Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Quest For Glory II posted:

Yeah I didn't like Wrack at all. garbage-feeling guns, not great level designs, and you only do any real damage if you keep your combo up but since there's backtracking, through areas you've already cleared out...

Plus the headbob and the viewmodel run animation made it look like you were going for limping speed record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

How is 1979 Revolutions: Black Friday? I don't expect a long game from that cost, but how good is it in terms of adventure/narrative games?

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe
This probably slipped under everyone's radar because of the steam sale, but de Blob 2 is out on Steam!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

SinineSiil posted:

I think he's the poster who loves calling anything he doesn't personally like terrible.
Just click on the "?" below his name and see if his opinions are worth listening to.

In other "this game looks nice but is actually GARBAGE GRR ARGH" - anything I should drop from my wishlist?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Xander77/wishlist

Arranged in order of preference. I have no idea what half the games after N#20 are - probably goon recommendations?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 24, 2017

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I bought State of Decay Year One and it keeps crashing on startup. Anyone encountered this? I tried deleting and reinstalling Microsoft C++ 2012 or whichever one comes with the game and the "-fullscreen" startup option. It seems like this has been an ongoing issue since launch. :pcgaming: Too bad, I enjoyed the game when it was on the Xbox 360.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Zaphiel posted:

This probably slipped under everyone's radar because of the steam sale, but de Blob 2 is out on Steam!

If I only wanted one de Blob which one is better?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

ZearothK posted:

How is 1979 Revolutions: Black Friday? I don't expect a long game from that cost, but how good is it in terms of adventure/narrative games?

I got it for free, not impressed so far - I think it would mean more if you had Iranian ancestry and could relate more to the events of the Revolution.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Is it worth picking up New Retro Arcade: Neon? I've always liked the virtual arcade simulation, and it looks a lot more polished than Anarchy Arcade. Is it difficult to get set up properly, and are you just limited to MAME stuff, or can you load other things like Steam games and whatnot?

EDIT: I should say that I don't have a VR headset, and don't have the budget for one, so I was also wondering how it plays without the VR controls.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 24, 2017

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

monster on a stick posted:

It wasn't a balance issue. Retinues were shipped overpowered, everyone knew it, the entire selling point of the DLC was "ahistoric standing armies so you can conquer the world if that's how you want to roll." Then they turned it off, "lol thanks for paying $10 for our DLC suckers."

That wasn't the selling point at all but if you want old overpowered retinues then just roll back to the patch before they rebalanced them, jesus christ this isn't hard

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe

il_cornuto posted:

If I only wanted one de Blob which one is better?

Hmmm....that's a tough one since I haven't played the first in a long time. The second has a little more variety in that you'll have some side scrolling sections along with the regular missions. The second one also has a little more variety in the levels and gameplay (in the form of power ups), so maybe try the second one, if you have to pick one.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Discovered I had a key for some sort of visual novel called Kimmy
http://store.steampowered.com/app/600660/Kimmy/

Just take it
https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=MzFUCZvTdNYdMPYK

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
So if I wanted to pick up a cheapo VR headset for Subnautica and Elite Dangerous, what would be my best bets?

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Tamayachi posted:

So if I wanted to pick up a cheapo VR headset for Subnautica and Elite Dangerous, what would be my best bets?

Honestly, wait for the Vive 2.

I bought my Vive as soon as it was commercially available, and love it, but I can't really recommend VR right now. The tech is awesome, but there needs to be a better selection of games and I can't justify the investment unless you like staying on top of the newest tech.

The Vive 2 is expected to have a much better resolution (my biggest complaint with the Vive -- text is sometimes hard to read unless it's dead center and it's close.) and more precise motion controls. Also, it'll potentially be wireless.

If you really want one right now, though. I'd say the Vive is still on top, but can't really speak for the others.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
Awesome, I don't have a problem waiting, and the Vive 2 sounds pretty neat, thanks!

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Here's a bunch of steam codes I got from a GMG Loot box. Most of them are bad games, but if that's your jam, go for it.

