Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

If you can't use mushrooms or fish I'm not sure what else to add. I use marmite in a lot of sauces for a bit of savory boost but usually you can't taste it, in dashi I suspect you would. You could try just adding some MSG. Katsuobushi is smoky too, so maybe see what a drop of liquid smoke does to it.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Honestly, kombu dashi granules will probably serve you best as there's added MSG, in terms of flavor. I've also just cheated by adding a touch of soy sauce to kombu dashi.

But if I were you, I'd just make a really mellow and flavorful veggie broth (with appropriate veggies) and accept that the flavor profile might need some tweaking.

These are probably the right answers. And accepting that I might never quite be able to make good miso soup from scratch, hah. Thanks for the ideas!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Lard is usually with the butter and shortening at the grocery store.

It is where I live :britain: for sure, but that wasn't always my experience in the US. If you don't see it there, try the Mexican aisle and look for tubs labelled manteca.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Powdered dashi is good for most uses, but the Ajinomoto stuff is not vegetarian. I don't know if there are veg ones but probably?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I know I used to buy pricey, bougie vegan powdered dashi at Whole Foods back in the day, but I don't remember a brand. I'm sure it exists somewhere, though.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Is there a reason you can't make shiitake broth, with kombu? I mean, I use and make pure kombu broth as an intermediary when I'm doing multiple soup courses and dietary requirements to make into large dashi later.
-edit- make 16 quarts of the kobu dashi. char over fire the following, 1 leek, 2 onions, 2 2" pieces of ginger. put them in a hotel pan in the oven at 350 for 15 more minutes to continue breaking down sugars. throw them into your dashi with about a quart of shiitake stems, add 3.3 quarts of water, reduce back down to 16 quarts. You have some nice vegan dashi with enough water soluble fiber to make you poo poo.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 26, 2020

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Is there a reason you can't make shiitake broth, with kombu? I mean, I use and make pure kombu broth as an intermediary when I'm doing multiple soup courses and dietary requirements to make into large dashi later.
-edit- make 16 quarts of the kobu dashi. char over fire the following, 1 leek, 2 onions, 2 2" pieces of ginger. put them in a hotel pan in the oven at 350 for 15 more minutes to continue breaking down sugars. throw them into your dashi with about a quart of shiitake stems, add 3.3 quarts of water, reduce back down to 16 quarts. You have some nice vegan dashi with enough water soluble fiber to make you poo poo.

My goon said that mushrooms make him sick sometimes:

MockingQuantum posted:

:
Any ideas on other options for making a nice umami dashi? My wife is vegetarian so katsuobushi is out as an option, and mushrooms have a tendency to make me sick, though I've only had that happen in dishes with actual bits of mushroom in them, and I can't swear shiitake is a culprit, but I'm hesitant to try to make a kombu/shiitake dashi for that reason.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Same thing, no shrooms then. The charred leek and onions should get it done. Nori carries a very balanced umami too if you want to go that route, you can use things like green alge and dulce to make a balanced sea produce stock.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
Hey quick question, what's in the yakisoba seasoning packets? I wanna make my own. This brand specifically:

https://www.instacart.com/products/...n=&utm_content=

Thank you.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

thehandtruck posted:

Hey quick question, what's in the yakisoba seasoning packets? I wanna make my own. This brand specifically:

https://www.instacart.com/products/...n=&utm_content=

Thank you.

mostly just salt I think

you can buy bottles of liquid yakisoba sauce and use that

https://www.amazon.com/Yakisoba-Sauce-17-6oz-by-Otafuku/dp/B00886E9DM

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

hakimashou posted:

mostly just salt I think

you can buy bottles of liquid yakisoba sauce and use that

https://www.amazon.com/Yakisoba-Sauce-17-6oz-by-Otafuku/dp/B00886E9DM

Are you sure it's the same? I have a few different brands of yakisoba sauce including the one you linked and it doesn't taste the same as the powder packets in various yakisoba brands.

edit: or maybe it does and my tongue is bad

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

thehandtruck posted:

Are you sure it's the same? I have a few different brands of yakisoba sauce including the one you linked and it doesn't taste the same as the powder packets in various yakisoba brands.

Ive always just thrown out the powdered packets tbh. Is it kinda red-brown, little fruity almost?

Maybe add a bunch more salt to it i dunno

Maybe the packets have aonoriko in it, a kind of powdered seaweed with a distinct flavor, I think you're supposed to sprinkle some of that on yakisoba (and takoyaki and okonomiyaki)

https://www.amazon.com/Otafuku-Aonori-Flakes-Seaweed-0-21oz/dp/B071ZKZN1X/

Pretty dang overpriced on amazon, I get it from a japanese grocery in a big bag for like 20 bucks and it lasts forever.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 30, 2020

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I made a mess of carnitas on a whim, realized I had no tacos, and used it as the meat in JP curry to salvage it. The meat was so tender it basically dissolved into pork threads and the entire pot became a homogeneous curry-flavored pork slurry. It tasted pretty good actually but whew the aesthetics were not pleasing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Sounds perfect for curry katsu.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Sounds perfect for curry katsu.

That was dinner last night.

