Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012

Nalin posted:

It is also possible that the enemies that spawn in the region are easier than enemies in a different region.

Oh yes, lost my only Personal 2 to some huge monster that hit me for 15k hp when thumping in the Forest of South East Devil's Tusk so finding a spot that provides melee only enemies can be a huge boon.

And it feels wierd but I've finally started using health and stim packs, they really help cut down on downtime between missions and time I get downed by getting overwhelmed by guys with assault rifles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Morglon posted:

Every time you start conquering anything you get swarmed by ten angry bored Russians. Could use some balancing I guess.
The design's like planetside, so take a cue from planetside strategy: play for territory control when the enemy team is asleep.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Ralith posted:

The design's like planetside, so take a cue from planetside strategy: play for territory control when the enemy team is asleep.

Dear lord I had enough of that in eve. Count me out if that's what pvp becomes. I think gw2 was similar as well. Made for a most I fun pvp experience.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

TheBlandName posted:

I'm finding myself flush with credits, and I'm thinking about some market purchases to insulate against Red5's schizophrenic world design. Does anyone know the cool-downs for the reusable crafting station, reusable battleframe station, and reusable garage? The last convenient item I purchased turned out to be anything but.

Their cooldowns are quite long and you'll rarely need them while soloing, so I wouldn't bother getting any of those three. If you don't have a glider pad, get one, and if you can also get a hoverpad, get one. When you place them next to eachother and walk between them, you get glider wings and a massive elevation boost. I rarely use an LGV because of this and it can get you pretty much anywhere very quickly, regardless of terrain or other obstacles. Even just a glider pad will increase your mobility a ton.

You could also try getting a Recharging Ammo Dispenser. It's not something you put down- rather, you use it like you would an ammo pack, but it doesn't get consumed and usually recharges before you need it again.

The Recharging Sonic Detonator is pretty minor, but also relatively cheap, so grab one if you want. You'll usually only encounter one resource deposit at a time, so it's one less thing to worry about crafting.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

xxEightxx posted:

Dear lord I had enough of that in eve. Count me out if that's what pvp becomes. I think gw2 was similar as well. Made for a most I fun pvp experience.
Well, the only real objective right now is "hold a base for 15 minutes so you can get the resources," so it doesn't seem like that big a deal yet. We'll see how it plays long-term. It's difficult to avoid that sort of effect in persistent MMO territory control games, unfortunately.

Cheston posted:

Their cooldowns are quite long and you'll rarely need them while soloing, so I wouldn't bother getting any of those three. If you don't have a glider pad, get one, and if you can also get a hoverpad, get one. When you place them next to eachother and walk between them, you get glider wings and a massive elevation boost. I rarely use an LGV because of this and it can get you pretty much anywhere very quickly, regardless of terrain or other obstacles. Even just a glider pad will increase your mobility a ton.

You could also try getting a Recharging Ammo Dispenser. It's not something you put down- rather, you use it like you would an ammo pack, but it doesn't get consumed and usually recharges before you need it again.

The Recharging Sonic Detonator is pretty minor, but also relatively cheap, so grab one if you want. You'll usually only encounter one resource deposit at a time, so it's one less thing to worry about crafting.
For reference, I paid 6k for a hoverpad, and another goon got one for a bit under 5k. Place a buy order in that range and be patient. There's not enough demand to actually drive prices up, even if the supply is rather low. Don't waste your credits filling an above-market sell order; just be patient.
Also, is there a reliable technique for getting the boost? I picked up a hoverpad recently for this exact reason, but I've been having a hard time reliably triggering both pads at once unless I luck into the rare glitch that lets you place them on top of eachother.

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Cheston posted:

Detonators are completely useless now as you can destroy deposits by hitting them with a scan hammer.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

dromer posted:

Detonators are completely useless now as you can destroy deposits by hitting them with a scan hammer.
You could always do this. IIRC it only gives you a fraction of the resources.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009
I've definitely noticed people will blindly fill the highest buy order, I got a bunch of visual kits for 50 credits each last night. Just visual kits but still I like having other colors!

