Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Jules

Jules lets out a long 'whoof' of air as he finds something to sit on. Drumming. How'd he end up drumming? He has no musical talent and, really, the only thing probably keeping him in rhythm and on cue is the rather 'energetic' encouragement of Konnie.

Well, that and telekinesis.

In either case, Jules is the drummer, so, he's not very flashy - and he's fine not being flashy, leave the bright red catsuits to Meg. That's more her thing. Jules just rocks the all black get-up and eyeliner.

That and a ridiculous tattoo on his chest, hidden by his singlet, that Konnie assured him was a good idea.

"Sherry's right," Jules says, "We all did great. Konnie, chuck us a bottle of water?" He'll catch it with telekinesis and, for a moment, he just watches Meg toying with Konnie's bass. A little smirk quirks across his face and he send a certain thought to Meg. Probably something about the catsuit and her body. Yep, telepathic flirting.

pre:
Approaches:

Careful      [+3]
Clever       [+3]
Flashy       [+1]
Forceful     [+4]
Powers       [+4]
Quick        [+2]
Sneaky       [+2]

Refresh: 3/3

Aspects:

High Concept Protector (Drive)
- Invoke: Warm and Personable, Honest Face, Keeping Watch,
- Compel: Hotheaded, The Group is in Danger!, Meg First, Stubborn

Jules is a good dude at heart, all in all. He just has that look about him and he's able to fit 
in anywhere as a warm, friendly presence. He's also quite adept at keeping watch over the group 
when they're performing, on the road, or having a night out. Unfortunately, it's probably clear 
that if the group seems like it's going to get introuble, Jules will be the first to step up - 
partially out of obligation to his friends and partially because of a bit of fire. Speaking of 
the group, Jules learned longago that if it's a choice between Konnie and the others and Meg, 
well, you don't piss off your super-speed, force-field projecting, 'I know Kung Fu' girl. Do 
you know how hard it is to find things when someone can hide them at the speed of light? 
Hint: it's very.

Origin ???
- Invoke: Slips Under the Radar,
- Compel: Solve the Mystery!, I've Been Having These Nightmares...,

Jules' powers are a weird enigma. He woke up and he had them, like someone flicked a switch. 
While it bothers Jules because everyone else seems to know how they came to be, it also grants 
him a certain degree of freedom, allowing him to occasionally slip through any superpowered nets 
or so forth. Unfortunately, nature abhors a vacuum and Jules hates mysteries, particularly when 
they concern himself.

Trouble You Think Too Much
- Invoke: Analysing Situations, Performing Action Research
- Compel: The Voice of Reason, Self-Doubt, To Prove Myself,

If Jules has a significant flaw, it's that he thinks too much. He's aware that he's something 
of an enigma and that gets under his skin. This can be a boon - if you need something analysed 
or something figured out on the fly, Jules can do it. However, Jules is frequently a stick in 
the mud (Wait a second, guys, let's think about this!) and prone to doubting his ability to 
contribute to the band.

Signature Power Meta-Absorption
- Invoke: Stealing Through Touch,
- Compel: Not Quite Controllable, Limited Duration (24 hours approx.), 

If there's a power that makes Jules a hazard, it's the fact that he steals powers through touch. 
While he is aware of it and won't steal powers from people like Konnie or Meg unknowingly, there 
is always the chance that he slips up and takes them from someone he has just met through a 
handshake or something of that nature (like the time he stole X-Ray vision and wondered why 
everyone was having naked breakfast without a care in the world). On the plus side, Jules only
seems to keep hold of those powers for a limited duration - approximately twenty four hours - 
although Jules believes there might be the possibility of retaining them permanently.

