Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lots of Japanese people won't eat natto as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

recommend a good brand of dashi powder? Something on Amazon and not too expensive.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I wanted omu rice but I needed to eat leftover potato daal so I just threw it in instead of fried rice veg and it was surprisingly good.

I have seen dahl spelled three ways.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I have a beef noodle broth that I'm very happy with and make pretty often, but I don't have decent noodles to go with it. What's the easiest way to make or get decent ramen or udon style noodles for a basic corner-cutting week night beef broth noodles?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah it's easy as long as you have somewhere to cool and mix the rice.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Americans are obsessed with racially coding every single thing lol

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sushi king

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Heath posted:

Am I the only one who loves that style of rectangular plate? It feels like the perfect setup for portioning without stuff laying on top of other stuff

layering preserves heat

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Japanese food thread, please advise. I've got a batch of Japanese curry that's watery AF, but can't take any more reducing or the flavors will just be too overwhelming.

Curry being yoshoku, it should just be fine to throw some unsalted butter and flour into another pan and make up some non-curry roux to thicken, right? Or should I look at a different thickener instead?

Scoop some the curry potato chunks into a food processor and blend them into a paste, then mix back into the curry. That's a really common way to get the desired thick Japanese curry texture.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I bought gochu jang a few months ago and have never used it. What do I do with it?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

My rice cooker broke! :smith:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

How do you make your oyakodon the right egg texture? I always over or under cook it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

From a chemical perspective I'm sure they'd last longer if they were sealed. Fresh oxygen circulating over the fish can't be good.