Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
azren
Feb 14, 2011

Those flash boots keep reminding me of the Zero Shift in the Zone of the Enders games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

...and then he eats the body, but they always cut out the spoon scene.

Teslagrad, #5 - The Factory

We got something like 9 cards in this update, so they're really starting to fill out a picture now. We've got 23 out of 36.

Smite fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 9, 2014

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

I'm a bit disappointed that this game is more of a twitch platformer than a metroidvania, but it's still really well put together.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

D_W posted:

I'm a bit disappointed that this game is more of a twitch platformer than a metroidvania, but it's still really well put together.

I rather like that it is, and still has really good, methodical puzzle solving.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Man, this game is really pretty.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Oh man, Card 24. I think I have an idea of where this plot is going now.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

I rather like that it is, and still has really good, methodical puzzle solving.

Yeah! It's just not what I was expecting.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I really like the look and atmosphere of this game, but I already can tell that the platforming would drive me insane, so thanks for playing this for us Smite. Really enjoying the LP.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Nice Tetris background in the cube-to-voltwalker factory.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

Teslagrad, #6 - The Soldier

Smite fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 9, 2014

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The tower makes a bit more sense if it was burned out.

I suppose looking for logic in a platform game's level design is a fool's errand. The story is nicely told, though (even if I do wonder exactly who snuck back in after the pogrom and set up all these handy clockwork theatres).

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Loxbourne posted:

The tower makes a bit more sense if it was burned out.

I suppose looking for logic in a platform game's level design is a fool's errand. The story is nicely told, though (even if I do wonder exactly who snuck back in after the pogrom and set up all these handy clockwork theatres).

That was my first thought after learning the fate of the tower. Why is it all still functioning just fine?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

ViggyNash posted:

That was my first thought after learning the fate of the tower. Why is it all still functioning just fine?

A wizard did it.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I'm really curious how you plan to get one scroll that might be in the next update. Compared to what most of the others ask it's kind of unreasonable.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

It's possible that a few survivors like our father in the opening scene went around finishing those plays. Or maybe the wizards can read the future, based on our character being on some of the scrolls and how prophetic a few of them are. They seem to have set these acts up in advance to play perpetually. As to why the Teslamancers were unable to actually change the future despite clearly knowing that much about their own deaths, I think that <information not found>.

I would like to believe that the tower is so drat hazardous because things everywhere else are malfunctioning, but rationalizing some of these rooms is not really possible.

Justin_Brett posted:

I'm really curious how you plan to get one scroll that might be in the next update. Compared to what most of the others ask it's kind of unreasonable.

There are a few in the upcoming videos that are really difficult to get. I left in some failures to show how much I struggle with them. I'm getting all the scrolls as soon I come across them, there are only 3 that I'll have to backtrack for at some point.

Smite fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Aug 5, 2014

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

ViggyNash posted:

Some kind of self-repair mechanism. Perhaps, like the wizard lightning tree, it is a living thing.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

Teslagrad, #7 - The Race

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Man these wizards are sadists. I think killing them all might be the best thing the king has done.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
How did the non-teleporting, non-magnetic, non punchy red army manage to storm this castle?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Clearly they can use some of that stuff, just look at the fight against Oleg.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Donkringel posted:

How did the non-teleporting, non-magnetic, non punchy red army manage to storm this castle?

A few hundred soldiers, plus a limitless supply of wood, hammers, and nails, could probably solve about 99% of the puzzles in this game. :v:

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

Teslagrad, #8 - The Very Top

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

This game really is very pretty.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation
Well, huh. I wonder what Oleg is up to. I figured he would take the rod, and then we'd see him hurt trying to take on the final boss, he'd give us the rod, and we'd go finish what he had started. Now I'm curious as to what he's up. Well, more curious, I guess, since he's been kind of a mystery the whole game.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Jesus electro wizards who drafted up the design document for this tower?

Also what were these guardians doing when the tower was being invaded!?

For a serious answerable question, can you leap of to the left or right side of the tower? Entirely off it?

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

Minister Robathan posted:

Well, huh. I wonder what Oleg is up to ... guess, since he's been kind of a mystery the whole game.

From the scrolls, it looks like the King recruited Oleg by lying to him about the cause of his family's deaths; that it was the Tesla Wizards' fault the barbarians were rampaging. When Oleg sees the play, he realizes he's been duped, and helped destroy The Boy's people.

Hence why he saves The Boy.

Lots of speculation, and I'm looking forward to how this wraps up!

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

It doesn't even necessarily have to be lying.

