Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

In the process of watching Day 1 and is there a reason why Honma never made it big in NJPW? I remember him absolutely tearing poo poo up in BJW as a rookie, then getting called up to the big leagues and ending up as p. much an eternal jobber ever since. Obviously the dude's enjoying his job since he's stuck to it for so long, but this match with Tanahashi was p. crazy and the crowd was responding well. Was it the stigma of a garbage promotion holding him back or what? Seems like such a waste to maybe start giving him a more prominent role/bigger matches now that he's near 40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Bushmeister posted:

Was it the stigma of a garbage promotion holding him back or what?

that's what I always assumed but then again Gedo & Jado were FMW guys and look where they are now.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Bushmeister posted:

In the process of watching Day 1 and is there a reason why Honma never made it big in NJPW? I remember him absolutely tearing poo poo up in BJW as a rookie, then getting called up to the big leagues and ending up as p. much an eternal jobber ever since. Obviously the dude's enjoying his job since he's stuck to it for so long, but this match with Tanahashi was p. crazy and the crowd was responding well. Was it the stigma of a garbage promotion holding him back or what? Seems like such a waste to maybe start giving him a more prominent role/bigger matches now that he's near 40.

His initial run in NJPW ended with him being released for "personal problems".

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Also, I think doing so many matches in such a short time is going to expose him a little. I can only watch him slap his head and then whiff on a headbutt so many times (although the NJPW crowds apparently disagree with me).

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I didn't know that he got released at some point, I guess that does explain things. I assumed he had been employed constantly since the 2000's and thought that he just never got a big break despite a long commitment.

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011
I remember reading that Honma was released due to being associated with the NOAH yakuza scandal in some way, and that was probably also the reason why he hasn't got a significant push, but I can't find a source for that so could just be a dumb rumour.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014

Doc Gallows's win over Honma isn't marked with a pretty green O :(

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Biosys posted:

I remember reading that Honma was released due to being associated with the NOAH yakuza scandal in some way, and that was probably also the reason why he hasn't got a significant push, but I can't find a source for that so could just be a dumb rumour.

That's what I heard too, but it might just be "Guy had vague personal issues...YAKUZA".

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
My first thought was drug use before I remembered how much more of a stigma drug use has in the professional world in Japan. ARASHI getting busted for pot basically cost him his career.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Goto starting with three wins guarantees that he'll choke again.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

tenzan is going to win the g1 climax

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

John Cena posted:

tenzan is going to win the g1 climax

Given that nobody expected Naito to win last year before a certain point this isn't even that ridiculous a notion.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Brother Karl gave a too sweet interview talking about all the sweet dingers he hit in college baseball.

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/q-and-a-with-machine-gun-karl-anderson-part-1/

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Finished Night 3. Brief thoughts:

- They're barely averaging one bad match per night. Almost everything is average at least, and the 2nd half of all three cards have been must watches. The match quality overall is terrific and I don't get the sense, like last year, that guys are killing themselves performing (exception: Ishii :()

- Great finish in the Goto/Suzuki match. Out of nowhere.

- Kojima clotheslining Tanahashi off the top turnbuckle = :stare:. Hell of a match. Loved this.

My top five matches so far:

1.) Shibata/Nakamura, Night 1
2.) Okada/Styles, Night 1
3.) Ishii/Kojima, Night 2
4.) Tanahashi/Honma, Night 1
5.) Tanahashi/Kojima, Night 3

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

HERE WE GO NIGHT 4!!!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

So many old guys getting wins

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

gently caress this goddamn timeslot but I'm a pathetic addict

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011
Ankle lock reversal was cool, but more important SHELTON STILL UNDEFEATED

NULL_SIGNAL
Feb 19, 2013

Old men making poor hair decisions.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Tenzan's mullet is very over with me

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
I just got here at the finish of X vs Davey how many matches in is it one or two?

NULL_SIGNAL
Feb 19, 2013

This is match three.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
This is Shelton's year it's very exciting.

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

so many forgotten waves
Old Man Face Punching Timee!

:edit: Holy crap MiNu

Ishin fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jul 26, 2014

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011
That's what you get for not waiting till Yano was ready.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
SO this is Yano's thing? Gets beat up, then schoolboys you for a victory?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Forceholy posted:

YTR is basically a heel that thinks he's a face...who gets treated like a face. So he'll try and get the other guy to shake his hand before the match. Then he'll punch them in the dick. Then the crowd will chant for him.

It's weird. But he rules.

NULL_SIGNAL
Feb 19, 2013

Forceholy posted:

And then he sells a DVD. It's a pretty basic business plan.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Forceholy posted:

His thing is basically lie+cheat+steal to win e.g. try to use the turnbuckle as a weapon in every match, try to distract the ref for a lowblow, basically win the only way he can

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
He's poo poo and bad

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

so many forgotten waves
Honma is always so loving happy when he lands that headbutt.

Also, how many cigs do you have to smoke daily to get his ridiculous voice.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Ishin posted:

he has a crushed larynx from deathmatches I think

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011

Ishin posted:

Honma used to be a deathmatch wrestler and he got his vocal chords crushed during a match, which is why he sounds like that.

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

so many forgotten waves
Well that certainly makes more sense. God drat that is brutal.

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

so many forgotten waves
FIVE SNOWFLAKES!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

that was hard to watch

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

That was insane.

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011
Holy poo poo, that (or Okada/Styles) probably my match of the tournament so far.

Honma's face when Ishii kicked out towards the end :(

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

so many forgotten waves
You'll get a point someday Honma :(. Oh good intermission need to catch a breather after just watching that match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
loving Brutal. At least 4 1/2 stars, and like at least 3 years off both Ishii and Honma's lifespans.

• Locked thread