Carrot, onion, sweet potato, acorn squash.
A knob of dark chocolate with the curry mix.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

thehandtruck posted:

Powder packets are going to be a bit harder to recreate. They don't make the sauce and dehydrate it, they'll make it with shelf stable chemical compounds. At its heart yakisoba is a mix of Worchester, oyster sauce, ketchup and then a little soy sauce and sugar. You can start there and adjust till you get what you want.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Powder packets are going to be a bit harder to recreate. They don't make the sauce and dehydrate it, they'll make it with shelf stable chemical compounds. At its heart yakisoba is a mix of Worchester, oyster sauce, ketchup and then a little soy sauce and sugar. You can start there and adjust till you get what you want.

Uh. Where? :shobon:

(Worcestershire. Pronounced woo-ster-sher)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yep. Keeping in mind that what Japan means by Worcestershire sauce is nothing at all like the original, you need to get Japanese. Justonecookbook.com has a good mix, I add a little vinegar and cut the ketchup way down, the amount she has in there just makes it taste like ketchup.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey anyone more familiar with Japanese people than me, can you confirm that among the Japanese, Osakans are massive Italian-tier gatekeepers about food authenticity

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Steve Yun posted:

Hey anyone more familiar with Japanese people than me, can you confirm that among the Japanese, Osakans are massive Italian-tier gatekeepers about food authenticity

Most regions have some kind of regional dish or dishes they do that for, Ive never heard of any region having a particularly snooty attitude about japanese food in general relative to the rest of the country.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Japanese Cooking Thread, what is the best okonomiyaki recipe

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Steve Yun posted:

Go to the closest place that uses decent ingredients but doesn't gouge their prices.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Well, you take things as you like... and you fry it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
age is fry, yaki is grill (kinda, it's complicated right?)

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Do you prefer Osaka or Hiroshima style?
That is the only important okonomiyaki question tbh.

Just eat it with lots of sauce and mayo and bonito.

I want okonomiyaki now.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I think the batter is more or less a standard flour and water batter, with some potato starch and kelp flakes?

But really, you just gotta make a batter, load it up with the ingredients you like, and add toppings. I personally like pumpkin or squash in mine, and lots of scallions and gari. (I don't know or care if the gari is "traditional," but I can eat it however I like! IT'S IN THE NAME, DANGIT.)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Helith posted:

Do you prefer Osaka or Hiroshima style?
That is the only important okonomiyaki question tbh.

Just eat it with lots of sauce and mayo and bonito.

I want okonomiyaki now.

I would like to try both but let’s start with Osaka

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

OK, try this then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2Eed0Z2dgM

Adam Liaw is always a good start

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
I just wing it with okonomiyaki and it's always good. Batter is flour, dashi, eggs. Mix in shredded cabbage (a lot), beni shoga, green onions, shrimp, bean sprouts, whatever you like. Fry in oil, I like thinly sliced pork loin (rather than fatty pork) on top and then it gets crispy and brown quickly after you flip it. Mayo, the sauce, bonito shavings on top after it's done.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I ran out of okinomiyaki sauce and mixed some l&p with hoisin and I think I prefer it that way now.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
You guys made me crave okonomyaki... How essential are the tenkasu? I can't get them here and I don't want to deep fry batter just for the one time use.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've never used them. I would consider bonito flakes to be more essential. And kewpie mayo.

I just buy vegetable pancake mix at the Asian market and make it with dashi (from dashi powder). Sometimes I'll use dried shiitakes in it, in which case I use the rehydrating water as the base for my dashi, so get all the flava.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Good to know, I have the mayo and dashi powder, I even have enough kombu and katsobushi to make dashi from scratch, plus some dried shitake, porkbelly, shrimps, a fresh cabbage and I know I should be able to buy okonomi sauce at the Asian grocery, alternatively I have everything to make my own.

I'll make them on Friday and will let you know how it went.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Hopper posted:

You guys made me crave okonomyaki... How essential are the tenkasu? I can't get them here and I don't want to deep fry batter just for the one time use.

We do put tenkasu in ours but only because we can buy them from the Japanese supermarket near us. They source them from the nearby Japanese restaurants and sell bags of them for 50c Australian. They also stock pre-made ones from Otafuku. They do add nice texture, but they're not essential. I also get pre-mixed and seasoned okonomiyaki flour from there too but strong bread flour is just as good.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I sometimes buy tenkasu for okonomiyaki but I've only remembered to put it in once. Getting your batter the right consistency and your okonomiyaki the right thickness are bigger issues.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
This is admittedly a super dumb question, but could you sub in rice krispies or something for tenkasu?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I couldn't find tenkasu at the local grocery (though I did find beni shoga, so yay for that), a friend suggested adding some panko instead but I can't imagine it'd be the same, rice krispies honestly seem like they'd be closer to the intended texture, lol

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
it would take about 2 minutes to just make some tenkasu if you really wanted to

get your smallest saucepan and put like an inch of oil in it, heat it up, make a little bit of tempura batter and sprinkle it in, scoop it out

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Forget the tenkasu and just skip ahead to the superior Hiroshima okonomiyaki, imo.

E: Apparently Hiroshima style uses it too but the fact I never noticed reinforces my belief it doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

MockingQuantum posted:

rice krispies honestly seem like they'd be closer to the intended texture, lol

That's clever, they might even be better tbh. If I ever make okonomiyaki at home I'll give that a shot for shits and giggles.