Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

This looks amazing, I'll definitely be giving this a try if you post a recipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Pollyanna posted:

In episode 4 of Today's Menu for the Emiya Family, they make a sandwich out of crispy bacon, scrambled eggs, blanched sansai, and a mustard spread. I want to make this, but I'm not sure what common USA greens are analogous to sansai. Broccoli rabe and fiddleheads, maybe? Is there a closer alternative?

EDIT: It looks like they're specifically using nanohana in the sandwich, if that helps.

I'm watching the first episode right now, loving it, but HOLY CRAP that green can of lovely parmesan sprinkle in the fridge door. When did that become a universal thing?

If I was going to make that sandwich, I'd probably do it with skinny asparagus and maybe some ramps, farmers market fresh stuff. Not in season right now unfortunately. I don't think anything else in the US is similar.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 1, 2018

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Grand Fromage posted:

Anyone got a good guide on how to start making nukazuke? I found a place to buy rice bran so I need to know the whole process from the beginning.

I wrote up a two parter some time ago in the pickling thread. Here's part one: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437802&userid=177786#post440058889

Iirc that's all you need to get started and part 2 got posted not long after. Have fun!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Just learned about macaroni gratin. It's like Minnesota Hot Dish wandered into a basement yazuka bar and everyone came out friends and overly fond of gravy. Gonna make this with broccoli in it, as macaroni and broccoli is a fav of mine.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Posted in general questions but may be more relevant here:

Any of ya'll ever make Tamago Ajitsuke for ramen? I did a 3 minute egg in the instant pot. Ice bathed it. Peeled it. It "felt" great. Just right. You could tell it was soft.

I marinated them in the marinade and tested one about 5 hours later and it was firm yellow. LIke almost a hardboiled egg.

The marinade hadn't penetrated fully. So it can't be that, right??

My only guess was there was still residual heat in the egg post ice-bath?

Any ideas?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I wrote up a two parter some time ago in the pickling thread. Here's part one: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437802&userid=177786#post440058889

Iirc that's all you need to get started and part 2 got posted not long after. Have fun!

Awesome. Are you still willing to mail a starter? If so I'll PM you when I am ready to get my bed started.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Grand Fromage posted:

Awesome. Are you still willing to mail a starter? If so I'll PM you when I am ready to get my bed started.

Mine died off during the heat wave, sorry! I've got to get one going again. Sometimes you can find a starter nukadoko mix, though I'm not entirely sure what those contain.

Now you said you got rice bran, but I'd like to note that in general, wheat bran and oat bran just don't seem to work as well as rice bran. Not that they don't work, they're just harder to start and maintain imo.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Feenix posted:

Posted in general questions but may be more relevant here:

Any of ya'll ever make Tamago Ajitsuke for ramen? I did a 3 minute egg in the instant pot. Ice bathed it. Peeled it. It "felt" great. Just right. You could tell it was soft.

I marinated them in the marinade and tested one about 5 hours later and it was firm yellow. LIke almost a hardboiled egg.

The marinade hadn't penetrated fully. So it can't be that, right??

My only guess was there was still residual heat in the egg post ice-bath?

Any ideas?

Yes, that and did you stick the marinade/egg in the 'fridge? That's what I did and it ended up with a fine texture.

Probably something you really have to just try a few more times to get the hang of it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

totalnewbie posted:

Yes, that and did you stick the marinade/egg in the 'fridge? That's what I did and it ended up with a fine texture.

Probably something you really have to just try a few more times to get the hang of it.

Marinade and egg went into fridge, yes.
Honestly it must have just had residual in-egg heat because I did another batch this morning that was perfect at the exact same timing.

Thanks! :)

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

So I'm picking up miso for vegetables and soups and such, but I was wondering how important or necessary it is to pick up both kinds of miso. I had previously used mixed miso but I was finding it a bit too strong and salty for everyday use, so I was thinking about primarily using white miso this time. Is it still worth getting a thing of red?

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I think you'll be fine with just white.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I prefer a mix of the two for miso soup but it's all up to personal taste.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I got some "Komatsuna" japanese vegetables for the garden this year, looks like a leafy green.

Anyone familiar with it and have suggestions for using it?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

It's a mustard green, so it's a touch bitter, but pretty mild and the stalks/leaves aren't too stringy.

