Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Suspect Bucket posted:

Whats a good entry level sake for cooking and occasional sipping?

I don't have a brand for you, but it might be worth mentioning that sake doesn't keep well once opened (like two or three days in the fridge)
I'm not very strict on that with the cooking part (as in, I don't really care and might keep it for a month), but you might want to do the
occasional sipping every time you open a bottle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
well, infections through eggs is not very likely anymore (we eat raw eggs, in mayo and half cooked eggs all the time)
and chicken seems to have way less chance of being salmonella infected as well due to more proper hygienic measures in the slaughtering process.

Still, I do not desire eating raw chicken, it might indeed be the whole thing being thaught it should be well baked, I dunno.
If it tastes like tuna, I'd rather eat tuna.

fun to learn about chicken sashimi being served in a restaurant though!

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Uh, chicken in a modern American industrial plant isn't exactly hygienic.

yeah, Dutch here, and it isn't exactly hygienic either, just more hygienic than it used to be,
still wouldn't feed it raw to my grandmother or my child if I had any of those, btw

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

EVG posted:

Looking at recipes for tonkatsu and seeing that it's generally served with shredded cabbage. All the pictures seem to show a green cabbage, but I have half a red one in my fridge. I very seldom eat cabbage and am not sure of it's purpose with this dish, so checking to see if red would be a fair substitution.

Is it really just thinly shredded cabbage? Or is there some sort of dressing normally served on it?

yes, it's just cabbage...not that you cannot dress it with something, but that's not the common thing to do
example:
http://japanese-kitchen.net/sliced-cabbage-for-katsu/
they mention the use of a mandolin, and yes, do so if you have one (and if you don't have one, it would be a great opportunity to buy one, as they are awesome for more than shredding cabbage)

Just use the red cabbage if you don't have another use for it, as it might not be a perfect, but it is a fair substitution....thin slicing will be even more important though.

(As a non-japanese person, I would use my red cabbage to create a light coleslaw with apple and stuff to go with my tonkatsu)

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
i don't think marinating chicken longer will do a lot, but

-salt and pepper your chicken before the "breading" part,
-put spices in the breading as per your recipe,
-salt and pepper afterwards.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Pollyanna posted:

I want to show off, so this is what a typical lunch looks like:

that's it, I need to get up earlier and make stuff like that!
Apart from the fact that I want to show of as well, there's the fact that I'm hungry and all

great ideas here, I'm going to try and get my lunches beyond the regular cheese sandwiches...

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Pollyanna posted:

Gonna start bringing a bento to work again, but I never actually developed a good repertoire of dishes to include. I’m used to making big dishes that I can do in advance like stews, curries, pulled pork, etc., but in my experience that doesn’t work too well with a typical 2-tier box. I don’t wanna stick to strictly Japanese dishes either, just anything that tastes good cold/room temp and I can make batches of.

Stuff that comes to mind includes:

- Potato salad
- Salad
- Pickles
- Tuna-mayo onigiri

...and I don’t really have any other ideas. What’s a good set of small bits of food that can be made in advance, keeps well, and can be made with ingredients commonly found in American supermarkets?

I’m also probably going to avoid rice or at least reducing the amount I eat, so there’s that concern as well.

I usually take a tiny bento-ish box to work (and two cheese sandwiched), and fill the box with a sliced apple (I slice it before work and it's still fine when it's time for lunch), some cherry tomatoes, some almonds and a medjool date.

Instead of rice, you could use couscous with chickpeas (make a salad out of those, with orange zest, scallions, raisins, sweet pepper, onions, whatever you like :-) )

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Pollyanna posted:

Potstickers and chicken thighs work, but my experience with sloppy stuff like chili and pasta sauce in bento is that it doesn’t...make a whole lot of sense? I’d expect that to be in jars or thermoses instead of a bento, which I associate more with drier foods.

Salad definitely works, sandwiches I’d wonder why not just bring a plastic baggie. Snacks sound good tho. Hrmmmm...

Ah...I do bring sandwiches in a plastic baggie...but for the snacks I use this tiny box: https://www.bol.com/nl/p/sistema-to-go-snack-0-4-l-blauw/9200000038617159/

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

FordCQC posted:

but they need to be relatively quick and easy.

Japanese curry with rice!...not spicy at all and quick to make if you use curry blocks like a lot of Japanese home cooks do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Grand Fromage posted:

Gimbap is good stuff. I've never seen the rice glazed with sesame oil in Korea though, I'm having trouble picturing how that's done. After the roll is complete the oil's brushed on top and often some sesame seeds are adhered to it with said oil.

I usually use sushi rice instead of the plain white Korea uses when I make it at home, so I guess technically I always am making weird futomaki instead of gimbap but whatever.

Actually, after reading more about gimbap as I recently started to make it, I also read about seasoning the rice with sesame oil and salt, in addition to brushing the outside of the roll with sesame oil and a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
For example: https://www.koreanbapsang.com/gimbapkimbap-korean-dried-seaweed-rolls/#wprm-recipe-container-6729
So I tried it and can definitely recommend it!