Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«15 »
  • Locked thread
Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Konnie

"I don't see how that proverb applies to you at all, Naroa." Konnie notes. "But don't let that stop you if you want to actually gently caress off forever and leave us in peace."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

"I only wanted to offer your hospitality to the people I brought with me. I knew you wouldn't mind." Naroa says, "Like I said. I won't be in New York much longer. I have too much work to do elsewhere."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Konnie

"Considering what happened that last time you tried to help people yourself," Konnie takes a quick look at Ryan when she says that. "Leaving them here with us is the best thing for everybody."

Too much work to do elsewhere? "Doesn't sound ominous at all…" Konnie sighs.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

"More of the same, really. Less collateral damage, hopefully."

xian fucked around with this message at Aug 30, 2016 around 04:29

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Meg

"Look, Kon, I didn't become the fashion phenom I am by showing up on time places," Meg protests with a roll of her eyes.

She's changed out of her 'proper Meg' dress into something more appropriate for both her style and the weather - skirt, ripped fishnets, boots, and a tank top from some band even more obscure than Gypsy Widow at their founding. She's accented it with a glow-light necklace and matching earrings because gently caress you that's why.

And of course she has a beer in her hand. "I lose Jules?" she asks with a twists of her head. She holds a hand up to Konnie, "I'll summon him by thinking lusty thoughts."

She closes her eyes and grits her teeth comically.

"Must have fallen over some pop bimbo," she complaints with a sigh. Something has her in a mood. And ther'es something she's missed....right on the tip of her tongue.

"What the gently caress is Naroa doing here?"

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Sherry

"Someone left a window open?" Sherry suggests to Meg. She looks to Stan and spreads a hand out flat. Stay steady.

Lovely setup. It's better for Naroa being right, on at least a technical level. As a statement, it's like one of those magician's scarves: you keep pulling, and... no, that's a lousy metaphor. It's something that gets more angles the closer you look.

'You can't keep me out.' That's the obvious one. 'If you do, they'll remember it.' God knows what she's told those people, but if one of the people who has history with her does something, her tour group is going to come away with an image of angry, super-powered people in a secret underground hideout. From Boys' Town to The Man in a one-two punch. Subparagraph to the first, she could have brought armed and angry people in, for that matter, not these folks off the street.

"It's not like someone would have built a cat door in, intentionally."

---
I am the one who sucks. Sorry for more slow.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

"What am I doing, that is the question, isn't it?" Naroa responds to Meg, "In this moment, I am bringing our people together. My friends and yours. And more to come. Many more to come. We are spreading the word of a new generation."

"In a previous encounter," Naroa says, playing up a story-time-sincere quality in her voice. She angles herself toward her charges, "I destroyed something very dear to them. A bar. A second home, I think, for some. I put some people in danger, but, to my knowledge, danger never came to pass. Doing this was not unavoidable but also perhaps inevitable," she shrugs, "and remember what I told you?" She makes eye contact with the olive skinned girl with the cat eyes, with the thin man, with a middle aged man and pre-teen daughter, with the others, and finally with Ryan, "That it was fate these powers found you?"

"Ryan, amidst everything else, I said that, didn't I?" He might as well be a statue. "Here is someone who exceeded all expectations I had for him, but before any of that, he helped me that night. I promised him more money than he'd seen in his life. That was a lie. He never saw a cent from me, but what he found after we'd gone our separate ways is priceless. He's furious at me right now, you can see it leaking out of every pore of his body, and he's got a right to be. He was desperate and I deceived him. I used him. But, he's found purpose and a home. And is it possible to say he would be here, if he wasn't first there?"

"It was fate these powers found us. All of us. What I did was turn on the light, so fate didn't have to stumble around in the dark anymore." She wheels on Konnie, "Not a month ago you banished a demon general back to hell. Stories like that have legs. Is it possible to say you would have been in position to save--countless people--if your bar hadn't burned down? If you didn't need to leave the city for a while?"

"But that's the past. And the future?" She says to Sherry, "You know that already, sweetie. I'm giving people the tools they need to fix the world."

