Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Same happening to me and a friend, no idea what's going on but definitely would advise against buying anything until it's sorted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

motherfucking Master of Orion is back

http://store.steampowered.com/app/298050/

no not rereleased, a new rear end remake with voice acting from mark hamill, michael dorn and others

looks amazing, it's early access atm and $50 which seems a bit steep imo but might be worth it, and comes with the 3 old games

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Hypha posted:

I threw this in one of the Dark Souls threads but I really recommend that you check out Momodora: Reverie under the Moonlight. It is an awesome game. I just beat it and I am sure I missed out on a bunch of content.

That looks amazing, thanks

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

HAHAHAHAHAA gently caress

I had a thought today! Aha! I'll sell my items directly from my steam mobile app and bypass the need to confirm each individual sale because I'm right there. That'd work right? Right?

No

it's like they don't WANT people selling things anymore

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I need that proof smiley in my life

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Re: Phantasy star chat earlier, which one was it where one of your characters was a robot who turned into a plane? That one was cool if confusing in the pre-Gamefaqs days.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

cool I was basically done with Bethesda's bullshit anyway

when the best thing that can be said about your games is that you let your customers make it good for you, it isn't good

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Glad Wasteland 2 had a free weekend, can finally take that off my wishlist. Not a bad game necessarily but it's really not what I'm looking for anymore.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Occultatio posted:

I greatly enjoyed the four hours I spent with Stick It To The Man! and would like to recommend the experience to anybody else interested in an adventure game/platformer hybrid that basically feels like it was made by Psychonauts-era Double Fine.

I found the writing to be consistently solid and charming -- while there were no laugh-out-loud moments, neither were there any where it felt like the game was trying too hard, and that's a difficult line to walk with this style of humor. The puzzles were also nicely composed -- a few steps above HOG difficulty to make them engaging and require some thought, but never obtuse. The action sequences were also handled really well: good difficulty, smooth controls, clever integration of the puzzle-solving mechanics, and (mercifully) short and clearly set apart from the puzzle-y sections of each level, with shortcuts after every one so you never have to play through them twice if you don't want to.

All in all, while it never attains brilliance, the game is a remarkably solid effort, and I can't really point to any flaws. I had fun!

the purple glowy tentacle made the screenshots visually that I thought they might be a sequence and kept trying to figure out how they fit together

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Ninkobei posted:

The "Video game market crash" in the 80s was the result of too many low quality games. Valve just wants to prove (to investors?) that the new market is crash-proof by releasing copious amounts of crapware and being successful at it.

That market crash was due to a lack of widespread games media coverage where you could find out if a game was good before buying, as well as the games being a physical commodity taking up space / getting returned by angry parents in retail stores. Now if someone wants to make a garbage rear end game and sell it, the only person losing money is the person who made the game (and the suckers that buy it).

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Crabtree posted:

How is Dead By Daylight the top seller?!

it's a very fun game, you should try it

plenty of bugs and problems, but fun if you don't take it more seriously than you should

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

what game is that, seems intriguing

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

RiffRaff1138 posted:

So, uh... In Postal 2, in the east half of the mall, next to Turdines, there's a gated off, empty storefront with a sign on it saying, "Closed for renovation, reopening June 2016."

Well, it's June 2016, the game just updated, and, uh...

I thought you typed Portal 2 and got very baffled by some of those screenshots

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Steam, why is Salt and Sanctuary listed under Casual games? It's even tagged difficult!

probably because users make the tags

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Anyone played Startopia? Was looking for something cheap and relaxing to use up my trading card moneys and this one looked intriguing, but not sure how much there is to it. Reviews are pretty positive but I'm not sold on it yet.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Reus is a cool premise and fun to play and explore the various interactions, I kinda soured on it after trying to min-max stuff but have been meaning to give it another shot. At some point you need a wiki to keep track of building requirements though since some stuff is fairly obscure. Fun sandboxy god game to just play around with though, even if the session time limits feel rather arbitrary.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

oblivion slam dunked itself into the uncanny valley with no fucks given, can't stand to look at that game

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

my library is tiny compared to some peoples and i can't even remember half the games i never play, I can't imagine getting angry because there's an extra lovely one on there for some reason

gently caress I got 90 minutes in http://store.steampowered.com/app/45100/ and i might go back and play it again make some SICK fire horse babies

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Nevvy Z posted:

I can't stop playing Shadows of Mordor. Help!