I've seen it mostly as a nimono or tossed into soup.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

In episode 4 of Today's Menu for the Emiya Family, they make a sandwich out of crispy bacon, scrambled eggs, blanched sansai, and a mustard spread. I want to make this, but I'm not sure what common USA greens are analogous to sansai. Broccoli rabe and fiddleheads, maybe? Is there a closer alternative?

EDIT: It looks like they're specifically using nanohana in the sandwich, if that helps.

Nanohana is rapeseed blossom, the same rapeseed that is the base of canola oil. It's a seasonal bitter green that's in season in early spring. Most greens, especially a slightly bitter mustard family green would fill in well and pair with the mustard spread. A lot of the satisfaction of cooking / eating the seasonal greens like nanohana is eating it for the limited time it's available, so don't feel obligated to find it now.

hakimashou posted:

I got some "Komatsuna" japanese vegetables for the garden this year, looks like a leafy green.

Anyone familiar with it and have suggestions for using it?

It's pretty versatile, you can use it for most preparations. The most popular dish would probably ohitashi, blanched then steeped and chilled in a dashi sauce. It's good in soups and stirfrys with fatty ingredients like pork or aburaage, or you can make a simple pickle with just salt or a light soy sauce dashi like nozawana pickles.

Mongoose fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Oct 4, 2018

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Mongoose posted:

Nanohana is rapeseed blossom, the same rapeseed that is the base of canola oil. It's a seasonal bitter green that's in season in early spring. Most greens, especially a slightly bitter mustard family green would fill in well and pair with the mustard spread. A lot of the satisfaction of cooking / eating the seasonal greens like nanohana is eating it for the limited time it's available, so don't feel obligated to find it now.
Yu choi sum would be pretty close I imagine.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I imagine Rapini/Broccoli Raab would work rather well for that kind of thing too

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So I ended up making that sandwich (more or less - I hosed up the egg part thinking I could just cheat with egg salad) and used yu choy as the greens. The taste was great, but unfortunately, I don't really like how the greens came out. The bacon and the egg are crispy and distinct and separate very easily when you take a bite, but the stalks of the greens don't and come out whole along with the rest of the bite, causing the rest of the sandwich to collapse. Am I just using the wrong kind of green? Should I be using something crunchier/that breaks more easily? Or is this expected?

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Greens can be stringy in general, you could cut it in to bite size pieces to avoid that.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Fauxyan "Roux Free" Curry Rice

This curry recipe is based on Moyan's, an intense and dark curry that prides itself on taking weeks to come together. I don't have weeks, but I do have a pressure cooker and a weekend afternoon. For precision reasons using my kitchen scale, I'll be using metric units but I want y'all to know I'm an Imperial lovin' Yank.

*Approaching this in multiple parts like ramen allows you to create basic compounds that can be combined together quickly and freeze well. I removed a whole pickle jar of the gravy from my freezer after a month and it's still just as good.

*A base gravy made from concentrated fruits and vegetables combined with a gelatin rich stock creates a thick reduction without the need for roux or thickeners.

*A pressure cooker cuts down the time immensely and reserves the liquids while inducing browning. If you don't have a pressure cooker then quadruple the times listed and cook on medium-low in a heavy lidded pot like a dutch oven.

*You'll need an immersion blender to puree everything.

Spice Mixture
The spice mixture is based on S&B but leans heavier on the more pungent ingredients. Cumin, pepper, chili, and fennel are the top ingredients resulting in a spicier, more bitter mixture that I find is offset by the sweet and caramelized flavor of the base gravy. I give precise measurements here but I always eyeball it.

10g whole black peper
8g cumin seeds
8g chili powder (Indian red chili for spicy, Ancho for mild)
7g fennel seeds
5g ginger powder
4 whole cloves
5g turmeric powder
2 green cardamom pods with seeds
5g dried orange peel
5g coriander seeds
4g fenugreek seeds
1 half star anise
3g thyme
2 bay leaves
about 1/4 of a cinnamon stick
about 1/4 of a single nutmeg seed
a sprinkling of sage

Combine all ingredients in a spice grinder and store in an airtight container. You can cook in a dry pan if you want but I keep this stuff lasts me a couple months so it doesn't make a difference in the long run.

Stock
Moyan's curry lists chicken and pork stock as an ingredient. This gelatin heavy stock will stick to the roof of your mouth.

4 liters of water
1 knob of ginger
500 grams of chicken feet
500 grams of pork neck bones and/or feet

Cover chicken and pork with water and boil for 5 minutes.