Aspect Telekinesis
- Invoke: Gestures Help, Limited Flight, Mental Manhandling,
- Compel: Mind Over Matter?, Can Only Bend the Laws,

Jules can move things with his mind and may be a power he picked up years before he realised it. 
Whatever the particular reason, Jules can move things without actuallytouching them and being 
able to gesticulate makes the whole process easier. He's even been able to give himself a limited 
form of flight. However, Jules' self-doubt inhis own capabilities means that he might falter when 
lifting something particularly big. Also, he's generally found that the faster something is 
moving, the more difficultit is to redirect or stop. He is, however, quite good at throwing people 
around.

Aspect Telepathy
- Invoke: Line-of-Sight Helps, Memory Medic, Scope Through the Crowds,
- Compel: Always On, I Need to Focus!, Mental Feedback

Jules is a telepath. Much like telekinesis, whether it's related to his meta-vacuum or is
entirely different is unknown. In either, Jules has proven adept at sifting through mental
blocks and damaged memories as a form of mental relief. He's also quite good at sifting 
through the mental buzz of a crowd to try and track down someone in particular - even over 
vast distances! Line of sight is a direct boon to his ability, particularly eye contact. 
However, the background noise can be a source of distraction - particularly if he hears 
something he shouldn't - and when dealing with telepathic neurosurgery there of course 
needs to be a certain amount of mental fortitude. It also means Jules' mood can fluctuate 
based on the people around him if it's not careful - if they are angry, he'll pick up on 
the background 'feedback'.

Aspect Tougher Than He Looks
- Invoke: Minor Regeneration, Still Standing,
- Compel: Leave It To Me!,

Jules is one of those lucky people who, through random luck or genetic lottery, he's 
never been sick. Perhaps some of it is owed to the remnants of a regenerative meta-power 
he  picked up from an old friend, or perhaps it is entirely mundane. Because of this, 
Jules is hard to keep down. The problem is, Jules might take on burdens and work when he's
 already quite burdened!

Stunts:

Stunt The Forgotten Man
Jules used to exist in New York City, and now he doesn't. People at the local college 
don't remember him and his details don't even exist in the student database. Or any 
database. It was like he woke up one day and everything and everyone had just... forgotten 
about him. Because of this strange effect, Jules can escape notice of bystanders or have 
records 'vanish' once per scene.

Stunt See the Unseen
Since the encounter with a mysterious shadow-person, Jules has felt a bit different, like he's 
more aware of the secrets that most people keep hidden. Once per scene, Jules can focus his 
telepathy and his mysterious origin and glimpse something hidden about something or someone 
within eyesight - major or minor!

Stunt I Know This!
As a (former) liberal arts student and general band handyperson, Jules is a wealth of potentially 
useful information and skills. Once per scene, Jules can assist with a task at a relatively 
competent level.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Jules

As the water bottle is sent in his vague direction, Jules raises a hand and, with a brief gesture, sets the water bottle on a path to whirl around his head and into his waiting hand. Show-off.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Jules

Jules splutters a bit of water from his lips and face, shooting Konnie a look. "Thanks, Kon," he says dryly.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Jules

Water still dropping down his face, looking over at Meg, Jules says: "I could really go for some nice hot..."

He clears his throat. "Tea. Tea is what I was thinking of, yes. Thanks, Eliza."

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Jules

Jules just shrugs at Konnie's 'tacky' comment. It's a shrug that says 'and?'

He takes a moment to loop his arms around Meg's middle. "I'm up for getting hammered and partying," Jules says, "Liberty bell or no liberty bell."

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Jules

"...unless tail is a a metaphor for 'butt'."

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Jules

Jules goes 'oof' at Meg's nudge and then grins at her. "I don't know. It kind of made more sense in my head." He shrugs, gathering up Konnie's bass and Eliza's kettle. "I'll just get these loaded into the van. Back in a bit."

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Jules

"I've got good news and bad news," Jules says as he returns, finding a spot next to Meg. "Good news is that we didn't get a parking ticket. Bad news is that we're still calling it The Frogger. I guess I'd be up for an art gallery party? I mean, it's be a first."

