Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

D1E posted:

As someone who never played this game on console (in fact, I had never even heard of it until recently following the Bayonetta PC release) can someone post a two sentence summary of what makes it so special that everyone is anticipating it so eagerly?

Thanks!

Pretty standard (but not bad) third person space marine shooter with a dedicated "smoke cigarette" button and over the top goofy cutscenes/dialog/whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

eesau posted:

Hey guys it's mystery key time! Most are from Humble Freedom Bundle so pass if you bought it.
hxxps://www.xumblebuxdle.com/gift?key=SqWRRSYnFYmYREMOVETHISSuMq

I took the bottom one, thanks for TIMEframe I never heard of this game and it looks like something I want to check out but definitely something I would never pay $8 for

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Stellaris is on sale, how is it? Is it something to "win" or is it more like CK2 where you do whatever?

This is a really hard question to answer, because despite whatever may exist at the end of the game it ends up boiling down to "build a bigger fleet using the components that are better on a spreadsheet and then wrestle with war demands to conquer neighbors at the agonizingly slow pace of 3 planets per war cycle"

Don't get me wrong I have 91 hours played but I bet less than 10 of them were anywhere past the first ~hour of a new game and probably 20+ are on the faction creation screen, because that's when stuff actually happens. I bought the DLC because I was under the impression it fixed the mid/late game content void but I still lose interest about an hour in to each new game so I haven't been able to see any of the new stuff.

It's the only 4x/long-term-strategy game where I've literally never loaded a saved game, because any time I think about going back to anything past the first hour of the game I lose interest in playing.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

There are a whole lot of mods, 99% of them are cosmetic/roleplaying things/adding in factions from Star Wars or Rick & Morty or whatever. I tried a few that attempted to make the game deeper but they just weren't for me, the ones I tried all did it by adding tons of unnecessary complexity (e.g. "hey, here's 42 new resources that you need to worry about and make sure you have a source of in your empire, because old buildings and ships need them for construction now") instead of actual depth, but I admit that I just don't care about them enough to keep looking for good ones, someone else might have better mod experiences to share.

edit: I should point out that my experience would be vastly different if I played multiplayer, the main thing making end-game boring to me is what a clusterfuck AI diplomacy is. The way the war demands system works is that any time you want to start a fight with someone, you have to pick 2-3 things that they have that you want (e.g. "give me xyz planet" or "remove your colony from abc planet"), then you fight the war and if you win you get those 2-3 things and you get put in a forced truce with the enemy for a set number of years. On top of that, every single AI will congregate in to one of 2-3 massive alliances a few years into the game, and at that point declaring war on anyone means you'll be facing 7+ enemy empires - to counter that you have to join an alliance of your own, at which point you can no longer declare wars without the approval of everyone in the alliance.

Maybe I just have a poor understanding of the system and someone could come in to post some workarounds for how to get things done, but singleplayer Stellaris past the first few game-years mostly turns in to fast-forwarding through time, picking researches, and waiting for the AI to initiate things.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 9, 2017

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It sucks to find out someone who made a cool game is schizophrenic

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I think what he's trying to say is that comparing computer specs and judging someone's superiority based on numbers is stupid, and that's how MRAs see women (your superiority is based on the number of women you've slept with), but I can't for the life of me understand how he thinks comparing PC specs is a gateway drug to seeing women as statistics instead of people or why he would make this comparison.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

Maybe you should find the original statements rather than relying on a site that posts about videogame character vagina mods to explain the situation to you

I can't because he deleted them but his original post that sparked it was ""PC gamers can now play <former console exclusive> at 512fps and 2673x21111122!" Do you want MRAs? Because this is how you get MRAs." Which if it was a joke, fine, but if people don't like your joke, defending the stance it takes and treating it like your opinion is the wrong way to go.

