Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It's really weird, I thought it was just me because all their web stuff is still up and running, but apparently not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Wrack is in a bundle, if you were waiting for a sale. Is it as doomy as I want?

I have no idea but I love that the cover art for Dark looks like it was meant for a self-published erotic e-novel.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Armor-Piercing posted:

Is the mahjong game any good? I looked at a couple user reviews earlier that suggested the UI isn't great. What kind of rule options are available? Difficulty settings?

P.S. This is not an ironic post, I just like mahjong.

Just asking because gosh, I just really like mahjong, and there aren't any other mahjong games out there, so, zoinks, I guess I'd better look into getting the one with the enormous anime titties! :wink:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
On the other hand, I had no loving clue about GOG Galaxy until I saw that article so that's neat.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I really enjoyed the first episode of Life Is Strange, and my only real gripe is that they everything storywise would have made more sense if they just made the protagonist a college freshman. It also seems pretty weird to have typical high school stereotypes of jocks, cheerleaders, geeks, etc. when the high school is some sort of prestigious arts academy only available to seniors.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
God bless Kragger, the only goon on my friends list with guts to play Huniepop. I salute you sir. :911:

Also thanks to whomever sent me the coupon for Fable Anniversary.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Holy poo poo one of the least expensive options is the Alienware one. Whatever happened to the idea of a 100 dollar or so cheap Steam machine that you could use for in home streaming? Or did that get changed to that new thing they announced for some reason?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Zombie Samurai posted:

Actually, the least expensive option for in-home streaming is now this.

Which I want very bad so I can stop futzing around with my wife's garbage laptop.

Edit for the lazy:

$49.99

Oh yeah, this looks awesome and was exactly what I was thinking of.

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I dont think steambox was ever expected to be mainly a sub$100 thing?

I never said sub-100 but those are insane-person prices. No one* is going to buy these things.

*Or close enough to no one so as to have the same effect.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Peewi posted:

It's really cool that friends can watch without any kind of setup, but I don't think it can really be considered a competitor to Twitch. The top stream right now has 24 viewers. That's nothing.

But on the other hand Twitch is terrible and most of their popular streamers are terrible. Last time I glanced at their front page it was full of chicks with their tits hanging out playing ftp garbage and racking up the views.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Deakul posted:

I just couldn't get into Van Helsing, it feels too... lifeless? And I think that the combat is painfully boring, it has no real meat and oomph to it.

I really wanted to like it because it was an ARPG that cared about its story and characters, but unfortunately the story was still pretty uninspired. I liked the interplay between Katarina and Van Helsing but it wasn't enough to get me through the whole game or anything. I know a lot of people don't agree, but if you want a story-focused ARPG, Dungeon Siege 3 is where it's at. It's no New Vegas or anything, but Obsidian is still miles ahead of anyone else in the story department, and the controller focused gameplay kept me more involved than a PC centric click fest.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Drifter posted:

One of the very few games to ever see me fall asleep while playing it was Dungeon Siege 3. What a dreadfully boring game that was. Terribly bland gameplay. Just terrible.

I fall asleep playing games all the time. It serves to me as a reminder not to drive tired. See also drinking and playing Forza.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Dias posted:

Why would you want to play an ARPG with a controller.

Why.

Well gee I guess some of us like gameplay beyond click click click click click click.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The Iron Rose posted:

Or in offline mode. My girlfriend and I do pretty regularly so we can both play games at the same time.

This actually works? I assumed that Steam would block that because it seems like a really easy loophole.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Speedball posted:

I miss when TB was just a funny guy who had funny first impressions of video games instead of one of the many heads sticking out of the cock hydra of pissant gamer mob mentality.

His riffing on "Ride to Hell: Retribution" was loving gold. Some biker crashes and the funky physics causes the biker to rocket his bike all the way up into the sky. TB cackles and shouts, "I have to go! My people need me!" Or someone hassling a dude over his ponytail when he doesn't have a ponytail. "This game sits upon a throne of lies!"

Yeah, wow, pop culture references, comedy gold!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Accordion Man posted:

Just a headsup the first game, Blood Omen, isn't available digitally on PC due to a rights clusterfuck with Activision and its a pain in the rear end to run on modern systems,but if you have a PS3/PS4 you can buy it off PSN though. (You'll have to stomach the slow rear end load times to get to your inventory, but I still had fun with the game)

You still can't play PS1 games on the PS4.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Accordion Man posted:

Ah, didn't know and I just assumed because PSN is cross console. It's available on PS3 at least.

[sigh intensifies]

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Purely anecdotal here, but I streamed 1080p over wireless no problem before upgrading the source computer to Windows 10, and now it doesn't work at any sort of acceptable level. I am streaming to an incredibly lovely laptop though, so I will see how it goes when I get my Steam link. I may end up putting my desktop tower down by my router and TV, and using the Steam link where my monitor and keyboard are because it seems to make more sense based on the games I typically play with mouse and keyboard.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

King Vidiot posted:

I was hoping that one of the games that'd be added to the Namco bundle was the Pac-Man arcade collection, I mean it'd only make sense seeing as how it was Namco's biggest hit franchise and Championship DX was included.

Instead we get... Star Trek. J.J. Abrams' Star Trek :geno:

You're better off with Star Trek because the arcade collection is terrible compared to Championship DX.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
That Bedlam game looks interesting, but some of the font and style choices make me think it won't be long before Gearbox slaps them with a lawsuit.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Random Hajile posted:

I think it was more refusing to use the techniques developed by the traitor Big Boss?

Still dumb, but spite is a slightly better reason than just not feeling like it.

