Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

(Last thread with tonnes more stuff in the OP: in the gas chamber. Blame Ralp.)

:shepspends: Next big sale: Summer Sale, almost certainly starting June 22nd.

:siren: Regular Steam maintenance happens 4pm PST on Tuesdays. If Steam goes down around that time, that’s why. Steamstat.us is the website to go to check Steam’s status.
:siren: If you want to join the goon Steam group, post in this thread
:siren: Giveaways, gifting and contests should be done in this thread, since that's always behind the paywall. Feel free to organise 4 packs here, though.
:siren: Game trading goes into this thread, card trading goes into that thread.
:siren: In the big sales, there's no more limited time special discounts, so feel free to go nuts on day one.
:siren: Palpek's big list of good games is in this handy Google document. Have a look if you fancy something new.
:siren: Steamgoons IRC details are over in this brand new thread
:siren: No, G2A are not legit, don't buy from them.

Steam is the premier PC game digital distribution platform. Launched by Valve Software in 2003, it's now become essential for every PC gamer. It removes the need for keeping CDs and licence keys; now you can download your games from the internet in just four or five clicks.

OS: Windows (XP or later), OSX (10.5.8 or later) and Linux (preferred: Ubuntu)
Mobile apps: available for Android & iOS

Recommended websites:
Is There Any Deal tracks the prices of all the videogames from all of the digital distributors. Sign up to get e-mails for when you wishlisted games enter a bundle or reach a record low price.
CheapShark highlights the biggest deals from the main digital distributors on its front page.
SavyGamer is a UK deals site, for those of you who wants a personal touch to your deals.
Steamgifts allows you to raffle off your spares to pubbies.
Can You Run It tells you if your PC should be able to handle the games you want to play.

Recommended programs:
Enhanced Steam is a plug-in for Chrome and Firefox, and it’s :krad:. It highlights games you own, games on your wishlist, how many friends have said game on their wishlist, highlights DRM on games, highlights ongoing bundles, allows you to compare prices across regions, adds a “Empty Basket” button, allows you to add a custom amount of money to your Steam Wallet and a tonne more. Utterly essential. It's now possible to get Enhanced Steam in the Steam client, but it's more than a little clunky.

GameSave Manager backs up game saves. While Steam Cloud is increasingly popular, this little program allows you to backup the save files of nearly all of your PC games to a specific folder, and then allows you to restore the save files automatically. Great for when you’re about to format your PC.

Depressurizer allows you to reorganise your Steam games into categories, instead of using the extremely clunky client interface. User guide is here.

Steam Achievement Manager allows you to fiddle with your Steam Achievements in case they break (or you want to cheat). Made by our very own Gibbed.

TikiOne Steam Cleaner gets rid of the DirectX and similar gubbins Steam insists on downloading. Nice way to get rid of a few megabytes of junk.

Idle Master is an automatic card idling app from the dude behind Enhanced Steam. Saves you from manually checking when you've already got your cards and changing the game you're SAM-idling. Leave this running overnight, and you'll find a pile of cards to sell for Gabe Dollars in the Marketplace. Warning: ruins your time played records, for the two people who care about those.

Other general good apps for all PC users: Keepass saves your passwords securely, Netbalancer allows you to lower network priority to big downloaders (less of an issue since Steam has introduced download limiting), Defraggler defrags your files and hard drives (don’t use on your SSDs, it’s worthless for them) and CCleaner cleans crap off your PC (don’t use the registry cleaner, it’s worthless).

FAQs
I have a problem!
As a general rule, always do the following:
a) If it’s a specific game that’s having problems, right click the problem game > Properties > Local Files > Verify Integrity
b) If that doesn’t work, or if it’s a client issue, shut down Steam, go to the Steam folder, and delete/rename ClientRegistry.blob, then start Steam up again.

How do I un/reinstall Steam without losing my games or settings?
If for whatever reason you need to reinstall Steam (for example, because deleting ClientRegistry.blob doesn't do poo poo for you, or because a Steam Client update has gone horribly, horribly wrong for some reason), or want to uninstall it but save your game files for a future installation of Steam, this is how you do it:

Logout & Exit out of Steam. Make sure its process isn't running anymore by checking with the Task Manager.
Go to where you've installed Steam, the default directories are usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam, C:\Program Files\Steam or C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam.
Move the folders named depotcache, SteamApps and userdata out of the Steam folder. The first folder keeps your pre-load files and information about what you have installed (thanks for the info, gibbed!), the second folder contains all of your downloaded game & source modifications files, the third folder keeps your local copies of Steamworks' Cloud-enabled games' savegames and screenshots, plus stuff like external shortcuts for non-Steam games you've added manually.
You might want to also move the skins folder if you want to keep any custom skins, though if you haven't done any modifications to them you can just reinstall them later. Also, if you want to save any custom files in your Steam folder like custom Grid Icons or any external apps, be sure to move those somewhere else as well.

