Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Abyss Odyssey is the new game from Ace Team, makers of Zeno Clash and Rock of Ages. It is awesome and no one knows about it, so I am making this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVFyD6csNyc

The developers' own words:

quote:

"Abyss Odyssey is a blend between a fighting game and a rogue-like platformer. Explore an ever-changing world inspired by Art Nouveau, play alone or co-op to stop the Warlock and his nightmares."

Like Ace Team's other games, Abyss Odyssey is weird. But this time it's less due to the artstyle and more due to the extreme blend of inspirations that comprise the game. Here is what this game is:

• Set in 19th century Chile, you start the game out as Katrien, a young woman wielding a rapier and you venture into the Abyss to stop the evil dreams of the Warlock or something. Also she's a dead spirit?? It's light on story and what's there is very vague, but the character art looks real nice and there are a few interesting twists to encounter on your descent.
  • Abyss Odyssey is a randomly generated metroidvania game; you go down from level to level in order to reach the final boss, and each level has its own map filled with enemies, loot and secrets.
  • There are three characters. I unlocked the second one, a sword-wielding monk who looks to be a big mass of souls stuck in inside a cloak, by defeating the Warlock for the first time.
  • There is Loot. You have a weapon and three item slots, with unique weapons for each character. You earn gold and talk to merchants to get new stuff, you can also fight merchants. There are stat factors such as weapon damages and elemental modifiers. My first weapon upgrade was a kickin' poison sword. There are also potions.
  • When you're not jumping around the levels, you're being attacked by enemies. Combat is very similar in style to Super Smash Bros (yes, really). You have a block button which is used to roll from side to side and three special moves which are triggered by a directional input combined with the special attack button. Each character has six different specials, each of which can be powered up individually by using skill points as you level up, but you can only use three at a time so they can be switched out whenever you find an altar (there's usually one on each level). There is also a move-cancelling system, which you can power up as well.
  • There are weird random events and characters! I encountered a fine gentleman with a skull and violin who wanted to give me an item, so I said yes, and then he said he'd hunt me down later on. Which he did.
  • Okay, this game doesn't always do a good job of explaining itself, but there's an enemy capture mechanic. If your mana bar is full, you can trigger this big aoe attack, which, when it kills enemies has a chance to release their soul. If you pick up their soul, you can play as them, and they each have their own unique movesets. I don't know if it works with every enemy (the tooltip says chance of success is based on your level), but it seems to be the case? Maybe even the bosses! I captured a centaur and it essentially gave me a second life, so I ran around and loving kicked the poo poo out of guys with my hooves. You also encounter random battle arenas on your descent where you take control of a random monster and fight other random monsters. One time I spawned as a weird shambling 8-armed zombie creature and I could puke on guys to poison them.
  • When I first died, a random soldier came in and said he'd take my spirit to the next altar and reincarnate me. So there seems to be some sort of corpse run mechanic. This might be the biggest problem with the game - it seems kind of easy. I killed the warlock on my second run, but I don't know if I was just lucky or if it's supposed to be that easy and it gets harder the more you level, or depending on your character, but there are evidently bosses after the Warlock. It's weird, unknown territory! I don't know!
  • THERE IS MULTIPLAYER. Up to two people. I have not gotten to try it yet, though. There is also a 4-player versus mode, but I don't know that anyone cares about that.

The Steam tooltip also says this:

quote:

Work as a community to defeat the final boss together. When the collective community of Abyss Odyssey players defeats the final boss enough times, his mask breaks to reveal a new identity. Each time this is achieved, new content will be unlocked in game, including new enemies and other dynamics.

So that is potentially really interesting.

This game came out of nowhere and I like it a lot. Like I said, the difficulty balance seems to be in question right now, but it plays really well with combat that's a bit deeper than usual for this genre, it looks gorgeous (for once a game of this type that does not use a pixel art aesthetic), the music is awesome. I don't know when it's out on every platform, but it came out on Steam yesterday and it's still :10bux: for a little while before it will increase to 15. According to the website it's also supposed to come out on XBLA and PSN. Check it out, it's cool and seems to be this year's equivalent to something like Rogue Legacy!