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Jules

Jules purses his lips at the sights of the gallery. Sherry's surprise sandwich was good, though, and he polished that off on the car ride over. He doesn't comment on the mirror-scale dress, really, because he's fairly sure that way lies disaster. He's dressed himself up in some nice denim jeans, black leather jacket and a fairly stylish button down shirt. At this party, he could just be anyone. He sticks with the group, however, and continues looking around at the models of dubious age, the flat out bizarre art, that blouse that looks like something Ferris Bueller would wear, the yarn sculpture and the two twins by the bar who might have powers that allow them to influence people but they also might not because Jules is keeping his telepathy fairly controlled. There's only a vague mental background susurrus of art appreciation.

All in all, he's already bored.

He shrugs and turns to look at Meg. "Want to go make out and see if people think it's art?"

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Aug 2, 2014

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Jules

"What? It probably would've worked." And it wouldn't have been hard to nudge a few minds in that direction if they were already going 'hmm, yes' over a painting a few meters over to the left.

Jules shrugs, following Konnie and Meg over to the bar. Meg goes next to Konnie, he goes next to Meg. There's an order to things. "Just a beer, thanks," Jules says, and then looks from the bartender to Meg at the mention of space thingy. And then it's because she saw twins and Jules just nods and accepts it because that's Meg.

He resists the urge to reach out and telepathically poke them while Konnie and Meg hold a brief philosophical talk on the nature of twins. "I'm not sure about a foursome," Jules says, idly, "I mean, we barely know them... Anyways, I could give 'em a bit of a telepathic once-over. But they're probably just twins, babe."

Eliza's taking care of it anyways. Jules leans back and takes a drink. Life is good.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Jules

"It's just reading emotions and surface thoughts. Stuff you can already tell if you know body language and whatever," Jules replies. "But using my Frog Eyes on other people is tooootalllly different," Jules counters, with a Konnie impression that is only marginally better than the one she did of him.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Jules

Jules looks at Konnie over the top of his glass of beer. "I know that a wrass is a fish. Just so we're clear on that."

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Jules

"Well, yeah. I thought it might've been some sort of foreign swear word," Jules says.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Jules

"Huh," Jules says.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Jules

Jules just nods at Meg. "Yeah," he says, skipping past her talk about Konnie, "I did. The one Eliza is talking to has some sort of mental power - like a happiness aura. Might be emotional control on a wider level, might not be - always hard to tell. Anyways, her name is Luna. I'm getting nothing from the other except her name - Lyra."

He shrugs a bit, takes a drink from his beer. "Not sure how it relates to Konnie's dolphin talk."

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Jules

"She's got some sort of emotion influencing power," Jules Meg-translates for Konnie's benefit. "And, yeah, looking at Eliza, I'm going to say that that is what's happening. Might be trouble, might not."

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Jules

Jules shrugs. "I'm getting nothing from her. So, that's either really good or really bad. She might not have a power, she might have one that lets her be all neural like that or she can hide it somehow. Can't tell."

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Jules

Jules, who has emerged out of the crowd with a beer in each hand, finds himself somewhat separated from the group! Let's see... Meg's picking a fight with modern art, that's my girl; Eliza is - quick mental tap - talking about fashion; Konnie's got a bee in her bonnet about dolphins (Jules thinks this is something he should care about but, heck, he's two beers in); and Sherry's chatting up some dude about paintings.

Everything is fine. He takes a big drink from his beer and stares at the ball of yarn, as if contemplating it.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Jules

Jules makes his way over to Meg, passing her a beer. "Hey, let's try to avoid breaking anything," he says with a little grin. "Or shouting expletives across the hall. Didn't know balls of yarn could be so dangerous - you okay?"

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Jules

Jules blinks. You arrogant what?

Oh, she means someone else. He turns and follows Meg, ready to either smooth things over or pick up the pieces.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Jules

"Hey, you've got it," Jules says, passing the drink over. "Let's go track down Konnie."