A good game to be stuck with, I tried going from that straight to witcher 3 and couldn't because the combat felt so much worse

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

botany posted:

I wish Stardew Valley would work for me, but it refuses to start. According to the Internet there's a small number of people with the same problem and we're essentially hosed.

That sucks, are you on some wierd older or uncommon hardware?

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

It's nowhere near that hard. There's even a bunch of utilities from reputable sources to automate it.

got a link? not sure what to search for

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

where is the developer/publisher even listed on steam anyway

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

loving lichdom battlemage

gently caress this game

It could have been so cool

Instead you move like a cripple, and every spell set is more disappointing than the last

And the bullshit deaths are only enhanced by the incredibly far apart checkpoints

I keep ALMOST having fun with it then another stupid loving design decision hits me in the face

Like only being able to cast 2 spells per element, because the 3rd is an absurdly short range aoe when getting close to anything but the weakest enemies is a death sentence

Or the boss who uses homing projectiles to hold you in place then teleports over to punch you in the dick for 2/3 of your hp

Finally beat him but whoops lol that was only the HALFWAY point of ice hell canyon

gently caress

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Ryuujin posted:

Now if only the later ones would arrive, since I have actually played the first 2, but not 3 through 5.

same, totally pumped for the later ones, i still bought 1 and will buy 2 though

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I watch people stream games more than I play myself these days, next generation couch potato

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

if you thought they were funny then you probably enjoyed undertale a lot and that's fine too but i found it insufferable

we find you insufferable so

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Xander77 posted:

You know, when David Eddings' characters made a running joke of "it's a ship, not a boat", I assumed that was just one more sign of how much of a hack he is*. Was.

But apparently people like you exist. That's vaguely infuriating.

* Enough of a hack he can't trust his readers to actually keep up with the real boats/ships difference.

I can in fact assure you there are people who have never been on a boat OR a ship in their entire lives and don't in fact give a gently caress about the nuances between the 2

this is also true for big rigs or trucks or semi-trailers or whatever the gently caress those are called

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Once you get a feel for what you're doing in EYE it speeds up considerably, I beat it twice and have 15 hours played (and i wasted a lot of time farming cash) so it's not some tiresome slog of a game. It's no Deus Ex but it's quirky and interesting in it's own right.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

yo whens the fall steam sale at, got some money burnin a hole in my wallet and a wishlist fulla stuff i ain't payin full price for

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

if I've learned anything from this thread it's that people will bitch about anything

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

FMV games were never good they were just curiosities, that make you go 'oh isn't this neat' but they have never been good games or fun to play

basically overrated garbage by people who valued some ill-conceived notion that because it looks more like what they see on the TV it's higher quality

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

Or you could play Long Live The Queen, which is a quite good (and bloody) fantasy kingdom simulator that just happens to have a coat of generic anime paint.

correct me if I'm wrong but don't the same events happen on the same schedule every time in LLTQ? realizing that there would basically be one 'right build' kinda soured me on continuing to play it

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

looks like every non-steam store ive ever seen

which is why i stick to steam

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

everyone keeps asking for halflife 3, we're still waiting for halflife 2 episode 3 fuckers

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

"short swordsman"

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I mean yeah, but $10 they aged her up to 20 just to have an excuse to make her tits bigger.

well they could have just not aged her and still given her the sweet titties but

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

The review we've all been waiting for

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

oh man, steam went down for an unnoticable amount of time on a thursday morning, those dastardly hackers, when will the madness end???

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

And from the post vgperson (the translator) made about the game on tumblr -

AL-FINE looks interesting, all said!

Only review so far says "It's like Recettear, but with waifus."

SOLD

well i might wait for a sale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

And from the post vgperson (the translator) made about the game on tumblr -

AL-FINE looks interesting, all said!

