Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I used to do usukuchi and regular but I do mainly shinmi now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

hallo spacedog posted:

I used to do usukuchi and regular but I do mainly shinmi now

Oh cool, never tried shinmi before. How would you describe it?

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Thoht posted:

Oh cool, never tried shinmi before. How would you describe it?

I think it's slightly mellower and has more umami than regular soy sauce. It's got a really nice color too.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I have a ridiculous amount of soy sauces because I'm a dipshit who buys weird artisanal stuff. Regular Yamasa is the (Japanese) one I use the most though. Haven't tried the shinmi, I have a bottle of marudaizu that I use sometimes.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
It was almost certainly calling for half regular Japanese soy sauce and half usukuchi

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

big black turnout posted:

It was almost certainly calling for half regular Japanese soy sauce and half usukuchi

I agree, I think we've finally solved at least part of the problem.

It is annoying that two completely different ingredients are commonly called "dark soy sauce" in English.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I got some Yamasa yesterday and then prepped some soft-boiled eggs. I should know by tonight if the eggs are coming out like unsweetened iced tea.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Soy chat! have some of this on my wishlist from watching a YouTube on the insane brewing process. https://www.amazon.com/Yamaroku-Artisan-Japanese-Premium-Gourmet/dp/B0036TFXY0

Anyone ever tried it? I presume it is a dressing soy, not cooking soy? Is it worth it?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I got a trip report on some miso ramen. I mostly followed the Ramen_Lord miso ramen steps. I was making something like the Kara Miso in particular. Some notes:

1. I didn't actually have a good bone broth, but I had a vegetable-heavy broth so,
2. ...I added a little flour to the paste and made up a roux. I'm a bad person.
3. I think I pretty much was able to make the tare mostly as prescribe with what I had on hand but...
4. ...I didn't make a bunch of paste in one go because I still had doubt, so I just did two 70g serving's worth.
5. I didn't fully cook and prep all that, and used some powders. I intend to now commit to making it for real. I just wanted to get an impression before committing to a volume of it.

I don't know if I am in the ballpark yet with what I wanted, but I'm at least in the same city now. The soft-boiled eggs tasted pretty good and didn't give off black tea tannin vibes.

I added some soy sauce to the ground pork I was using. My wife thought it made it taste like it was going off. I know what she meant, but it didn't bother me at all since I knew what I did, but it put her off.

I certainly intend to use some bone broth and I will make the tare in bulk in the prescribe size to practice for a bit.

I wondered if anybody has tried using powdered collagen and gelatin and what the effect was. It looks like most people buying that stuff just want it as some superfood that repairs all your joints. Whatever. I am buying some for when I'm not cooking down a pile of bones and chicken feet or whatever. I do intend to prep some of that though. The broth was just too thin as it stood even with the miso tare stirred in.

Are any ramen heads here generally just precooking a bunch of different stuff and then getting it warmed up together for assemble for a fresh bowl? I intend to do a lot of this during my Christmas break and need to streamline. Otherwise, I'm making a pile of dishes every day for one huge-rear end bowl.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Nice, glad things are improving.

Roux is definitely nontraditional but I can't see why it'd be bad in something like a miso-style bowl. I would make it separately from your tare (if that's what you meant by "paste"), not cooking the miso will result in a stronger miso flavor.

Powdered gelatin will be fine, it's tasteless and will just make your broth have thicker mouthfeel. Go for it.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Are any ramen heads here generally just precooking a bunch of different stuff and then getting it warmed up together for assemble for a fresh bowl? I intend to do a lot of this during my Christmas break and need to streamline. Otherwise, I'm making a pile of dishes every day for one huge-rear end bowl.

Most of the effort in ramen is the noodles (which I buy and freeze so I always have some around), then the broth, then the tare.

For broth, I keep general-purpose homemade chicken stock in my freezer all the time and generally use it as my ramen broth too, if I don't have time for ramen-specific broth or don't feel like putting in the effort. (I generally do just plain chicken broth, like the "new wave chicken chintan" on p62, so I can use it in both Asian and western cooking. Sometimes I do a more specifically Chinese-style chicken stock with scallion, garlic, and ginger, which I don't see in the Ramen_Lord book but works well and is useable for anything Chinese too.)

Whenever I do make tare I make it in bulk-ish, whenever I make brine for ajitama I make a deli container's worth, whenever I make aroma oil I make a deli container's worth, and I throw all that poo poo in the fridge since it keeps well and I can use it again next time I feel like ramen. If I make chashu, which is not always, I definitely make a lot of that and freeze most of it.

