Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I'm gonna try my first home made ramen tonight! I'm vegetarian so I was gonna do a mushroom and seaweed broth with black garlic oil and chili - I dunno if it's gonna be the most authentic thing in the world, but I'm still excited and I'll post pics and a recipe assuming I don't horribly embarrass myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

So here's that ramen I said I was making (if anyone cares). I went to the local Asian shop and picked up a couple of fun things, especially udon noodles and red miso. What I couldn't find was any wakame, though, which was a bummer, but I just improvised with the nori I picked up. Don't try this at home!

Mise en place! Chef Hernandez would be so proud of me. :3: The base was six cups of water with a tablespoon of dark soy sauce, a tablespoon of vegetable stock, a tablespoon and a half of chili paste, and two table spoons of red miso paste.

Other things for the broth: a tablespoonish of minced fresh ginger, maybe an ounce of dried shiitake mushrooms, some extra firm tofu, and a bunch of nori I crinkled up with my hands. It is a very shameful broth. I'll have to find somewhere that sells wakame around me next time I try this, or maybe just look harder at the store...

Here's everything all nice and cozy in the pot to simmer for a bit, except for...

The black garlic oil! I didn't get a good after picture because I dumped it the broth before I remembered to snap one. I tried doing it by hand with the back of a spoon and it came out as more of a very thick paste in oil, so I'll try better to properly emulsify it next time. It just wasn't enough that I felt it was worthwhile to throw it in a blender since I'd probably lose like half of more on the walls. Other than that, it was really really easy, just throw some garlic in oil over medium heat until it's caramel brown and then turn to low until it's black.

:chillout: I boiled a couple eggs but they came out overdone. I knew I was gonna do that, too, but I didn't have the foresight to actually set a timer and my sense of timing is awful enough that I can't accurately gauge five minutes passing.

A fine hand strainer I used to clarify the broth. Slow, but worked really well, and the broth came out a gorgeous and clear deep brown color.

My kawaii rear end bowl I picked up at the Asian store.

The final product, topped with some reserved mushrooms and tofu, the (overdone) eggs, some nori, green onion, and cracked black pepper I put on after taking the picture. I was really proud of it and I shamelessly showed it off to all my friends the rest of the night. Not bad for a first try, I think! Except for the part where I strained the first batch of noodles too fast and scalded my hand and dropped them all in a gross dirty sink. That part was awful and I hate myself for it.

Philip Rivers fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 25, 2014

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

kinmik posted:

Yeah, I'm getting some serious noodle envy. However, I think you were supposed to be looking for konbu, rather than wakame. There's a pretty big difference.

The recipe I was kinda hedging was wakame definitely, but I'm not well versed enough in the differences between the two to say. I know for a fact that I probably shouldn't have used nori, but it came out pretty tasty and strained off well enough anyway.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Seaweed is so good! I got a five pack of nori because it was the best deal and I can't stop snacking on it. It's like nature's potato chips.

From those descriptions I'd probably go with the kombu for a broth, anyway, so it sounds like you definitely know more than me.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I made maki! :buddy:

I live at a coop that's all vegetarian, but one of the really nice things we buy is junk from the local Asian store. We always have nori and a bunch of nice rolling mats, so I decided to pick up some sushi rice and veggies at the food coop in town. These guys are stuffed with carrots and mushrooms I sautéed in sesame oil, avocado, and Japanese mayo. Stoked they came out so well, this is only the third time I've ever made maki. The best tip I found was to make sure that your knife is wet when you cut the rolls so you don't crush them (which is what happened to the last roll I made).

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Anyone ever try their hand at seitan? I'm making some so I have something I can stuff inside some onigiri. Any ideas about how I can do it up once I finish cooking it?

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

So does anyone know anything about cooking vegetarian Japanese food? I can make a good maki roll and an okayish no-fish dashi but I'm really yearning to branch out. There's just something about cooking Japanese food that I find very calming/meditative, and of course it's all delicious, so I'm always looking for excuses to make some.

I should learn how to make tamagoyaki one of these days.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

It's just dashi broth. Dashi is used as stock/base for practically any other Japanese soup.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Goddddd why is Japanese mayo so good

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Fooley posted:

When I soak rice do I add the usual amount of water I would, soak, then just turn on the pot? Or do I drain off the soaking water then add X amount again? I'm assuming the former.

I usually dump the soaking water, at least for shorter grain varieties.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

That's a pretty rad write up. I especially appreciate the Lao Gan Ma, I just found out about that stuff and wow is it good.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm considering making rice balls for work lunches. Does anyone have a good recipe?

They're pretty simple, just pick something good to put in the center and mold 'em.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I made some onigiri stuffed with umeboshi tonight. So good and easy. Anyone have any other vegetarian fillings they like in onigiri?

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Drain it first imo but it should be good to use tomorrow. Also, how can you be too lazy to make rice? Rice is the easiest thing to cook, you just put it in a rice cooker. Not trying to make fun of you or anything but I'm seriously confused here.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Do you mean like cheesecloth? That's what I'm imagining here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Looks like kombu to me.