Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Nope, Magic gave you blue flames on your hands and eyes and poo poo. Leveling anything advanced your age. It's just that there were so many things to level in the Magic tree that your impression of it is probably kind of skewed.

Of course, you could always just grind early, amass a ton of gold, and do the donation/quicksave thing during the Archeologist quest to be, uh, forever 21 :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Leper Residue posted:

Good games sell at regular price. lovely games don't, and this guy is all butt hurt about it.
Maybe he has a crew he has to split profits between, too? gently caress, if I could sell four hundred thousand copies at $1 personal income each, I'd be an unbelievably happy man. You have four or five people on your team and estimate half for taxes, six figures turns into 20, 25 grand each.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 20, 2014

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Quest For Glory II posted:

Started Binary Domain, immediately wished I could remap the controls (aim was Back button, shoot was start, L/R looked up and down?? right stick didn't even work). Not that I can't play it with M+KB but I've been leanback gaming a lot, it's a little disappointing. I'll come back to it later. Obviously that's a glitch or something.
The first thing I thought when I played Binary Domain was that it would've been so great if they had developed it with a co-op campaign in mind. It gives you a fun, cartoonish team with specialized weapon loadouts and even has them gently caress off and do stuff on the side but oftentimes still on screen. A missed opportunity, but I guess it would've been hell to actually implement over the arena poo poo we did get.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Anyway. I decided I'm going to give Alpha Protocol a try again. I gave up on it in the first area even though everyone says the game gets better after it. I'm gonna slog through that first area and get to the better parts this time.
Please do. The Middle East chapter in Alpha Protocol is just badly-designed in general. It's full of blind spots, hacking minigames in open areas in a part of the game before you really have access to EMPs to bypass them, enemies in guard towers juuuuuuust out of reach for someone of your level to snipe, and of course a ton of interactive objects that instantly alert enemies in a part of the game where getting spotted is a death sentence. The setpieces are generic military base poo poo so not only are they bland crap you've seen a hundred times in a hundred movies and games, but it can get really easy to get turned around in them--especially the airstrip and the final area.

Compared to the rest of the game, it's goddamn night and day. Instead of being down on brown people with funny accents, you slam fat Russians into bars before getting all bro with them and buying them drinks, play email tag with a Timecube conspiracy theorist, and fight everything from gun runners to special agents to black ops poo poo and even Winnie the Pooh.

No, seriously.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

GRID was awesome. It let you choose your name from a bigass list of names, and then the voice actors would call you by that name. I thought for sure other games would do that, but none ever did.
Oh my god, I won GRID 2 in the SA Christmas Contests, I am installing this poo poo right now because it sounds completely stupid and so, so great.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Name one country that isn't awful.
canada because they will happily elect a great man to political office as long as he throws down and beats his shitbag neocon opponent in a sanctioned boxing match

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 29, 2014

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Unfortunately, even with Gentlemen of the Row, SR2 was still very crash-prone. It spoiled a lot of good times, but the same can be said of SR4's final mission in co-op.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Dear Steam Thread,

Please help me make Alpha Protocol run. I'm using Windows 7 64-bit and it crashes once I choose "Play" from the splash menu. I already tried the weird "harvest dlls from System32" trick.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Shock Trooper posted:

I just tried to start playing this recently too and ran into the same problem. On an Nvidia card, you need to uninstall or disable PhysX entirely to fix the crashes.
Yup, I just had to uninstall PhysX and Steam Setup automatically gave me a version that was compatible with AP. Thanks, dude!

That would've been the case, too, because I recently upgraded my computer. My old box used a nice (albeit kind of a lemon) AMD card, but I put an Nvidia card in my new one.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Downs Duck posted:

That's great! Tell us have you fare?

Oh, I've already played AP a bunch of times, just thanks to the recent discussion in this thread I got the itch to install it and play it again. I've never taken over Halbech or allied with Shaheed, so I'll probably see how that works out for me this time.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I'm told that the party on the citadel one is supposed to be quite good, but I was too apathetic over the series by the time they released it, so I can't actually give you a personal recommendation.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mokinokaro posted:

Terraria is a better game in every way.