While waiting, slice ginger in half lengthwise. Place under a broiler, skin side down, until the ginger chars. About 10 minutes.

Dump water and rinse pot and meat. You don't have to clean thoroughly, just remove scum.

Return to pot and top with 4 liters of water. Add ginger. Bring to high pressure and cook for 60 minutes.

Let pressure release naturally. Strain liquid.

Base Gravy
1,000g yellow onions
2 fuji apples, cored and peeled
1 ripe banana, peeled and sliced in half lengthwise
1 beefsteak tomato, cut in half and cored
1 large carrot, cut in half
2 stalks of celery, cut in half
4 cloves of garlic, smashed with flat of blade
baking soda

Roughly chop onions. Add onions to pressure cooker, sprinkle with baking soda (no more than 4-8 grams/1-2 teaspoons), and stir.

Saute onions on medium-high heat (saute button on Instant Pot) until fully submerged in their own liquid and begin to turn deep yellow, about 5 minutes.

Cook at high pressure for 20 minutes.

While waiting, place the other ingredients under a broiler. Broil until the tomato's skin blisters. Peel skin off tomato and continue to broil the ingredients, flipping the banana and apple. The carrots, celery, and apples should have some light charring around the sharp edges while the banana should be a rich brown all over.

Let the pressure on the onions release naturally. The onions should be a deep brown and soupy. Add the other ingredients and cook at high pressure for another 20 minutes. Release the pressure naturally.

Using an immersion blender, puree all the ingredients into a thick puree.

Combining
These three compounds can be combined into various curries but all begin basically the same: fry the dry spices in butter or ghee, combine one part gravy to four parts stock (so 1/4 cup gravy to 1 cup stock), add main ingredients and cook until reduced. I find the curry will be done when the rice is. At this point you'll add umami enhancing ingredients to taste like yeast extract, fish sauce, dashi, and katsuobushi. At this point the curry will have reduced to a thick paste. You'll know it's done when you can scrape a spoon across the pan and see the bottom without the liquid filling in. I've never had to add roux or thickener.

Two of my favorite recipes:

"This is Basically Beef Stew You Can Spoon Over Rice" Curry
For this recipe I cook the stock with cubed chuck at high pressure for 30 minutes resulting in tender, fall apart meat.

In a frying pan I melt ghee and bloom the spice mixture. Fry carrots, potatoes, and mushrooms in the buttery spice mixture for 5 minutes. Combine one part of gravy to four parts stock. Simmer covered until potatoes are fork tender. Continue simmering uncovered while adding frozen peas and pearl onions and some meat from the pot. Season with a small bit of vegemite, bonito flakes, and salt to taste. Serve with rice and shredded cabbage.

"There's Kale So I'm Totally Eating Healthy!" Curry without Rice
In a cast iron brown chicken thighs skin side down. In a frying pan melt ghee and bloom the spice mixture. Fry mushrooms and chopped kale in the buttery spice mixture for 5 minutes. Combine one part of gravy to four parts stock. Add browned chicken pieces and simmer covered until chicken is fully cooked. Continue to simmer uncovered, stirring to combine chicken juices. Season with Bull-Dog tonkatsu sauce, fish sauce, MSG, and mango chutney. Serve over riced cauliflower.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Oct 17, 2018

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

al-azad posted:

Fauxyan "Roux Free" Curry Rice

This curry recipe is based on Moyan's, an intense and dark curry that prides itself on taking weeks to come together. I don't have weeks, but I do have a pressure cooker and a weekend afternoon. For precision reasons using my kitchen scale, I'll be using metric units but I want y'all to know I'm an Imperial lovin' Yank.

*Approaching this in multiple parts like ramen allows you to create basic compounds that can be combined together quickly and freeze well. I removed a whole pickle jar of the gravy from my freezer after a month and it's still just as good.

*A base gravy made from concentrated fruits and vegetables combined with a gelatin rich stock creates a thick reduction without the need for roux or thickeners.

*A pressure cooker cuts down the time immensely and reserves the liquids while inducing browning. If you don't have a pressure cooker then quadruple the times listed and cook on medium-low in a heavy lidded pot like a dutch oven.

*You'll need an immersion blender to puree everything.

