Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Whitebait is just a catch all term for newly hatched fish, in Japan traditionally it's sardine/anchovy/herring. Sardine might be your best bet if you can get it fresh and whole. I know it's a traditional ingredient and was important for being one of the few calcium dense components of Japanese cuisine but it's absolutely terrible in terms of fish sustainability.

I can’t, and that’s why I was asking what you could replace it with. We just don’t have the stuff here in Finland. At all, any fish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

extradite THIS! posted:

I can’t, and that’s why I was asking what you could replace it with. We just don’t have the stuff here in Finland. At all, any fish.

Try sprat if you can't find vendace or baltic herring in small enough sizes, I guess? I'm kinda surprised you can't find very young/tiny vendace and herring though...

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I guess they’re just not part of the culture here, perhaps for the reasons Macdeo Lurjtux mentioned.

Vendace is the smallest fish you can get here, the smallest ones are about 5 cm in length - much larger than what whitebait seems to be. I guess I could use them anyway, but another problem is that Finnish lake fish needs to be cooked (or frozen) to kill any potential parasites, so using them as they do in the movie might be out of the question. Guess I could just fry ’em and see what happens anyway!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Can you get whole dried small ocean fish, like the sardines/herrings? Tossing a dried sardine with a little dried konbu into a spice grinder gets you an umami rich furikake that can get you close to the taste. Or failing that, since you have access to agar agar you should be able to get pre-made fish based furikake.

If you're aiming for aesthetics you can try seasoning bean sprouts with the furikake.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 12, 2020

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Can you get whole dried small ocean fish, like the sardines/herrings? Tossing a dried sardine with a little dried konbu into a spice grinder gets you an umami rich furikake that can get you close to the taste. Or failing that, since you have access to agar agar you should be able to get pre-made fish based furikake.

If you're aiming for aesthetics you can try seasoning bean sprouts with the furikake.

Huh, those are some interesting options. I think I’ve for sure seen dried sardines in the Thai shops here. Thanks for the idea, might have to experiment on this one!

Here’s my blog post about the anko and mochi I made the other day: https://lifehappenswhileyoureeating.blogspot.com/2020/06/our-little-sister-chikaramochi-with.html

Next one is the ajivendace furai, scheduled for next Sunday

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 14, 2020

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

It’s Sunday so here’s my fishy blog post about the non-aji furai

https://lifehappenswhileyoureeating.blogspot.com/2020/06/our-little-sister-deep-fried-mackerel.html

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
Help, I bought one of those 2lb frozen langoustine tails at Costco.

Want some Japanesy suggestion to cook them un bulk so I can just grab some protein the next couple of days, getting ready to go to the beach next month.

Would teriyaki work? Any good recipe for the glaze? Don't want anything breaded or fried.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

ogarza posted:

Help, I bought one of those 2lb frozen langoustine tails at Costco.

Want some Japanesy suggestion to cook them un bulk so I can just grab some protein the next couple of days, getting ready to go to the beach next month.

Would teriyaki work? Any good recipe for the glaze? Don't want anything breaded or fried.

Maybe poach them in dashi stock, then quickly fry with teriyaki to glaze.

Here's a recipe for teriyaki, it really is the easiest sauce in the world to make

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKN9y5i7ZP8

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

Helith posted:

Maybe poach them in dashi stock, then quickly fry with teriyaki to glaze.

Here's a recipe for teriyaki, it really is the easiest sauce in the world to make

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKN9y5i7ZP8

Thanks, I'll give that a shot

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Personally, I'd do a citrus vinaigrette and put them on some greens with strawberries, or watermellon. Teriyaki is too strong for langostino. You can make doria, or dynamite with them too if you want a heavier dish.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Personally, I'd do a citrus vinaigrette and put them on some greens with strawberries, or watermellon. Teriyaki is too strong for langostino. You can make doria, or dynamite with them too if you want a heavier dish.

The vinaigrette.. maybe yuzu and greens with watermelon sounds better, thanks!

ogarza fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 23, 2020

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Yuzu vin pairs great with langostines.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

Yuzu vin pairs great with langostines.

Thanks for the suggestion, the salad was fantastic.

The vinaigrette had yuzu and serrano.

Ended up poaching the langoustine in dashi, pickling some zuccini and yellow squash in rice wine vinegar, and adding avocado as well as watermelon

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
If anyone wants to cringe for a solid 15 minutes, here's some british food youtubers trying to make sushi as a challege: youtube.com/watch?v=2JJu7RZYQm4

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My first attempt at ramen; albeit with zero carb noodles since I'm on keto.