I can think of some rolls that could be made to give yourself some edge in this scene in a variety of ways.

xian fucked around with this message at Aug 27, 2016 around 04:59

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Konnie
1/3 refresh

Now, Konnie was trying to be cool calm and collected here. For Nat's sake if not her own. And Naroa was right on a few things. Because of what she did, they met Ryan and got him into a much better place with his life. Because of what she did, Gypsy Widow had to go on tour and doing that influenced a lot of people for the better. People with powers. And Konnie did destroy that demon as much as one can do with beings like that. Even the Wodnik noticed her power growing after that. She had done a lot of good, a lot of growing in that time away. Perhaps all because of fate, definitely all because of an influence Naroa had. After a fashion, Konnie and Meg and Sherry and Jules and Eliza had a lot to thank Naroa for. She pushed them out of their comfort zone and it made a lot of good happen in the world.

But Konnie also had poor impulse control. And anger issues.

"Fate? You tried to loving kill us!" Konnie screams, her voice roiling in rage, jumping up and making a grab for the scruff of Naroa's jacket. "You tried to kill everybody in that loving bar!"

Invoking my trouble (Punch. Drunk.) and forceful +4 for a total of +6 on grabbing Naroa and ruffling her feathers a bit.

[5:29pm] Robodog: !r 4df+6
[5:29pm] Krysmbot: Robodog, -//-+6 = 4

Pretty bad roll! I'll burn another point and re-roll it.

[5:34pm] Robodog: !r 4df+6
[5:34pm] Krysmbot: Robodog, +/--+6 = 5
[5:34pm] Robodog: hahaha

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Sherry

"I don't think that logic worked in Pee-Wee's Big Adventure either, though we did get a cool playhouse out if it too. Sweetie."

Timing is everything. Especially when you're too wrapped up in yourself to notice the nearby water goddess swiftly coming to boil.

"Konnie!" Sherry jolts to her feet and scrambles past the table, grabbing for her friend's shoulders.

"Kon! If you make her look sympathetic, we're going to look like the heavies to these people she's dragged along, and anybody who watches a phone clip on Youtube. C'mon. Please."

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at Aug 28, 2016 around 22:18

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I wasn't supposed to
Discover data I could use
Where did it come from
A simple look, a tender touch

Jules

At that moment, Jules returns from the bathroom and his face takes on the strange expression of someone who's just realized he's about to walk into a nest of hornets, particularly as Konnie goes for Naroa. For his part, he took advantage of the Meg Warp Clothing Collection service and he's looking far more like himself than he had been just a few hours previous with Meg's parents.

That was a different type of hornet nest. It's been a weird day.

"Woah, woah, woah!" Jules says, moving with Sherry to try and stop things from exploding out of control. "This isn't the time or the place, Konnie. Don't give her what she wants!"

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

"If I was trying to kill a nightclub full of people, someone would have died." Naroa says coolly. "I wasn---"

And then Konnie lunges for her. Or, more accurately, Konnie lunges to where Naroa was. She's not there, and she's not where Konnie lunges on the second and third attempts. Each time, Naroa is somehow just out of reach, too fast, or too something. Konnie struggles for balance after each lunge. On the third one, Naroa finally causes Konnie to stumble to a knee, "I did manipulate you," she concedes, "And destroy something dear to you. But I promise, Konnie, it will continue to prove its worth." And then Naroa offers her hand to help Konnie up. And Konnie's the only one who can see the flash of a smirk on her face.

At least it wasn't caught on tape. (It wasn't).

What's everybody doing?

xian fucked around with this message at Aug 30, 2016 around 04:52

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Konnie

They were right. Even Jules. This was just giving Naroa what she wanted, rising up to her and looking like an overly aggressive bitch. It probably just proved Naroa's point to her gaggle of followers, that these sheriffs were just a bunch of hardasses who would just as soon beat up an innocent powered person as listen to them at all. Or something like that. Who knew what her plans were, stupid cat bitch. And Konnie fell for it hook, line, and sinker. Took the bait like a frog eating a fly. This was the wrong move, one hundred percent. Sherry was right. Jules was right. Just stop it now, before things get out of hand.

But was she going to listen to them? No.

Was she going to listen to anything Naroa said at this point? No, probably not.

Was it a certainty that she was always just going to look like a fool trying to grab Naroa? Definitely.

Was she going to accept her hand up? Konnie would sooner die.

"Ugh!" Konnie makes a very loud and very angry and very disgruntled grunt, before exploding into a huge puff of steam. The mist cloud rising up quickly, and soon disappears. To those with normal eyes, it just looked like Konnie disappeared in a puff of water. To Konnie, she was just going to get out of that situation before she actually started a real fight. Maybe she could find Nat and apologise for ever bringing here here.

Konnie is turning into a sneak cloud and loving off back to the arboretum!

