Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I can't remember what it's called but my fav rice ball filling is this salty gooey seaweed paste stuff that comes in a little jar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Konbu

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Lol

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hakimashou posted:

I can't remember what it's called but my fav rice ball filling is this salty gooey seaweed paste stuff that comes in a little jar.

That’s probably gohandesuyo: http://www.shibatabread.com/2010/10/subbed-gaki-no-tsukai-absolutely-tasety.html?m=1

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Yep that's the stuff

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

When I opened this page, it asked me to download a bunch of files. :confused:

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Wow rinsing rice with my current equipment sucks. Last night I made some very tasty rice to try out onigiri ingredients, but it was really gooey and I think it's because I didn't rinse it very well (I was just filling up a pot with water over the rice, emptying it out, and filling it again) Tonight I'm gonna try again with a strainer with holes too large for uncooked rice, with a coffee filter on the bottom to keep them from falling out (which didn't occur to me yesterday :downs:)

On the bright side, both flavors of furikake I bought (ebi and katsuo) are wonderful!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Are you actively agitating the rice?

I put my rice in the cooker pot, full to just over the level of the rice and agitate the water with my hand for like 10 seconds until the water is nice and cloudy. Drain most of the water off, repeat until the water is mostly clear. Usually like 3 - 5 times for me.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
I was stirring it with a wooden spoon until it was cloudy, then draining and adding more water. I did that until it looked mostly clear, but when I started cooking it got much cloudier than I expected. Is that what makes it gooey? I've never seen a clear explanation as to what rinsing the rice actually does.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Doc Walrus posted:

I was stirring it with a wooden spoon until it was cloudy, then draining and adding more water. I did that until it looked mostly clear, but when I started cooking it got much cloudier than I expected. Is that what makes it gooey? I've never seen a clear explanation as to what rinsing the rice actually does.

It helps remove starch which is the component that causes stickiness. But rice is 30% starch, you're not going to get rid of all of it but it does help. If it's getting "gooey" you're using too much water. Cut down by 25%.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Ahhh gotcha, I was using a ton of water as well. Tonight I'm gonna make some pan-fried panko tilapia with a side of rice w/ katsuo furikake (The GF liked that one better than ebi) and if the texture is better this time I'll start actually making onigiri.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
You can try letting off some of the steam to dry it out a bit but, basically, make more rice and just experiment with the amount of washing, water, and steam time. And make sure you only change one variable at a time.

You'll figure out how to adjust things to get the kind of rice you want soon enough (e.g., less sticky/drier rice for use with stews)

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Pressure cooker Japanese curry came out great. Did some chuck with some sacrificial onion and carrot for 30 minutes, then took out those veg and out in new veg cut up into eating size and did 15 minutes more. At that point I had to take out the meat and veg to reduce the sauce but it came out great.

I can see how it will be easy to play with whatever veg is in season and looks good, and doing the beef this way came out so tender.

The Mrs doesn’t do spicy but I think I will add some gochujang to mine, thanks for that tip.

I wonder if even doing just a boatload of curried carrots this way would work?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I really like apples in mine. I've been toying with the idea of adding bicarbonate and caramelizing stuff, but I'm worried about how sweet it's going to be.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I like adding a small amount of grated asian pear

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Really anything is good. Strawberries are just coming into season here so the prices are going to be low enough to justify adding them in.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I did turnips and parsnips and rainbow carrots. And searing the chuck as big steaks and then cutting into chunks worked really well.

My only faux pas was leaving it unattended while reducing just a little too long and stuff had just started to stick badly on the bottom. Luckily it came back up and was awesome in the end. Veg was a little over but hey it’s basically stew right, so mushy is okay.

And the Zojirushi did some real nice sushi rice!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Doc Walrus posted:

Ahhh gotcha, I was using a ton of water as well. Tonight I'm gonna make some pan-fried panko tilapia with a side of rice w/ katsuo furikake (The GF liked that one better than ebi) and if the texture is better this time I'll start actually making onigiri.