Spice Mixture
The spice mixture is based on S&B but leans heavier on the more pungent ingredients. Cumin, pepper, chili, and fennel are the top ingredients resulting in a spicier, more bitter mixture that I find is offset by the sweet and caramelized flavor of the base gravy. I give precise measurements here but I always eyeball it.

10g whole black peper
8g cumin seeds
8g chili powder (Indian red chili for spicy, Ancho for mild)
7g fennel seeds
5g ginger powder
4 whole cloves
5g turmeric powder
2 green cardamom pods with seeds
5g dried orange peel
5g coriander seeds
4g fenugreek seeds
1 half star anise
3g thyme
2 bay leaves
about 1/4 of a cinnamon stick
about 1/4 of a single nutmeg seed
a sprinkling of sage

Combine all ingredients in a spice grinder and store in an airtight container. You can cook in a dry pan if you want but I keep this stuff lasts me a couple months so it doesn't make a difference in the long run.

Stock
Moyan's curry lists chicken and pork stock as an ingredient. This gelatin heavy stock will stick to the roof of your mouth.

4 liters of water
1 knob of ginger
500 grams of chicken feet
500 grams of pork neck bones and/or feet

Cover chicken and pork with water and boil for 5 minutes.

While waiting, slice ginger in half lengthwise. Place under a broiler, skin side down, until the ginger chars. About 10 minutes.

Dump water and rinse pot and meat. You don't have to clean thoroughly, just remove scum.

Return to pot and top with 4 liters of water. Add ginger. Bring to high pressure and cook for 60 minutes.

Let pressure release naturally. Strain liquid.

Base Gravy
1,000g yellow onions
2 fuji apples, cored and peeled
1 ripe banana, peeled and sliced in half lengthwise
1 beefsteak tomato, cut in half and cored
1 large carrot, cut in half
2 stalks of celery, cut in half
4 cloves of garlic, smashed with flat of blade
baking soda

Roughly chop onions. Add onions to pressure cooker, sprinkle with baking soda (no more than 4-8 grams/1-2 teaspoons), and stir.

Saute onions on medium-high heat (saute button on Instant Pot) until fully submerged in their own liquid and begin to turn deep yellow, about 5 minutes.

Cook at high pressure for 20 minutes.

While waiting, place the other ingredients under a broiler. Broil until the tomato's skin blisters. Peel skin off tomato and continue to broil the ingredients, flipping the banana and apple. The carrots, celery, and apples should have some light charring around the sharp edges while the banana should be a rich brown all over.

Let the pressure on the onions release naturally. The onions should be a deep brown and soupy. Add the other ingredients and cook at high pressure for another 20 minutes. Release the pressure naturally.

Using an immersion blender, puree all the ingredients into a thick puree.

Combining
These three compounds can be combined into various curries but all begin basically the same: fry the dry spices in butter or ghee, combine one part gravy to four parts stock (so 1/4 cup gravy to 1 cup stock), add main ingredients and cook until reduced. I find the curry will be done when the rice is. At this point you'll add umami enhancing ingredients to taste like yeast extract, fish sauce, dashi, and katsuibushi. At this point the curry will have reduced to a thick paste. You'll know it's done when you can scrape a spoon across the pan and see the bottom without the liquid filling in. I've never had to add roux or thickener.

Two of my favorite recipes:

"This is Basically Beef Stew You Can Spoon Over Rice" Curry
For this recipe I cook the stock with cubed chuck at high pressure for 30 minutes resulting in tender, fall apart meat.

In a frying pan I melt ghee and bloom the spice mixture. Fry carrots, potatoes, and mushrooms in the buttery spice mixture for 5 minutes. Combine one part of gravy to four parts stock. Simmer covered until potatoes are fork tender. Continue simmering uncovered while adding frozen peas and pearl onions and some meat from the pot. Season with a small bit of vegemite, bonito flakes, and salt to taste. Serve with rice and shredded cabbage.

"There's Kale So I'm Totally Eating Healthy!" Curry without Rice
In a cast iron brown chicken thighs skin side down. In a frying pan melt ghee and bloom the spice mixture. Fry mushrooms and chopped kale in the buttery spice mixture for 5 minutes. Combine one part of gravy to four parts stock. Add browned chicken pieces and simmer covered until chicken is fully cooked. Continue to simmer uncovered, stirring to combine chicken juices. Season with Bull-Dog tonkatsu sauce, fish sauce, MSG, and mango chutney. Serve over riced cauliflower.