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

A few minutes after Konnie gets there, Nat calls out, "Hey, you in here?" But Konnie doesn't see where Nat is.

~~~

Naroa stands looks around after Konnie disappears and half-shrugs when Liana says, "You didn't need to do that."

"I think I did." Naroa replies.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Konnie

Konnie half thinks about not answering. Just have alone time stewing in anger over that cat bitch. But that would be a total dick move. She's the one who brought Nat here, she couldn't just dump her and storm off in a prissy huff. She had to be responsible.

"…yeah." Konnie answers, her voice much like it was when she recorded the vocals for Steph and Nat's ambient song thing. Mist slowly descends from on high, it was well camouflaged with the slight humidity of the green house arboretum thing. Then it starts to coalesce together, slowly forming a figure of a ticked off Konnie sitting down next to some large lilies. "Yeah, I'm here Nat." She solidifies.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

"Sorry she played you like that." Nat says, stepping out from behind a tree. She walks over and sits down next to Konnie, "hopefully it'll be as obvious to them as it was to me."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Konnie

"Oh, you saw that?" Konnie vaguely sounds like Nat caught her doing something totally shameful, like being out of character and petting a kitty or being al sweet to her buscha. "Man, you're really good with your powers Nat. I had no idea." Kon forces a little bit of a smile, lightly bumping into her erstwhile bandmate with her shoulder after she sits down. Then she sighs, snapping off the top of one of the lilies and twisting it around in her hand.

"That's Naroa's whole thing." Konnie explains in a low voice, not wanting to be overheard. But there is still a streak of anger through it. "She just needles you in the right place while being a cool cat." She explains. "An actual cat. You know my thing came from a frog? She's the same, except she is the frog. And the frog is a cat." Konnie pauses at just how stupid it sounds, shaking her head. "She's super old, she and Liana have beef going way back. She and jump in portals or something, really good at fighting, and is a massive bitch with a whole head full of plans that somehow make trying to get all of us killed in a fire sound good." Konnie snarls, angrily tossing the flower away.

"They probably won't see it. She's tricky and manipulative and always gets her way no matter how many people get hurt." Konnie turns to actually look Nat in the eyes. But just for a fleeting moment, then she returns to staring down at her shoes. "I shouldn't have twisted your arm an' made you come today. That was a total gently caress up, girl. You don't need to see or deal with any of this poo poo." She apologises. "You should have just stayed home and out of all this like you wanted to."

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

"Yeah, I saw it." Nat says, "I think they'll see it. I hope they'll see it. You weren't the only person who was seething in that room. Ryan was about to cause a power outage and the air around Liana had this energy I've never even felt before."

"Thanks for the apology, but I'm not mad I came. This place is amazing, and... those people Naroa brought in... they need our help. Hopefully she'll gently caress off, at least for a while...if she wanted to hurt us, she would hurt us. And we can help them. I know how scared they probably are."

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Sherry

"'Kay." Sherry brings her hands together in one of those barely-there, corporate claps, and holds them together as she walks toward the group of people Naroa's dragged in. "I'm not interested in fighting with anyone, or arguing the finer points of cause and effect, so... Hi."

She smiles and bows slightly to the group. "We weren't expecting you yet, but yes, you're still perfectly welcome here. Feel free to help yourself at the commissary. Bathrooms are right around the corner, there. If this is all too much to handle, we have an infirmary and some meditation rooms where you can get an Advil or have some time to yourself."

A little while passes while Sherry reads faces, narrowing her eyes slightly at one in particular. Something about that one. No matter. She takes a deep breath and tips her head toward them. "And if this is just too drat much, I understand. Nobody really wants dream logic to keep working when you're awake, especially if it's a bad dream's. So, if anyone just wants to get out of here, I can take you to the exit, and I understand. I can't promise the door will be in the same place if you come back --if this place has a doorbell, it probably plays the James Bond theme or something-- but I can give you my card."

"I'd ask everyone to keep this place under their hats, but I know how that sounds to my ears. So, act according to your conscience... and that just sounds awkward."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Konnie

She can't help but laugh. "Yeah. Ryan's almost as much of a hothead as I am. But there's some personal beef there too. He hates her for basically lying to him, using him as a tool to get what she wanted and almost leaving him to die." Konnie shrugs. "You know, the kinda thing she always does all the time because she's a tricky cat bitch." She raises an eyebrow. "Huh. Well, yeah." She shrugs again. "That's Liana's whole thing too, I guess. Always super calm and in control. The eye of the storm. And the rest of the storm is, like, her sword and all the dudes she cuts with it."

Kon smiles a little. Hearing that Nat wasn't mad even after Naroa crashed the party. "Well, I still feel bad. This was meant to be a gentle introduction to this poo poo. Not diving head first in the deep end." The frog princess did like her water analogies. "Yeah, she has some plan but hosed if I know what it is. But you're right, Nat. Those people there looked clueless. They need to be here and to have someone guide them." She waits a second. "How about it? You're in the deep end already, and you can relate to exactly how they feel right now. Want to come help?"