Edge of Space's big issue is that it still feels incomplete after more than a year and updates just trickle. It's kind of stuck in the same situation as Starbound, but at least with the latter we know the dev's plans.
Please do not buy Edge of Space. I would say its big issue is that it's barely even playable, rather than just "incomplete/low in content" like Starbound. The biggest thing EoS does is send out lovely emails in Courier font talking about how great and rich their lore is.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
First time in Alpha Protocol where I fought Marburg to the death in Rome. I love how he gets so mad that he just drops his gun and runs in to melee you. Pretty good poo poo.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Hmmm Child of Light is $7.50 in the Humble Sale but it's Uplay rather than Steam...... otherwise I don't think any other games were added to their sale, it's mostly the same catalog from yesterday.
Think about it this way: if a game is on Uplay, it's gonna open it whether you have it on Steam or not. Go for it, dude.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I'm trying to get into the Witcher again and remembered some discussion about a combat overhaul mod that was supposed to be pretty good. Is this the one, or is there something else out there?

mcbexx posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/274920/

So this is every furry's wet dream come true? *shudder*
Don't tell me this tech is similar to the one used for that creepy Pikachu game.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 9, 2014

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

tripwood posted:

Yes, it's worth it. But make sure it's set to easy or normal if you like a challenge. It's ball breakingly hard at hard.

Gort posted:

Yeah, that's the one. I haven't played the one for Witcher 1, but the one for Witcher 2 was stellar.

Great, thanks you guys. I'm pretty cruise when it comes to games so I'll probably be tackling it on easy.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

markgreyam posted:

I want to buy one of the Ford Racing games and then play it while I wait for the other two to inevitably drop to $2 on sale.

I misread this as Rob Ford Racing and it sounded fantastic while it lasted.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sober posted:

Connor was only good in the Homestead side missions anyway, the second best part of AC3 after the naval battles.

Thanks to the bonus objectives involving powder kegs and accidentally upgrading the ram, I really, really didn't like the AC3 naval battles. Without those, they would've been great.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Manatee Cannon posted:

There weren't any bonus objectives involving powder kegs in Black Flag. I dunno what he means by accidentally upgrading the ram.
I was talking about AC3, where the most reliable way to breach a hull was by ramming the enemy ship. Unfortunately, if you upgraded the ram, you would do so much damage with a collision that you would instantly destroy anything but a Man-O-War at full sail. Approaching at half sail would expose the kegs without destroying the ship, but on missions with stormy conditions, you might be moving too slowly on approach and not breach the hull, but do too much damage for the enemy ship to survive a second attempt.

It honestly would've been okay if you the missions didn't require you to defeat every single enemy ship available in the stage with the powder keg method since you could realistically crack at least one open, but forcing the player to kill 100% of the enemy units with a technique that has maybe a 50-50 chance of success on rough seas is a little mean.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Sep 10, 2014

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
So does 1:10 hits to scar mean "every tenth hit" or "10% chance to scar per hit"? 'Cause the latter is kinda mean. Does it include the Lost Chapters content? You're right about waiting for a sale: I'm interested, but I'm not $35 interested.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Blacklisted - 97

C'mon, you can only blacklist Slender: The Awakening once.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Play on Classic (ironman optional but encouraged) - easy/normal cheat in your favour and will teach bad habits.
Or just always play on Easy or Normal, nobody gives a gently caress :v:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
So is Dragonfall a sequel to Dead Man's Switch or am I gonna be making a new character?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

I wouldn't be surprised if Freak Futa was an actual character template in this program.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

LibbyM posted:

I see elminage has the time honored tradition of "Spend an hour rerolling characters to get a good stat bonus roll" With the added benefit that "age" resets to 15 every time you reroll bonus stats so all my characters will be 15 to improve rerolling speed.

Edit: That's just for elves, humans will be ten years old.

Rerolling with M won't change your age :eng101:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Elminage had a zero-kb update today and now it's giving me an "executable not found" error even though it verifies as being all there. Anyone else having this problem?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Authorman posted:

It isn't the best Rockstar game (Bully) and it sure as heck isn't the best sandbox game (Sleeping Dogs). It's pretty good, but its mechanics have definitely aged and it goes on way too long.

Try as I might, I just couldn't get into Sleeping Dogs. The combat was fun enough, but something about the setting just bugged me--that whole "Heeeeeey! Buy bong fo' yo' faddah!" Chinatown thing that's present throughout the entire game, probably. You'd think that wouldn't be a dealbreaker, but there you go.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

What's all this then? Are you accusing the game of being racist?

Maybe? I was just kinda uncomfortable with it. Maybe this is a little weaboo of me to say, but I probably would've enjoyed it a lot more if the whole game had a Chinese language track.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Always go with a gamepad for any game that has driving and shooting at the same time, you'll save yourself a lot of headaches.

