Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Do you use a onigiri mold? My onigiri vastly improved since I bought one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Getting hot as balls over here. What are your favorite summer recipes? The only one I know is cold soba with tsuyu.

This was a while ago and it's not japanese, but Korean mul naengmyeon and bibim naengmyeon are sooooo nice on a hot day. Soba noodles in a ice cold sour broth or spicy sauce with daikon and a couple boiled eggs and sliced meats. The best.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Is there a specific go-to brand of instant dashi?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I also use Ajinomoto. Sometimes if you're lucky there's a variety you can find, there's some made with anchovies instead of katsuobushi for a more Korean thing.

Oooh, I need to keep my eyes out for that cuz I am terrible at keeping dried anchovy around for Korean style.

Thanks.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Shiso as a compound butter is dope

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I tried to make a cold soba inspired noodle dish the other night and it went very poorly.

I boiled a pack of ramen noodles and drained them then put them in the fridge and then put homemade teriyaki sauce over them and let them sit for an hour in fridge.

First of all I made my sauce way too sweet and cutting it with lime didn’t help for poo poo.

Second the flavor was just so overwhelming and dominant. I want to try to improve on it but idk what to do.

If you're looking to make the more traditional broth/dipping sauce that goes with soba, you wanna look at making mentsuyu.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Ultimate Mango posted:

I impulse bought a box of Golden Curry (mild because Mrs Mango can’t handle literally any spice), and I can’t seem to find any recipe other than what’s on the box. Even the internet just has a bunch of people making the box recipe.

Is that literally all I should do with this stuff?

That's kinda the point of Japanese Curry. It's the least exciting curry besides Mrs Gundersen's curried chicken salad that comes out for every potluck at the community center.

I like Japanese curry, and everyone has their own little something extra, but if you want an interesting curry, I suggest looking elsewhere.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I don't like vinegared rice with onigiri. I like to dip the mold in salt water and that is enough to flavor the rice when you compress it.

I never remember what it's called but the spent kombu and bonito after making dashi is great chopped super fine and stuffed in onigiri.

Other than that I'm all about the tuna mayo.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7lronS0hw0

Watch videos from these guys and get inspiration :v:

Through a couple videos they eat every onigiri available from 7-11 and Lawsons. Almost all of them look great and makes me wish there were Japanese 7-11s in the US.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Doc Walrus posted:

Whoa what the gently caress? How do you keep the rice together tight enough for that? That sounds incredible.

Onigiri is finger food so you should be compressing the rice well enough to eat it without it falling apart. That'll be strong enough to toss in a pan and get it crispy on all sides.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Are you actively agitating the rice?

I put my rice in the cooker pot, full to just over the level of the rice and agitate the water with my hand for like 10 seconds until the water is nice and cloudy. Drain most of the water off, repeat until the water is mostly clear. Usually like 3 - 5 times for me.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I like adding a small amount of grated asian pear

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Doc Walrus posted:

Leftover beef/ veg it is! This coming week's gonna be a good week for onigiri. I got some salmon skins from an Asian supermarket that opened up (another one!), big can of tuna, and we're making a lot of curry this week.

E: Is there anything else good I can use salmon skins for? It would be very, very convenient if something this cheap was more usable.

Crispy Salmon Skin Rice Bowls

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I really like this lady's stuff https://www.justonecookbook.com

I'm still working through her recipes but they've all been fairly straight forward and delicious so far.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I just get both off Amazon cuz the big bags are cheaper than my local Japanese grocery.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

hakimashou posted:

The whole foods has maitake mushrooms and they're pretty expensive.

I've never had them but I think they used to use them in iron chef, whats a good dish to make out of them?

I got you, fam

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

It's a mustard green, so it's a touch bitter, but pretty mild and the stalks/leaves aren't too stringy.

I've seen it mostly as a nimono or tossed into soup.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I love instant ramen. There's a lot of packs I can't find easily in the US that are legit delicious.

One that I can, though, is Nissin Raoh. The tonkotsu and miso packs are pretty good. I've found a Toyama style bowl that has surprisingly good noodles, too.

Just don't compare instant to stuff you get at a shop.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

EVG posted:

Is the Hondashi granulated stock base I can get at my local Asian market okay to use, or just trash? It's all I've used before and it seems okay, if not spectacular.

I use hondashi a lot. It's fine unless you're doing a dish where the dashi is a (or the) prominent flavor.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Steamed is my favorite way, seems to get a fluffier texture than boiling or roasting

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

You doing Osaka or Hiroshima? I did extensive research into these last time I was in Japan and came down hard on the Hiroshima side.

:hmmyes:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

If you have an H-Mart nearby you should not complain about finding anything as common as bonito flakes :colbert:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Noslo posted:

I've been hearing a lot about H-Mart and I'm considering making a road trip there. There's a bunch in Washington DC surrounding areas but that's at least an hour each way for me.

Anything specific to look out for besides the sashimi platters?

Go hungry and eat a pile of food from the food court.

Also fill up your trunk with a pile of Korean instant noodles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Suntory Toki is pretty tasty and cheap is you want to mix