I followed the "Quick Shoyo Ramen" reciple from Way of Ramen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3_tcQiyGG8

Albeit with minor twists.

Subs:
I was a dumb dumb and didnt buy sake, so I used Shaoxing wine instead.
I didn't have lard and don't know how to get it so I used butter.
Added a spoonfull of szchuan chili oil.
Added a few dabs of hotsauce.
Noodles are konjac noodles.
Sweetener instead of sugar.

Wherever and whenever the reciple called for 1 tablespoon of soy sauce I used twice as much.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Lard is usually with the butter and shortening at the grocery store. You can render and season pork fat for better results. Actually, that recipe is pretty amateur and I'm guessing the reason you had to use double the shoyu is that they didn't use dashi in the stock, so it lacked the vegetable based glutamates.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I doubled it because it seemed like too little for the sauce pan I was working with. Especially for the quick egg thing.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
If you can double the tare, and it itsn't over seasoned; then it was too weak, probably with glutamates to begin with,

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Well I don't have a reference point if its too much or too little, as I like my salt and burned off my taste buds years ago.

feizhouxiongdi2
Oct 9, 2019

This is not really "cooking" but

I had discovered that natto + rice + mustard sprouts are a very tasty combo.

Natto + rice is already tasty. But i felt like it needed some greens, instead of green onion today i added the mustard sprouts and it was pleasantly enjoyable.

I put only a few sad sprouts first

but then i thought YOU GOTTA LIVE A LITTLE

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Kaiware is awesome for that too. Mustard and natto are classic together. It can stand up to strong flavors that's for sure.

feizhouxiongdi2
Oct 9, 2019

Kaiware is awesome for that too. Mustard and natto are classic together. It can stand up to strong flavors that's for sure.

I shall seek Kaiware next time I'm at a japanese market!!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Food nerds: Talk me into/out of this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KYDBX8N/

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Toshimo posted:

I have the smaller version of that one so consider that if you don't need as much rice at once (and it takes up little counter space). But otherwise it's awesome and you should get it.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

If you can make the workflow and setup work, you can also just steam rice instead.
https://thewoksoflife.com/how-to-steam-rice/

I'm now a big fan of this method since I cook just for myself and now don't have to deal with leftover rice or extra cookware to wash. It's also a really good way to control carb intake since you can cook just one serving and the 40 minutes of prep and cook time will discourage any impulse for extra servings. With a large enough steaming setup, you can also reheat leftovers in lieu of microwaving in addition to using it for recipes that call for steaming.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Edward IV posted:

If you can make the workflow and setup work, you can also just steam rice instead.
https://thewoksoflife.com/how-to-steam-rice/

I'm now a big fan of this method since I cook just for myself and now don't have to deal with leftover rice or extra cookware to wash. It's also a really good way to control carb intake since you can cook just one serving and the 40 minutes of prep and cook time will discourage any impulse for extra servings. With a large enough steaming setup, you can also reheat leftovers in lieu of microwaving in addition to using it for recipes that call for steaming.

I don't have this problem. I throw one scope of rice in my Zojirushi, set the timer, scope half out for lunch, scope the second half out for dinner. Rinse the bowl out and repeat the next day,

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute
I've had the same two cup Zojirushi cooker for more than a decade now. They are really good cookers and totally worth the cost if you make rice regularly.

Foam Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
Lurkzilla
Grimey Drawer

Toshimo posted:

If you’re going to get one, at least get the one with the cake setting. If they even still make those anymore.

Although my 3 cup is amazing and still works great after over 8 years of use.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I am going to make Tonkostu broth on Sunday day using the pressure cooker method to see how it compares to the traditional way.

However, due to Covid I can't get Shitake mushrooms. I have a lot of self-dried porcini mushrooms though. That should work as a substitute right?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Hopper posted:

I am going to make Tonkostu broth on Sunday day using the pressure cooker method to see how it compares to the traditional way.

However, due to Covid I can't get Shitake mushrooms. I have a lot of self-dried porcini mushrooms though. That should work as a substitute right?

It's going to be less effective than dried shiitake (https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/6488-mushrooms-porcini-versus-shiitake), but it won't be wrong or anything. Most cuisine throughout history came into being making due with what you got.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah sadly both fresh and dried shiitake supplies seem to have "dried up" due to covid. But I have boatload of porcini my dad gathers and dried every year up in sweden. So I don't mind chucking double or triple amounts in. It won't match up with the 15x flavour boost but it should work.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I know this is probably kind of hard to quantify in text, but how flavorful should kombu dashi be? I tried to make some today, just got some kombu from the local Asian grocery store and steeped it in water for about 3 hours at room temp. I don't read a ton of Japanese but the package at least said something about dashi on it so I'm fairly certain it was the right stuff, it had lots of the white mannitol powder on the surface.

