Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I work as a Mechanical Engineer in Florida, and as my current project winds down I have been made aware that our next project is starting to spool up. This next project will be a major undertaking and will be located in China (Beijing). While there is still a possibility that a local project may open up, the likelihood is that I will be offered a position on this new project. If I were to accept this position it would not involve an immediate relocation, but I would work locally on design and first half of fabrication, at which point I may be relocated to Beijing for the remainder of fabrication and installation; a minimum of 1 year, more likely 2 years.

What is it like working in China as an American? As an Engineer? Am I just asking for lung cancer? What is the emigration process like?

This position would be a pretty big promotion for me from my current position, but I am not aware of the details. I probably have until the end of summer before making a commitment. Any advice would be helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Pop over to T&T and post this in the thread there. We'll tell you.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Well, I can't tell you what the experiences like for an engineer in China, but I can tell you what the experiences like for an engineer in Japan (as told to me by my engineer friend while I lived over there).

It's awesome.

First of all, you're way richer than all of your ex-pat friends. Those big trips out into the countryside staying at fancy hotels and eating fancy food are a big thing to them. To you it will just be a drop in the bucket.

Also, I hope you're single. You're going to have so many options with so many beautiful women hoping to practice their English and have a quirky foreign boyfriend. That you're enough high-paying job just makes you even more attractive to even more beautiful women.

As for the city itself, Beijing is an alright place. It's a very modern, (for China) very forward thinking, very fast paced big city. It's got an amazing art scene, really really good food, and cheap flights out to different parts of Asia.

If you start to feel homesick, it's easy to disappear in your work, since you'll be doing the same thing that you did back home.

I'd say living in Beijing will be a great experience for you.

Ferdinand the Bull fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 17, 2014

bling bling bilal
Sep 30, 2013
I'd recommend gas masks, or at the very least - face masks. Beijing is increasingly unlivable due to its notably poor air quality.

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20140321-expat-exodus-from-beijing

Don't drive either, you won't be getting yourself anywhere.

Learn a bit of Mandarin as well as the do's and don'ts of cultural etiquette.

Best of luck, it'll be a very enlightening experience.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

I lived in Beijing for a while. It's a great city, excellent public transit, loved the food, but if you don't look Asian expect to never hear the end of it. People will take pictures of you, try to practice their English with/on you. It's not considered rude, they're just genuinely excited to speak English with foreigners. That being said, that happens less in Beijing than in less westernized cities. Unless you're blond or a redhead, in which case people will want pictures with you constantly.

Also, definitely learn some mandarin. It's a rough city to navigate without it.

• Locked thread