Take one, take all, thank me or don't. I'd rather someone makes use of these keys, 'cause I sure as hell won't.

Protip: Don't buy GMG's lootboxes.

RISE OF THE ARGONAUTS: KPAPX-A9TFD-040EK

SURVIVAL DRIVER STEAM: 992RC-46T5D-YZM7M

RABIEZ EPIDEMIC: ZJ383-HJ053-BZ0HY

CRANIUM CONUNDRUM: PFZ72-G7H55-TKHRG

THE FIRST SPARK: V0ATP-J0LHF-CYCD6

POST MASTER: BQNKG-HAPL4-0A20E

ACTION ALIEN STEAM: AJZK4-9RZ76-5KDTR

SAVE JESUS: 3F65H-25847-LNAME

LEAD AND GOLD: 423AI-HRKA6-MZD2X

CYBERCITY 2157 THE VISUAL NOVEL: 0NJXT-LG5W3-HZ4C2

THE INCREDIBLE BARON STEAM: HDT76-QX99N-AB33H

FERGUS THE FLY: R3IA8-AN5JN-Q2ZGB

TRACKS OF TRIUMPH SUMMERTIME: D3TEF-K84RM-PF9X5

SPELLWEAVER CHRONICLES THE HOLY CHILD: 37EBP-D9DV7-M3G7G

DEAR RED EXTENDED: LAV89-AYEBX-2C9KK

WINEXY: KQ6V3-R92KI-406HM

HOVEN THE SAGES SPINEL: ILK60-ECTCN-MPN7X

CORPORATE LIFESTYLE SIMULATOR: ALT09-PNNBE-5CLBQ

LIVEZA DEATH OF THE EARTH: J7APR-X6MD8-4QA5K

SUPER BOMB RUSH: RF8HK-ELHAD-ZJ5MY

CAVEMAN WORLD MOUNTAINS OF UNGA BOONGA: 3QE3K-97JFX-TC7TZ

WORLD SHIP SIMULATOR: MK6T7-C3GHN-F2KTI

REIGN OF BULLETS: WJ9M8-XMDRL-KKXVG

URIZEN SHADOWS OF THE COLD: 2322X-WR0ZW-8NXLW

TALES OF DESTRUCTION STEAM: 67CCX-Q70VW-KEGWL

CTU COUNTER TERRORISM UNIT: 92LGJ-5CIVW-VDF4M

ENFORCER POLICE CRIME ACTION: GLGQ6-YWLDW-HFTWV

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Tamayachi posted:

Also if those are the games you're after go for a Rift. Vive has the out of the box advantage for roomscale, which is the best reason to get a Vive.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Hoven the Sages Spinel might be the worst game name I've ever heard.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Velocity Raptor posted:

Here's a bunch of steam codes I got from a GMG Loot box. Most of them are bad games, but if that's your jam, go for it.

Take one, take all, thank me or don't. I'd rather someone makes use of these keys, 'cause I sure as hell won't.

Protip: Don't buy GMG's lootboxes.

RISE OF THE ARGONAUTS: KPAPX-A9TFD-040EK

Took this, thanks.

The Incredible Baron may or may not be legit good. Certainly has some great graphics.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 25, 2017

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
The Darkness II is fun as gently caress. I loved the first and didn't care for the second back in 2012. It was more like the comic than the first game. This time around I am tuned into how comic-booky it is. It helps that I've actually read some Darkness comics this time.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
Anything to cut here?

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Wamdoodle posted:

I bought State of Decay Year One and it keeps crashing on startup. Anyone encountered this? I tried deleting and reinstalling Microsoft C++ 2012 or whichever one comes with the game and the "-fullscreen" startup option. It seems like this has been an ongoing issue since launch. :pcgaming: Too bad, I enjoyed the game when it was on the Xbox 360.

Apparently they are making State of Decay 2 so I imagine State of Decay YOSE probably got abandoned by them like the original version.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

James Woods Fan posted:

The Darkness II is fun as gently caress. I loved the first and didn't care for the second back in 2012. It was more like the comic than the first game. This time around I am tuned into how comic-booky it is. It helps that I've actually read some Darkness comics this time.