So I decided to pick up Al-Fine to give it a spin, and it really is exactly what it looks like, a pretty basic re-imagining of Recettear with some changes, partially better, partially worse. The biggest change is to the basic gameplay of selling items, no longer do you have to haggle with every customer and try to come up with a price they'll accept, instead you just set a price on the item and they wander around the store looking at the stuff you have out, and they either buy it or they don't. They show some simple reactions in speech bubbles over their head to hint at their feelings towards each item, so over time you learn stuff like the old dude is mainly interested in household items (merchandise), the woman mostly wants food, this guy probably buys swords, etc. I haven't earned my way up to customizing the shop yet so I am not sure how well targetting the demographics works, I never really got into that in Recettear either, just kinda selling everything. Anyway, what this means is the base gameplay during the 'selling your poo poo' segment amounts to just hitting 'restock' on an item if you run out mid-segment. Restocking is actually really slow and lovely though, as your little helper slowly floats over and flies a comically large crate over to the shelf. BUT, at least it automatically restocks in between time segments, so you don't have to run around the store putting new items out to replace everything that sold one at a time. Even if you run out completely, if you go to the market and buy more they will just fill up their spot on the shelf once you return, so that's handy. Another thing I should mention here is that shelf space is limited by weight - so a spot that in the beginning can hold 1 sword might hold 4 apples, for example, meaning if the sword sells, you have to go through the slow restock process each time. But higher weight items tend to have higher profit margins, so it kind of balances out that way.

The next change that seems basic but is actually kind of huge is that there are only 3 time segments per day instead of 4, so doing something like going to the town square or the pub for a story bit feels like a much bigger 'waste' of time that you could be selling. However, the pressure to keep making money seems a lot more relaxed, the amount you have to pay per week starts pretty low and seems to only increase when you upgrade your store, which generally corresponds with greater income anyway, so overall it seems pretty easy to keep up with. I've only played 2 weeks so far, 10 days per week, 20 days total, and at least so far it seems like each week is a new story chapter, though the story has been pretty light and uninteresting so far. Along with the time change, food spoils 3 days after acquisition, so while it sells pretty readily, you don't want to buy too much or it'll go to waste, and there's no indicator I've seen to show you when that happens, just at the start of the day it will say 'some food went bad' and suddenly you have no apples or whatever.

The last major gameplay change is that, instead of being the adventurer and playing through the dungeon fighting segments, you just pay an NPC to do it for you and they have a a percentage chance to succeed based on their level and equipment. Then after 3 days you go back to the adventurer's guild to pick up whatever you won... which, if they fail, is probably gonna be some real garbage, so you can actually lose money in the process, but the rewards for success seem pretty good, and there's a lot of stuff it seems you can only get this way. Unfortunately, this can also include rare food, which might be too heavy for your shelves, which then spoils in 3 days... yeah, that's not the greatest feeling. There also seems to be no item crafting in the game. But personally, the dungeon diving and crafting were some of my least favorite parts about Recettear, so overall I feel fine about it. It looks like there's only spots for 3 different adventurers? But it seems like you might be able to send them on missions at the same time. I've only unlocked the first, so it's unclear.

I also should mention there seems to be a bug where after playing for an extended period of time the game can come up with an error message saying you are out of VRAM and it can't load some textures.. This happened to me after about 90 minutes or so, and this is with a GTX 970 so.. yeah.. that'll have to get fixed. But, I WAS able to click through the error messages, save my progress, and restart the game, so at least it was recoverable.

Overall, the game is a very simplified version of Recettear. You don't get the haggling or the 'custom orders' where people tell you 3 days in advance they want you to have '3 pieces of food' or '2 metal items' when they come back, but you also don't have to spend 20 minutes playing through a lovely dungeon crawling segment trying to decide if you would rather keep some slime droppings or a rusty sword. There is a lot less item variety, but a lot more anime booby variety, if you get my drift. Well, not THAT much. The 'waifus' someone mentioned before don't seem to be a huge draw so far, there are generic anime ladies onscreen occasionally while your character is mostly a doofus. The one aspect this game has that Recettear didn't was the idea of competition between your store and others - you can see a list of the top 10 stores at the merchant guild, along with your pathetic one way below, and eventually work your way up to be better than THE ULTIMATE RULER store. You can also end up in direct competition events where you and another store compete to make the most profit during a 5-day period. The first one at least is story driven and wasn't too difficult to win by playing normally and just avoiding spending time at the pub etc. It remains to be seen if there will be an 'endless' mode that unlocks after completing the story like Recettear, or new game+, or whatever.

Is it worth $15? Honestly.. probably not. At least so far, with 2 hours in, it seems like a pretty shallow game. If you loved the hell out of Recettear, and really want a new game like that, maybe give it a shot. There's no suggestion that the story is going to be anything amazing, the writing is pretty generic, it's just a simple game about running a shop. TL:DR In pretty much all respects it appears to be "like recettear, but not as much". Less items, less shop customization, less micromanagement... more boobies.

• Locked thread