Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Thanks this is very neat! It does sound pretty interesting to make some miso. Do the other miso bases work out as well as soy? Like do chickpeas or yellow peas or whatever taste significantly different?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

What am I looking for in a good Kombu or dried Shiitake? I've been making dashi (mostly for miso soup) with them and I'll be picking up another bag of shiitake soon. Soaking the shiitake cold for 6-8 hrs and the kombu approximately overnight seems to work well. According this this (https://www.messyvegancook.com/japanese-vegan-dashi-recipe/), soaking the shiitake in cold water promotes the formation of umami compounds.

For the kombu, should it be thick or thin? Color? And I'm assuming I want lots of white stuff on the surface?

For the shiitake, do I want big ones, small ones, or does it matter? Color?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

For mushrooms you want to make sure they don’t have pinholes and buy whole ones. That’s not usually an issue unless you’re buying the absolute cheapest you can possibly find though. I’ve never found a big difference between kombu and dashima from any brands so if it looks nice go for it? The stuff seems to keep forever anyway.

I need some more kombu and hijiki recipes in my repertoire...

What do you mean by pinholes? I’m not really sure I follow.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Can curry blocks be frozen? The whole package is sometimes too much curry, so it would be nice to be able to make a little less of it, but still be able to use the rest.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Maybe fridge makes more sense, it would be easier to incorporate anyway than a frozen brick. And yeah, I'm talking about opening a package, breaking off a few blocks to make a smaller amount of curry, then using the rest of the blocks later. It's probably salty enough to stay good for a while.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

This has probably been asked before, but how long could I keep a bottle of sake for cooking? I’m guessing it’s high enough ABV to not go bad (especially in the fridge), but I’m just curious how long people would keep it around.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

MockingQuantum posted:

I know this is probably kind of hard to quantify in text, but how flavorful should kombu dashi be? I tried to make some today, just got some kombu from the local Asian grocery store and steeped it in water for about 3 hours at room temp. I don't read a ton of Japanese but the package at least said something about dashi on it so I'm fairly certain it was the right stuff, it had lots of the white mannitol powder on the surface.

The dashi tastes like seaweed (sort of like nori in flavor, but not exactly the same), but doesn't really have a strong umami flavor, it's pretty weak tasting overall. Is this a sign that I didn't use enough, or steep long enough, or just got old/bad kombu? I've never had just plain old kombu dashi so I have nothing to compare it to.

For dashi, I think there’s going to be an upper limit on how savory you’ll get it to taste with kombu alone. The common dashi which also contains dried fish actually has 2 distinct sources of tasty umami compounds: glutamic acid from the seaweed and inosinic acid from the katsuobushi (dried fish) flakes. Those two are actually synergistic; the umami taste you get when you have both is supposedly much more than with either one alone. (This blog post about vegan dashi says like 8x but that may be an overstatement)

The Korean analogue trades the katsuobushi (dried skipjack tuna) for dried anchovies to achieve the same result. For vegans, a common substitution is some dried shiitake mushrooms, which contribute guanylic acid instead and does a similar job. Although the last few times I tried it with shiitake I got some weird off-flavors from the mushroom so I have some refining to do there.

I haven’t made just pure kombu dashi before, but my understanding is that it’s not going to be as savory as a dashi that uses 2 components.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i bought about 5lbs of lentils 2 years ago, only to find that i kind of hate how lentils taste. today i finally figured out that using a base of sauteed ginger, garlic, and thai chilies, plus dashi and red miso to simmer the lentils result in something reasonably flavorful instead of a pot of utterly boring starch. this is the first time i've used miso in a non-japanese recipe, and i'm wondering if anyone has random applications of miso to non-traditional ingredients that they enjoy using?

I’ve done a miso/tahini dressing before and it’s nice. I’ve used it as a dressing for slaw. Basically just thin some miso with water, add tahini, aromatics (ginger and/or garlic, but I’ve mostly done it without), and some acid to taste. Then thin it out with water to taste.

Tahini is a pretty common sauce for falafel, so it’s basically tahini sauce with some miso.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

MockingQuantum posted:

What do you put in your gyoza? My wife is vegetarian and we're trying to figure out a good veggie dumpling/gyoza recipe, but I can't do mushrooms and cabbage is iffy, which cuts out two ingredients that come up in most recipes I see.

also how do you use the corn starch? do you just dab the gyoza in the starch before cooking them?

Tofu can also be good in dumplings. Common in Korean dumplings, in kimchi mandu. Just drained, crumbled, and seasoned along with the other filling ingredients.

Green onions are also a good addition.

Is it all cabbage/brassica that's a problem? Like you could do shredded broccoli stems or kohlrabi or something like that, but if it's all brassica then that's out.

How about Napa cabbage? It's still a Brassica, but is more distantly related to green cabbage than broccoli is from green cabbage; it's Brassica rapa instead of Brassica oleracea. Of course if you just have problems with cruciferous vegetables in general don't go shoving napa cabbage into your mouth.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

The broccoli will have some of the flavors of cabbage but I imagine the texture may end up a bit different. It'll be more similar to shredded carrots you put in dumplings, so probably just treat them like you treat the carrots. May want to peel the stems too. I don't mind the broccoli skin when it's chopped, but I think you'll notice it more if you're grating or shredding it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

You could try bulgur or couscous; they're both forms of wheat and I guess wheat grows in Finland*. I don't know if you know much about couscous or bulgur, so I'll explain them briefly. Couscous is basically little balls of wheat that are par-steamed. There's 2 things called couscous: a fine-grained (really tiny grains, like a fraction the size of a rice grain) couscous, and an Israeli couscous that's more similar to Orzo. I've never had the Israeli kind. The fine-grained couscous is often made by just pouring boiling water over the grain and letting it steam. You get a fluffy, soft, and separate grains that have a mild taste.

Bulgur is wheat which has been par-cooked, then cracked into various sizes. I've only bought the fine-grain stuff. You can cook it kind of like couscous, but it can need a bit of extra steaming to get it cooked. I've often done it like couscous then microwaved it briefly to give it extra steaming. The end result of the fine-grained stuff is similar to couscous; fluffy, separate grains that are very small, but maybe a bit more chewy. It also has a mild flavor. Bulgur is also considered a whole grain since it's par-cooked with the bran on then crushed.

*Probably any couscous or bulgur you buy wasn't produced locally