Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

It's not hanami unless you've got more alcohol than food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

RedTonic posted:

I'm glad you like it! :blush: I found CwD via another goon's post (not sure whose, when, or what thread!) and love it.

You might like humblebeanblog.com as well. It's infrequently updated these days, but most of the Japanese recipes are manageable ingredient-wise and rarely involve truly gargantuan portions. I often feel like other websites are aiming recipes at people with either large families or frequent dinner parties, neither of which describes this DINK-rear end household...

Dashi stuff isn't too hard to source if you can find a Korean or Japanese market in your area or if you have something like a Whole Foods/Trader Joe's. In the former set of options, you should be able to get niboshi (dried sardines) and/or bonito flakes (shaved dehydrated skipjack tuna). In both sets of options, you should be able to find dehydrated kelp (konbu/kombu in Japanese, dashima in Korean). Some Chinese markets might carry the kelp labeled as 海带 or 'haidai'. If you can get the kelp, that's really all you need imo. You can use water from rehydrating dried shiitake mushrooms in addition or solo as a savory, vegan-friendly replacement, too.

Thanks for the link! I tried making Ginger Beef tonight, and it doesn't quite look the same. I got thin sliced beef from the grocery store, but it's way thicker and tougher than it looks in the picture. (EDIT: now that I'm actually eating it, it's not as tough as it looked, but definitely thicker) In the pic, it looks like it's practically shavings, while mine's more like fajita thickness. How did it get that thin? Do you just ask the butcher to cut it reaaaaaaally thin?

I may have screwed it up a little, but the rest was pretty easy... I definitely like the sauce. I don't normally like ginger, but in this case it tastes pretty good! I think I just need to get the meat part down and figure out how to work scallions or onions into it. Learning how to make gyuudon would be loving awesome, too.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

hallo spacedog posted:

Haha -- my friend (the one planning the okonomiyaki)'s response when I mentioned bringing thermoses of sake, was "what? No. We need a cooler box full of sake."

The picnic site (and my place) are right by the biggest liquor store in the province, so the sake will flow.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
What's the difference between Nabe and Shabu Shabu?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Most nabe I have eaten had quite rich stocks that leaned towards the sweet. The times I've had shabu-shabu the stock was lighter, clearer and not as sweetened. Nabe seem to be more substantial as well, with lost of filling foods like potatoes, konnyaku and the like.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

For me, the problem with Japanese food is that I have no idea where to get specific ingredients. I'm sure that there are a few Japanese food stores in NYC, but it's a matter of knowing where they are. Once I do know, however, I'll be ready to go shopping.

RedTonic posted:

Cooking With Dog
This Youtube channel is why I'm interested in making Japanese food. I wish the non-metric measurements were in cups instead of ounces, but that's only a little bit more work to do on my part.

I wonder how much time the chef spent training Francis to sit still while she prepares the food. That definitely couldn't have been easy.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Nabe is a superset of all those hot pot dishes. Shabushabu, sukiyaki, chanko, etc. are subsets.

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~

Y-Hat posted:

For me, the problem with Japanese food is that I have no idea where to get specific ingredients. I'm sure that there are a few Japanese food stores in NYC, but it's a matter of knowing where they are. Once I do know, however, I'll be ready to go shopping.

There are a few! I don't think they're as plenty as the H-Marts but seriously a quick Google would yield ample results... Sunrise Mart in particular is good, and there are a few of those, but my favorite is at (I think) Grand and Wooster in Manhattan. You can also catch an NJT bus between Port Authority and Mitsuwa in Edgewater. Mitsuwa is great.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

If i don't have sake around (or at least cheaper sake i don't mind cooking with), what can i sub for yakitori sauce?

I've got the following recipes which at least give me the basic profile: Can i just use mirin and skip the sake? Use some chinese cooking rice wine? Or is the sake a fundamental part of the sauce?