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Jules

"I think she's making out with a dolphin, actually," Jules replies, just letting that statement stand on its own.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Jules

"Working on it," Jules quietly murmurs in response to Meg. He looks back in the direction of the suited man, like he's about to say something, before he turns away, one arm around Meg, like they're just deciding to wander off towards their friends. He uses that moment of brief eye contact to poke into the guy's head with his ability, scoping around for whether he drove here - and someone in a suit like that probably drove here, or was driven here - and for where he keeps his keys.

Or, y'know, for anything else that might seem of particular interest. Payback's a bitch.

He can get to scanning the dolphin-lady in another second or two.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Jules

With a thought, Jules passes the information he had just gleaned from Liam's mind over to Meg. "Got it," he says, in answer to her earlier queries. Easy as pie.

He turns his eyes on the woman that Konnie is talking with, and gives her a cursory telepathic scan as well, to see if she has any intention of harming Konnie or otherwise doing anything untoward!

"So," Jules asks Meg, "What's the plan?"

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Jules

Jules raises his next glass in Liam's direction, and replaces Meg's beer with another as well. Mmm-mmm! There's nothing more fulfilling than a good, cold beer. Particularly one that tastes like revenge. Best served cold indeed.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Jules

Meg has somehow managed to comment on her drink, take her drink, pass it back to him and then get halfway across the room before Jules takes a full breath. "Works for me!" he calls over to Meg.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Jules

"Huh? Why?"

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Jules

"Hey, last time we had this discussion you said it was my job to load the van. I'm not sure what job this is."

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Jules

Jules shrugs. "Can't prove that," he says, and passes over the cards.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Fine with it. Work's had me a bit inundated and I've been forgetting to post!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Jules

As much as Meg and Sherry might insist it, Jules doesn't snore. That's practically slander. He's a telepath, he'd know if he was snoring!

Still, he wakes up without a headache although with his hair quite disheveled but, after a walk and a coffee, he's pretty much back to fighting shape, sitting in the front seat, hands on the wheel. He's a pretty decent driver. That one time he got booked doesn't count.

He goes to open his mouth and suggest that Meg could maybe run there ahead of time, but she says she's not doing that. Well, it seemed like a good idea. "Besides, if we're late," Jules says, tapping his forehead with a finger, "This can help us out. But imagine if one of us could teleport. Wouldn't need a van."

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Jules

Sure, it might be more difficult to park the Frogger with Meg grabbing one of his hands in her own, but when you can use your brain to set it into reverse or move the steering wheel, it's not as difficult as it might otherwise be. "Konnie," he says, "Have you tried focusing on the road while you try and figure out how to sense police officers at the same time - before you can see them? It ain't easy."

Jules hops out of the van, stretches. "And I'm not really the frat sort, either. Need a hand shifting anything, babe?" Jules asks Meg.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Jules

Jules is very careful with those laces. After all, if it's his duty, there'll only be one person to blame if Meg takes a nosedive into the stage during her energetic solo. With that done, there's a big kiss for luck before they head out on stage, and Jules settles into his position with the drum kit. Oh, and he tugs his shirt off, too. Yeah, those are some ridiculous gun tats that Konnie once told him were a great idea - but they help. He raises his hands and sticks as Meg yells out her welcome. He nods to Konnie - steady rhythm, nice and in the background.

And so, that's what he sets out to do - hit it!

+3 Careful on Tougher Than He Looks to get that rhythm going and not screw up!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Jules

Jules, for his part, plays steadily and without much fanfare. After all, it wouldn't do any good if he were to screw up and make a mistake. He keeps a bit of a drum beat going when required, throwing in one or two extra hits if it seems fitting, but, other than that, sticks to the songs as they are meant to be played. He leaves the showmanship up to Meg and Konnie. He tries to avoid relying too much on any of his powers to make his drumming work and instead relies on his sense of rhythm. It should work. And, besides, with this audience, it's not like they'd be particularly cognizant if something goes wrong.

