Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I realized earlier that I have over 500 Steam achievements, which is fewer than one per hour of gameplay. I could have learned Spanish by now if lancing peasant villagers in Mount & Blade wasn't so fun.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Hmm, not seeing a sticky about this thread so I'm thinking it's unofficial.

That just makes posting in here more exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Quest For Glory II posted:

I keep forgetting there are demos on Steam because barely any games have them anymore.

We'll always have the Battlefield 1942 wake island demo

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

The Kins posted:

Not anymore! Gamespy shut down, remember?

I didn't know. I've not played Battlefield 1942 in years, but it was great in its day. That Desert Combat mod was brilliant.

Palpek posted:

So I finished LIMBO, cool game, some of the near end levels where pretty difficult but overall a satisfying ending. Then I learn that there's a secret level hidden in one of the chapters and holy poo poo is it some impossible poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ_oHJ_zBho

I'd probably spend days trying to beat this.

Limbo is wonderful. I took a look at that hidden level the other day when achievement whoring. I think I have all of them except for Ding! and whatever achievement it is that you get for beating the game with no more than 5 deaths.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Gort posted:

I was kinda perplexed that Diablo 3 had zero choices throughout the entire game and you were just supposed to accept stuff like, "Reassembling this clearly evil undead necromancer dude is a good idea that will work out well for us" while he mwahahas it up in the background.

Palladium posted:

A Diablo III with no story other than "Diablo is there, kill him" would still be better than full Metzen we got.

Spiderdrake posted:

D3 is just painful. They have so much money. Hire a real person instead of a used up husk please.

Blizzard has a George Lucas problem. The "idea people" at Blizzard are the wealthy boss guys from the early days who're propped up by talented programmers, musicians, and artists. Instead of hiring professional writers and directors, they put themselves in the driver's seat and come up with the terrible scripts and direction we see in the Diablo and Starcraft sequels. They can't even get the fundamental tone right in Diablo. Look at what they did to the Butcher. Look at those godawful cutscenes from Starcraft II. It's nothing but cackling villains now. This is some very basic stuff that they don't seem to understand. These games are well-made, and a merely passable effort would skate by. But the writing and direction is distractingly poor.

duckfarts posted:

PC master race

I take advantage of every excuse to repost this image:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

Thief plunged in price almost immediately but that's probably because nobody bought it.

If those taffers had actually made a proper reboot, by the Builder I'd have bought myself a copy.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Chris Metzen is like the goth teenager in high school who is always doodling giant demon cocks in his notebook. Take a look at some of his wonderful art from the Diablo 1 manual.

His Wikipedia entry describes him as a "game designer, artist, voice actor and author..." Such talent!

He is also taking fashion advice from Bono, apparently.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

This is the short version:

But if you want a detailed analysis of why it's a bad stealth game, feel free to read this: http://sneakybastards.net/stealthreview/thief-design-analysis-contents/

By stretching the review out over a dozen mini-reviews, he has resorted to stating the obvious (in pedantic detail) about every element he discusses. Example:

"These inputs are processed by the antagonistic force within the level that then reacts with identifiable outputs..."

:jerkbag:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

I stopped playing Deus Ex: HR about 1/3 of the way through the game, but I liked it... I need to get back into it. I played the hell out of the original game. My only complaint about the stylish successor (Invisible War doesn't count) is that Adam's raspy speech hurts my throat.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

San Andreas, however, even after all these years remains close to gaming perfection for me. The graphics are a little dated and ugly and not all the mechanics are as polished as they could be, but the marriage of gameplay, story, art direction, voice work etc is just phenomenal. If I could have a complete remake in the Euphoria engine (or whatever it is that GTAV uses) I would be in heaven.