You can't just say a bunch of dumb poo poo and then go "haha it was a joke guys", it doesn't matter how awful the people calling you out on it are.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 9, 2017

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I don't remember anything particularly challenging about Dying Light's early game, but if you're still struggling you could do what this guy does in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm1zNIf42i8&t=547s

If you don't want to watch it, the answer is "stand in front of a zombie and left click a handful of times with your bare fists"

If you watch a few minutes past where I started the video you'll see the airdrop that I think you're stuck at, just punch the zombies a dozen times each or repair one of your broken weapons like he does.

Alternatively I'm pretty sure that you can casually stroll up to the box, press the use button, then casually stroll away before the zombies can respond. That sounds about right for how I did it and would explain why I didn't even remember this part.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Some other people mentioned it already which is what prompted me to check it out, but Dead Cells is really good. It's a much better mix of Metroidvania and Roguelite than Rogue Legacy was.

It's a very good Metroidvania in its own right - lots of weapons and spells, a progression system that lets you upgrade/unlock more of them after each level you complete, fluid combat that feels good and makes me feel good when I win a sketchy encounter. Every time you die you restart with a percentage of your gold (based on upgrades) and try again, with the levels randomized and the enemies respawned.

Traversal skills are permanent unlocks that apply to your future lives too, which is an awesome way to make the earlier levels that you'll be running a lot more interesting as you progress further into the late-game.

It has some balance issues right now; there are too many ways to deal damage without putting yourself in danger. Things like Knife Storm, Horizontal Turret, and Electric Whip are just too 'safe' to use, but if you have willpower you can just avoid using them. There's a little bit of annoying floatiness with platforms/ropes where I sometimes find myself climbing up one when I don't want to, and it has frustrated me when it happened but I can only think of two times it got in my way. Other than those two issues I'm very impressed, the art is great and it feels very polished for an EA title, I'm not sure how much content there is yet but it's not disappointingly little (my current run is 6 zones in, I killed a boss after I think the 4th zone, I'm 1 hour and 10 minutes into this run).

Worth picking up even in EA if you're a fan of metroidvanias or action platformers.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Morter posted:

I'm utter poo poo at rogue-likes and rarely (or probably never) finished one...but i like fast action slashy things and persistent leveling. Should I try Dead Cells?

There's nothing Roguelike to it other than the fact that when you die, you start at the beginning and the maps are randomized. If you like metroidvanias or action platformers you'll probably like it, it's really good.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I don't know how the heck people got low SteamIDs, my account was created less than a year after Steam opened, back when no one used it and the only game on it was Half Life 1 and its mods. I bought a new video card and it came with a HL2 key long before the game released and I used that to create my Steam account, but I still just barely broke the first 5 million.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

My favorite example of that is the game that claims to be a love letter to Roguelikes, but it's actually just a bad gauntlet clone where the textures are matte black with lots of white letters pasted everywhere.

edit: Brut@l

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've played Dead Cells enough that I don't want to see it again until EA is over (about 16 hours) so here's my opinion of it at this point.

GOOD:
Combat is fun, much heavier on the Castlevania side than the Metroid side. Remains mechanically fun despite the cons listed below.
Lots of weapons/skills
Great aesthetics

BAD:
Most of the weapons/skills are bad, and unlocking them actively hurts you by adding them to the drop pool
The above leads to metagame progression that feels bad, you can collect a blueprint and dump cells into it just to lower your chances of getting weapons that are worth using
Progression system pretty quickly turns from unlocking new things to adding incremental 5% damage increases to old things
Lots of balance issues (allegedly fixed in the next patch) with certain weapons/damage types being exponentially better than their competitors
In a game where it's normal for enemies to be able to 1-shot you, there shouldn't be enemies that hide behind other enemies emitting a total invisibility aura
Level generation in late-game levels can sometimes bug out and make it impossible to progress
Platforming is floaty and you'll pretty often climb things you meant to jump past/down.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 17, 2017

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Xaris posted:

E: Also where did you read about certain weapons being exponentially better and getting fixed?

http://steamcommunity.com/games/588650/announcements/detail/2696939118805730494
This post specifically calls out Bleed damage as something they're fixing, which I assume will bleed over (heh) into other damage types as well, like probably buffing Poison/Burn.