After that, you have two options. Either you use Steam's uninstaller:
• Click the Windows Start button and select Control Panel
• Open the Add or Remove Programs dialog
• Select Steam from the list and click the Change/Remove button
• Select the Automatic option and click Next
• Click Finish to uninstall Steam
Or, you can manually remove Steam:
• Manually delete all of the remaining contents of your Steam directory. BE SURE THAT YOU'RE NOT DELETING ANYTHING YOU'RE GONNA BE MAD ABOUT LOSING LATER!
• If you need to clean out your Windows Registry (YOU SHOULD KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING), go to Start > Run and type in regedit.
• For 32-bit operating systems:
- In the left-hand column of your registry editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Valve\.
- Right-click on Valve and select Delete.
• For 64-bit operating systems:
- In the left-hand column of your registry editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Valve\.
- Right-click on Valve and select Delete.
• In the left-hand column of your registry editor, navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\Steam.
• Right-click on Valve select Delete.
• Close your Registry Editor.
After that, you can just reinstall Steam and move the "evacuated" folders back to where they belong.

The Steam client seems really slow!
Try this: launch the Control Panel, go to Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings and uncheck “Automatically detect settings”.

Uplay doesn't want to work.
Since Assassin's Creed 2 in 2009, the vast majority Ubisoft games (with a few exceptions, such as Rayman Origins) require you to run them through Uplay. The problem is that Steam automatically downloads horrible old versions of Uplay which for some inexplicable reason refuses to update to the newer, noticeably less horrible version. The solution to this is to download Uplay first. It's a requirement for almost all new Ubisoft titles, unfortunately.

Oh, and it has a nasty habit of eating save files, which unfortunately there's no real solution other than switching off Uplay's cloud sync features and praying. :ubisoft:

My client/Steam website has changed to a foreign language. How do I fix it?
Sometimes Steam decides to change the selected language on its own. Nobody has any idea why. The easiest way to fix this, go to the Steam website and select English in the drop down box, as shown by this picture by Heran Bago:

If you have Enhanced Steam installed, there's an option to flag up when you're browsing a non-English version. You'll see the red bar in the picture, which automatically fixes this problem when you click on it. Another reason why Enhanced Steam is a pro-download.

Is Nuuvem dodgy?
No, they're legit. They're basically the Brazilian version of Green Man Gaming. Do note that they've started region restricting the sale of certain games, but it's nothing a VPN (e.g. Hola) pointing at Argentina and a PayPal account can't get around. As for the actual game codes themselves, they will indicate Region Locked keys in bright red text and will note when the keys are non-Steam keys.

Is G2A/Kinguin/G2Play dodgy?
Yes, very dodgy. These sites resell keys. They don't give a crap if said keys are stolen or fraudulent. You are strongly advised to avoid G2A, G2Play and Kinguin.

This game/DLC sucks/just went on sale after I bought it/is busted/. Can I get my money back?
Yes you can, so long as you've bought it within the last two weeks and haven't played it for more than two hours. If you're within these rules, full refunds are available, automatic and are (largely) quibble-free.

Should I buy this movie on Steam?
No, because you won't get a download, it's strictly steaming. Considering most of Steam's movie catalogue are the sort of zero-budget indie fare that's also available on Vimeo, VHX and GOG, you should go there since you'll (usually) get a download copy for your money.

Why can't I see the screenshots taken directly from Steam in this thread?
Short answer: Chrome and Firefox (and basically every other browser other than IE and Edge, because Microsoft's browsers are weirdos) block images served via HTTP on a HTTPS site. By default, Steam images are all served using HTTP, and you can choose to use HTTPS for these forums. There is, however, a workaround:

aba posted:

How to view Steam linked images via HTTPS connection

0) Skip if you trust me: Look into source of the page to find a link to some image which is not working.
1) Example from the first page: open http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/539646410295191903/BDB1BDE3A021DF201C673786E6FDF45ED6C56318/
2) Check that it works.
3) Now change protocol to HTTPS. I.e. https://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/539646410295191903/BDB1BDE3A021DF201C673786E6FDF45ED6C56318/
4) Confirm the security exception as you're a big boy and you know what you're doing.
5) Refresh the first page of this thread to verify that it's working.
Alternatively, you can just not use HTTPS to browse these forums. that appears to have been fixed :v:

And remember...