"…once Naroa is gone."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Meg

Rather belatedly, Meg finally jumps up. "gently caress it, finding Konnie," the speedster says, and marches off....at a good clip, but not warp speed.

"Kon!?" Meg calls out. Her voice echoes through the conservatory. Once she's not shouting, she can hear some voices, and heads that way.

"Hey Nat," she says, a vague dismissiveness in her tone.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Konnie

"Cat bitch gone yet, Meg?"

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Meg

"No, still there, least when I left."

Meg turns and sits next to Konnie, just about ignoring Nat. "Thought it was cats that hated water."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Konnie

"We'll be waiting here a bit longer then, Nat." Kon turns her head and smiles, very much not ignoring Nat. And totally oblivious to Meg blanking said Nat.

"Maybe she hates water so much that she had to avoid letting me grab her at all costs." She shrugs.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Meg

Meg scoots in a bit closer to Konnie. "Maybe," Meg says, kicking her leg oddly, then tilting her head. "Kinda glad you didn't start a fight. Kinda disappointed. Wouldda been nice to throw down, but with the newbies," she shoots a smile at Nat, then takes a deep breath. "Y'ever think she's not all bad?" Meg suggests, ready to bolt away it Konnie gets slappy. "Maybe she had reasons. It's not like we know a ton about all this." Meg sighs, and stretches her arms upward. "I still know *squat* about the space thingy. Even if we need to totally kick Naroa's as....gotta learn about your enemy, right?"

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Konnie

She laughs. "You know what happened to that demon that got into your brain. If I really wanted to fight there would have been a fight." She smiles. "It was more me just wanting to punch her in her smug loving face. Not that that even worked out, but hey." She sighs. "No, you're right. Nat said the same thing. Starting off fighting with all these people new to powers would have been a dumb loving move." Kon looks to Nat. "Shouldn't have done it."

Konnie doesn't get slappy, but she does get her Death Glare on. "Meg, I electrocuted myself and got half turned to steam putting some of that fire out. I don't care if Naroa is secretly Mother Teresa Ghandi Tutu Dali Lama, she's on my poo poo list." The way she said it, there would be next to no chance of swaying her from that. "Liana seems to know all about her. We could ask her?" Konnie suggests with a shrug. "But I'm not sure figuring out the powers stuff will help all that much. I mean, the magic frog told me everything about mine and I'm still loving clueless."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Meg

Meg makes a face. Yeah, that did suck, and the face is pretty drat super smug.

"Could," Meg says. "I get it, having her show up here is like....I dunno, having Will show up." Meg leans in against Konnie and throws an arm around her, smiles at Nat. "Hey, when you're ready for Naroa-beatdown, let me know, just...not here, right? Pissing off Liana would just get us on the poo poo list and...." Meg thinks of an immediate analogy, one rather uncomfortable. "poo poo, she's like my parents. Gotta keep them not-actively-pissed-off with me or I'm transferring to Northern Idaho Community College."

"Man, Jules really got in with my parents. Might have to dump him."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Konnie

Band solidarity was a beautiful thing, Konne can't help but smile. "Thanks for having my back, guys. No more fighting Naroa here, promise." She throws an arm back around Meg, and presuming Nat hasn't used her powers to disappear Kon throws her other arm around her too. "You're the best. Seriously. I don't say that enough. But I wouldn't be here if I didn't have you two supporting me. You rock."

But then, the shocking revelation. "Jules what? Nobody gets along with your parents. They suck. Totally dump him." Konnie wasn't trying to be mean, but it was a fact. "Was he mind controlling them?"

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Meg

A good hug across Konnie's shoulders. "Lemme know when and we can jump her in the alley," Meg says with a huge grin. "Eh, I've been kind of lovely myself," Meg says, her grin going to frown in record time. "Just dealing with my own poo poo, and...honest, I don't really get half your magic frog stuff." Meg shrugs, her face looking dejected. "I should care more it just makes my brain hurt." A deep breath. "Maybe," comes a perkier response. "But...I dunno, that's not really him. So probably not." She bites her lip and humphs. "But I still like him!"

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Konnie

"Hey, we managed to punch a demon in the dick. Naroa ain't no problem." Kon smiles back, though hopefully Meg wouldn't get ahead of herself and actually try to jump Naroa. Because they'd just get their asses kicked something rotten. "Dude, no, you're great. Stop it." Konnie insists. "Getting half of my poo poo is still way more than we know about yours. Or why Nat suddenly got some too. Seriously. Meggles. Nat-Attack. As long as you get the 'a magic frog gave me powers' bit then you're good."

"You got soft and chewy in the middle, Meg." Konnie just shakes her head. "You used to dump guys who liked your parents. That was, like, number two on Meg's List of Reasons to Dump a Guy."

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Naroa seems pleased by Sherry's response, and vanishes at some point in the middle of it. Once Sherry is done talking, a few people look like they have questions, but the young girl speaks first, "What do we do?" She asks, earnestly, "Like... I don't want to go around hiding. But I also don't want to be bad. Or hurt people?" A few murmurs and nods from the people around her, "But people at school are gonna be so scared of me..."