If you compare Bleed to Poison/Burn in their current state in-game, Bleed often does 70+ damage/sec per stack, where Poison at the same level would do maybe 12 dps/stack and stacks fewer times.

The issues I had with platforming might be with my controller's stick :shrug:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Edit: Nevermind I don't actually own Shipwrecked, I must have been thinking about the other DLC

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I didn't like Undertale because it felt like I was playing a bad fan fiction of something that doesn't even exist.

I also avoid it because of its fans, and I think it's different from other games in this regard because for a lot of other series like this (Dark Souls) the fans are just annoying, but Undertale fans are both annoying and weird as hell, and they're generally not people I would associate with regardless of their videogame preferences. I look at the fanbase as a collective unit and say "Yeah, I don't have the same tastes as those people."

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 21, 2017

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

FastestGunAlive posted:

Yeaaa the loving sewers level. That poo poo had me using skip level cheats as a kid

That was the level and the game that taught me how to look up cheats on the internet.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Unless it's a mutiplayer game it's insanely dumb to let people you don't have to interact with cause you to not play a game.

It's more like a litmus tests for taste. I've talked to people who are Undertale fanatics and I know what kinds of things they like, and I generally don't like those things. If I knew someone whose favorite bands were Nickelback and Creed and they were trying to tell me about this new incredible band I just had to listen to, I would of course avoid that band. If someone's favorite TV show is My Little Pony, I'm probably going to avoid anything they tell me I have to watch, because our tastes don't align and I can be certain that what they're suggesting is more in line with their tastes than my own. It's the same principle here.

I have played Undertale and didn't like it for the exact reasons I expected not to :shrug: But I could tell I wouldn't like it from the trailer.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 22, 2017

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Why would you go to a fandom to see if you like a game, that is completely backwards. Especially when it is so easy to find reviews and such.

I'm not sure I understand the argument you're trying to make here. I didn't go to the fandom - I know who the fandom is comprised of because I am on the internet. I know that I don't agree with the taste of the people in that fandom.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Then you went to the fandom yes. You are using the fandoms completely unrelated opinions to inform you on a completely different thing.

It's bizarre.

I'm not trying to pick a fight on the internet here but I'm still struggling to understand your point, I guess. Yes, I did judge a game based on the fandom (I think this is what you mean by "go to the fandom"?). I made a post explaining why I did that and you quoted it saying "Why would you do that, that's dumb"

Reviews don't help for a game like Undertale because what I don't like about it is subjective. It's the art style, the humor, the writing - it's not that they were "bad", they're just the opposite of what I like. I wouldn't pick that up from a review, but I can absolutely pick it up by seeing the way people interact with it on the internet.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I may not have explained properly, the method I used was playing Undertale and realizing I didn't like it. I'm defending the decision to not play it because you hate the fanbase, because it's perfectly valid and would have saved me however many dollars I spent on that game if that's what I had done. I already knew I wouldn't like it but I gave it a shot anyway because of the exact argument we're having in this thread, and I regretted it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

People are allowed to like things for any reason they want, and people are allowed to dislike things for any reason they want :shrug: There's enough going on in this life that we don't have to try to experience it all so if you don't want to play my favorite game just because the voice in the trailer sounds like your mom or something, that's fine by me and I'm not going to try to convince you.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Excuse me but if you're going to post Endless Space 2 music it should be the Lumeris theme, because the whole sci-fi jazz noir thing is excellent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXt6HbuzMXM

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

Have any of you tried that new scifi dungeon crawler game StarCrawlers? It looks pretty cool and I'm wondering if anyone here has gotten to play it yet and what their thoughts on it are.

I got this game in EA a long time ago and go back every once in a while. I have 26 hours played and have a love/hate kind of thing with it.