The Mossad chick from the co-op mode is awesome and I love her. :allears:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

James Woods Fan posted:

Isn't that the game where you can rip a bad guy's spine out of his anus?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Sorry if I missed a review that was already posted, but has anyone played Quern - Undying Thoughts? It looks like it would do a good job of scratching that Myst itch and has decent reviews.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

succ posted:

Anything to cut here?

Risk of Rain. It's got a nice art style but is a chore to play.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Bringing back an old effort-post of mine about Roguelikes, my favorite genre!

Roguelikes

Bionic Dues is down to 1.49$, and it's Arcen's weird unpolished game where you swap out different robots as you fight other robots. Worth a gander but you won't love it.

Caves of Qud is at 8.99$! Buy it! You all know the refrain by now, it's the classic post-apocalyptic mutant exploration game where you die to turrets, giant angry bears, and angry NPCs!

Crypt of the Necrodancer! 2.99$ for a beautifully designed roguelike where you dance as you kill your foes - it's wonderful, even if you have a bad sense of rhythm as I do.

Desktop Dungeons is 7.49$, and well - do you like having your brain fried as you try to solve puzzles? It's fascinating and difficult and elegant. *Do not get the goatperson DLC, I hear that class is an utter pain to play as, and only for advanced users.

Dungeonmans! Do you like fun? I like fun. It's 7.49$ for a pure dungeoncrawling experience. No funny plot to slow you down, no weird mutations to pick from, just a straightforward (yet cool) set of skills, your weaponry, and ever-more-powerful bees to kill. Good times. (The DLC is great, BUT do not get it unless you want to add difficulty sliders to the game, as it adds no other new content. The sliders are great and I love the new mechanics and customization, but it's for advanced players.)

Dungeons of Dredmor, a clunky classic for 2.49$. It's funny, its skill-tree hasn't been duplicated by anyone else yet, and it brought roguelikes to the mainstream. I also here there's a tiny tiny chance it might be getting a new patch or something? Fingers crossed!

One Way Heroics for 2.44$ (Add Plus edition for 2.59$!) - A weird yet cool game where you race across the kingdom to kill the Overlord before his creeping darkness swallows up everything. Plus Edition adds a TON of content and refinements to the game. There's an expensive remake that I'd pass on unless you really, really must have more of this game, too.

Sproggiwood. 4.49$ - no time for dungeon diving? New to the genre? This is the holy grail of accessible roguelikes. It's fun to play, cute to look at, and surprisingly vicious. Savage mode is no joke. Play it, and learn to hate twinned monsters!

Sword of the Stars: The Pit. For 1.29$..... you could do better. I'm sorry, but this game is terrible and I don't like it. It's one of the few sci-fi roguelikes, but DoomRL is free. Please play DoomRL instead.

ToME, one of the biggest roguelikes out there - listen. It's free at its website. What you are buying on steam is the upgraded fancy version. Worth it - I mean it's 2.37$ - but please go play the free version first. This game can be very offputting if you're not ready for it.

And then we get things I don't class as roguelikes in my steam library because I'm a nerd, but hey, they're good anyways!

FTL, THE game to play if you want to be captain kirk. Not a fan of the final boss, but you owe it to yourself to play at least one or two games of this. 2.49$

Spelunky is 2.24$ and it's the Indiana Jones experience. I mean I don't need to sell this one do I? Everyone knows it.

New Additions To This List

868-HACK, my favorite simple roguelike. It's almost an arcade game in how fiendishly simple it is. For 4.12$ it's one of the best on the list - carefully navigate a gauntlet of enemies as you collect weird/cool powerups and beat the game - then loop it, going as far down as you can before you die.

AuroraRL weird sci-fi roguelike for 0.74$ - it honestly feels like a game from the 80s or 90s? It's just... very weird, but there's a lot to do and it's cheap, so hey, check it out.