Delusibeta fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
This game is really expensive/not available! Can someone buy my it from a cheaper country/where it's available?
If you're a member of the SA Goons group (see right at the top of the first post), there's a bunch of goons willing to trade you their cheaper/available games for PayPal and stuff. Ask them beforehand.
(If anyone wants to be added or removed from this list, drop me a PM or mention it in this thread)

US Captain Invictus (may be able to give an extra discount, see thread for details), Atroos, Master Odin, Ragequit, Morter, Darkest Lite, Beard Yawn, Witters, Liquid Courage, Pins, Cowman.
UK Lavatein, AirRaid, RoboJoe, Crashbee, Red Dragon, Dregan
EU Zone 1 Zedd, Smol, Palpek (travels between zone 1 and 2, ask beforehand)
EU Zone 2 Saoshyant, Tecman, Xabarin
Australia Red_Fred, KuroKisei, tehsid.

Any Goon recommendations for curators?
Ignoring the alumni (TotalBiscuit has how many followers?), there's CueZero's Cue Review and Shalinor's Glass Bottom Games. Give 'em a follow.

Delusibeta fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 2, 2016

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Steam is cool and you can buy emoticons of weed to show off to your gamer pals.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

LordHippoman posted:

Steam is cool and you can buy emoticons of weed to show off to your gamer pals.

Isn't the weed emote going for like $50 or something ridiculous?

Good OP, Delusi, thank you.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

razorrozar posted:

Isn't the weed emote going for like $50 or something ridiculous?

Good OP, Delusi, thank you.

It's not the dumbest priced emoticon by a long shot.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

I'm ok with this, only if Tecman gets a name change to Ozymandias.

Tweek-
Jul 13, 2014

Who will buy this for $410.97 :)

Tweek- fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 18, 2014

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
We've now 3 Steam Threads, yet UPlay and Origin get no love. :(

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
The weed emoticon, for the record, is only selling for about :10bux: these days.

PowerBeard posted:

If there's thread that you think is missing, :justpost:.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

Wait what what's the third steam thread

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The mod one that's locked at the top of the page.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

PowerBeard posted:

Cause both services are trash. Which isn't to say Steam isn't either, but it just happens to be the one that everyone uses.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Technically the sticky thread is a Steam thread thread, not a Steam thread.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Might wanna add the info on gifters, I believe it was still up to date.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

I said come in what is your steam profile.

I wanna be friends with a fellow IBD sufferer.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/1337b34ts/home/

lordfrikk posted:

Good advice.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Lock posted:

I said come in what is your steam profile.

I wanna be friends with a fellow IBD sufferer.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/1337b34ts/home/

Good advice.

I do not play IBD but I sent you a request anyway. Steam friends are cool.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

lordfrikk posted:

Aye, good shout. Stuck it at the top of the second post for my editing and your linking convenience.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Kr7stof posted:

Who will buy this for $410.97 :)

It's rare, that means it's valuable! :pseudo:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Good, I'm now waiting for other official Steam threads that challenge the legitimacy of this one.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Palpek posted:

Good, I'm now waiting for other official Steam threads that challenge the legitimacy of this one.

Is there a Highlander fighting game? We could designate representatives for each thread and have a tournament.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Oh, this isn't the uPlay thread...

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Palpek posted:

Tecman has a de jure claim for casus belli.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Hey OP you forgot the IRC channel's horrible thread

Tweek-
Jul 13, 2014

President Ark posted:

It's rare, that means it's valuable! :pseudo:

Looking at my steam inventory....i am filthy rich!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Palpek posted:

Since people were wanting them so badly, why not rename the other thread "Uplay and Origin Garbage Pit" and keep the same posting tone it was at.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Which thread do I use? :ohdear:
There are so many options now.

([sub]don't say neither [/sub}:mad:)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

We're already at about the same tone in this one as well.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Drifter posted:

Which thread do I use? :ohdear:
There are so many options now.

(don't say neither :mad:)
All of them. I'm starting my own soon, you can too!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

zen death robot posted:

Some things are best left forgotten, really.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

zen death robot posted:

Some things are best left forgotten, really.
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Imp Zone (47 users browsing)

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Imp Zone (47 users browsing)

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

Is Imp Zone the new YCS or something?

I thought YCS was ok, they had that cool roguelike thread, and were p chill people.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

at first drdd was bad but then when it was reborn as the imp zone, it became significantly less bad

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I suppose the old thread's going to die now?

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

zen death robot posted:

There aren't any anime threads so that's probably why you can't call it the new YCS.

more reason why it's not as good

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

PowerBeard posted:

drat straight.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

zen death robot posted:

Ralp keeps gassing them, not like I give a poo poo, really.

more reason why he's not as good

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Thank you Kragger for the surprise gift of Wolfenstein: The New Order. Now I need to get around to finishing Wolfenstein 2009.

I Am Frick
Mar 26, 2004

The lesser half
of Frick and Frack
Great job with the OP, and thank you for listing all those utilities. It's helpful to have an actual, quasi-endorsed recommendations that goons can trust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

didn'ta ll the old YCSers go to some offsite forum when The Cancer finally killed the subforum? Did any come back?

I don't recognize any of these people

Lock fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 18, 2014

• Locked thread