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

xxEightxx posted:

Don't know about your servers but that's what the European ones are like. Only you can't take poo poo while they sleep because they either have people pulling shifts and waking up the others when poo poo goes down, don't sleep at all or share accounts. It's always the same bunch of guys and one of them is always there.

precedence
Jun 28, 2010

Morglon posted:

Don't know about your servers but that's what the European ones are like. Only you can't take poo poo while they sleep because they either have people pulling shifts and waking up the others when poo poo goes down, don't sleep at all or share accounts. It's always the same bunch of guys and one of them is always there.

that is hilarious. On the american servers, at least when i checked it out, it was basically a wasteland. I took two towers, and only saw a single enemy dragonfly. I then left because it wasn't very fun... i think that was the middle of the day on saturday.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
e: I'm dumb

Ralith fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 22, 2014

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Applied for the army as eroticfanfic.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Man this game is so much improved now over like a year ago. So I had a Tigerclaw, and it seems they overhauled the item system, got rid of the Star Wars Galaxies-esque quality-based crafting system. Level system now too! They've expanded the world a lot.

My question is, are any of the Tigerclaw abilities must-haves? Right now I have all the assault standards (afterburner for mobility, crater for parachute and AOE, and overcharge because they seem to have buffed it to not drain your ammo while active) except for the HKM which is fantastic for area control. Overcharge + SMG seems to be really strong at clearing hordes of weaklings. I'm mainly playing the game for PVE, for what that's worth.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Is there a meta about the cores yet? I seem to cover as much ground in as much time with Run Speed, Air Sprint, and Energy cores of the same quality. Run Speed might be better.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Westy543 posted:

Man this game is so much improved now over like a year ago. So I had a Tigerclaw, and it seems they overhauled the item system, got rid of the Star Wars Galaxies-esque quality-based crafting system. Level system now too! They've expanded the world a lot.

My question is, are any of the Tigerclaw abilities must-haves? Right now I have all the assault standards (afterburner for mobility, crater for parachute and AOE, and overcharge because they seem to have buffed it to not drain your ammo while active) except for the HKM which is fantastic for area control. Overcharge + SMG seems to be really strong at clearing hordes of weaklings. I'm mainly playing the game for PVE, for what that's worth.
Missile Shot is like an easier to use Crater. Hit the button and it fires a super fast shot where you are pointing. Great AoE, great damage. Definitely try replacing Crater with it and see how you like it.

Trailblaze isn't as good as it used to be as you can't build a stupidly ridiculous one anymore (you used to be able to build one that recharged before it ended so you could use it indefinitely). You really need some good modules to make it shine, but once you get it there, it is amazing how fast you can move with it. I still rather like it.

Disruption is actually fairly decent now. Easier to hit with, hits more people, snares, and chains across enemies. However, I just don't feel like it is enough, and I might replace mine with Overcharge. Maybe if the cone of fire was larger and the range longer I would like it.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
I've always been a fan of burn jets, just because there's a lot of melee enemies in this game and hovering over their head while shooting at them and setting them on fire is just amazing. Plus, it's great for mobility; it makes it far easier to cross large horizontal spaces, since you can trigger it when your jets run out and then wait for them to recharge, and even works with gliding if you apply sufficient finesse (i.e. have a high initial upwards velocity). I can't say I like the HKM much--it never seems to do much damage, doesn't impede the enemies from standing there and shooting at you, loves to bounce off terrain and go flying into the sky, etc. The assault HKM is pretty underwhelming too, but at least it does useful damage and hits reliably.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
For those who don't know, it seems the ultra quick levelling in Devil's Tusk has been fixed. If you're too low for the zone (anything under 33/34 seems to be 'too low') then you get severely nerfed xp from Chosen thumpers, ARES missions, etc.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Gammon posted:

For those who don't know, it seems the ultra quick levelling in Devil's Tusk has been fixed. If you're too low for the zone (anything under 33/34 seems to be 'too low') then you get severely nerfed xp from Chosen thumpers, ARES missions, etc.

