Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I purchased some pre sliced kabocha the other day and I plan on putting it in curry. Do I have to handle it in any special way or can I use it like any squash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Nothing special just put it in when you put the carrot etc.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You don't have to peel it either, it's all edible.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Thank you both :)

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Grand Fromage posted:

You don't have to peel it either, it's all edible.

True, but there's a long way between edible and tastes good. Until you're a bit more experienced with kabocha I'd suggest peeling it, the skin can get funky really easy and mess up the texture of most dishes.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Because it would be unwise to have a big meal with family this year, my girlfriend and I decided to do something non-traditional for Thanksgiving: Chanko Nabe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1bKrrdBGTM

crystalgemini
Nov 8, 2020
Been doing a lot of social distancing picnics the last few months so I've been trying my hand at bento boxes.

crystalgemini fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Nov 27, 2020

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

They look nice

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

You should send pictures to the NHK World program “Bento Expo”

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Animal-Mother posted:

Because it would be unwise to have a big meal with family this year, my girlfriend and I decided to do something non-traditional for Thanksgiving: Chanko Nabe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1bKrrdBGTM

How'd it go? That sounds like a fun idea for Thanksgiving. We did sukiyaki for last new years eve and had a great time.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I overcooked the veggies but it tasted good (extra sake) and it was definitely filling.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
For dinner today!

(from CA)

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Lucky, how did you prepare them? I'm really jealous because I can't have raw shellfish right now but uni is one of my favorite things ever.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
You can use shearing scissors to cut through the face of an urchin, which is actually super soft. then you use a spoon to scoop out the uni and wash it in salt water.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Urchin Face is a great name for a band.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

ntan1 posted:

You can use shearing scissors to cut through the face of an urchin, which is actually super soft. then you use a spoon to scoop out the uni and wash it in salt water.

Yeah more or less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6DMCHfQ8Fw&t=130s

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

For so many shellfish it seems the solution is cutting their face off with scissors

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
You can go through the top too. Really depends on how you're serving it.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i bought about 5lbs of lentils 2 years ago, only to find that i kind of hate how lentils taste. today i finally figured out that using a base of sauteed ginger, garlic, and thai chilies, plus dashi and red miso to simmer the lentils result in something reasonably flavorful instead of a pot of utterly boring starch. this is the first time i've used miso in a non-japanese recipe, and i'm wondering if anyone has random applications of miso to non-traditional ingredients that they enjoy using?

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I don't know if this totally counts but it's not a traditional recipe and it is extremely delicious: Sweet potato with miso butter.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
thanks, looks neat!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Anyone here in Japan able to get the new barrel aged kit kats? Don't know what you'd want in return but I propose a trade (im in California)

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Alan Smithee posted:

Anyone here in Japan able to get the new barrel aged kit kats? Don't know what you'd want in return but I propose a trade (im in California)

What does that mean? Whiskey flavor? Sounds great, and I don't even like whiskey.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i bought about 5lbs of lentils 2 years ago, only to find that i kind of hate how lentils taste. today i finally figured out that using a base of sauteed ginger, garlic, and thai chilies, plus dashi and red miso to simmer the lentils result in something reasonably flavorful instead of a pot of utterly boring starch. this is the first time i've used miso in a non-japanese recipe, and i'm wondering if anyone has random applications of miso to non-traditional ingredients that they enjoy using?

I’ve done a miso/tahini dressing before and it’s nice. I’ve used it as a dressing for slaw. Basically just thin some miso with water, add tahini, aromatics (ginger and/or garlic, but I’ve mostly done it without), and some acid to taste. Then thin it out with water to taste.

Tahini is a pretty common sauce for falafel, so it’s basically tahini sauce with some miso.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

What does that mean? Whiskey flavor? Sounds great, and I don't even like whiskey.

https://www.foodandwine.com/news/japan-kit-kat-aged-whiskey-barrels

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Miso and tomato are a good combo. Toss some in with a pasta sauce or make a miso-tomato broth for a soup.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

I’m going to make hayashi rice tonight :)

Everyones Favorite Poster
Dec 6, 2017

:toot:
Made the pressure cooker Kakuni recipe off Justonecookbook tonight. Not sure if I'm the biggest pork belly fan (so much fat!) but it was pretty darn good otherwise! Definitely enjoying my adventures in Japanese cooking, gonna move on to some beef recipes next.

Related note: shichimi togarashi is awesome and seriously makes every dish just that much better.

Everyones Favorite Poster fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 10, 2020

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Miso and butter is a fantastic combination for non-japanese dishes.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Pork belly has to be cooked just right to make it really good. The trick is to get a lot of the fat rendered down so it makes the meat really tender and also to get the skin crisped into great crackling.
It’s one of those things where practice makes perfect and I’ve always found stir fried or simmered pork belly way too fatty personally.

Everyones Favorite Poster
Dec 6, 2017

:toot:

Helith posted:

Pork belly has to be cooked just right to make it really good. The trick is to get a lot of the fat rendered down so it makes the meat really tender and also to get the skin crisped into great crackling.
It’s one of those things where practice makes perfect and I’ve always found stir fried or simmered pork belly way too fatty personally.

Noted! How do you like to prepare it usually and any tips for rendering the fat down more? Would sauteing it for a little longer prior to pressure cooking maybe help out or is it a pretty lengthy process no matter what?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

It’s generally roasted in an oven for a few hours and it might take a few tries to perfect. Scoring the skin is essential.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No idea what the Japanese process is but generally hot pan plus fat side down is the plan

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
That photograph looks correct. Pork belly isn't sold skin-on in Japan, and the cooking method is just a standard braise. If you want something less fatty, pork spareribs work really well in the dish and don't have the thick fat layers belly does.

Ah, something else is kakuni is frequently made with pork and thick slices of daikon radish. The radish really helps to balance out the fat levels and give the dish a more varied feel.

Like so:

Stringent fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 10, 2020

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

How do they not just keep the skin on? The contrast between the meat the fat and the crispy skin is the whole point of pork belly!

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

So I just made hayashi rice for the first time... this is so simple but it’s pretty loving good

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Gaius Marius posted:

How do they not just keep the skin on? The contrast between the meat the fat and the crispy skin is the whole point of pork belly!

Braised it's not crispy though.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

May I ask? Is it any good? The idea of non crispy pork belly is bringing up memories of a Burrito joint I visited that carried pork belly but sure didn't know how to cook it. I feel bad about spitting it out, but it was truly awful.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I like it quite a bit personally, especially with radish like posted above but I can understand some people not liking the texture or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

hallo spacedog posted:

I like it quite a bit personally, especially with radish like posted above but I can understand some people not liking the texture or something.

Good man, I'll post if I can get to the butcher and make it, I feel like I'm falling in a rut where all I make is Shoyu chicken, Tofu, and Salmon. I gotta spice it up somehow.