From a link in this thread: there were 3 versions:

YAKITORI TARE 1
-Soy sauce: 130 cc/ml
-Japanese sake: 100 cc/ml
-Sweet Japanese sake/mirin: 100 cc/ml
-Mizuame: 50 g (if unavailable, use corn syrup) (or honey)
-Sugar: 30 g
-Garlic: 1 clove (chopped)
-Fresh ginger: 5x5cm piece (Thinly sliced)

YAKITORI TARE 2
INGREDIENTS:

-Soy sauce: 50~60 cc/ml
-Sweet Japanese sake/mirin: 50 cc/ml
-Japanese sake: 50 cc/ml
-Sugar: 1 tablespoon

YAKITORI TARE 3
INGREDIENTS:

-Japanese sake: 1 tablespoon
-Japanese sweet sake/mirin: 1 tablespoon
-White wine: 2 tablespoons
-Light soy sauce: 7 tablespoons
-Thick soy sauce (tamari shoyu): 1/2 teaspoon
-Brown sugar: 7 tablespoons
-Black pepper: as appropriate
-Garlic: 3g (grated)

Cooking with dog:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

toplitzin posted:

If i don't have sake around (or at least cheaper sake i don't mind cooking with), what can i sub for yakitori sauce?

I've got the following recipes which at least give me the basic profile: Can i just use mirin and skip the sake? Use some chinese cooking rice wine? Or is the sake a fundamental part of the sauce?

From a link in this thread: there were 3 versions:

YAKITORI TARE 1
-Soy sauce: 130 cc/ml
-Japanese sake: 100 cc/ml
-Sweet Japanese sake/mirin: 100 cc/ml
-Mizuame: 50 g (if unavailable, use corn syrup) (or honey)
-Sugar: 30 g
-Garlic: 1 clove (chopped)
-Fresh ginger: 5x5cm piece (Thinly sliced)

YAKITORI TARE 2
INGREDIENTS:

-Soy sauce: 50~60 cc/ml
-Sweet Japanese sake/mirin: 50 cc/ml
-Japanese sake: 50 cc/ml
-Sugar: 1 tablespoon

YAKITORI TARE 3
INGREDIENTS:

-Japanese sake: 1 tablespoon
-Japanese sweet sake/mirin: 1 tablespoon
-White wine: 2 tablespoons
-Light soy sauce: 7 tablespoons
-Thick soy sauce (tamari shoyu): 1/2 teaspoon
-Brown sugar: 7 tablespoons
-Black pepper: as appropriate
-Garlic: 3g (grated)

Cooking with dog:

You can use Chinese cooking wine, I actually prefer it on meat dishes.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Stringent posted:

You can use Chinese cooking wine, I actually prefer it on meat dishes.

I assume white over shaoxing? I ask because I realized i have both.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

toplitzin posted:

I assume white over shaoxing? I ask because I realized i have both.

I've only used shaoxing, never seen white before.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

Thanks for the link! I tried making Ginger Beef tonight, and it doesn't quite look the same. I got thin sliced beef from the grocery store, but it's way thicker and tougher than it looks in the picture. (EDIT: now that I'm actually eating it, it's not as tough as it looked, but definitely thicker) In the pic, it looks like it's practically shavings, while mine's more like fajita thickness. How did it get that thin? Do you just ask the butcher to cut it reaaaaaaally thin?

So there are a few things you can do: keep having the meat a bit thicker, which is easy; buy uncut meat and get it about half frozen, then shave it yourself; ask your butcher to slice a cut for you to about sliced bacon thinness; or go to a local Asian market of whatever stripe, where you're likely to find thinly sliced meats in the freezer section if they don't have a butcher counter. I've done all of these, they'll all do for most dishes. Shabu-shabu is honestly one of the few where the meat's thickness is really important.

Otherwise, I think the way the meat is sliced really has more to do with the cost of meat in Japan, especially beef. Thin-sliced beef increases surface area, so it both looks and feels as though you have more meat than you really do. That's more satisfying to the appetite but gentler on the wallet.

d3rt posted:

What's the difference between Nabe and Shabu Shabu?

