Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Onigiri troubleshooting:

I tried my hand at making some tuna mayo onigiri after getting back from Japan recently and enjoying the ones at the convenience stores.

I made some Nishiki brand rice in a rice cooker and just made a basic tuna salad with canned tuna in water and kewpie mayo. When I rolled them up, the rice had cooled to room temp and sat probably another hour. I ate one and refrigerated the rest. The filling came out good but a little dry, and the rice stuck together pretty well to make the triangle shape, but the texture of the rice is all wrong. It’s super dry and the individual grains come apart when you chew it. Are the convenience store ones not refrigerated for more than a few hours? Was the problem letting the rice cool? Where did I go wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Casu Marzu posted:

I love instant ramen. There's a lot of packs I can't find easily in the US that are legit delicious.

One that I can, though, is Nissin Raoh. The tonkotsu and miso packs are pretty good. I've found a Toyama style bowl that has surprisingly good noodles, too.

Just don't compare instant to stuff you get at a shop.

Nissin Raoh is better than 95% of what you can get in North Carolina.

I wish I could find the Sun Noodle kits.

BTW I don't think I ever mentioned this, but Grand Fromage we tried the burnt miso ramen in Kyoto back in August and it ruled, so thank you.