Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

Does anyone have experience with DIY sushi?

The FDA says to freeze fish at -4 Farenheit (-20 Celcius) for 7 days or flash freeze to -31 Farenheit (-40 Celcius) followed by storing it back at -4F for 24 hours.

And unfortunately, there's no other information about scaling for temperatures inbetween that range....

Because I recently bought a small medical grade freezer which advertises -4Far. However, some of the reviews have said they were able to go even lower like -20F.

So otherwise I'm going full mad scientist with a -97 Farenheit cooling bath of ethanol and dry ice. Wish me luck!

seance snacks fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

ntan1 posted:

If it's from the ocean (and not farmed), and immediately caught, you don't need to freeze it?

I dont know what the question is. Also the FDA's standards are different from Japan, and while some fish is always preserved/frozen, not all fish are.

Yeah it was poorly worded.

What I was ideally hoping to find was another country's version of FDA standards for safe freezing. Ideally one that is more of an incremental system like -5 for x time, then -10, then -15 and so forth.

This is because the FDA numbers are just -4 and -31, nothing in between, and the freezer I bought goes to -20. Also, I'm impatient.

I'm familiar with the fresh caught aspects and that traditional sushi chefs are trained as to what to look for regarding species' respective parasites. Neither of those are applicable to me though, hence DIY sushi.

What I'm really looking for is to be able to buy fish at Kroger or Costco, take it home, and make safe sushi.

Also I did end up doing the dry ice concoction. Not sure how cold it really got because it passed the thermometers minimum which is -60F. Froze to my floor, with a buffer, and it almost pulled a tile off. Made tuna nigiri for dinner after 2 hours in the bath. Going to make the salmon tonight. Will update thread if I get sick or start making GBS threads worms.

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Just buy saltwater fish that doesn't smell weird/is already frozen and eat it. You'll be fine. If you have an actual fish market around try them instead of Kroger. There should be at least one if you're in a city of any size, even well away from the coast.

I know this is 100% the correct way to go about it. And it has been my starting ground so far.

But part of my new hobby/experiment/obsession is to take my sushi further. Safely, ideally.

The forbidden fruit of freshwater catch must be tasted. But how?? This is my struggle.

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

That's why you need to find your local fish seller that supplies the restaurants, they move product quickly. I can get fish just as good and cheaper in Ohio than I ever could in Korea, when I lived like five kilometers from the ocean. An admittedly bizarre situation but :shrug:

Good call, I'll seek out the fishmonger this weekend.

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

And that's what's frustrating about this. When I google search "how cold to kill salmonella", the results only tell me that salmonella stops growing at 40 degrees farenheight.

There's no information out there about dunking it in a bath of dry ice at -80F for a few hours.

I'm about to say gently caress it, buy a microscope, and figure it out myself.

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

Arven posted:

I've been making sushi from salmon and tuna from Costco for a decade and am not dead yet. The trick I was told by the internet was that Costco is the only place that has the actual packing date on the label, so you pick out some fish that was packed that day and you'll be fine.

Nice, are you buying the salmon frozen or thawed? Similiarly I've heard costco is stupid fresh since it also wholesales to restaurants. Also that it's own huge purchasing power in the market helps with their fresh stock.

Also to salmonella turkey jizz guy, thank ya for the info. And yes I have been flash freezing to help preserve the texture. Based off that, I might look into some of the dishes that involve blanching or kitchen torches.

My understanding of salmonella is that it lives on the surface, as its a gut bacteria that is only present if there was cross contamination during the breakdown of the animal. And that's why a pan seared steak is good to go.

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Those look fantastic!

How do you flash freeze something? Dry ice? Liquid nitrogen? Hiking a very tall mountain?

I havent tried the liquid nitrogen route yet, but heres how I did it.

Go to home depot, buy a gallon of 99% ethanol. (you'll die if you drink it, they mix in a little methanol or w/e)

You can also use 91% isopropyl. Either way though, you can re-use the stuff just storr it in a sealed container cause it evaporates fast.

Then go to Kroger, buy a chunk of dry ice. I havent figured the exact ratio yet, but a $10 chunk was more than enough for 4 pounds of fish filets.

Get a tall metal cooking pot, pour in alcohol, drop in dry ice, wait a few minutes, drop in fish, mix with salad tongs.

And definitely wear your PPE unless you've got some eye warts you want to freeze off

edit: to elaborate, liquid nitro is "better" in that its colder (-330ish Faren versus -100ish Faren dry ice & ethanol). Its also cheap, the only downside is that its more difficult to come by. At least in my city you have to go to a gas supply store compared with lots of grocery stores carry dry ice.

Another thing to consider is a dry ice bath has a larger delta T value.

We want a liquid to maximize surface area and heat transfer out of the food. Nitrogen only exists as a liquid between -340 and -320 giving us a delta T of 20 degrees farenheit until it becomes a gas. A dry ice bath will always be a liquid, which gives us a delta T from -100F until +32F. I guess another factor could be heat transfer coefficents, but I'm on my phone at work so looking that up would suck

seance snacks fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 28, 2018

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

im on the net me boys posted:

Can I use this to remove my boyfriend's skin tags? He might be up for it if I say I'm making sushi.

sounds fun just be careful that he doesn't get pavlovian mindfucked by it

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

I've been hearing a lot about H-Mart and I'm considering making a road trip there. There's a bunch in Washington DC surrounding areas but that's at least an hour each way for me.

Anything specific to look out for besides the sashimi platters?

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Slight change in strategy: is there a ramen style that's particular vegetable-heavy? I think my wife is looking for that and I would also need a vegetarian option if I roll this out with buddies at some point. Eggs are cool.

I'd say whatever commonly goes on vegetarian pho would work well crossing over.
Tofu cubes, mung bean sprouts, thinly sliced onion and carrots? All of those can be easily found at a normal grocer too, except beans sprouts are hit or miss for me and worth a trip to an asian grocery for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

I apologize in advance for my crimes against cooking....

While I'm not on an explicit diet, I have been trying to do a general low-carb thing recently to lose some weight. Due to the recent abundance of spare time indoors, I started to brainstorm something new in my cooking journal.... Low-carb/Keto Nigiri.

In short, we're going to substitute the traditional sticky rice with riced cauliflower and gelatin.

The setup:

Ingredients
- 1 Cauliflower, poached, riced, strained with a cheese cloth. Came out to about 2 cups.
- 1.5 Tbsp Gelatin Powder
- 1.5 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar

Those last 3 can be tweaked to taste. I will probably add a bit more next time.

oh yeah, and a fish of your choosing.

Including this picture because wasabi is supposed to go between the fish and the rice, but you'll only see that done in a high-end sushi restaurant in the states. The reason for this is because not all westerners like the spicy wasabi, so you typically see it on the side. This sucks because when you have to put it on intentionally, you put it on top of the fish, which means it's what hits the roof of your mouth, it's all you taste and it overpowers everything else. This kinda creates a feedback loop for a lot of people, like no poo poo you didn't like the wasabi that blew out your sinuses and caked your mouth like peanut butter. Sorry, just had to get that rant out.

Side cut to give you a better idea of the texture.

End result:

The flavor was actually spot on. Since rice, cauliflower and gelatin are all fairly bland, the real flavor of sushi rice comes from the vinegar, sugar and salt.

The texture was obviously different, but not terrible. Sticky rice has a nice soft chew to it. The riced cauliflower was closer to something like.... If you've ever had grits for breakfast, and then you come back like an hour later and the grits have congealed together? That but a little thicker.