But then other people started using CQC so Snake was like "gently caress that, THIS is how it's done." It was really stupid.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ImpAtom posted:

Of all the things I'd never expect to read, Invisible "Universal Ammo" War having better thought out anything is not one of them.

Ya know a while back I'd be all "Universal ammo? Are you kidding? I'm not a child! My immersion!" but now I've gotten pretty lazy and I hate juggling inventory bullshit. I tried to start playing The Witcher 3 the other day and popped open the inventory for the first time. I just kind of said 'ehhhh' and closed it before playing more Ground Zeroes.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Jimbot posted:

I didn't think it was going to be a 1-1 replica of the original. Even the more recent titles got away from the old formula, even if they were kind of mediocre. So thought maybe the Magicka guys could put some fun tweaks on the core concept of dungeon crawling using the Gauntlet name, not lift the money-milking design of the original arcade game. Some old school games should stay in the past.

To be fair, they did do a great job with how different the classes play and feel. But then they put them in a completely uninteresting game.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I sort of lost track of the Steam thread when I got deep into the new Destiny expansion. What's with the data mining talk? It feels like some kind of joke that's flying over my head.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

QuarkJets posted:

5 pages back a guy said that everyone needs to buy Undertale right now before data miners ruin it like how they ruined Mass Effect 3 and Portal

Huh. Oooookay.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It says it supports the 360 Wireless Controller. Is that natively or do you need to plug in the dongle to the Steam link?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Hopefully it's as simple as plugging it in, because I recall doing a bunch of driver nonsense to get it working on my pc.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Looking back on all the hours I put into Blands 2 and I can't fathom ever playing it again. The shooting gameplay is so much better and satisfying in Destiny and has really soured me on playing most other fps games. It helps that even though I also have a gaming PC I don't really enjoy playing games with mouse and keyboard other than stuff like Pillars of Eternity or strategy games.

But still, my dumb rear end put like 120 hours in to Borderlands 2 and I can't even explain why.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I have spent six hours in two days "playing" Farming Simulator 2015, what is wrong with me

Also Destiny has better shooting than Borderlands for sure, but they nailed the writing and humor way better than whatever token stuff Bungie put out.

Yeah, totally, but the meat of the gameplay is terrible. I guess it's a good thing that the Telltale Borderlands game exists because I can't really see myself enjoying another proper one.

Also, the recent Destiny expansion features like 200% more Nathan Fillion being Nathan Fillion. Bungie can probably still turn things around.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I am a retarded idiot who liked the humor and overall writing of Blands 2 and even I don't think that's enough reason to slog through the game more than once.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Is redreader a cop? It would explain a lot in this case.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Some Capcom games:

R!sid!nt !vil 4: ZI84P-N4VC!-C5R!6

Res!dent Ev!l Revelat!ons: WA5JZ-PH!KH-4Y3KX

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Ooops!
I would hate to not pass on the joy of a copy of RE4.

R!sid!nt !vil 4:
T49T!-4ZG97-8IKLY

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Sleeveless posted:

It would be really cool if we all agreed to just not talk about Fallout in this thread for the next few months so for the first time in almost a decade we didn't have to hear people bitching about Bethesda on a daily basis.

Maybe there will be a whole subforum for Fallout like there was for Skyrim/Saint's Row 4. That was pretty neato.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Gerblyn posted:

Isn't this pretty much what they did with Destiny?

Yeah and tons of people bitched about it because they are allergic to smart phones I guess. I sort of agree that it would be nice if they were also in game, but even better if they were read in a soothing voice, preferably the Mass Effect codex guy or Lee from the Walking Dead.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Nevvy Z posted:

What are the best for pickup and playthrough. Because I just can't get myself into a grind forever game. I returned the Division 72 minutes in once I realized what I was entering.

For what it sounds like you're asking for, I'd actually say Dungeon Siege 3. It's got more involved combat than your typical arpg, and a more fleshed out story that's competently told. It's not Obsidian's best writing, but it's miles ahead of any other arpg on the market and it's probably one of their most polished games. It's a game you can pick up and play through relatively quickly, and there's not any endgame grind bullshit once you 'finish.'

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Quest For Glory II posted:

Thats exciting, I was just thinking about how PC gaming needed more 12 year olds calling me a human being

You're pretty dumb if you can't see how giving developers the option to let Xbone, PC, and PS4 players play together is a big deal. This could be pretty huge for games that rely on having a robust online community to function well. I'm thinking of how different Destiny plays on Xbone vs PS4 for instance.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I mean, I guess I can understand why "fat angry white guy who yells and is sarcastic all the time" would be popular for Internet game audiences, but it's kind of sad

I used to read destructoid a lot back in the day and Jim Sterling was probably the worst writer they had, obnoxiously unfunny. But he does represent people that identify as "gamer" very well, I'll give him that.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
"Just pack up and move if you don't like lovely internet." - a dumbass ignorant of the economic conditions of 2016.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I don't really get it. Why do they bother warning you when the game plops you back down in the world afterward and you can still do everything you could before? It's not like Mass Effect where you have to have that stuff wrapped up before the game ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ghostlight posted:

What? The only improvement flat screens had was the "flat" part of them. Colours, refresh, viewing angles, literally everything that your eyes were necessary to appreciate was worse, and in many cases hasn't even improved since then.

Like CRTs are huge bulky lovely electricity hogs that have nearly killed me at least twice, but flatscreens weren't and mostly still aren't a clear improvement visually.

How broken are your eyes that you actually hold this opinion? Are you my mom, who still tells me she doesn't see a difference in picture quality between blu rays and DVDs?

• Locked thread