Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
This an ok place to ask about TakoYaki? I got one of those little electric skillet things and some Nissin TakoYaki flour/dry batter. I added the egg and the water and threw some little mushroom bits in for my kids and shrimp diced up in mine. For a first time, it came out well, however, I could use some tips.

1) Most often, even using techniquie I picked up quickly for turning, I had incomplete death star balls. Open edges or sides. Is this from waiting too long to make the first flip? (ie: more batter cooks and thus less pours out when you flip it to flill in the new southern hemisphere...

2) I got this one by Yamazen. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NSCM28A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It reviewed well and I have no major complaints, but something that was mentioned (that I totally now 'get' is the size of the ball seems a bit on the small side for putting ANYTHING inside. Is there a better TakoYaki pan/appliance that makes, um... bigger balls? (heh.)

[Ed]

These are about the size of a small bouncy ball. A little too small for easy filling...

Feenix fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Now ya’ll got me wanting to try a Japanese curry. What brands are good? I have a couple decent grocers with solid Asian sections.

Also: my wife is vegetarian. Are the base sauces vegetarian? And would these be good lacking added meat? Any good substitutions?

Carrot, potatoes, onions and....?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Nice. Thanks. Have to eat it alone for lunch if the base isn’t veggie though...

I’ve always wanted to try it.

Edit, unless misinfo, this blurb for S&B Golden says:

“This pack contains enough delicious and completely vegetarian curry sauce for 12 servings.”

Feenix fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Nov 13, 2017

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Vegetarian. Sounds like S.&B will work...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Thanks for the recipe. She's not a fan of tempeh, but yes, firm tofu is a good way to go.

I'm... I'm not sure how I feel about Chocolate and Cheese. I mean, at least not yet. I don't even know what Japanese Curry tastes like so I sort of want to experience it as it is before I trick it out.

I assume many of you buy some and eat it, as evidenced by posting here. Do you have to add chocolate and cheese to get it tasty? Or do you like a brand/roux already as is?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

large hands posted:

Japanese curry is their version of the Royal Navy's 19th century version of curry, iirc, so it's not like you're messing with some sacred pure dish

No doubt. I've just only ever had a Thai curry. It's ok. I don't love it, I don't hate it. I just really want to try a Japanese one. It looks so hearty and comfort-foody. LIke a more exotic beef stew. Perfect for the cold wet weather.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Japanese pickles loving rule.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Holy poo poo! First Japanese curry ever. Carrots, onions, potatoes, edamame... S&B Golden...
A dash of the no beef beef base from better than bouillon. Hershey’s bar, garlic, fresh ginger, healthy pinch of sharp cheddar, one splash of Worcestershire. Finish with a dash of soy and a healthy squirt of sriracha for heat.

I’m
In
loving
Heaven!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Stringent posted:

Sounds like you're doing it right.

Man, I had leftovers of it today. God drat it's so good! And this is coming from someone who has never really had an opinion one way or another about curries in general.

It's my new favorite.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Hershey bar? Cheddar cheese?

It sounded weird to me, too... but I tried the S&B prior to adding just to get an idea of it without and it felt... more 1 dimensional and a little “flat.”

It really made it sing!

[Edit] The chocolate doesn’t make it chocolatey, it just gives it a low-end rounded out sweetness.

And apparently they (Japanese) often will put grated cheese on top at serving, (so I read, anyway...) so mixing it in isn’t that odd. That just gives it a nice salty zing.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 20, 2017

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Its good. Don’t ask questions.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Ultimate Mango posted:

I impulse bought a box of Golden Curry (mild because Mrs Mango can’t handle literally any spice), and I can’t seem to find any recipe other than what’s on the box. Even the internet just has a bunch of people making the box recipe.

Is that literally all I should do with this stuff?

Hearty pinch-wad of grated cheddar, like a whole (regular-not-King-Size) bar of Hersheys milk chocolate, a couple dashes of worcestshire, fresh grated ginger. (And some sriracha on yours post-plating.)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Posted in general questions but may be more relevant here:

Any of ya'll ever make Tamago Ajitsuke for ramen? I did a 3 minute egg in the instant pot. Ice bathed it. Peeled it. It "felt" great. Just right. You could tell it was soft.

I marinated them in the marinade and tested one about 5 hours later and it was firm yellow. LIke almost a hardboiled egg.

The marinade hadn't penetrated fully. So it can't be that, right??

My only guess was there was still residual heat in the egg post ice-bath?

Any ideas?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

totalnewbie posted:

Yes, that and did you stick the marinade/egg in the 'fridge? That's what I did and it ended up with a fine texture.

Probably something you really have to just try a few more times to get the hang of it.

Marinade and egg went into fridge, yes.
Honestly it must have just had residual in-egg heat because I did another batch this morning that was perfect at the exact same timing.

Thanks! :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Hey J-cooks! A question: after having Mitarashi Dango for the first time, I read up on how blasted easy it was to make.

And it was.
The recipe cited silken tofu and rice flour in equal quantities.

What I realized after biting into one (which I already knew having felt it in my hands...) was this was not specific enough a description of the flour.

Further reading elsewhere stated “glutinous” rice flour.

Is that specific enough? Am I looking for something slightly pre-sweetened?

[Ed] hey I guess I know how to google...

Shiratamako and Joshinko: Shiratamako is from sweet rice/glutinous Japanese short grain rice and Joshinko is from regular short grain Japanese rice. These flours give different texture. When you make dango with only shiratamako, the texture tends to be too soft. Therefore we usually add Joshinko to make the right dango texture.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
My ramen love right now at home is a 1.50 little shoyu broth concentrate (like a thick liquid) that you add some boiling water to.
My favorite fast noodles are Moroheiya “Green Noodles”

Then just add fun stuff. Edamame. Corn. Scallions. Egg. Silken tofu. And I kinda like Kim chi on top.