The gameplay is good, combat has undergone several major overhauls but the last time I played it (2 months ago) it felt fine, there's challenge if you want it and it'll make you synergize your 4 characters together and actually think about what they're contributing besides damage. The metagame between missions is good too even though it feels like there's "less" of it than in e.g. Wizardry. I saw the post earlier about characters having non-combat applications for their skills but the tutorial is literally the only place I ever saw that, and there it was just a single different line of text depending on which of your three skill trees you put your first point in (about how you used that skill to open a door). That's possibly something that was fully delivered on for full release, it was still EA last I played.

The classes themselves... aren't all that well designed. They have three skill trees each but one is usually clearly superior to the others. They do have a lot of flavor and they're cool, there's just a lot of options that are (pretty obviously) not worth it.

The random missions feel kind of bland next to the story missions but on their own they're fine and there's no real fix for that, hand-crafted missions are always going to be better than ones that were randomly slapped together from tiles.

My biggest complaint is the puzzle design, and it's also the reason I've rarely got too far in to it. The... second or third, maybe fourth storyline mission has this reactor puzzle where you have to move around pressing buttons to raise and lower various power cells until they're all in the middle position. As far as I've been able to tell there's no rhyme or reason to the design, you can't really look at what each of the four buttons does and expect it to do the same thing the next time you press it. What the button does is reliant on where each of the 4 power cells are positioned and even though it might raise the south cell if the north one is at the top, if you press it while the north cell is at the middle or bottom it might do nothing to the south cell but raise the east while lowering the west. And then these mechanics aren't at all consistent to the other 3 buttons in the room. It's just a confusing mess that takes me 20-30 minutes of random guessing each time I start a new save until I eventually brute force my way through, but by then it has soured me on the game enough that I stop playing.

That problem is compounded a little because the playerbase for this game is extremely small and there's no one to ask for help when you get stuck. There's only one video of the puzzle I just described and the guy uses clever editing tricks to make it look like he solved it on his first attempt, but he edited out the entire solution.

The story missions can also turn into huge slogs, sometimes they're very very long and there's no way to save mid-mission.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 27, 2017

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

DrManiac posted:

I've been having a surprising amount of fun with low magic age. It's a early access turn-based tactical game based on a weird open sourced D&D and it gives me serious knights of the chalice vibes. it only has a arena mode at the moment but loop is decent and the combat is rock solid (because it's basically D&D).

it's only like ~$3 so it'll be a goddamn steal when they add the story mode and the adventure mode.

Yeah this game is looking pretty sweet. There's not much content at the moment but as long as they add some it's going to be one of the best tactical party-based RPGs.

It has some really big balance issues currently but I think they'll be fixed when available content is expanded and there's an actual mid-game and late-game. Mages are way too powerful at the low levels the game is currently set in and the AI falls in to a lot of traps like always attacking summoned monsters before actual party members. Just stick a summon in the middle of a grease pit and watch the enemies run through and fall prone trying to reach him, then pick them off with free crits. CC like grease and aoe spells like frost storm (or whatever) are kinda dumb in low levels when enemies have nothing they can do to counter them except just walk through and get chewed up on the way.

Avalerion posted:

I honestly don't get these porn games, softcore or otherwise. The internet exists, if someone wants to look at anime girls why not just go ahead and do that, instead of having to play through some trashy puzzle game for it?

I just wish they'd take them off the main storefront, it feels like there's 2 or 3 on the main store page at any given time and it makes Steam feel cheap and trashy. Same with all of the hundreds of dozens of no-budget indie titles and lazy mobile ports. The Steam store used to be the only source of info I needed about new or upcoming PC games but I don't want to dig through all the junk these days so I never browse it anymore.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 31, 2017

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm pretty sure I saw Lt. Cedric Daniels in the Quantum Break trailer so it can't be all bad.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Dawn of War 2 doesn't let you pause. I think it did just after release but they patched it out.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Voidspire Tactics is a really very good game, an essay.