If any of you are close to 33, there's a bunker in Sertao (west of... I forget its name, the watchtower northwest of the Sand Dunes, right where it starts to turn into forest) where ARES missions spawn pretty frequently. A bunch of people were just hanging around there doing the missions, might've only been the one instance though.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I've had good luck south of Shanty Town for those under level 24. There are quite a few missions in the area that net you around 33k and crashed Thumpers constantly which will give you 16k. The missions can be dicey if you're too low of a level but the crashed Thumpers aren't too bad to solo as long as you know how to dodge.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

There was an area east of shanty town that spawned like 8 crashed thumpers in a row. Great exp early on.

Thanks for the advice on missile shot. I'll miss my parachute but it's so much more useful, plus it synergizes with the auxiliary tanks passive.

Edit: Woah, post sniped on the shanty town area.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Gammon posted:

That's a really dumb fix. Doing overleveled missions with proportionally higher difficulty and reward both was a lot of fun and a great way to change things up. Now instead of fixing the exploit they've just made that a waste of time.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Fina posted:

the crashed Thumpers aren't too bad to solo as long as you know how to dodge.

Good tip for crashed thumpers is that the objects can be thrown at the thumper with the attack button and it will automatically pick it up, this way you just have to jet upwards and chuck it instead of running.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I knew you could throw them but I didn't know that throwing them into the Thumper counted as a delivery, that's cool. I like abusing the teleport beacon skill for the returns, throw the beacon at the thumper right before you pick up the piece and then teleport right back for an instant delivery.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Gammon posted:

It looks like some sort of proportional calculation based on total exp to level. So you can still do it, even if you are level 2, you just don't get level 38 experience or whatever. It is still a very viable and popular option.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
I applied to Goon Squad as Acronia, having fun so far. I can't decide which frame I want to use and not being locked into just one is making it even more difficult :ohdear:. The game is so much better than last time I played. Which is not a surprise considering it was Copacabana, a handful of missions and a huge empty map.

What sort of range does the scan hammer have? Is it as far out as the waves radiate? Do you have to just keep running around whacking the ground or is there a more efficient way to go about finding thumping spots?

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
There's a bunch of waves that you can see after using your scan-hammer, and the have a direction to them. I can never remember which way it works, but either the waves come from a resource vein, or the waves go to a resource vein. Someone will probably be along to specify which one it is. Until then, pick one of the directions and go until you either find the resource vein (a big spike in the visual effect) or you start scanning dirt.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

xxEightxx posted:

It looks like some sort of proportional calculation based on total exp to level. So you can still do it, even if you are level 2, you just don't get level 38 experience or whatever. It is still a very viable and popular option.

Really? Because I didn't get gently caress all for turning in 40 missions even on my 31 frames, no xp, no other rewards. Even tried it three times to make sure.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Morglon posted:

Really? Because I didn't get gently caress all for turning in 40 missions even on my 31 frames, no xp, no other rewards. Even tried it three times to make sure.

I was speaking specifically about the chosen thumper spawning up in DT. There were probably two full platoons of people running it at all levels, so I am sure they were getting something from it. I loaded up my level 2 and got like 4k experience or something low, then switched to my 31 bastion and got 49kish (founder\vip)? I do not math so maybe I was off; although the exp was not the same, it appeared to be proportionally equal.

And as a side note. Doing donuts in the mpv on top of chosen and bug spawns is one of the most fun times I've had in a long time. Some of the bigger spawns do not get run over, they get pushed, so you hit them at full speed and ram into a wall and watch them go splat.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

xxEightxx posted:

I was speaking specifically about the chosen thumper spawning up in DT. There were probably two full platoons of people running it at all levels, so I am sure they were getting something from it. I loaded up my level 2 and got like 4k experience or something low, then switched to my 31 bastion and got 49kish (founder\vip)? I do not math so maybe I was off; although the exp was not the same, it appeared to be proportionally equal.