Great game; I played it a lot and beat it. The problem for me is that I couldn't ever get behind the voice actor for CJ. The guy's voice bothered me. For all of the stuff CJ gets up to, I think he needed to sound more like a mover and shaker. The voice actor just sounded way too laid back. He sounded like a guy who'd talk big, but then just smoke dope on his Grove Street porch. Not someone who would go out and get stuff done — someone like Big Smoke. I want to play as Big Smoke. I want to tell CJ all he had to do was follow the drat train.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Say what? Now, I haven't played GTAV yet but I think Tommy is the most likeable of them all. At least he isn't pretending he's not a crazy gently caress. Also, Ray Liotta is like an amazing choice for a voice actor.

I wouldn't call him a nice guy, or likeable. But then again I always act like an rear end in a top hat when I play so it blended well. They did snag a good voice actor, too.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

24 hour Humble Bundle:

$1

Probability 0
Electronic Super Joy: Groove City

BTA (currently $2.51)

Electronic Super Joy
Bit.Trip Runner 2

$7

Kick Beat

There have been so many great Humble Bundles; they make this one seem mediocre. My refined palate refuses these offerings.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

Skywind is looking really cool, just watched the new teaser video for it where they showed off some various locales. It's really cool that people put together such massive content mods for nothing more than something to put on their resume.

There are a ton of quests to script, and I can see it taking quite a while to be released. It does look great, though. The FAQ lists Tribunal and Bloodmoon as a requirement, but doesn't indicate whether the expansions will be included.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

$5 for Crusader Kings 2, Terraria, and KoF XIII. What a deal. I wonder what they will add.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

HardDisk posted:

Doesn't the $15 level gives you AoEII:HD? :raise: Or is it a case of "everybody but me :negative: has it already"?

It's not a terrible deal, but you would be paying $10 extra for the AoE II HD stuff, which is diminishing returns when compared to what you get for $1 or the $5 bundles.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

In other news I was playing Hitman: Absolution. I wasn't impressed by it. In fact, the opening level really turned me off. Why did the woman you were suppose to kill have to be naked? I get the feeling I am suppose to be turned on by looking at a dying woman covered in nothing in a towel and...just no.

And why did we feel a 1960 Hippie Commune was needed as part of a police chase. You might as well have made Time Travel part of the story.

Give me a more polished Blood Money with fun levels and I will buy the franchise till the cows come home.

SynthOrange posted:

I'd buy that for a dollar!

:hfive:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Mortimer posted:

Contracts was less polished but had additional levels :shrug:

the next game is gonna have the unreal announcer announcing your m-m-m-monster noscope streak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh3a4stNaf4
in case anyone wasn't familiar with hitman, this 2 minute video tells you everything you need to know about why absolution was disappointing

I played Silent Assassin and Contracts when they were new. Contracts had a nice, dark atmosphere, but Blood Money was overall a superior game.

That Absolution clip is pretty silly, but the disguise mechanics are what really turned me off of buying the game. I play fewer games these days so I don't want to spend time on mediocre sequels that lack the old magic (see also: Thief).

I AM BRAWW posted:

I do love the good ol' "Absolution is total loving poo poo and is the worst game ever because it's not Blood Money 2, which is what I expected it to be when I bought it." argument. Fricken epic.

Is anyone here actually saying this?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Azran posted:

Stores in Argentina seem to be pretty devoid of PC games. They are hella cheap in comparison to console games (8 pesos = 1 dollar. 1000 pesos is a new console game from last year. 250 is the highest you will see for a PC game in a store.)

Also tons of 1C games.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

:raise:

1000 / 8 = . . . . 125 :stonk: What the hell?! I knew the taxes for importing hardware were nuts, but holy poo poo.

No wonder they keep defaulting. :rimshot:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

lordfrikk posted:

Is anyone here following Starsector (Starfarer)? It's been in development since 2010 so I'm wondering what's the current state of the game and if it's nearing completion or at least something resembling final version.

I played one patch ago. From time to time I'll check the development blog. It seems to be moving along at a leisurely pace. Not having modded the game, I have no insight into how the latest patch improved the depth of the game with mods. If playing strictly Vanilla I doubt it has much staying power.