When I feel like ramen for dinner, I just drop some tare in a serving bowl, defrost some chicken stock in a saucepan, and put a pot of water on a low rolling boil. The boiling water gets used to cook my egg before dropping it into its brine, and can get used to cook cabbage or corn or bean sprouts or whatever other toppings before it eventually gets used for the noodles, which I cook directly from frozen. I can defrost chashu or other proteins in the chicken stock (bonus: they've now flavored the stock!), and many other toppings go on raw or briefly soaked anyway (sliced scallion, sesame, nuts, butter, menma, kikurage, spice blends, etc).

If you've got noodles, stock and tare in the freezer/fridge, you can go from "hmm ramen sounds nice" to eating a bowl in under an hour while dirtying two pots and a cutting board.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I'm glad we have a few pro-rear end ramen makers in this thread because it's one thing I have close to zero experience doing

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I made a bunch of the kara miso from the Ramen_Lord book this afternoon. Last time, I just made approximate subportions for the 70g bits you actually use in a dish, didn't cook it, and had to approximate on stuff that would have subdivided below 2 grams or so. This time I did the full load, and also tasted some of it along the way. It really did take a lot of the edge off. On the other hand, I didn't use onion and a red bell last time so it actually ended up being much more dilute. So overall it's not as hot, and I assume overall it's not as salty. I'm pretty confident it'll take from into the ballpark of what I want (where right now I'm just in the city, so the speak).

It produced something like 600 grams volumetrically (like, a 24-ounce canning jar) of output, which just seemed like a lot. On the other hand, shoving it into on of those jars made me wonder if I could can this stuff into smaller jars. I'm guessing I'd have to pressure can because I'm guessing none of the ingredients are particularly acidic. That's an adventure for another . . . year, after I move and have a kitchen I can settle into.

It also got considerably darker and darker as I cooked it down, which gives me a lot more confidence this is more like what I'm looking for.

Is dark red miso--the stuff that is horrible to spoon out--basically solid soy sauce? It really gave me that vibe when I tasted it. I was tried the miso pastes as I went. I can see with white miso how people would more casually eat that, although it still seems kind of salty to just throw in a bowl. Is there a less saltier miso people use to just pound down? I had so much salt today tasting everything that I don't think they'll need to embalm me when I die.

I am suspecting that for the final effect that I'm going to have to figure out how Ramen Tatsu-Ya here in Austin is making their spicy bombs. This whole "bomb" thing looks like an inconsistent topic. I was assuming it was some new ramen trend but it doesn't regularly come up. You can generally spend an extra buck to get some extra in-house paste to add a lot more flavor. I believe their mi-so-hot is just their mi-so-not with a spicy bomb thrown in.

You can see the bombs here:

https://www.facebook.com/ramentatsu...Xi1gN9Yoz0&_rdr

I can't visually tell the difference between the spicy bomb and the fire in a bowl bombs when they're lined up like that. In truth, they both give a lot of different heat. I suspect the chili bomb is a bunch of rehydrated chiles mashed together. I think their yuzu kosho is also in-house.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is dark red miso--the stuff that is horrible to spoon out--basically solid soy sauce?
There are lots of similarities between miso and soy sauce, yes. One traditional way of making soy sauce is to collect the liquid that comes out when you make miso! Like soy sauce, you don't want to eat spoonfuls of it unless you are a salt fiend.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

TychoCelchuuu posted:

There are lots of similarities between miso and soy sauce, yes. One traditional way of making soy sauce is to collect the liquid that comes out when you make miso! Like soy sauce, you don't want to eat spoonfuls of it unless you are a salt fiend.

It's me the salt fiend. I can eat shiro miso by the spoonful

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
The properly-cooked miso paste was very well-received. The collagen powder didn't succeed in bringing up the viscosity of the broth, so I'll have to see how it goes doing it the old-fashioned way.

Edit: I am reading the Ramen_Lord section on soup and it sounds like I should have added some fat and run that broth through a blender first. I guess tonkotsu is an emulsion. I will revisit that, but I have a shitpile of bones warming up right now.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Dec 20, 2022

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Blending to whip up the broth had a major effect on viscosity and texture. I really like this result, although it seems like a real pain to have to basically blend boiling broth right before serving.

Also, the broth was so thick from collagen that it fully set in the fridge and I carved out the quantities I needed.

