Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al Loo Min Um
Oct 21, 2008

Say. It. With. Me.

hallo spacedog posted:

1: “traditional” Japanese food or washoku (和食). Obviously this is the largest category, under which your soups, rice dishes, fish dishes, vegetable dishes fall, broadly broken into categories like: grilled foods, braised foods, fried foods, “aemono,” and then even more specific categories like sushi/sashimi, kaiseki, hot pots (nabe), konamono (okonomiyaki, etc), donburi (rice bowls). I’m using quotations around traditional because there are things in this category of Portuguese and other origin that have long since been inducted into this category (like tempura, etc). Basically, if you picked up a book in Japan that said “Japanese cooking,” anything you might find in there would be in this category.

Do you mean agemono? Aemono would be the cold things with spinach or tofu right?

I've always been a little put off Japanese cooking because of the various seasoning rules but I should really give it another chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Loo Min Um
Oct 21, 2008

Say. It. With. Me.

Stringent posted:

I've actually had pretty good luck with some of the stuff off of https://en.cookpad.com/

I heard about that recently. They've been translating some of the most popular recipes which is useful, the Japanese version won't let you filter by popularity or rating unless you pay for a premium account.