Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mykroft
Aug 25, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Hopper posted:

Currently in Japan and enjoying it a lot. Thanks for all the food tips.

I am looking for Weipaa, as I want to being some home. I haven't found any in conbinis so I probably need to check a proper grocery store. Any tips what grocery store names I could look up in Tokyo, Hrishima or Fukuoka?

“OK store” is a grocery chain I’ve gone to during trips when we wanted more choice than the combinis offer, glancing at google maps there’s a decent amount throughout Tokyo. What part of the city are you staying in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mykroft
Aug 25, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Potato Salad posted:

Ramen! Without going through a hundred pages (sorry) do y'all have a good starter ramen recipe?

Do you have a particular style you’re hoping to replicate? Ramen can be pretty diverse. That said, I made a shoyu ramen I went into details in the dinner thread pretty recently that I thought was fairly simple prep for the soup side of things.

Mykroft posted:

From the ramen subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/ramen/comments/blrqdd/homemade_next_on_my_tour_of_ramen_styles_newwave/

For the base, simmer chicken backs in equal parts water skimming off any scum. When scum stops forming or you’re sick of doing it, I pressure cooked for 20 minutes followed by natural release, the thread calls out cooking times without a pressure cooker. When this is done discard chicken bits and let cool in the fridge so you can skim off the schmaltz and save it.

The tare is 9:1 soy sauce:mirin (I made half the recipe in the link and still have a lot), and to assemble a bowl it’s 1 tbsp schmaltz, 3 tbsp tare, then 350ml broth. Top with another 1tbps of the schmaltz.

I had about 1.5kg of chicken backs to start with and got about 4 bowls worth of broth and schmaltz.

Mykroft
Aug 25, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

im on the net me boys posted:

Everyone at home enjoyed the nabe but I spoiled my appetite by eating too many snacks before dinner :/ but I did have some and enjoyed it a lot

What did you use for your broth/base?