Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
New patch is out! I'm just gonna do every contract that comes up

don't know what all this new poo poo is on the space center screen

sure I'll go into space or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
Terrible AIDS Pogrom.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

babby's first rocket.craft should be able to knock out at least three of those contracts

I underestimated how much I'd need to get out of the atmosphere, so I fell short by 15k :shrug:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

ok that wasn't too hard to knock out with staging. moving forward though I gotta be a bit more careful about design so I can maximize part recovery

unlocked some new science

there's a lot more contracts available, too!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Space games are dumb.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

it's you

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Almost every game takes place in space somewhere if you think about it.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

once you get radial decouplers & a couple sized of engine you can start making really complex rockets and start to tackle stuff like munar or interplanetary missions. the whole system is your oyster really. this is around where I start to use mechjeb though so you're in for some disappointment if that's not your bag

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
launch a manned rocket into the sun for me

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

that's a lot harder than it sounds, because of physics

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

i'll give it a try when I can though. haven't actually tried before!

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

ok we're getting into more "serious" rocketry here. nothing huge yet but this'll get to orbit reliably. the lander legs are so I can recover the engine instead of smashing it to bits on touchdown. this is about the biggest rocket you can send up with just one of the LV-T30 engines, ok you can go a little bigger but not much. if I used boosters I could probably get the top stage to minmus and back.

gets to orbit and there's even fuel left over to get home! unfortunately I couldn't figure out how to complete the LV-909 test contract during the same mission.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

this mission was successful beyond my wildest dreams

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all
i don't think flying around lifeless rocks in a shoddy space sim is very fun people

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

kerbal space program does a great job at demonstrating why we shouldn't have a space program irl. space is mad boring.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

there's other space companies?? :aaaaa:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Silver Alicorn posted:

there's other space companies?? :aaaaa:

Well Kerbal is going to be crushed under the wake of Star Citizen, so they have to aim for realism in this game about tiny green midgets.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

star citizen aint got poo poo on kerbals

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Silver Alicorn posted:

Star Citizen is going to revolutionize gaming. I mean look at all the money they spent on lifelike asteroids you can't get textures like that for free.

oh wait that's exactly what they did, they got most of their texture for free off of google

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

Silver Alicorn posted:

launch a rocket into the sun

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

well I saved that guy in a rocket built for two

Omally posted:

launch a rocket into the sun

soon

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Ok I decided I'd see how hard it was to fly into the sun @ my current tech level and it wasn't that hard with one weird tip discovered by a rocket scientist. here's the rocket:

it's unwieldy but it gets into orbit alright.

so here's the deal. once in orbit we can just burn straight for the sun, which is alright, but I didn't bring enough fuel for that.

however, we can do something called a bi-elliptic transfer and use less fuel!

the reason this works is because of something called the oberth effect, where a rocket engine is more efficient when it's already moving at a high speed. when we're in orbit around kerbin, we have kerbin's orbital velocity, PLUS the orbital velocity we get from being in orbit around kerbin as well. pushing our orbit out past jool's takes less energy than transferring to a very low orbit, because we're essentially already pointed in that direction, from a physics perspective. and once we get there, we have a lot of orbital energy to work with, so it's cheaper to cancel out our orbital velocity there than it is near kerbin's orbit

so now jebediah's fate is sealed

this is closer than I've ever been to kerbol

this is too close to time accelerate!

MISSION COMPLETE

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Contract
Assist rebels with Ukraine take over

Agent
Putin

Prestige
Significant