Website

Here's how you unlock characters and abilities:

Ghost Monk: If you can defeat the first Miniboss, you will unlock this character when you either die or clear Warlock.
Pincoya: Every time you die/clear, if you check the dungeon map you should notice a Gold room. If you make it to this room, there will be a fountain with her likeness. Donate 30,000 Gold and she will be unlocked once you die/clear.
Note that you can only unlock one character at a time. If you have not unlocked either character and you do both unlock conditions, you'll only get the character whose condition you met most recently (so if on one of your runs you manage to clear the first miniboss for the first time but also find the gold room and donate 25k, you'll unlock Pincoya instead of the Monk and will have to make another run where you beat the miniboss to unlock Monk)

Special Attacks: (each of these will apply the first time you do them on any new character)
When you first return to the surface as a character, there will be a special attack available at the right side of the hub area.
If you jump over the Abyss entrance in Pocuro Park, there will be a special attack.
In the rafters of the Church, will be a special attack.
The first time you defeat any major Boss (Paganini, Verbum Dei, Living Creature, Warlock) they will drop a special attack.
If you die or beat the game, the "restart" room will have a special attack on the right side.

Level requirements for the boss characters:

-Nightmare Katrien: 30
-Nightmare GhostMonk: 32
-Nightmare Pincoya: 34
-Demon Violinist (Paganini): 37
-King Demon: 40
-Gryphon (Living Creature): 45
-Warlock: 60

Here's a crazy combat guide!

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

I ended up playing this for about four hours last night, also unlocked the Ghost Monk but not from beating the Warlock so no idea how he actually unlocks, also you can unlock and play as any of the enemies which led to me playing as a weird lady wearing fake wings with no arms and what looked like a stuck on beak who could only really kick by flailing her legs around.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
This game is really rad, has anyone seen if the online works well yet because this games combat needs really stable netcode to function.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm not sure how death really works. Do you just automatically lose all your items except your weapon, which you have to pick up again? I could've sworn I got to keep my stuff the first time I died.

By the way, to unlock the 3rd character throw 25k into the gold fountain.

I don't know if this is connected, but right after I unlocked her the surface was attacked by this Lamassu-looking thing and since my character was level 1 I was completely destroyed :stare:

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I'd been thinking about this game and this thread convinced me to pick it up. It's on sale right now for like $5 off (on steam) so I figured why not. ACE team is pretty cool, too. I love the art style.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Just watched the trailer and this looks really cool. Love that art style and the gameplay looks solid.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Also, the developers commented on a Rock Paper Shotgun article:

quote:

Some people are finding the game too easy and some too hard… so we’re working on a patch to add a difficulty setting for the hardcore players and a friendly fire option for those who find it too hard in coop.

That's great!

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Its good that they are adding difficulty settings because if you make smart use of all of the things available to you you can get through with some pretty sloppy gameplay and i like to die alot in roguelikes.

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't know if this is connected, but right after I unlocked her the surface was attacked by this Lamassu-looking thing and since my character was level 1 I was completely destroyed :stare:

Something similar happened to me after i beat the game for the first time

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Has anyone unlocked the other entrances? I still don't have a clue how that works.

MILF destroyer
Feb 6, 2014
Game looks pretty neat. I'd like to play it on my fight stick though, anybody know if they're supported? It's a 360 stick. Does the game use quarter circles and dp motions like Street Fighter and other than cancelling what fighting game mechanics are in the game?

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

I just picked this up and I am thoroughly impressed. can't wait to try the co-op.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

MILF destroyer posted:

Game looks pretty neat. I'd like to play it on my fight stick though, anybody know if they're supported? It's a 360 stick. Does the game use quarter circles and dp motions like Street Fighter and other than cancelling what fighting game mechanics are in the game?

