Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

hallo spacedog posted:

Since miso soup and ramen broth are really different, I would highly recommend you look for these kits if you have a big Asian grocery near you. The H-Mart near me carries them and they're really good: Ramen Kits from Sun Ramen.
They're a little more expensive than instant ramen but a whole lot better, the noodles are fresh and tasty, and the broths are solid.
Also they're super easy to make.

I saw this and immediately dropped everything and ran to H-Mart. I'm chowing into a miso pack right now and it is indeed the bee's knees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I have a cheap-rear end Krups rice cooker and let me tell you, it doesn't do those awesome pancakes.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Obeast posted:

A while back, I posted a question in this thread about getting access to Japanese food when the closest Japanese/Asian stores are many miles away. Well, yesterday I finally signed a lease and got the keys for a room I'll be renting out in San Jose, Ca. As it turns out, the building the room is in is about a three minute drive away from a Japanese grocery store that I ended up stopping at on the way home. I ended up buying a bag of Green Tea Kit-Kats everyone seems to rave about as well as a bag of Kasugai Melon Gummies (those were amazing by the way :) ).

With that said, the landlord only allows for light cooking, meaning microwave and little/no use of a portable electric stove for all cooking. So, now that I have easy access to imported ingredients, what are some good Japanese dishes that I can make for cheap (or close to cheap since import food can still be a little pricey compared to domestic food) and doesn't require a ton of prep and/or stove/microwave use? Along the same line, what are some other good Japanese snacks/treats that don't have to be refrigerated since I'd like to have something to keep in my room in case of midnight snack cravings, and not knowing my roommates and how trustworthy they are with a shared fridge? I tried finding the dried squid Arino from Game Center CX eats, but I didn't find anything that looks like the cylinder container the brand he eats uses.

Okonomiyaki can be made on an electric griddle if those are ok. Eggs, water, flour, cabbage, bacon, sauce. There are mix kits you can buy but it's not really necesssary.

Pineapple is the true king of the kasugai gummies.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Steve Yun posted:

If I use Panko instead of tenkasu in okonomiyaki and takoyaki, am I committing a food crime?

I half think boondi would be a better substitute; you can get it from an Indian or halal grocer. It's the same thing as tenkasu but the batter is chickpea-flour based.