:discourse:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
:getin: Awesome writeup! Imma make that this weekend and report back.

edit: Would you mind if I shared this recipe with other people?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

:getin: Awesome writeup! Imma make that this weekend and report back.

edit: Would you mind if I shared this recipe with other people?

Please do. I'm still tweaking some things, like once mango is back in season I want to try something citrusy.

Also I didn't know that fenugreek was the flavoring for cheap syrup and now I can't not think of waffles when smelling my can of S&B so... eggo curry??

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

One clarification, the components for the recipes here meant to be 1:1:1, right? That is, if I made 4 liters of the stock, I'd be expected to be able to combine it with the 1kg onions worth of gravy and the whole container of spice mix and get the intended curry?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

One clarification, the components for the recipes here meant to be 1:1:1, right? That is, if I made 4 liters of the stock, I'd be expected to be able to combine it with the 1kg onions worth of gravy and the whole container of spice mix and get the intended curry?

No. The stock, gravy, and spice mixture are stored separately and you combine them later when you prepare the curry. It's meant to be customizable with the three core ingredients serving as a base.

My general approach is a 1:4 ratio of gravy to stock which for one serving would be 1/4 cup gravy to 1 cup stock. I eyeball the spice mix but a healthy 5-finger-pinch fried in a dollop of butter is enough.

I probably wouldn't make more than a couple servings at once but I don't see why it wouldn't work. If you make it in a deep pot you would need to adjust the uncovered simmer time because the narrower surface area would take longer to reduce than if you finished it in a shallow pan.

e: If you were making a huge pot of this at once you probably would have to make a simple roux as a thickener although I would like to suggest trying coconut flour. I find coconut flour results in a silkier, more subtle texture.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 17, 2018

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I generally prefer to make huge batches that I can portion and freeze and then reheat a single serving after coming home from work, which is why I wanted to get it all together. Thanks for the clarification though, I'll fiddle with it on my own.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

I generally prefer to make huge batches that I can portion and freeze and then reheat a single serving after coming home from work, which is why I wanted to get it all together. Thanks for the clarification though, I'll fiddle with it on my own.

Let me know how it turns out. The proportions work on a small scale and I don't see why they wouldn't work on a larger scale as long as you keep in mind the longer uncovered simmer time needed.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I ordered a ton of curry roux from Tokyo Central and they're taking longer than I had hoped to ship my order. Can anyone recommend some good sites to order from for people in the US? I've ordered 5 packs of the big Golden Curry boxes from Amazon before but I'm trying to get some more variety and some more unusual curry roux, as far as the US market goes.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

al-azad posted:

Let me know how it turns out. The proportions work on a small scale and I don't see why they wouldn't work on a larger scale as long as you keep in mind the longer uncovered simmer time needed.

First try was something like 60% of the spice mix bloomed in 8tbsp butter with ~2.5 cups gravy, ~9 cups stock, with some beef chuck, about 12 servings by my reckoning. I had to fish out the beef and let it go at a roiling boil for over two hours to get it viscous enough to look like yours, even with a healthy ~1/4 cup of coconut oil slurry. I can only give it a tiny taste before bed and I'll post more about it after I get a proper meal with it tomorrow, but for now it's... hmm. All I can say about it is that it's smooth and, uhh, complex. I think I'll give it a try with cooking a single serving some time soon and see if it's noticeably different.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

First try was something like 60% of the spice mix bloomed in 8tbsp butter with ~2.5 cups gravy, ~9 cups stock, with some beef chuck, about 12 servings by my reckoning. I had to fish out the beef and let it go at a roiling boil for over two hours to get it viscous enough to look like yours, even with a healthy ~1/4 cup of coconut oil slurry. I can only give it a tiny taste before bed and I'll post more about it after I get a proper meal with it tomorrow, but for now it's... hmm. All I can say about it is that it's smooth and, uhh, complex. I think I'll give it a try with cooking a single serving some time soon and see if it's noticeably different.

I hope you mean coconut flour and not oil! What umami ingredients do you plan on using? Yeast extract and sea salt are a must IMO but for beef I would also consider something naturally salty like Worcestershire, maggi sauce, or anchovy paste.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I can't get decent Asian vegetables anymore without an annoyingly long drive, all my local stores are Chinese run and sell garbage. I found a source of seeds to grow my own but am trying to find out what species of bamboo is grown for shoots in Japan. I imagine there's more than one, any of them will work.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Grand Fromage posted:

I can't get decent Asian vegetables anymore without an annoyingly long drive, all my local stores are Chinese run and sell garbage. I found a source of seeds to grow my own but am trying to find out what species of bamboo is grown for shoots in Japan. I imagine there's more than one, any of them will work.