It doesn't control like that at all, it controls like Smash. Left stick to move, right stick up\down\sideways for launcher\sweep\thrust, X for neutral attack, Y+left stick for specials, B for grab, A for jump, D-pad for items.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

It's an odd claim to make that Rock of Ages was only weird due to its art style.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Wendell posted:

It's an odd claim to make that Rock of Ages was only weird due to its art style.

Stop nitpicking my introductory generalizations :sotw:

A few tips:

-You get health from level ups, so save your potions if you're near one.
-Get a secondary creature ASAP, since it's essentially a free extra life. I've tried capturing multiple bosses, but no deal so far, so I assume you have to be really high level. Good ones are: The Jackal, any big golem creature (lots of health), skeleton warrior (really fast).
-I didn't notice until a few hours in, but you have a special attack just as you come out of a dodge, which is pretty handy.
-Of course you can use the dodge button to recover from a knockdown before you land.
-Launchers or any sort of knockdown are pretty much the best attacks.
-Don't bother buying weapons for the most part; they're too expensive and you'll stumble upon loads of them just lying around. Although it might be worth it for some of the super high level ones, since I don't think there's much else to spend money on after you've gotten the third character. They're not needed to beat the game, though.
-As far as I can tell it's better to quit than to die, since you don't lose your weapon that way. (update: This isn't true, you still lose your weapon if you quit. I don't know if it can even be avoided at this moment)
-It's handy to have a weapon that's opposite the element of the level you're on. E.g. a fire sword on an ice level. There are breakable walls that can only be busted open with the opposing element.
-The question marks on the map seem to be the random battle arenas. If you win these you get the soul of the creature you control plus a free full health fill.
-There is a parry move if you block just before you're hit. You can deflect projectiles back this way. Also works if you dash into something.
-Katrien is fast and attacks multiple times in rapid succession. The monk is slow, but strong with a focus on hard hitting specials. Pincoya moves fast and has slow single strikes with an incredible range.
-Always kill shopkeepers once you're done with them. They give a ton of experience and are not hard to kill.

The six skills can be gotten from:

-Dying (to the right in the weird spirit room)
-The violin guy (though he also gave me a checkpoint token once)
-Defeating the evil duplicates (I assume there is one for each character)
-Defeating the big ice king

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 16, 2014

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Hakkesshu posted:

I also just found several lying around in the hub areas (one at the top of the church, one by jumping past the hole in the park, etc.)

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Oh hey there is a thread for this. Guess I'll have to find something else to do with that OP I was writing up.

This game's a lot of fun and even though it's not as impossibly bizarre as Zeno Clash you can still really feel ACE's sense of style coming through.

Hakkesshu posted:

Has anyone unlocked the other entrances? I still don't have a clue how that works.

I'm not entirely sure either, but I think it might be based on getting deep enough into the Abyss and/or taking a side path to get underneath the alternate entrance. I know I unlocked the second one when I took the first path to the right (and died right on the other side of that door), but IIRC the third got unlocked without me ever taking a path into its branch.

Hakkesshu posted:

You can also find some skills in the overworld areas. I believe there's one in the second zone if you jump across the pit and one in the rafters in the third zone.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

It's such a small thing but the delay on turning around drives me up the wall. If they'd get rid of that the whole thing would feel so much better.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Internet Friend posted:

It's such a small thing but the delay on turning around drives me up the wall. If they'd get rid of that the whole thing would feel so much better.

That one bothers me too, but I think it's specifically there so you can jump backwards without turning around for juggling/air combo purposes.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

Each entrance is more difficult (and shorter) than the last. The second entrance sells camp tokens and the third sells spirits. I unlocked the second after I killed the Warlock and the next time I booted the game the third was just unlocked. I assume I hit a high enough level or something.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Opposing Farce posted:

That one bothers me too, but I think it's specifically there so you can jump backwards without turning around for juggling/air combo purposes.

Don't see anything that would prevent re-orienting mid-flight without significantly affecting trajectory. I'm getting used to working around it, but god drat if it isn't a terrible thing to have to accommodate.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I got down to like 90 hit points and suddenly this weird spooky music started playing and a man in a straw hat floated in from off-screen and just started hovering around without doing anything until I killed him.