The way I learned to Japanese rice:

Measure out rice in a measuring cup. Let's say 200 ml line here.
Wash the rice in a strainer.
Let sit for half an hour at least to dry. Do your other prep and cooking while this is resting.
Put in rice cooker. I add salt here because I'm normal but traditionally they don't add salt to rice while cooking in any part of East Asia I'm familiar with. I think this is incorrect and you should salt it.
Add yo water, about 10% more than your rice volume so get to the 200 ml line and go a little over it. Doesn't have to be super precise but if you go over 20% or so you're risking gooey.
Give a swish to spread out the salt.
Once it's done, I turn it off (mine automatically goes into keep warm), open the cooker to vent out the big steam cloud, then leave it closed about ten minutes before I serve. I find if I don't do this a bunch of it sticks to the cooker and the texture is worse, after that ten minutes it firms up a little and it all comes out.

I am sure there are thousands of other grandmas who have other methods but this way comes out good every time and the texture's just like what I'm used to getting in Japan.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
salt and no soak time, my grandma is rolling in her grave

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The way I was always taught was to leave it for 15~30 minutes after the rice cooker chimes and then give it a good folding with the rice paddle, which I was told would let the steam sink into the rice to stop it from becoming too sticky, and then the folding would prevent the grains from clumping. No idea if that's actually true but it's always worked for me.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Alright I made some pretty good onigiri! I rinsed the rice really well and cooked it with a lot less water. Once it was done cooking I added sushi vinegar + salt, then set it aside and made some chili sauce for Spicy Tuna Onigiri.
The sauce was gochujang + black bean paste with a little bit of fish sauce and mayo. It was delicious, but hardly spicy (I'll add a drop of Insanity sauce next time, maybe half a drop). This is the first time I've tasted Gochujang though and I'm glad I got a pretty big bottle of it (it's great)

So what would go well with smoked salmon? I'm planning on doing that next.

EDIT: Also, here's the chili sauce I half-assed because I didn't want to hunt down the rest of the ingredients. It's from The Uchi in Austin, TX where they serve it on a table spoon with a pear cube.

soybean oil
Korean chili pods
garlic
ginger
black garlic (in addition to regular garlic)
fermented black bean paste
fish sauce
black vinegar

Doc Walrus fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 22, 2018

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah gochujang isn't really spicy. It can get overpowering though, it's strong flavored and sweet. If you want to heat it up the Korean way, get gochugaru (chili powder) and mix that in. I also find any sort of garlicky/vinegary hot sauce mixes well with Korean food without drawing attention to itself.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Doc Walrus posted:

Wow rinsing rice with my current equipment sucks. Last night I made some very tasty rice to try out onigiri ingredients, but it was really gooey and I think it's because I didn't rinse it very well (I was just filling up a pot with water over the rice, emptying it out, and filling it again) Tonight I'm gonna try again with a strainer with holes too large for uncooked rice, with a coffee filter on the bottom to keep them from falling out (which didn't occur to me yesterday :downs:)

On the bright side, both flavors of furikake I bought (ebi and katsuo) are wonderful!

This is an ace buy

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004K6SAOS

I keep my rice paddle and zojirushi measuring cup in it in a cabinet.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pressure cooker curry chat: cheese and chocolate trip report leaves me questioning the point of the cheese, but the chocolate makes it taste quite good. Pro choice, IMO. I also tried to use sweet potato in the curry but it practically liquifies. Though it does add a good bit of body...that might not be so bad.

I've had good success with using seared beef shank as the meat - if you find some out there cheap, I'd recommend it!