Voidspire Tactics is a $15 tactical party-based indie RPG that's undeniably too short. It's an incredibly clever tribute to RPGs of yesteryear, which is a claim we've all heard a million times since the Dawn of Indie Games, but it does something very unique. It's a fitting and accurate love letter to both oldschool Western style games (i.e. Ultima) and traditional JRPGs (Particularly those with a tactical element, like Shining Force) without anything getting muddied in between.

You create a party of four by choosing races, appearances, and names. Each is assigned a basic class (a warrior, a scout, and two mages), then you run through a short two-minute tutorial explaining the basic controls. Immediately after that, the game stops holding your hand and you're thrown into a hand-crafted world where your wits, sense of exploration, and problem-solving skills are just as much of an asset to your survival as your characters' stats, equipment and abilities.

The world is full of little interactions, nearly everything can be moved or carried, there are items strategically placed (and hidden) everywhere that can be used with each other in intuitive but unexpected ways. If you spend your time with an axe equipped and walk around out of combat smashing all of the furniture you see and looting the broken wooden planks left behind, you might find yourself building a bridge with them later to access a hidden area. You'll find seeds that can be planted, and grown with a Sage's Growth spell to form vine ladders that can be climbed to get to places that look otherwise unreachable. There's a barrier in your way? Have your Scout light it on fire and burn it down. Can't find your way across a chasm in the mines? Go find a pickaxe and dig around it. Maybe the solution is to go up a floor and dig the ground up with shovels, allowing you to fall back down to a different spot. If there's water you can't cross and your mage has an ice spell available, have them freeze the water and walk across! Use your in-combat movement skills to cross gaps while exploring and access hidden treasure, shoot machinery with your lightning spells to power it up. Lots of games promise (and occasionally succeed at delivering) this same kind of world interaction, but Voidspire does it in a way that was extremely refreshing; none of it is necessary. You're never shoehorned in to burning down a piece of furniture to get into a room that's blocked otherwise, you could maybe push the furniture instead, or lockpick a door on the opposite wall. The game never points you in the direction of cleverly using your tools or the environment to get around, it never spoils you on how to do it - you explore and figure those things out on your own, or you don't and progress in more traditional ways.

Combat is rather good and the difficulty sliders are great. There are two separate sliders, one for enemy stat boots/detriments, and another to make the AI spend more/less time calculating its most effective moves. What starts as three simple classes pretty quickly morphs in to 18 separate classes, that you can swap on the fly out of combat (or even in-combat with the right passives) at any time, and which you unlock by earning experience as other classes. Each class has eight active abilities and several of them can effectively be used both in-combat and for out-of-combat puzzle solving. They're clever, well-designed, and fun to use and the difficulty curve of the game is at just the right point, allowing you to be experimental with what you attempt but still successful as long as you've put some thought in to how it would be used. You're not going to find many direct attacks or simple dps buttons (though there are a few), skills often deal with movement, blocking terrain, debuffing or buffing or other 'utility' applications, and with some classes like Shiftcloak (focused around using a cloak to move around and disorient enemies) you'll need to put some clever thinking in to how to use them to be effective. Equipment isn't restricted to classes and you can build your party mostly however you want. I have a snakeman wizard/warrior archetype hybrid with a spear in one hand and a lightning orb in the other, and a catman sage healer that's physically weak but carries a giant two-handed sword that can dish out aoe damage.