Morphblade - honestly it feels like a phone game. 2.49$ for a simple-yet-complex gauntlet of enemies where you upgrade the board itself with different tiles as you progress. I like it, it's by the Gunpoint guy, but it's not a deep game.

Risk of Rain, my new favorite Spelunky-esque game. 2.49$, has great dynamic difficulty and cool items - you try to clear five stages and their bosses before the timer reaches the insane difficulties, steadily getting stronger - or dying. I love it a lot!

MidBoss - alas, it's brand new so they couldn't do a sale, so it's a full 14.99$, but I like it. It's about possessing monsters and becoming them as you go through the dungeon. You learn skills from them, pick up new loot, and basically have a good pure roguelike experience. The devs are working on more improvements as we speak!

Summary

The absolute best things on this list are still Dungeonmans, Caves of Qud, and Crypt of the Necromancer - and the best bargain is DoomRL, as it's free! Get these four, have a blast!

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

il_cornuto posted:

Hoven the Sages Spinel might be the worst game name I've ever heard.

Crookz: The Big Heist
Hover: Revolt of Gamers (at least they didn't go with "Gamerz")
PLAYERUNKNOWNBATTLEGROUNDS

Hoven the Sages Spinel just sounds like nonsense.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Velocity Raptor posted:

THE INCREDIBLE BARON STEAM: HDT76-QX99N-AB33H

This was on my Wishlist, thank you!

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Has anybody done a write up on Neo Atlas? I have only seen comedy screenshots in the thread and was wondering what it really plays like.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
So Wuppo is pretty cheap, and it's worth your money for sure. I love Wuppo, it's adorable and super well animated and fun, plus it's also got great music.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/400630/Wuppo/

If you like Indie Platformers, and I don't mean modern ones where it's a super difficult nes platformer nonsense thing but Indie Platformers from the mid 2000s then you should check it out. Lots of love put into it and it shows!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Wuppo is the closest steam has to a nintendo game

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

So Wuppo is pretty cheap, and it's worth your money for sure. I love Wuppo, it's adorable and super well animated and fun, plus it's also got great music.

If you like Indie Platformers, and I don't mean modern ones where it's a super difficult nes platformer nonsense thing but Indie Platformers from the mid 2000s then you should check it out. Lots of love put into it and it shows!
Is the Special Edition worth the extra $3? The DLC doesn't sound too exciting but for all I know, the new modifiers and weapons enhance gameplay in some cool way.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

StrixNebulosa posted:

Sword of the Stars: The Pit. For 1.29$..... you could do better. I'm sorry, but this game is terrible and I don't like it. It's one of the few sci-fi roguelikes, but DoomRL is free. Please play DoomRL instead.

You mean DRL (D**m, the Roguelike)? :v:

corn in the bible posted:

Wuppo superficially reminds me of An Untitled Story. Is that at all accurate?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Absolutely, it's not quite a metroidvania like an untitled story was but it's got that same "explore this weird world" vibe (also it's much more competent in its presentation, no offense to good game boy mattmakesgames who went on to make quite a few bangers)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Haha, yes I do. DoomRL, DRL, D**MRL, in conclusion Zenimax can go jump off a cliff for being such a jerk!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mokinokaro posted:

Risk of Rain. It's got a nice art style but is a chore to play.

I disagree pretty emphatically.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What don't you like about The Pit Strix? I thought it was pretty fun.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
Posted this in the Sale thread but no luck.

Turd Herder posted:

Anyone have a review on Brick Rigs?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Wuppo superficially reminds me of An Untitled Story. Is that at all accurate?

Yeah, if you liked AUS you'll love Wuppo. They're similar, though you can tell Wuppo definitely had higher production values and better animators working on it. It fully feels like an indie game of that era, though, which is why it's so nice.

dromal phrenia posted:

Is the Special Edition worth the extra $3? The DLC doesn't sound too exciting but for all I know, the new modifiers and weapons enhance gameplay in some cool way.

The electricity gun is very nice but it's not particularly meaningful apart from that. Everything else is cosmetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Anyone have thoughts on caveblazers? http://store.steampowered.com/app/452060

• Locked thread