I looked up "bamboo shoots" on Wikipedia and they had a list of edible/harvested species.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Tokyo Central is three days late on my order and they haven't canceled it (or responded to me in any way, at all). If y'all are shopping online for ingredients I would maybe stay away from them.
E: they finally got back to me and said it was taking longer than usual to process orders because of a promotion, and didn't address my request to cancel my order at all.
E2: after a more forward email they cancelled my order

im on the net me boys fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 27, 2018

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

al-azad posted:

Thanks for the detailed recipe and instructions list; I made the components over the weekend and am looking to try it out this week. Quick question on combining, do you cook the beef chuck with the stock + gravy in the pressure cooker? After this is done, should I combine the chuck/stock (and gravy?) in the spice & vegetable pan or on the finished dish?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Furious Lobster posted:

Thanks for the detailed recipe and instructions list; I made the components over the weekend and am looking to try it out this week. Quick question on combining, do you cook the beef chuck with the stock + gravy in the pressure cooker? After this is done, should I combine the chuck/stock (and gravy?) in the spice & vegetable pan or on the finished dish?

I cooked the chuck separately in the pressure cooker as by this point the stock and gravy were finished a week ago and were thawing in the sink. My process is, in a single pan

Bloom spices in butter
Fry long cooking ingredients (potatoes, mushrooms, carrots) to get a little color
Combine gravy + stock, simmer until vegetables are fork tender and curry is thick
Add umami and beef

A single serving results in the right consistency. I'll have to experiment with doing an entire pot at once.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

al-azad posted:

I hope you mean coconut flour and not oil! What umami ingredients do you plan on using? Yeast extract and sea salt are a must IMO but for beef I would also consider something naturally salty like Worcestershire, maggi sauce, or anchovy paste.

Whoops, yes, coconut flour.

I normally only use fish sauce for all my ~umami needs~ but I guess I could try yeast extract next time.

I do like the flavor but I also thought it was really understated compared to normal from-a-box curry. Flavor profile reminded me way more of Indian curry instead of Japanese. Maybe it felt subtle because I used too little spice? I dunno, I eyeballed it (see pic for how much I used) but with the flavor I kinda fear that it would become bitter if I added too much more. It was already on the verge of having a bitter aftertaste.

My problem right now is that I have a pretty strict calorie limit in place so the portions I can eat are pretty small. Maybe I had too much rice for the amount of curry I used. I have a ton of portions still remaining so I'll experiment more with it and hopefully have better results.

Also included is the tiny serving I tried after it was all done. Cute!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I've gotten to the point of adding marmite to virtually every sauce/gravy type thing like Japanese curry or tomato sauce or whatever, it's great.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

I do like the flavor but I also thought it was really understated compared to normal from-a-box curry. Flavor profile reminded me way more of Indian curry instead of Japanese.

This was the intent going into it. I scoured some Japanese blogs on the super dark curries like Moyan and the kind of stuff enjoyed in Niigata (I've been told if I'm in Niigata to immediately find Lerch's curry, best boxed stuff) and they all use very Indian take out techniques and spices. But also this was a personal experiment in how I could eat Japanese curry on a low(er) carb diet and that meant foregoing a roux for something that could thicken up naturally so I'm right there with you on trying to look for healthier alternatives.

If you use S&B curry powder you'll find something more like the boxed stuff but tbh I can't get the taste of pancake syrup out of my mouth now that I know fenugreek is a key component in the stuff.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
My wife likes sake, and I was hoping to get us a nice bottle and maybe a drink set for our anniversary in a few weeks. I'm looking for something in the $60-100 range. Any recommendations? She likes both hot and cold sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Nanigans posted:

My wife likes sake, and I was hoping to get us a nice bottle and maybe a drink set for our anniversary in a few weeks. I'm looking for something in the $60-100 range. Any recommendations? She likes both hot and cold sake.

Depends where you are. Maybe check k&l: https://m.klwines.com/Products?&fil...searchText=sake

Otherwise I think Hakkaisan(八海山) is pretty generally available and it's decent stuff.