Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
This might be a departure from drying your own katsuobushi or whatever, but nothing hits the spot like some instant curry:

I've tried a few and usually stick with Golden Curry but that's probably just nostalgia, does someone have another favorite? Eating it, I can feel my mood improving with each bite.

Anyway, I'd welcome some opinions on what veggies, fruits, meats and spices to add. I usually go with beef cubes, onion, potato, carrots, and bananas (a point of contention with my family). Sprinkled with cayenne pepper and served with an unhealthy amount of white rice. I try to cook enough for the next one or two days, and it tastes even better than the first night. poo poo now I'm thinking about kare pan which is equally delicious.

Last time I visited Japan there were Coco Curry Houses everywhere which looked extremely appetizing but I admit it's not exactly highbrow and it wasn't possible to convince the family to go to to the Olive Garden of Japan during a limited vacation.

Kevin DuBrow fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Apr 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

Learning to cut weiners into octopus shapes is the most important Japanese cooking skill.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

Made some yakionigiri at my partner's urging. They certainly looked attractive and nicely browned with the sauce, and people really liked them, but I just found myself preferring good old onigiri. I think dango delivers the same flavor as the yakionigiri sauce in a much more delicious way.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

Does anyone outside of Japan actually enjoy naporitan? I've tried it both home made and at a restaurant and it's less tasty than the most mediocre of Italian chain restaurant dishes.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

Binging "One week of bento boxes for my husband" videos on youtube again and wishing I had a husbando to make octopus hot dogs for

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

When people talk about healthy food in Japan, I recall how as a child in Japan, my dad would sneak into the kitchen at night and lick their block of MSG like a horse.

(I know msg's not that bad. Still gross.)

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

My ranking of furikake flavors:

1. Salmon
2. Shiso
3. Nori tama
4. Plain

Last place: umeboshi, just get actual umeboshi because I just bought this and can't wait to finish it.

Kevin DuBrow fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 3, 2021

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

New cookbook on izakaya cuisine came to my library. Alongside the traditional fare I found nice new fusion recipes. I made udon carbonara using bacon tempura and it was very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Sorry to double post but what exactly is the Proper Way of making Miso? Particularly like mine where I want to add stuff (Mushrooms, Onions, etc).

Is this correct?
1. Make Dashi (put konbu in cold water for ~30mins, then bring to a simmer for 15 minutes with bonito flakes, turn off the heat and strain)
2. Add in my ingredients (half a sliced onion, enoki mushrooms, shitake mushrooms (not dried)) simmer for 15 minutes?
3. Turn off heat, mix in my miso after waiting a minute to cool a little.
4. Add scallions. (doing tofu-less miso for calorie watching reasons) (Could I also add seseme seed oil here or should it be during one of the previous simmer phases?)
5. Osomatsu.

I know some suggestions are 12-24 hours for the konbu, but I want it now. :mad:

The recipe is good. I would try simmering the mushrooms less than the onion, I like six minutes for a somewhat firmer texture. You can also marinate mushrooms for a few hours in soy sauce and sesame oil.