To add a little more detail, shabu-shabu is a type of hot pot where you swish thinly sliced cuts of meat in the hot broth. The name refers to that sound. Other hotpots usually involve a longer simmer period instead.

Y-Hat posted:

This Youtube channel is why I'm interested in making Japanese food. I wish the non-metric measurements were in cups instead of ounces, but that's only a little bit more work to do on my part.

For US cup measures, there's 8 oz to a cup, and 16 Tbsp to a cup. Each Tbsp is 1/2 oz. I keep a scale, graduated measuring glass, and a graduated shot glass around because everyone likes different measurements... But hopefully this helps you out. Different nations' cup measurements don't match, so it's a bit more precise for her to indicate quantities by oz.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Stringent posted:

I've only used shaoxing, never seen white before.

Now you see it :)

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Stringent posted:

Nabe is a superset of all those hot pot dishes. Shabushabu, sukiyaki, chanko, etc. are subsets.

Got it. There are Shabu joints are all over the bay area, and I love it so much, but I saw someone post about trying Nabe in Honolulu and was curious.

RedTonic posted:

To add a little more detail, shabu-shabu is a type of hot pot where you swish thinly sliced cuts of meat in the hot broth. The name refers to that sound.

onomatopoeia :eng101:

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

hallo spacedog posted:

Drunkposting from hanami.

Tons of authentic Japanese food. Sake, umeshi, some green tea ale someone brewed, and for comedy value the guy who brought McDonald's.

E: and my minion (the masters students I supervise insist I call them that) brought a Japanese friend who made onigiri and inarizushi. And then I got everyone to come back to my place and drunkenly wash all the dishes I brought, while I also washed people's picnic blankets. I now have cherry blossoms in my sink and cherry blossoms in my washing machine. All in all a good day!

E2 for content:

The stuff I made. First time making chicken karaage, but it came out really well. The onigiri is pink, though it's hard to see in the light.

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Apr 20, 2015

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

Y-Hat posted:

There's three Sunrise Marts in Manhattan. One in SoHo, one by Astor Place, and one by Grand Central Terminal. You can also find a lot of ingredients for Japanese food at Korean and Chinese groceries, like H-Mart in K-Town, M2M in the East Village, Hong Kong Supermarket and New York Mart in Chinatown. I'm not too sure about the other boroughs though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Anybody got a good yakisoba sauce recipe? I don't like it sweet. I've never made it before but I assume it's just fry things until cooked and the only real thing to know is the sauce.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I'd like to know as well. All my searches before turned out pretty fruitless. Seems like everybody just buys bulldog.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Thoht posted:

I'd like to know as well. All my searches before turned out pretty fruitless. Seems like everybody just buys bulldog.

Basically this. We did spend a few months once trying to replicate bulldog sauce and it was entirely fruitless.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I was able to find some online. So yakisoba is basically:

Boil noodles until almost cooked.
Fry pork and vegetables in a normal frying of pork and vegetables way.
Add the noodles.
Bulldog sauce until it tastes like you want it.

Anything else to know?

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Grand Fromage posted:

Add the noodles.

Anything else to know?

Don't boil the noodles unless you're using some kind of really different noodles. Most yakisoba noodles cook in a small amount of water in the pan. But essentially that's it, top with plenty of benishouga, aonori and mayo for max authenticity.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Grand Fromage posted:

Add the noodles.

Anything else to know?

Benishoga

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

hallo spacedog posted:

Don't boil the noodles unless you're using some kind of really different noodles. Most yakisoba noodles cook in a small amount of water in the pan. But essentially that's it, top with plenty of benishouga, aonori and mayo for max authenticity.

I don't know if I can actually score yakisoba noodles here. I've seen soba, somen, and dried udon. I have access to various Chinese noodles though, if one's a good substitute.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't know if I can actually score yakisoba noodles here. I've seen soba, somen, and dried udon. I have access to various Chinese noodles though, if one's a good substitute.