And as a side note. Doing donuts in the mpv on top of chosen and bug spawns is one of the most fun times I've had in a long time. Some of the bigger spawns do not get run over, they get pushed, so you hit them at full speed and ram into a wall and watch them go splat.

Try playing yourself some Claw Soccer.

Take your MGV and punt a rageclaw around. At level 40ish it does about 1500 a hit, so you have to ram the fatty about 20 times to kill him - but it is hilarious! Especially when the kill-shot sends that body flying over the horizon.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

DarkDobe posted:

Try playing yourself some Claw Soccer.

Take your MGV and punt a rageclaw around. At level 40ish it does about 1500 a hit, so you have to ram the fatty about 20 times to kill him - but it is hilarious! Especially when the kill-shot sends that body flying over the horizon.

Hah come up to DT and lets get it on!

Turra
Oct 28, 2006

Help! A guinea pig tricked me.
Just applied to goon squad as Saxtn :)

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

xxEightxx posted:

I hope they do something like GW2 where you just get a percentage of your level if you're downlevelled. That way you can play your favorite frames with friends and not have to feel like you're not progressing.

Also, how does vehicle damage work in this game? Running over aranhas seems to do like 50 damage to them.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

TheBlandName posted:

There's a bunch of waves that you can see after using your scan-hammer, and the have a direction to them. I can never remember which way it works, but either the waves come from a resource vein, or the waves go to a resource vein. Someone will probably be along to specify which one it is. Until then, pick one of the directions and go until you either find the resource vein (a big spike in the visual effect) or you start scanning dirt.

I'd love to read more about how this works exactly because I think I may have been doing it wrong.

Also, super noob question, but how do I repair my gear?

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

dromer posted:

I hope they do something like GW2 where you just get a percentage of your level if you're downlevelled. That way you can play your favorite frames with friends and not have to feel like you're not progressing.

City of Heroes did something similar, and probably had the best grouping system I've seen in any MMO (both the ability to find a group and participate). You should get auto-leveled to -1 level of your squad leader (so you can go up or down), and have your HP and damage scaled accordingly but you earn proportional exp to your level.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Xavier434 posted:

I'd love to read more about how this works exactly because I think I may have been doing it wrong.

From my understanding:

Hit the ground with your scanhammer, then fly up and look down at the generated waves from above. If resources (not just sifted earth) have been detected, you should see concentric circles flowing toward a central point. If you can't see the point where they converge, you may have to land and hammer again to get closer. The point at which they converge is the epicentre of the vein and should have the highest yield.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

xxEightxx posted:

City of Heroes did something similar, and probably had the best grouping system I've seen in any MMO (both the ability to find a group and participate). You should get auto-leveled to -1 level of your squad leader (so you can go up or down), and have your HP and damage scaled accordingly but you earn proportional exp to your level.

This only works if the loot is proportional to your actual level too. Otherwise, the result is that everyone floods a very small number of places in the world to play and farm or whatever. Granted, this always happens anyways to a degree but it would happen a lot more and instantly upon character creation for a lot of players if the "go to" place to farm was always and instantly accessible. Even if loot also scales, one may still encounter that issue more if upscaling is included.

I don't have anything against upscaling as a concept, but it does suck when most of the world in an MMO regularly feels empty.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Oggumogoggum posted:

From my understanding:

Hit the ground with your scanhammer, then fly up and look down at the generated waves from above. If resources (not just sifted earth) have been detected, you should see concentric circles flowing toward a central point. If you can't see the point where they converge, you may have to land and hammer again to get closer. The point at which they converge is the epicentre of the vein and should have the highest yield.

Yup, I was doing it wrong. I thought that everywhere within the color that your hammer reveals provides the same yield. What you just said makes a lot more sense.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Xavier434 posted:

Also, super noob question, but how do I repair my gear?
Battleframe garages have a red 'Repair' button on the bottom of the right panel.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I knew it had to be something in plain sight. Dunno how I missed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

Ralith posted:

Battleframe garages have a red 'Repair' button on the bottom of the right panel.

Good grief, thank you!

• Locked thread