~~~

"Yeah," Nat says, "Seeing this place, and seeing you and Sherry and everyone... doing your best? Makes me feel like I'd be using my power for the worst reasons if all I did was use it to run from my problems. Or things that are hard. Or scary. Even if that's what I really really want to do."

When Meg comes in, Nat does fade into the background, but not supernaturally. Ex girlfriend and best friend -- that's some complicated chemistry right there. She doesn't move, but also lets them have their back and forth.

"Whatever she's doing, she's doing so that more and more people with powers start popping up. I think I'm one of 'em." Nat adds after the back and forth peters out.

Konnie and Meg can both sense Naroa's absence once it happens.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Konnie

Kon smirks. "Trying our best, maybe. No way I'm actually doing my best, but the effort's there." Along with the sleepless nights, bruises and mild emotional trauma. "Trust me Nat, there have been times where I've just wanted to gently caress off out of here too. A lot of times. This stuff is totally insane, I really couldn't hold it against you at all if you just stayed away from all of this." She tells her, honest and true. "But trying is at least helping out people who need it. That's a good thing, right? I know for me, I'd hate myself more for not trying then all the aggravation trying gives me." She smiles.

It wasn't that Konnie wanted to totally ignore Nat, she tried to keep her talking too, it was just when Meg was in the room all eyes turn to the redhead. It was a law of physics at this point, if you didn't on your own then she'd make you do it. Nat gets a few sympathetic looks when Kon has a short break in the rapid fire conversation she and Meg had, but by and large it was totally Meg time.

"What?" Konnie has to give Nat a blank stare for a few moments while she processes this. "No that's… people shouldn't have this stuff forced on them out of nowhere. It's… it's really hard and difficult and nobody should have to deal with it if they don't want to. I've only just got used to the frog stuff, Meg still doesn't know what the space thingy did exactly. Nat, you would have been in so much trouble if you didn't have me here to help." Kon points out. "And she just wants to make people have more powers? Or give them powers? No, that's not right. Even besides that, what happens when so many people have it that it becomes like a loving comic book movie?"

Kon looks up into nothing, her FrogEyes™ seeing something. "…I think Naroa's gone?" She looks to Meg and Nat for confirmation or not. "Come on, let's get back to the others." Konnie gets up, reaching out both hands to help Natalie get to her feet.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Nat's face screws into an offended expression, "Hey, I'd... figure it out eventually. You all did!"

Meg, Konnie, and Nat arrive right as the tween girl says, "...but people at school are gonna be so scared of me..."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Konnie

"We didn't figure anything out! That was all Liana! And we still pretty much have no loving idea what we're doing here!"

Then upon hearing the tween express her fears, she turns to Nat and Meg and whispers. "See! So not fair."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Meg

"Did I?" Meg asks, giving her tummy a poke. Meg looks up from Konnie over to Nat, who's been fairly quiet. Did Meg break Konnie and Nat up? Not strictly, Meg knows, even if it seemed Konnie would put her above Nat before. Well, best friend! Meg briefly considers why she never just made out with Nat. The sudden departure of Naroa interrupts her, though. "Feels like, "Meg agrees, popping up to her feet and moving on after the other two.

"Who's scared of what?" Meg asks. A quick red blur as she jumps to warp and swings in next to the girl.

• Locked thread
«15 »