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
The way I learned to make Japanese rice:

Wash your salt for nine minutes, then add it to the rice cooker. Pour a handful of dry Jasmine rice into the cooker, then throw some out the front door to ward off yokai. Set a glass of water next to the rice cooker. Turn it on. After ten minutes have passed, headbutt the rice cooker and open it up. Mix well with maple syrup, and serve immediately

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Yeah I'd add sweet potato late in cooking curry. It doesn't hold up to pressure cooking ime. Maybe if the time was super short...?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm gonna be starting a new job soon, and I want to get back into the swing of bringing my own lunch. I've got a perfectly good bento box I want to start using again, any suggestions on what bento staples I should learn using ingredients I can easily source in the United States? Stuff that tastes good cold and is easy to make ahead would be best, and I'm not afraid of just microwaving some sausages or shumai if I'm lazy. EDIT: Doesn't have to specifically be Japanese! Any cuisine works.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Yeah I'd add sweet potato late in cooking curry. It doesn't hold up to pressure cooking ime. Maybe if the time was super short...?

I'm considering just roasting it independently and adding it during the simmering/reducing process, or serving rounds as a side.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 28, 2018

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Roasting is actually really good! Toss in some shallot too and you'll have something quite nice to sauce.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Pollyanna posted:

I'm gonna be starting a new job soon, and I want to get back into the swing of bringing my own lunch. I've got a perfectly good bento box I want to start using again, any suggestions on what bento staples I should learn using ingredients I can easily source in the United States? Stuff that tastes good cold and is easy to make ahead would be best, and I'm not afraid of just microwaving some sausages or shumai if I'm lazy. EDIT: Doesn't have to specifically be Japanese! Any cuisine works.

don't know how traditional this is in a bento, but spinach gomae is my go to for tasty, easy to prep and good while cold side dish

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

salt and no soak time, my grandma is rolling in her grave
Yea. It was almost perfect, but soaking your rice in the water for ~30 minutes will make fluffier rice. I can't resist adding a square of kombu either. What can I say? Kelp is good.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

don't know how traditional this is in a bento, but spinach gomae is my go to for tasty, easy to prep and good while cold side dish

Agreed! It's perfect in a bento, in my opinion.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Yea. It was almost perfect, but soaking your rice in the water for ~30 minutes will make fluffier rice. I can't resist adding a square of kombu either. What can I say? Kelp is good.

I used to snarf a kombu onigiri from Family Mart every Saturday at work...soooo good...

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
So my girlfriend made Golden Curry for dinner tonight and it's magical. Now I'm thinking about... Golden Curry rice balls. I'm gonna try just mixing a little bit of curry into the rice so it isn't too soggy. Are there any other small things I could mix in along with the curry? I'll mix in some green onion probably, but I'd like to fit a meat of some kind in there.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I'd just strain some meat and veg out of curry and make it the onigiri filling.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Kare onigiri? Sure, go for it. Make it super thick and fill them when the curry is cold, just like making Kare pan.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'd worry about the curry itself making it too soggy, so I'd go with what Fleta suggested. Some well-chopped beef and vegetables strained from the curry would be fuckin' choice as a filling.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Pollyanna posted:

I'd worry about the curry itself making it too soggy, so I'd go with what Fleta suggested. Some well-chopped beef and vegetables strained from the curry would be fuckin' choice as a filling.

Leftover beef/ veg it is! This coming week's gonna be a good week for onigiri. I got some salmon skins from an Asian supermarket that opened up (another one!), big can of tuna, and we're making a lot of curry this week.

E: Is there anything else good I can use salmon skins for? It would be very, very convenient if something this cheap was more usable.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Doc Walrus posted:

Leftover beef/ veg it is! This coming week's gonna be a good week for onigiri. I got some salmon skins from an Asian supermarket that opened up (another one!), big can of tuna, and we're making a lot of curry this week.

E: Is there anything else good I can use salmon skins for? It would be very, very convenient if something this cheap was more usable.

Crispy Salmon Skin Rice Bowls

manny kaltz
Oct 16, 2011

What?...
Hello thread, I'm thinking of making miso soup for my work lunches next week. Is this soup a dish that can be reheated once it is made, or should I be looking to add the miso to the dashi & tofu etc. after the latter have been reheated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
It can be reheated.