It's not like there's any big drum solos.

Right?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Jules

Jules takes a moment to brush some of the sweat from his forehead, electing that discretion is the better part of valor. There only person who might get away with picking a fight with Konnie about the performance of the band is Meg. It's her area. Jules just gives her a nod, albeit a sincere one. He'll work on it. For now, though, he props himself up against a wall, scooping up a bottle of water, and basks in the mental noise of the crowd. He cracks open one eye at the mention of a house party. "If Konnie's going to do a keg stand," he says, "I think that's something I have to see."

Glancing at Sherry, Jules says: "Man, we nailed that whole selling merch thing, hey? Nice work. It's looking like a decent gig so far."

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

God drat it, Jules.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Jules

The party's not so bad, really. Jules even starts to like it once he gets a beer or two into him. Initially, people don't even recognise him as the drummer - Konnie, Meg, Eliza and Sherry kind of make more of an impact at a party like that. Shirt off, ridiculous gun tattoos on display, Jules get suckered into a keg stand which probably comes close to killing him, really, and Konnie completely wipes the floor with him... before or after, he's not sure which. Still, between the beer and the telepathic buzz of all the party goers, it's pretty easy for Jules to fall into an easy partying rhythm. Then there's the dance floor, and some drunken telekinetics pulls off some pretty impressive leans and slides. And then he's suckered into a corner with Meg - has to be, going by the hair - and, from there, the rest of the night is something of a blur.

But it's a good blur.

Wake up, yawn, prod Meg to get up. Shuffle his way through breakfast, wake up properly by opening his mind to the local area for a moment. It hits him like a truck and fires enough awareness into him to shake off the last traces of sleep. His head's a bit sore but he's not in any danger of being sick. Luck, alcohol tolerance, or he vomited it all up into someone's rose bushes on the way home.

He's not sure what rhymes with hangover. Can opener?

No, that sucks. That's why he doesn't write lyrics.

Still, Jules isn't the sort of take his eyes off the road. As he takes the turn, however, the van goes thump and Jules is hit by that sudden chill of realising that something has gone horribly wrong, and it could all be his fault.

But how?

"poo poo," Jules murmurs, after he's managed to pull the van off to the side and park it. "poo poo." He rubs his fingers into this scalp and brow, thinking.

Everyone's shouting which, all in all, is pretty reasonable.

"Is everyone okay? We hit something," Jules remarks, calling back. "I don't think it was a cyclist or anything - I'm not feeling anything like that."

What'd he hit? It surely can't be a person - he'd be able to tell! It could be an animal, but even then he should be getting something more than nothing from it. And an animal to make a sound like that? It'd have to be a pretty big animals! He would have seen it. Surely he would have seen it.

"Let me check," Jules says, and he hops out of the driver's seat to go see what he hit. Don't let it be a person, don't let it be someone's pet, don't let it be anything...

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Jules

"Maybe because you came out of nowhere and ran into our car?" Jules asks, ignoring what little he can hear from the inside of the Frogger. He glances around, looking for telltale signs of a vehicle - a scooter, a motorcycle, something. Or did they just walk out into traffic? "It's a main road-" he begins, but is quickly cut off by the arrival of someone.

And then Sherry is there. That's good. Let's see about the ambulance. For a moment, Jules looks to Sherry and subtly 'casts in her direction: 'Am I the only one getting some sorta super-stuff off these two?'

Classic Jules, really. Never quite gave up on that idea of doing Great Things with his powers.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

IRL's kicking me around a bit, post coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Jules

"Konnie, let's not get people eaten by a starfish, whatever that means," Jules says, raising his hands. "Meg, let's not get suckered into the schemes of some sort of con-artist with powers. Everything's sorted, right? Everyone's good? Let's get back in the van and get moving. Sound good?"

• Locked thread