LLCoolJD fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 23, 2014

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

spudsbuckley posted:

So, when does The Banner Saga actually get good?

After about 2 hours of play all i've encountered is Crap Oregon Trail That Doesn't Matter mixed with Babbys First Turn Based Strategy.

Also, it looks like an iPad game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6PAi6QXOx8

I've never played The Banner Saga, and I think this review probably provides more entertainment than the game itself.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Eruonen posted:

RCT2 is easily the best one for that, and in fact the best one in the series. I don't think it's on Steam but I believe GOG has it.

I still remember building tons of "money loop" coasters to beat the levels. Launch start, a loop, and a dead-end hill to slow and then return the cars to the platform. Quick ride, massive profit. They fund your crazy dream coasters.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

I'm probably missing something very obvious, but how do you access soundtracks acquired in the Humble Bundle deals? I get the Steam keys no problem, but I don't remember any prompts for the soundtracks.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Awesome! posted:

down at the bottom where you can download the DRM free copies there is a soundtrack option

Ah, thanks.

Brackhar posted:

The Swapper is great.

Totally going to wait for a cheap copy of this. So many games in the backlog now thanks to the Humble Bundle. I no longer have any urgency about getting certain games.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Darkrenown posted:

Ahaha:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/234060/
Due to Hitler being assassinated by US agents in 1942, Germany decides not to invade Russia, instead invading the USA. Please ignore the fact that Germany invaded Russia in 1941, and that they have no navy capably of moving or supplying troops to the United Kingdom, let alone moving or supplying troops to the United States :ssh:

Fixed to hammer home the point even more. Sorry if this starts a flame war with Nazi war machine apologists.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

crabrock posted:

FEWER.

FEWER WORDS

The Steam thread is also the Griefing thread.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

I know I'm in like-minded company when posts still refer to AMD cards as ATI cards.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Occultatio posted:

I know we just had a similar discussion, but :(

I know that, the gaming market being what it is, I can't honestly recommend getting Full Bore at the full $15 price point, but if you like puzzle platforming games then do please consider wishlisting it for the next big sale or something. I honestly feel bad that I got it in the bundle, since I had already heard of and had my eye on it, and it's a really exceptional game and easily worth at least $5-7. I'll probably buy some copies to gift the next time there's a less ludicrous price drop.

Supply and demand is crushing these people. With great games like FTL, Terraria, Hotline: Miami, Super Meat Boy, Minecraft, Limbo, Braid, Spelunky, and others crowding the indie market, who but the most dedicated gamer has the time and money for the lesser-known releases? They really have to be innovative to get our $$$.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Drifter posted:

I don't understand. if the simulation is crashing can't you just log out and reboot the system or something? Why all the hectic behavior? So weird.
You're a dude wearing a VR helmet, it's not like you can die.

Clearly you don't understand The Matrix-level bullshit storytelling.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Palpek posted:

The newest game on Steam: The Slaughtering Grounds.

This can't be real, right? Those low-res blood splatters with not fully removed noise, my god.

It reminds me of the game demos you used to see on HappyPuppy.com back in the "first-gen" days of the internet. :corsair:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Krazyface posted:

Is steam completely making GBS threads the bed for anyone else? I can't log in, and I can't even apply for an account retrieval because "Steam cannot currently process your request".

Yeah it's down for me here in Virginia.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

New Leaf posted:

Edit: I just got Mount & Blade Warband.. I've never played any of these, but for $4? I'm down.

Good choice! The graphics aren't great, but the gameplay can be really satisfying.

Once you get the hang of the combat, you really should download the Native Expansion mod:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,314778.0.html

or (if you're into bad voice acting and power-gaming) the Prophesy of Pendor mod:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,126952.0.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

theultimo posted:

Jesus I cant believe these people, lol 4500. It's insane.

4640 here. If you want an "elite" group you basically have to join right after the reset and chance to pick one of the heavy autoclicker games.

• Locked thread