The presentation is a lot better than it looks on the Steam page too. The world is a giant mishmash of regions 'stolen' from their homes and mashed together into a floating continent. That's about it as far as story goes, it takes a Souls-like approach to letting you explore and assume about the world on your own. Sometimes you might find a clever way to ascend a mountain you didn't think you could get to the top just to find some rotting bones of a deceased adventurer who passed away while enjoying the nice view from up there. No one's standing around to explain anything to you, areas like the Great Wyrm Tangle are weird, alien and bizarre and no one's trying to tell you anything about them. The game lets you make mistakes and potentially break sequence, too - the first time you meet the main antagonist he orders you to get out of his way. You can abide, or you can refuse and enter combat with him at that point which you could feasibly win if you grinded up your party enough (not sure what would happen if you did). A lot of the NPCs speak an alien language and you can't communicate with them (at least, not on a first playthrough?). Each zone is unique and different and filled with secrets. Digging up a suspicious patch of sand in a desert might lead you to finding a wheel that can be attached to the bombed-out shell of a motorcycle from the machine ruins and driven around.

I was very pleasantly surprised throughout the entire game and only walked away with two complaints. The controls/interface are heavily mouse-driven and not ideal, and it's too short to spend your time unlocking every class or maxing everything out - it encourages repeat playthroughs for that (though, thankfully, with some new races unlocked). I recommend checking it out!

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 13, 2017

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

Is that a stack of three tigers?

it's a Triger

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

Siralim 2 is free on Android this weekend but it's also on steam. It got linked in the roguelike thread but it's most of like an endless grind RPG with monster summoning and breeding and some cool progression elements (build your castle, gain favour with 15 gods, do some side quests). It's really good.

Yeah I want to quote this and say Siralim 2 is an extremely good game and completely worth the $15 price point. I got 35 hours of enjoyment out of it before deciding to take a break and I still plan to go back and start a new game sometime soon.

It's like Dragon Quest Monsters minus storyline and plus a ton of dungeon-crawling and base-building mechanics. My only complaint is that the spell system can leave you high and dry with no good spells for a long time if RNG isn't in your favor, but it's easy enough to rely on physical attack monsters until then or just take along one of the monsters that gives all other monsters in your party a specific spell as their unique trait. Also some of the themed monster sets that are intended to be used together (e.g. hounds, I think?) have some pretty major gaps in their lineups that make them hard to use for boss fights.

e: But the boss fights are incredibly well designed and force you to constantly adapt your party composition as you progress deeper and that's awesome.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 19, 2017

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Interesting update to Chaos Reborn:

aka no more RNG in this game, which....if it's well-balanced, hello! I'm in! If not, hell, I got the key for free from the Phoenix Point fig campaign, I'm happy to play it either way.

That's cool. I liked Chaos Reborn except the whole one-hit-kill mechanic always felt lovely. You'd summon a big bad hydra and a goblin would kill it in one hit because it succeeded its 6% roll. It's hard to make units feel strong when the only thing "stronger" units have is a higher chance to hit. I'm going to have to redownload it and try it out, I never even made it more than 2 fights into the campaign without getting frustrated.

credburn posted:

I feel like, all I ever heard about Shadow of Mordor had to do with how disappointing it was for people. Then I played it, thought it was so-so, maybe on the negative side, but since then all I've heard about is how great people think it is. Am I perceiving just my own psychosis or was there a great opinion shift regarding this game?

Shadow of Mordor was a great proof of concept but a bad game. I think this leads to a lot of hype for the sequel because there were a lot of parts of it that could be great... if they... well... I don't know, the things that would have to be done to make it great aren't things I have hope for. The whole nemesis system was a neat idea but in practice it was irrelevant because your nemesis enemies were never a threat and they were all just the same orcs over and over except with a scar on their face now, or whatever. I never had any attachment to any of those guys, they had no personality outside of one line of text when you encountered them about how you beat them last time and they remained cannon-fodder chaff from beginning to end. They're going to have to find a way to actually make significant changes to orc behavior and intelligence based on how you fought them (I don't think game AI is that advanced) and find a way to make the combat something that enemies can actually beat you at (which doesn't seem to be the case since now they just get immunities to the attacks you spam, so you have to spam different attacks).