Anyways, it's more of a question of workflow and how to do this all without it taking so much time and space.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
https://twitter.com/AmelieinTokyo/status/1606423036881784832/photo/1

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I was at a Japanese/California restaurant yesterday (quite good), and I came upon a life-changer. They had a drink they called a "winter soother", which was a cup of hot sake with, on the side, a small heap of grated fresh ginger and two lemon slices. You mixed the ingredients to taste; I stuck to the ginger. In no way Japanese, but man, did my sinuses appreciate it. Also, easier (for me) to drink than a hot Scotch toddy, my previous go-to.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I was at a Japanese/California restaurant yesterday (quite good), and I came upon a life-changer. They had a drink they called a "winter soother", which was a cup of hot sake with, on the side, a small heap of grated fresh ginger and two lemon slices. You mixed the ingredients to taste; I stuck to the ginger. In no way Japanese, but man, did my sinuses appreciate it. Also, easier (for me) to drink than a hot Scotch toddy, my previous go-to.

Out of curiosity I did a quick search and it looks like some people also use shochu instead of sake for something like this with honey or syrup, ginger and lemon.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Time for the annual NYE sukiyaki! Unfortunately there were no shungiku at H Mart today, but flavor wise it came out the best we've ever made.

hallo spacedog fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 1, 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I made kabayaki with bronzini, was good. I did not take pictures. Drinking a bottle of Ohyama hiyaoroshi for my New Year booz.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I understood the word “booze”

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hallo spacedog posted:

Time for the annual NYE sukiyaki! Unfortunately there were no shungiku at H Mart today, but flavor wise it came out the best we've ever made.

That spread looks great. Did you use ribeye?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I understood the word “booze”

Bronzini is a tasty fish. Kabayaki is the way eel is normally cooked with the thicc sweet sauce, but you can use other fish. Ohyama is a sake brand. Hiyaoroshi is the fresh single pasteurized sake you can get in fall. Tends to have a more intense flavor, though not as much as the unpasteurized namazake that comes out in spring.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

Bronzini is a tasty fish. Kabayaki is the way eel is normally cooked with the thicc sweet sauce, but you can use other fish. Ohyama is a sake brand. Hiyaoroshi is the fresh single pasteurized sake you can get in fall. Tends to have a more intense flavor, though not as much as the unpasteurized namazake that comes out in spring.

Sounds excellent, thanks

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That spread looks great. Did you use ribeye?

Indeed I did and it was perfect

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I wanna make sukiyaki, but getting sukiyaki cut meat is impossible, and doing it myself has never come out great.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
What are people's recommendations for rice cookers? There are a few in the OP but it's pretty old now

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Across the board people will probably all recommend a Zojirushi. I am partial to Tiger because they are still made in Japan iirc. I have a Tiger JBA-T10U.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
And don’t overlook the Aroma brand if you’re just looking for a simple, affordable one touch cooker without the bells and whistles.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The really fancy rice cookers don't appear to be available outside of Asia, something about radio emission certifications or something.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
If I had money, it'd be a Zoji, Tiger, or Aroma.

But as a poor fucker, I have a decent enough Panasonic SR-DF101 that's lasted me years now.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I had a zojirushi for years but it got broken in a move. Switched to a tiger and I wish I would've stayed with zojirushi

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

hallo spacedog posted:

Across the board people will probably all recommend a Zojirushi. I am partial to Tiger because they are still made in Japan iirc. I have a Tiger JBA-T10U.

Zojirushi still makes their higher-end rice cookers in Japan if you're willing to spend enough money. In fact, they make more models (7) in Japan than Tiger does (2); the JKT-D and JAX-T are marked 'Made in Japan' if you visit the product pages, and the rest are presumably made overseas.

e: This does not include models not sold in the USA, if you want to go grey-market for their real flagship models.

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jan 12, 2023

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Zojirushi is popular because it has a Japanese name and blew up on the internet. Also the overly high price is taken to denote quality. Definitely not the best and I think it's 4th highest selling brand in Japan.

Compare functionality before name and hype.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I like elephants.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
My zoji water bottle is sacred

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

I have a Yum Asia induction rice cooker and its the tits.

Makes tadig style crunchy rice perfectly

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
My family has generally been using Tatung rice cookers, but that's largely because it's a Taiwanese company. That said, it's functionally a double boiler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T9QpjjXzyg
Interesting video about the oldest Japanese restaurant in Los Angeles.