It feels like I'm coming up on the endgame of Dead Man's Switch and while it was... okay? I was pretty underwhelmed, especially when compared to the SNES Shadowrun, which was fuckin' gigantic. Maybe I'm not because I still only have access to basic Cyberware, but I'm starting to get the itch for a more open-ended experience like Jake Armitage's story was. How does Dragonfall measure up to it?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Drifter posted:

Just tell steam support that the game isn't working on your system and so long as you don't have like five hours+ gametime you should be alright getting a refund (or credit to your steam wallet, since you're gonna be buying more games eventually, right?). They'll tell you it's a one time refund, but I've now gotten like six of them in the past year, so whatever. :shrug:
Maybe they mean "one-time refund for that particular software?" Preventative measures against scammers and dumbasses. I can't imagine them not handing out refunds for a broken-rear end game even if you already got one for a different game that also happened to not work--not really your fault.

TheNintenGenius posted:

Why are artsy indie games so bad at coming up with decent endings anyway? Thinking of things like Braid's "This relationship was actually a metaphor for the atomic bomb!" and Dear Esther's... well, basically everything but its ending was definitely a case of "Yes, yes, you were dead/dying the whole time, your soul is ascending into heaven or something, just loving get on with it so I can uninstall this"
It's probably a case of people who don't think their endings through beforehand, or overthink them during development. I'm not sure why so many people are so opposed to a saccharine ending these days, it's not like we couldn't use them. There's this culture of gratuitous edginess in independent development, whether it's movies or games or whatever. Someone once suggested to me, "oh you should make the dragon die at the end of your game, or have him kill the king, that would be pretty dark!" I pimp-slapped them.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 21, 2014

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Darkhold posted:

I'm ok with it being fairly linear (though I hear it's pretty much one long hallway? Is this accurate?) As long as the combat is fun.

A lot of people enjoyed the combat. I didn't, personally, but I don't really care for combat systems where the AI has a lot of control regardless of how smart it is--and FF13's is very good at what it does.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kibayasu posted:

Not really, why does no actual company support FLAC.

Yeah, that seems a little silly. Like, my hearing isn't good enough to be able to tell the difference between FLAC and MP3s so it doesn't really affect me, but other folks seem to love the format. Steam (unlike Apple's proprietary lossless codec) has no vested interest in not being able to run them. Maybe it's a gigantic pain in the rear end to program support for FLAC?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dominic White posted:

Released silently without any review copies going out to press, too! And it looks like a low-budget XCom clone, complete with wobbly animations and super blurry textures.

Just because nobody reviews it doesn't mean that they didn't get copies :sigh:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I doubt it; most places have a caveat emptor policy since system requirements are listed clearly. Alternatively--and I wouldn't know 'cause I don't know the Sherlock Holmes system specs--if your hardware should meet the specifications and still doesn't run, I wouldn't doubt that you have a good case for that refund.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

botany posted:

Ughhhhh why is Uplay such a loving pain in the rear end. Also why did the devs of Splinter Cell Blacklist think it was a good idea to drop you right into the loving game rather than the menu whenever you start.

Uplay.jpg, dude.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

I finished Assassins Creed Pirates and I'm still not sure which of the 70+ games I've played in the last couple of months has the dumbest video game story but the modern day stuff in this game would probably rank in the top 5 (major dumb story spoiler: you play video games to datamine for the illuminati and also there's some sort of cyberalien???).

Honestly, I find the modern day stuff to be interesting on a certain level, but they should just go whole hog in one of the upcoming titles and make it an Assassin's Creed game set entirely in modern cities.

assassin's creed: eugene, oregon

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ddraig posted:

I guess you can sort of get away with it in the Renaissance and perhaps during the colonial period since the costumes typically associated with such things did have a sort of foppish element that would allow such a scheme to work and not stand out hugely.. but the Wild West? I just can't really see it.

Poncho + flavor hat, motherfucker. You can even do sash-ey things with them.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Crappy Jack posted:

Keep up with the Ezio theme, give us a British dandy skilled with two guns, give us a dedicated "twirl guns around fingers" button that we can press for as long as we like, have him teach those uncivilized brutes a thing or two.

I could dig that. they'll just make him offensively canadian

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

They also suggested the Summer of Love as a time period and I have no idea how they'd pull that off but I'd love to see them try

You know they'd fail miserably, Jimi would be an empty NPC that spews out a few lines at the beginning of the game. Benjamin Franklin shoulda been Connor's bff.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
So this Tomb Raider reboot is pretty great, thanks to Ragequit for bringing the GMG sale to my attention. When I bought it, I was like, "ennhh, Tomb Raider? I can't believe I'm buying this" and now I'm like "oh my god it's Uncharted except you can power your character up and I don't need to buy a PStriple!"

I only just started it, but, uh... they wouldn't happen to be making a sequel, would they? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
They'll import mostly cleanly. You might have to redownload 10-100 megs, which is much less painful than pulling down 20gb at 150KB/s.

• Locked thread