I don't understand the "loving with orc politics" thing at all because there was literally none of that in my game, even when I was dying. They would move around on the orc politics screen and gain ranks and whatnot but there wasn't any reward for it and it didn't make them scary. It was just enemies whose models and voice lines changed based on a few triggers in the previous fight. Oh and you could pick one (or a lot) and make them your friend, but that didn't affect gameplay or the storyline in any significant way either, it just meant you had fewer enemies to kill when you attacked their stronghold. It kind of reminds of me of the "Relationship" system in the Cladun games - you can specify that X and Y character are student and master, or lovers, or father and son - but literally all it does is show that connection on the Relationship screen and has zero effect on gameplay.

If you look at SoM from the surface as the kind of person who can create your own story and have fun through telling a tale that the game isn't making explicit, it's pretty cool, but the second you gamify it and look at the actual mechanics behind that there's literally nothing there.

edit: And despite the fact that I say it's a bad game, I did have fun playing it. Not enough fun to buy the sequel before a big sale, but fun nonetheless.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 20, 2017

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I was never able to make the orcs fighting actually do anything. They'd just get tied up fighting each other so that I didn't have to fight them, but I never saw an instance where they would complete an objective or take down a boss for me. I'd still drop in on my target, lop a head off and dip out just like I would if all of the orcs were there and fighting me.

FirstAidKite posted:

There exists a parallel universe where City of Heroes is still alive and doing well and has just incorporated a Nemesis System.

:( This would have been incredible

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I remember thinking this was totally nuts when it first came out, but watching now it seems pretty tame. After watching a man run up a wall IRL to become president, watching a man run up a wall in a videogame to get away from a helicopter seems pretty normal.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Can I just make a review post in the sale thread when it's up? I don't have reviews prewritten but I'm going to write them for games I like that are on sale :colbert:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Kibayasu posted:

The days of Ubisoft/Bethesda/etc games going on sale for 75% off or more are over. You can only blame people for buying the things they thought they wouldn't actually buy for full price :v:

Sales in general just kind of seem this way. I used to get excited for sales because they'd have lots of good games for $5 or less but these days it seems like ~$12.50-$25 is the average price point and I haven't really bought anything during the last few years of sales.

I used to spend too much money and buy probably 50+ games each sale, these days I'm more likely to buy 1 or 2 games at full-price each year and none during the sale :shrug:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 22, 2017

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Legs Benedict posted:

cool that's a pretty strong indictment of it since i hate randomized material spawns and stuff. I'll get slime rancher

People seem to like Slime Rancher a lot but I just don't get it. The entire gameplay loop is picking up objects from one side of the island and depositing them on the other side and it doesn't really deviate from that, there's nothing to get in your way and no challenges to overcome. Being successful lets you buy more room to deposit more items so that you can get more money later. There's some really really light island exploration that mostly serves to earn you more space to deposit even more slimes, or to discover more valuable slimes.

It has the depth of an idle game but it makes you run around and manually do things instead of letting you idle. I'd suggest watching some videos of people actually playing it to make sure it's the kind of thing you're interested in, because when I played and refunded it I expected some actual gameplay that just wasn't there.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've been playing Alvora Tactics and I disagree with whoever said it wasn't as good as Voidspire Tactics Voidspire was a huge sleeper hit from me and Alvora fixes all of the problems I had with it.

Voidspire had great hand-built levels where everything was placed with purpose and that's gone in Alvora in favor of procedurally generated rooms. VST also had a lot of neat world interaction stuff where you would use objects from the world to navigate and solve puzzles, and that's mostly gone in Alvora, as well.

But the things it does better are exactly what I was hoping for. VST had you build a party of four and take them through the entire game, but Alvora starts you with a party of four and that expands to six as you develop your team, and you build up a huge roster of soldiers that you can swap in and out between excursions. VST had a great class and character progression system that's carried over into Alvora and now you have even more units to progress.

Since Alvora is about procedural dungeon delving there's no end to combat and you can grind to your heart's content, unlocking every class for every unit if you so desire. VST's biggest problem in my eyes was that it was so short you didn't get to explore the class system as much as I wanted to and you didn't really get to grind up your team's powerlevel without putting in a lot of tedious work.