The dashi tastes like seaweed (sort of like nori in flavor, but not exactly the same), but doesn't really have a strong umami flavor, it's pretty weak tasting overall. Is this a sign that I didn't use enough, or steep long enough, or just got old/bad kombu? I've never had just plain old kombu dashi so I have nothing to compare it to.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
For pure kombu broth, I usually do about 1 square inch of kelp per quart and steep it over night in the fridge. I don't think you'll get much flavor from 3 hours at room temp. Granted, you're mostly in it for the glutamates.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
So, if you have considered it, don't try to make pressure cooker tonkotsu. It takes "only" about 5 hours but the result sucks.

The recipe was very close to the serious eats tonkotsu I made before, but unlike the traditional method tonkotsu, this pressure cooker variety is just mostly tasteless yet it smells good. very weird. It can be turned into a decent ramen broth by adding garlic powder, sesame oil and soy sauce, but a that point I could just make a quick soy sauce based broth in 1/5th of the time.

Not sure what went wrong, but I am not doing that again. Tonkotsu is just not practical to make at home.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Does it not freeze well or something? It doesn't seem anymore impractical than any other bone stock you can make, slap it on the stove when you wake up and pull it off before bed. Doesn't seem too bad to me.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah true, maybe I need to improve my workflow but last time I made it the traditional way, 15 hours of cooking yielded 6 bowls worth of broth. And that was using my biggest pot, I don't have a bigger pot or even the capabilities to heat a bigger pot. I just don't think that is worth the effort you have to put in, considering you can't leave the house for an entire day.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

MockingQuantum posted:

I know this is probably kind of hard to quantify in text, but how flavorful should kombu dashi be? I tried to make some today, just got some kombu from the local Asian grocery store and steeped it in water for about 3 hours at room temp. I don't read a ton of Japanese but the package at least said something about dashi on it so I'm fairly certain it was the right stuff, it had lots of the white mannitol powder on the surface.

The dashi tastes like seaweed (sort of like nori in flavor, but not exactly the same), but doesn't really have a strong umami flavor, it's pretty weak tasting overall. Is this a sign that I didn't use enough, or steep long enough, or just got old/bad kombu? I've never had just plain old kombu dashi so I have nothing to compare it to.

For dashi, I think there’s going to be an upper limit on how savory you’ll get it to taste with kombu alone. The common dashi which also contains dried fish actually has 2 distinct sources of tasty umami compounds: glutamic acid from the seaweed and inosinic acid from the katsuobushi (dried fish) flakes. Those two are actually synergistic; the umami taste you get when you have both is supposedly much more than with either one alone. (This blog post about vegan dashi says like 8x but that may be an overstatement)

The Korean analogue trades the katsuobushi (dried skipjack tuna) for dried anchovies to achieve the same result. For vegans, a common substitution is some dried shiitake mushrooms, which contribute guanylic acid instead and does a similar job. Although the last few times I tried it with shiitake I got some weird off-flavors from the mushroom so I have some refining to do there.

I haven’t made just pure kombu dashi before, but my understanding is that it’s not going to be as savory as a dashi that uses 2 components.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Well, that's good to know, if disappointing. I'll try adding some kombu back in and throwing it in the fridge overnight, to see what I end up with. At worst, I've wasted a couple of bucks on kombu, which isn't the end of the world.

Any ideas on other options for making a nice umami dashi? My wife is vegetarian so katsuobushi is out as an option, and mushrooms have a tendency to make me sick, though I've only had that happen in dishes with actual bits of mushroom in them, and I can't swear shiitake is a culprit, but I'm hesitant to try to make a kombu/shiitake dashi for that reason.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If you can't use mushrooms or fish I'm not sure what else to add. I use marmite in a lot of sauces for a bit of savory boost but usually you can't taste it, in dashi I suspect you would. You could try just adding some MSG. Katsuobushi is smoky too, so maybe see what a drop of liquid smoke does to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Honestly, kombu dashi granules will probably serve you best as there's added MSG, in terms of flavor. I've also just cheated by adding a touch of soy sauce to kombu dashi.

But if I were you, I'd just make a really mellow and flavorful veggie broth (with appropriate veggies) and accept that the flavor profile might need some tweaking.