Since yakisoba is basically japanised chow mein the yellow Chinese noodles are probably your best bet. Despite the name yakisoba doesn't use buckwheat noodles at all.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

toplitzin posted:

Now you see it :)

I have white wine that is labeled Shaoxing, I don't read Chinese and didn't realize that dark shaoxing was a thing too!

It's getting warm outside so I've been doing a lot of grilling. I love the cookbook "The Japanese Grill". Incredible photos and recipes. The gyu-dare recipe in it tastes great on chicken in addition to beef, with some nanami togarashi. You can make a big batch of marinade and have grilled meat whenever during the week.

What is Japanese parsley? Is curly parsley a reasonable substitute or is the flavor completely off?

Also does anyone have any good grill recipes? :)

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

ashgromnies posted:

What is Japanese parsley? Is curly parsley a reasonable substitute or is the flavor completely off?

Also does anyone have any good grill recipes? :)

Presumably it's Mitsuba. Curly parsley won't really be the same. You could try celery leaf or watercress as a substitute.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Bought a Shiso plant for 5bux at the farmer's market. It apparently has the potential to be terribly invasive in Florida (like just about every other plant from japan...) It's also terribly delicious. Gonna get a nice pot for it and try not to eat all of it.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Suspect Bucket posted:

Bought a Shiso plant for 5bux at the farmer's market. It apparently has the potential to be terribly invasive in Florida (like just about every other plant from japan...) It's also terribly delicious. Gonna get a nice pot for it and try not to eat all of it.

Yeah when I mentioned that I was growing shiso to a Japanese friend, her response was "What? But it's like a weed!" Apparently it's also a problem in Taiwan. I haven't had trouble with it self-propagating, but I'm in the Pacific Northwest. I guess it's more invasive in warmer climates?

Anyway, mine tended to put on a ton of seed heads towards the end of the season, so keep it in the pot and don't let those spread. It's a pretty vigorous plant even here, so you shouldn't have any shortage of it.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Shiso pesto.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Ooh, that could be interesting. Cut it a bit with some of the malabar spinach I have hanging around, make it with garlic and maybe some of the green peppers and chives I have growing. Because my basil keeps flowering and tasting like shiiit.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Not that I have any right providing insight when it comes to plants (because I kill anything green that comes into my possession) but aren't you supposed to pinch them as soon as it starts budding?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

kinmik posted:

Not that I have any right providing insight when it comes to plants (because I kill anything green that comes into my possession) but aren't you supposed to pinch them as soon as it starts budding?

Yeah, but they escape notice sometimes. We've been having a ton of rain, it's been mulched and weeded well, so some days I don't get out to the garden much because there's not much to do. I've also been crazy busy. But I do love my little Hugelkulture. I can see it from my bedroom window and there's 2 adorable sunflowers in there cheering me up through this miserable cold I'm having.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Is there a proper recipe for a pork belly rice bowl? I was planning to make something from Izakaya with the pork belly but the way things worked out I've got the pork and rice and wondering what I can salvage. I found this but like seeing multiple recipes for a dish: https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/156586-cubed-pork-belly-rice-bowl

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I didn't gently caress this up too bad:

Would make again.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
That looks great. Is that smoked bacon on top? How was it? It didn't overpower the other flavors did it?

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

gently caress yeah, okos are one of my favorite pig-out foods. Looks great!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

kinmik posted:

That looks great. Is that smoked bacon on top? How was it? It didn't overpower the other flavors did it?

Yeah, it's bacon up top. For the other two, I chopped up the bacon and mixed it into the batter. If anything, the dashi was a bit overpowering; however, it came out incredibly fluffy and delicious. It was my first time making it, and the second time I've had it. The first time I had it was in a hole in the wall place in Kyoto:

If I leaned back, I would lean against the sliding door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

If your okonomi restaurant doesn't look like a threadbare shack then you're in the wrong place IMO.