What the gently caress is this game??

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

From the developers, level requirements for the boss characters:

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

I got down to like 90 hit points and suddenly this weird spooky music started playing and a man in a straw hat floated in from off-screen and just started hovering around without doing anything until I killed him.

When he does decide to fight you he can be a real dick, I've only met him twice now and the first time he did nothing but the second he was real mad.

Also regarding the red skeleton version mini-boss characters, you can grab them like a normal enemy and play as them, they're called nightmare versions and they're pretty rad.

What he said..

Hakkesshu posted:

From the developers, level requirements for the boss characters:

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
So are there any combat pointers because I feel like I'm missing things with the fighting in the game. If I go in swinging, then I just get smacked about; if I wait and try to play strategic I till get smacked by untelegraphed moves. Also I'm a bit lost on how the canceling ability is supposed to be helpful. Honestly I've just had the best luck with exploiting the AI and spamming cheap moves over and over again, which makes it feel a bit unsatisfying.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm pretty sure that guy is some kind of character-specific event for Katrien. At least, I've only seen him playing as her. I suspect he's some aspect of the warlock himself but I'm probably just making that up.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 17, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Niggurath posted:

So are there any combat pointers because I feel like I'm missing things with the fighting in the game. If I go in swinging, then I just get smacked about; if I wait and try to play strategic I till get smacked by untelegraphed moves. Also I'm a bit lost on how the canceling ability is supposed to be helpful. Honestly I've just had the best luck with exploiting the AI and spamming cheap moves over and over again, which makes it feel a bit unsatisfying.

You don't get anywhere by just going in swinging randomly, it's all about controlling space and countering/intercepting dudes. Don't be afraid to retreat and get a better position to attack - going in jumping is usually a good strategy since there's less recovery. Thing is you don't do a lot of damage in the beginning and you have no special moves or elemental effects, so it can be frustrating. Cancelling is mostly used to get a longer string going so you can juggle guys and catch them when they're guarding. One of the devs wrote a big guide on Steam that probably goes into more depth than you will ever need, but I thought it was interesting:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=278855106

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Hakkesshu posted:

You don't get anywhere by just going in swinging randomly, it's all about controlling space and countering/intercepting dudes. Don't be afraid to retreat and get a better position to attack - going in jumping is usually a good strategy since there's less recovery. Thing is you don't do a lot of damage in the beginning and you have no special moves or elemental effects, so it can be frustrating. Cancelling is mostly used to get a longer string going so you can juggle guys and catch them when they're guarding. One of the devs wrote a big guide on Steam that probably goes into more depth than you will ever need, but I thought it was interesting:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=278855106
Yeah, I read that guide before and it kinda covers things that I don't really need. I just feel like when I'm successful in a fight, it's cause I was just cheap and exploiting their lovely AI (like the AI seems to have a real poo poo time of avoiding traps). I don't know, I feel like there's a depth to the game that I'm missing since I can't properly tell what the enemy is going to do when it's not being painfully stupid and jumping about.

Like, I'm usually good at perfect blocks and parries in other games....but this game, I can't tell if I'm doing them or not since the times when I do them only garners me a single free hit.

Also this game needs a lot of tutorials; like why I can't pick up weapons or when I get a new skill or the soul system. I was at the first merchant and spent a good couple of minutes just trying to figure out what a 'Ghost Fireman' was.

Egadsman
Apr 16, 2007

Opposing Farce posted:

I'm pretty sure that guy is some kind of character-specific event for Katrien. At least, I've only seen him playing as her. I suspect he's some aspect of the warlock himself but I'm probably just making that up.
I've only ever seen this guy as Pincoya. :shrug: (edit: and only after beating the warlock with all three characters)
He seemed to be showing up every other level, so I must have fought him at least a half-dozen times now. So far he's only shown up when I use the church entrance.

Egadsman fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 17, 2014

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Egadsman posted:

I've only ever seen this guy as Pincoya. :shrug: (edit: and only after beating the warlock with all three characters)
He seemed to be showing up every other level, so I must have fought him at least a half-dozen times now. So far he's only shown up when I take use the church entrance.

