It's making GO split her attention trying to keep us from capping off two different powerful Goodwill abilities. If we drop a +2 on the Officer this turn, there's no way for her to stop us from getting at least one of them by Day 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Poison Mushroom posted:

It's not this turn I'm worried about. It's making GO split her attention trying to keep us from capping off two different powerful Goodwill abilities. If we drop a +2 on the Officer this turn, there's no way for her to stop us from getting at least one of them by Day 4.

A fair point. We're thinking Goodwill up both the Cop and the Salaryman and try to move the Girl to the City?

Or was it move the girl, immobilize the Shrine Maiden and Goodwill up the Cop?

• Locked thread