The king wages an unsuccessful war against the barbarians. He blames the failure of the war on the magnet wizards refusing to lend their support. Oleg's family is killed by barbarians. The King convinces Oleg that the reason the barbarians were able to kill his family is because the wizards withdrew their support. If you look at things through the lens of the king's propaganda, it makes perfect sense. The barbarians will kill us unless we unite. These fuckers are backing out of the deal. The barbarians continue to run amok in their lands because of these assholes and their stupid tower.

The thing that probably causes Oleg's change of heart is that the play is showing the massacre of the wizards. The wizards all die in the massacre. That means that the only way they could have put together that play is if they already knew in advance what was going to happen. Oleg has to come to terms with the fact that the people he killed, who didn't fight back, knew that he was going to kill them all and still played out their part. Prophecy fucks with people's heads, and can force you to face the harsh truths, that maybe you're the baddie.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Donkringel posted:

For a serious answerable question, can you leap of to the left or right side of the tower? Entirely off it?

I'm curious as well. It looked like it might be possible, where he zapped the metal at the top of the tower, to jump and blink right to get on top of the shaft to the eyeball.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

Bruceski posted:

I'm curious as well. It looked like it might be possible, where he zapped the metal at the top of the tower, to jump and blink right to get on top of the shaft to the eyeball.

Like on the left side, there's a big lightbulb-looking thing blocking it. I never tried too hard to get around it but it seems pretty sealed off.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Captain Bravo posted:

The king wages an unsuccessful war against the barbarians. He blames the failure of the war on the magnet wizards refusing to lend their support. Oleg's family is killed by barbarians. The King convinces Oleg that the reason the barbarians were able to kill his family is because the wizards withdrew their support. If you look at things through the lens of the king's propaganda, it makes perfect sense. The barbarians will kill us unless we unite. These fuckers are backing out of the deal. The barbarians continue to run amok in their lands because of these assholes and their stupid tower.

The thing that probably causes Oleg's change of heart is that the play is showing the massacre of the wizards. The wizards all die in the massacre. That means that the only way they could have put together that play is if they already knew in advance what was going to happen. Oleg has to come to terms with the fact that the people he killed, who didn't fight back, knew that he was going to kill them all and still played out their part. Prophecy fucks with people's heads, and can force you to face the harsh truths, that maybe you're the baddie.

This game has some really nice moments, and I really feel for Oleg now.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Donkringel posted:

Also what were these guardians doing when the tower was being invaded!?

Presumably The Boy doesn't have proper authorisation to be in restricted areas. Eyeball Thing may explain why that rod is still up there, if nobody was willing to go anywhere near it.

EDIT: Oh hey you can see the Wizards unearthing the giant techno-eyeball from the Mayan-like ruins in Card 18. So presumably it's something they kept sitting around so they could figure out how it worked.

Loxbourne fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Aug 16, 2014

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Came for a Smite LP, stayed for your guest commentators. Thank you for showing this game off!

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

Teslagrad, #9 - The Showdown

Time for the big fight!

Also, here's some neat artwork of the grue:

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Brilliant.

When I become a despot I shall juice all my enemies.

Great idea really.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

That was pretty ridiculous.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

Here's something that I'm happy I can finally reveal, my favorite video in this LP:

Teslagrad, #??? - The Teslacat

Psychedelic Eyeball recently did a blind run of the game; I'm adding those to the OP as they come out. There's two out so far. You can see what these bosses are like from the perspective of having to learn them first.

Smite fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 21, 2014

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.
Hello, just in case you were keeping an eye on my blind playthrough, a new update came out today. Yours truly learns to use the boots but doesn't quite remember how they work all that often!

Part 3 - A King's Play (In Two Acts)

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Captain Bravo posted:

Card 3 shows the king recruiting the defeated barbarians into his forces though. Dude successfully defeated and assimilated the barbarians and then figured hey, I have invincible lightning powers, might as well conquer the world or something. He straight-up lies to Oleg when he says the wizards are in league with the barbarians or otherwise responsible for them killing Oleg's parents all while having Oleg work with the people that murdered his family.

In fact, what it boils down is that the king's rise to power is his campaign against the barbarians, only to later use the very same barbarians to subdue his people and maintain his power.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I literally just realized that the cards, as a whole, are not in a contiguous order. I thought that each event was following the first, and so the very first thing that happened was that a tribe of barbarians became civilized, followed by grue taming, followed by etc. etc.

Whoops!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
The question I have though is how did the king become what the hero inevitably fought. One moment he was a regular king dude but somehow after having his forces slaughtered by the barbarians in his attempt to expand, he becomes this blue skinned evil elf looking guy with an albeit very cool crown sword that somehow has teleportation abilities.

• Locked thread