Huh. That's really weird; I'm pretty sure I started seeing him really early on, like during my first couple of runs down the first path as Katrien. Apparently whatever rules spawn him are esoteric enough (or the RNG behind him is erratic enough) that two people can walk away with the exact opposite impression of what the conditions are, which is pretty great. It adds to how mysterious and weird everything is.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Hakkesshu posted:

Also, the developers commented on a Rock Paper Shotgun article:

That's great!

It's funny too, since right up until release they were super adamant about keeping friendly-fire in since otherwise the game was "too easy". I am one of those people who found the game basically impossible to play coop, and the easiest thing ever when playing solo (My first few hours were in very unsuccessful coop, and the instant they split off I cleared Warlock on my first try).

Given the way the game is balanced, anything at all that can cause you to lose HP is significantly more dangerous than just the threat of enemies themselves. Enemies are also far more aggressive in co-op, since the abuseable AI that makes them stay cautious against your special attacks doesn't seem to apply. More enemies spawn (including the minibosses, which will attack in pairs instead of solo!) in each encounter as well. The fact you have to split gold makes grinding take longer, EXP is reduced, and mana generation will be weighted between the two characters which means obtaining a token early on is practically impossible.

E: I'm also the only person out of those I've talked to that's encountered Living Creature, but I have yet to encounter Paganini or Verbum Dei. Game is weird~

E2: In your OP you should include the actual ways to unlock the characters and ways to obtain special abilities

Ghost Monk: If you can defeat the first Miniboss, you will unlock this character when you either die or clear Warlock.
Pincoya: Every time you die/clear, if you check the dungeon map you should notice a Gold room. If you make it to this room, there will be a fountain with her likeness. Donate 30,000 Gold and she will be unlocked once you die/clear.
Note that you can only unlock one character at a time. If you have not unlocked either character and you do both unlock conditions, you'll only get the character whose condition you met most recently (so if on one of your runs you manage to clear the first miniboss for the first time but also find the gold room and donate 25k, you'll unlock Pincoya instead of the Monk and will have to make another run where you beat the miniboss to unlock Monk)

Special Attacks: (each of these will apply the first time you do them on any new character)
  • When you first return to the surface as a character, there will be a special attack available at the right side of the hub area.
  • If you jump over the Abyss entrance in Pocuro Park, there will be a special attack.
  • In the rafters of the Church, will be a special attack.
  • The first time you defeat any major Boss (Paganini, Verbum Dei, Living Creature, Warlock) they will drop a special attack.

Emalde fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 17, 2014

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

Emalde posted:

It's funny too, since right up until release they were super adamant about keeping friendly-fire in since otherwise the game was "too easy". I am one of those people who found the game basically impossible to play coop, and the easiest thing ever when playing solo (My first few hours were in very unsuccessful coop, and the instant they split off I cleared Warlock on my first try).
Given the way the game is balanced, anything at all that can cause you to lose HP is significantly more dangerous than just enemies themselves. Enemies are also far more aggressive in co-op, since the abuseable AI that makes them stay cautious against your special attacks doesn't seem to apply. The fact you have to split gold makes grinding take longer, EXP is reduced, and mana generation will be weighted between the two characters which means obtaining a token early on is practically impossible.

E: I'm also the only person out of those I've talked to that's encountered Living Creature, but I have yet to encounter Paganini or Verbum Dei. Game is weird~

Yeah, I totally agree. Coop is basically unplayable. It's not even that there's friendly fire, it's also that you get knocked fifty feet into the air when your friend hits you. I'm really enjoying the single player experience but I'm bummed that I can't play with friends because it just becomes frustrating, we end up juggling each other without even realizing it! I'd even be fine if you could get knocked around, but taking full damage? That's ridiculous.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Having a blast with this game so far. I'm terrible at it but I've made it to the lower levels without much issue in my first few tries. It's definitely addictive... I just wish you didn't find so many weapons for characters you aren't playing as. That combat tutorial that got linked is awesome stuff, too. I love how the game has a lot of depth while still maintaining a good pace to the combat.