The new classes are cool and there are more of them than I expected.

It still has the same kind of mysterious storyline going on, and now you have a central hub that you visit between time in the dungeon. The open world exploring is gone and so are a lot of the NPC and world interactions - those things were neat in VST, but the actual combat and character progression, which I wanted to be meatier in the previous game, are significantly expanded.

They're both really good games and I can't recommend one over the other because it depends what you're in to, but I prefer Alvora to Voidspire and think you should pick it up if you're a fan of squad based tactical RPGs.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

tentative full purchase list

CoE4 is a lot of fun, just be aware that it's singleplayer-only. I'm going to explain what it mostly consists of because that will probably tell you if you'll like it: It's a game about capturing tiles to generate resources, but there are a goddamn million other units running around capturing those tiles out from under you. If re-capturing the same castle or forest or mine for the 50th time because a single neutral deer decided to wander through it sounds like it would frustrate you, you should probably avoid it. Beyond that it's a nice light strategy game with a lot of faction variety that's all about managing resources and terrain to purchase the units you want, and then organizing them into lineups that will counter the enemy's formations. It's also a great "ancient laptop" game if you have one of those.

Here's a post I made praising Voidspire

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 23, 2017

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Rirse posted:

Is DeadCell pretty good to buy while in early access? Tempted to get it from the summer sale but it only two dollars off so I could always wait (unless it one of those double the price when released games).

It's a cool game but I would avoid it right now and hope they figure out where they're going with it. There are some pretty severe balance issues between different weapons and spells where most of them are completely worthless compared to the small handful of powerful ones. The whole progression system is unlocking new weapons and spells which adds them to the drop tables, and 9 times out of 10 unlocking a new weapon or spell is bad for you because you would never want to use it over one of the few good ones, but it makes the good ones harder to get.

By "tons of balance issues" I don't mean things like this sword does 25% more damage than the other sword. It's more like Option A is a weapon that can hit through walls and from across the screen without putting yourself in danger and does 100 damage per second, while options B through Z are short-range melee swords that do 20 damage per second and make you die in one hit while you're holding them. And half the time, Option A is the one you start the game with.

The updates include tons of tweaks to the weapons but none of them are in the right direction and it doesn't seem like the devs have a good grasp on balance or the way players use the tools presented to them, so I don't have much hope for the problems being fixed. Almost 100% of balance changes so far seem to be randomly lifted from community suggestions with little thought as to why a change would be made or if it's even necessary, and when left to their own devices the devs just keep adding more and more useless weapons.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It's only 10% off in this lovely sale but KeeperRL is shaping up into a pretty great game. I bought it back in 2015 and played a little then moved on, but I recently noticed the one-man dev is still putting out regular updates two years later.

It's basically Dungeon Keeper mixed with a much simpler Dwarf Fortress. You build a Dungeon Keeper style base, perform research, train and equip and your inhabitants as expected. Where it deviates from the formula is when you possess creatures. Instead of switching to first person, the game switches to a turn-based roguelike mode where you control one unit and command others to follow you, then pillage your way across the countryside to steal loot and treasure from innocent villages and reap their souls to further your research.

You can, of course, build labyrinthine trap hells to deter the invaders that will surely show up seeking revenge or treasure, or just watch (or control) your units to fend them off. When you lose, your dungeon falls into ruin and can be uploaded to the ~cloud~, where it will show up in future games for other players online to dive through with their own orcs - or even as a human adventurer in Adventurer mode, which works exactly like you'd imagine from its Dwarf Fortress counterpart (though clearly doesn't have the insanely detailed combat modeling that DF does).

I think it's cool that despite only selling 15,000 copies the one-man dev is still trucking on and developing his game two years later, with fairly major updates coming out about every three months and the most recent one being just a few days ago.

• Locked thread