And good to see that co-op is getting tweaked. That's the only way I was able to convince one of my friends to buy this game, so I'm really looking forward to a more playable co-op experience.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
I don't think it's been mentioned yet but this is also up on xbox live. Figured I'd mention it in case anyone who thinks the game looks interesting doesn't have a computer that can run it. $10.04 in the arcade section.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
The game looks to be $16 already.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Emalde posted:

Verbum Dei and Paganini are both on your map, as a demon head and a violin respectively.

Zawath
Sep 9, 2011
Someone at ACE likes One piece

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I've beaten the game 7-ish times or so, with each character in their mid-20s, and here are some further observations:

-The economy is kind of hosed. You only get like 10-15k on one run and they want you to pay 35k for one of the really good weapons. This is a dumb purchase because you will eventually lose the weapon, and the Warlock isn't hard enough to where you'll need it. Maybe when they add the hardcore difficulty, but even so that's a lot of cash. Hopefully they will tune this; each pot only giving you like 100 kind of just makes them annoying to deal with.
-It seems like if you encounter one or more locked chests there are ALWAYS enough keys for every single one on that level.
-The only thing I have left to do aside from the level-based achievements is to defeat the Living Creature, but I can't get him to spawn again. Anyone know of a way? Can it be done just by restarting over and over?
-The monk is probably my favourite character. I'm using his launch, straight run and charge slash specials. Incredibly effective. If you get a freeze weapon and the ice ring, he's basically unstoppable. Charge up the heavy slash while fools are lying down, they'll be dead once they get up.
-The Jackal is again probably my favourite soul, since you can basically stunlock everything if you've got 3 cancels.
-The weird floating guy is definitely some form of the Warlock, since you see the corpse (or sleeping body) just after you defeat him and it's the same outfit. I've only really encountered him with the monk.
-The most useful part about spending checkpoint tokens is that you get a soldier following you around. They're not particularly great fighters, but they do distract enemies.
-I'm missing two journal pages: 9 and 18. 9 is supposed to spawn from the Living Creature, but I have no idea about 18. Anyone?
-When you start the game and the menu book appears you can see the Warlock's emblem on the cover. It's gotten progressively more broken since the game launched, so this is probably how you can track the community's progress.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jul 17, 2014

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Zawath posted:

Someone at ACE likes One piece

Im sure it has everything to do with anime and not Mexican/Chilean culture or folk lore.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The character's name is Paganini, named after an Italian violinist who was so impossibly talented he was believed to have sold his soul to the devil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Man, I just can't get good at the combat. I only really win by doing jump attacks followed by the sweep attacks and it's really unsatisfying. Enemies dodge around a lot otherwise and I'm usually stuck swinging in the wrong direction because the attack animation seems to take priority over the "turning around" animation. It's not snappy at all and this also causes me problems when jumping around because I find myself facing the wrong way. I'm not a big fan of it at all. The controls just feel awkward. It's not as snappy as I'd want them to be for the kind of fast combat the game seems to be going for. I can go play Symphony or Super Metroid and feel at home with these kind of controls but that's because the enemies weren't dodging and moving around like in a Devil May Cry-esque action game.

I also don't like the corpse runs with soldiers. The only saving grace is that you seem to have back-up from the axe wielding ones most of the time and they make a good distraction/kill everything for you. Those stupid alters never seem to be around when you need one either. I rather just run through the level again my selected character and "loot" my corpse to get my items back. I don't need to see a stupid dialogue sequence each time if it were like that too.

Really not liking the game so far. Maybe I'll adapt to the sloppy controls and enjoy it more (like I have with other titles with less-than-stellar controls) or maybe I'll just write this off as ten dollars down the drain. Which is a shame because the style is pretty neat and the combat could be fun but the controls are really putting a hamper on that. I'm using the PS4 controller, by the way.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 17, 2014

• Locked thread